Thread: A member of my family

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A member of my family

My dad was tested as an mbti INTJ after he had completed an mbti test sponsored by one of his previous companies. However, I don't think he's my look-a-like 'cos I'm easily frustrated by him.

He is a quiet and reserved person, but whenever he talks about his favorite topic, he would get excited and go on and on and doesn't know when to stop. He reads up extensively and considers himself a walking encyclopedia. He enjoys giving non-fiction books to people as gifts which consisted mainly of self-help books.

He is a workaholic and a lifelong learner. He is busy pursuing degrees and going for night classes.

He is a rather messy person. He enjoys hoarding stuff which he thinks are useful in future. He didn't seem to mind how messy the house is with the books lying around everywhere and he seemed to know where to find the book he needs atm. Moreover, he likes to buy budget stuff and wouldn't mind wearing the same clothes for years, even though they look rather worn out. He is not a very organized person. Whenever he is preparing for a business trip, he would pack his baggage only on the day of departure and the whole family would be in a frenzy reminding him to bring the essential documents and stuff.

He considers himself someone who thinks ahead of his time. He is rather opinionated and used to be a regular contributor on the newspaper forum. He tends to give suggestions about the need for the country to implement such-and-such system, based on the experience he had from his business trips.

He rarely gives compliment and is more prone to giving criticisms. For example, when my mum starts reprimanding me over something I had done, he would join in the criticisms without knowing what was going on. He seemed to find fault over the slightest mistake I have made eg. calling me "absent-minded" and "dreamer" when all I did was to misplace my keys.

Whenever he gets excited, he would sound rather argumentative and reprimanding without realizing it. He also enjoys giving advice to people and even though he mentioned that it is up to us whether we would follow his advice eventually, he seems to suggest that he wants us to follow his advice. For example, back when I was deciding which university course to take, he strongly advocated the merits of an Accountancy degree. Even when I told him that I'm not interested in it and suggested another course I had in mind, he would say something like "It's up to you. It's your own future. This course sounds practical and interesting, but you really should consider Accountancy 'cos it enables women to be powerful and....."

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A member of my family

The whole description is blatantly intuitive.

He enjoys giving non-fiction books to people as gifts which consisted mainly of self-help books.
    Te.

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    Moreover, he also like to buy budget stuff on sale and wouldn't mind wearing the same clothes for years, even though they look rather worn out.
    Non-valued Si.

Whenever I made a subtle joke, he usually takes it at face value.
    Weak Fe.

For example, whenever my mum asked for his help on the household chores, he would usually push it to me instead of my bro. Having mentioned that, he is also a rather bad cook. He always proclaimed that cooking is easy 'cos he never follows procedures in doing it. He just dumps everything in and let it cook for awhile, and he calls it food.
    Weak Si.

He rarely gives compliment and is more prone to giving criticisms.
    T > F.

He is a weird health nut. I can never have peace while having my meal. He would make silly comments like "eat more beancurd, it helps to burn fats", "vegetables are good for you and you should eat them raw. I went to Thailand and I saw them eating it raw and.......", "how can you not eat fish? Fish is good for your eyes." And when my bro and I don't want to eat them, he would be like "but I want you to grow up big and strong". When I'm relaxing, he would be like "do you want to be fat? Why aren't you exercising?"
    Si Role?

Whenever he gets excited as he talks, he would sound rather argumentative and reprimanding without realizing it. He also enjoys giving advice to people and even though he mentioned that it is up to us whether we would follow his advice eventually, he seems to suggest that he wants us to follow his advice. For example, back when I was deciding which university course to take, he strongly advocated the merits of an Accountancy degree. Even when I told him that I'm not interested in it and suggested another course I had in mind, he would say something like "It's up to you. It's your own future. This course sounds practical and interesting, but you really should consider Accountancy 'cos it enables women to be powerful and.....", or when I accepted another course, he would be like "OK, good for you. You have finally made a decision. I have read up in the papers that the industry is currently lacking health care professionals.......but are you sure that you don't want Accountancy? 'Cos having an Accountancy degree has such-and-such benefits. For example...."
    Gamma NT. Based on your relationship with him, and the "lifelong learning" thing I would instinctively say INTp.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember a post you wrote a while back about your parents. the way you talked about their interaction reminded me of the interaction between my dad (ENTj) and my mom (ESFj.) i'm inclined to think ENTj, too, at the least gamma NT. very .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess Gamma NT is more likely than Alpha NT. Probably INTp > ENTj. I can't imagine ENTj as been quiet and reserved and giving silly gifts such as books (that's the worst gift u can give to someone imo.). Moreover, I don't think he's my mum's dual and my semi-dual.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine ENTj as been quiet and reserved and giving silly gifts such as books (that's the worst gift u can give to someone imo.).
    I can see that easily. He's either INTp or ENTj, but there were glimpses of EJ temperament in the "workaholic and lifelong learner". Why wouldn't an ENTj give books as gifts? As thehotelambush pointed out, that's one manifestation of .
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, enables to be powerful??

