Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are good professions/occupations for an SLE-ESTp?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are good professions/occupations for an SLE-ESTp?

So what professions are ESTps likely to be good at? (excluding sports, business and crime )
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aahahhaha.

I am good with computers. Always been good with tools and the like. So something related, I've worked here and there as a technician. However I could never be a programmer, because sitting in the same room all day long would be equal to my death. This unless the job had a schedule allowing me a lot of free time (basically, an 8-4 job would be the only cop out I'd be willing to accept).

Many ESTps I know that go for higher education shoot for engineering and architecture other than business. I think that one of the descriptions of Se types said that they often become good engineers and architects; I could see myself as the former, not really as the latter.

Some others prefer to have graphic-music-related jobs. I know ESTp-Djs, although this doesn't seem to be an option that can last a lifetime.

I even know 2 ESTp university professors, but I think that it's only viable when the ESTp has burnt himself out completely with drugs and alchool and sports and travel and everything, so that he