Anyway, I don't really see anything against Ti-INTj. Think about UDP without the doubts and hesitations: he could easily come across the way described by eunice.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A book is a silly gift????

I vote ENTj too
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to see ENTj. He follows the Alpha NT dream of being a life-long learner + politically active. Sounds like an ENTp I once knew.
    He tends to give suggestions about the need for the country to implement such-and-such system, based on the experience he had from his business trips.
    From http://socionics.us/works/gulenko_quadras.shtml:

"First quadra has the corresponding to its values social mission. Its destination - creation and the propagation of the new concepts of social development. Briefly it would be possible to name this role enlightenment. , where are grouped socionic types of this quadras, they are always conceived and begin to be extended the new public, scientific and political flows, capable in the future of steeply changing historical process."
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess Gamma NT is more likely than Alpha NT. Probably INTp > ENTj. I can't imagine ENTj as been quiet and reserved and giving silly gifts such as books (that's the worst gift u can give to someone imo.). Moreover, I don't think he's my mum's dual and my semi-dual.
    Why are books the worsts gifts??
    I like receiving books as gifts.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    He enjoys giving non-fiction books to people as gifts which consisted mainly of self-help books.
    Te.
    If that is pure Te, then I am pure Te. I have recommended such books to people numerous times.

He is a weird health nut. I can never have peace while having my meal. He would make silly comments like "eat more beancurd, it helps to burn fats", "vegetables are good for you and you should eat them raw. I went to Thailand and I saw them eating it raw and.......", "how can you not eat fish? Fish is good for your eyes." And when my bro and I don't want to eat them, he would be like "but I want you to grow up big and strong". When I'm relaxing, he would be like "do you want to be fat? Why aren't you exercising?"
    Si Role?
    INTjs are health nuts.
    I am especially aware of fat people.

Whenever he gets excited as he talks, he would sound rather argumentative and reprimanding without realizing it. He also enjoys giving advice to people and even though he mentioned that it is up to us whether we would follow his advice eventually, he seems to suggest that he wants us to follow his advice. For example, back when I was deciding which university course to take, he strongly advocated the merits of an Accountancy degree. Even when I told him that I'm not interested in it and suggested another course I had in mind, he would say something like "It's up to you. It's your own future. This course sounds practical and interesting, but you really should consider Accountancy 'cos it enables women to be powerful and.....", or when I accepted another course, he would be like "OK, good for you. You have finally made a decision. I have read up in the papers that the industry is currently lacking health care professionals.......but are you sure that you don't want Accountancy? 'Cos having an Accountancy degree has such-and-such benefits. For example...."
    Gamma NT. Based on your relationship with him, and the "lifelong learning" thing I would instinctively say INTp.
    He's could very well be an INTj who is being somewhat of an ass to you because he knows how you work systematically, and sees these needs. He knows your potential. (Consider XoX's type thread and my actions). It is easy for me to get that way with my subordinate friends, as in, people who strike me as my little brother or sister. It has to do with having an role that makes you feel responsible for them. And it takes a lot for us to step away from the 'logic' and realize people need to be addressed in a softer way. (That has been a big lesson of both socionics and dualization for me)

And, I am in the process of going into accounting. (Though my real interest lies in Management -- see the STRONG interest thread)

Anyway, I don't really see anything against Ti-INTj. Think about UDP without the doubts and hesitations: he could easily come across the way described by eunice.
    That's just it - you people see "doubts and hesitations" here online, which is because I come here to obtain feedback purposely. When dealing with other situations and other people, the INTJ "aura of definiteness" comes into play much more.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would an INTp want to exercise so much control over you? He would criticize and offer advice, but I don't know if he would try to domineer in such a way, or enjoy being in a position where he had to.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see how INTj Ti subtype is probable from what UDP had described. On the other hand, I remember UDP started a thread about INTjs and music, and what he mentioned about his attitude towards music and his roommate's preference seemed familiar to me. I enjoy listening to music to the extent that I can eat, breathe and live listening to music. It really bothers my dad 'cos he finds it distracting and he only likes it in small amounts.

About giving books as gifts, it really bothers me alot 'cos he does it excessively and he doesn't give surprises. He gives me rather boring books with titles such as "You are a University Student", "Study Smarter, Not Harder", "Follow Your Heart", "Been Happy", "How to Win and Influence People" etc. The *only* book which he had given me that I had enjoyed so far is "Sophie's World" (although the book is actually a hand-me-down 'cos he bought it and realized later that he wasn't very interested in the theme.)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are good gifts!

Anyway, my room mate is CLEARLY not a subtype, he's definitely on the Ne side. He's much more emotional than I am, in terms of appreciating what I consider sappy music of films. He is a few years younger than I as it is, but nevertheless, we are not the same type of LII.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask your dad what he thinks about Stephen Covey's works. If you want to impress him, (if he likes Covey's works), pick up a copy of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", or "The 8th Habit" (read The 7 H first).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when are you gonna give this 7 habits thing a rest?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's like asking you when you are going to stop replying with "kill them" to any sort of interpersonal issue.

I didn't bring it up out of context - we are on the subject of self-improvement literature.
    It's related, so I'm never going to stop talking about them.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very related.

uh huh.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright - let's here your opinion on them: what don't you like about them and why? Let's have the whole story on why you feel the way you do about them

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in short, the advice they offer is extremely stupid.

all of the habits are either a complete waste of time or so obvious that there's absolutely no point in writing about them. and none of them offer any real advice as to how things should be done. to follow them as a doctrine is totally pointless and largely for losers who have so little clue what they're doing that they need a system to follow to figure out how to do things productively.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    in short, the advice they offer is extremely stupid.

all of the habits are either a complete waste of time or so obvious that there's absolutely no point in writing about them. and none of them offer any real advice as to how things should be done. to follow them as a doctrine is totally pointless and largely for losers who have so little clue what they're doing that they need a system to follow to figure out how to do things productively.
    +
    &

=

Creepy-bg

what's on top of the peanut butter in that sandwich?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    i thought it was marshmallow fluff!
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    i thought it was marshmallow fluff!
    hmmm sounds like it could be a bit sweet, but on the otherhand peanut butter probably offsets that... next time somebody gets a jar of that marshmallow spread stuff I'll have to try it. I bet it's best with the unsweetened x-tra chunky...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not a very complicated set of images

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    It is not a very complicated set of images
    you greatly underestimate my stupidity...

(lol I just now got it)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    Ask your dad what he thinks about Stephen Covey's works. If you want to impress him, (if he likes Covey's works), pick up a copy of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", or "The 8th Habit" (read The 7 H first).
    He bought a copy of 7 Habits for me, but I returned it back to him, which he later passed it to my bro. I'm not really interested in reading it initially b'cos the advice described seemed obvious: doing the most important and urgent task first and so on. Anyway, I think I will give the book a chance after my exams are completed. Come to think of it, my dad bought books specially for the family, based on our specific needs. My bro got Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" for example. On the side note, he gave me an advice last week over something (I forgot what was it about): "Begin with the end in mind."(It sounds familiar. )

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell your dad that someone thinks he gives excellent gifts.

It is not unusual for an LII to give advice people don't want to hear, or don't understand, as it seems "too simple"... when in reality they are simply pointing out the most important core elements, that, if you don't have correct, nothing else can be correct that would manifest from it.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see how INTj Ti subtype is probable from what UDP had described. On the other hand, I remember UDP started a thread about INTjs and music, and what he mentioned about his attitude towards music and his roommate's preference seemed familiar to me. I enjoy listening to music to the extent that I can eat, breathe and live listening to music. It really bothers my dad 'cos he finds it distracting and he only likes it in small amounts.
    Not related to INTj vs. ENTj. It just suggests low S + F (namely low Si and Fe).

About giving books as gifts, it really bothers me alot 'cos he does it excessively and he doesn't give surprises.
    That is due to Ne vs. Ni quadra values. You want the gift to be interesting whereas he doesn't really give a shit as long as it's perceived to be part of preparation for your future or something.

My bro got Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" for example. On the side note, he gave me an advice last week over something (I forgot what was it about): "Begin with the end in mind."(It sounds familiar. )
    Which have previously been linked on this forum with Gamma & Ni, respectively.

The *only* book which he had given me that I had enjoyed so far is "Sophie's World" (although the book is actually a hand-me-down 'cos he bought it and realized later that he wasn't very interested in the theme.)
    Sophie's World, as I understand it, is much more of an Ne type of book.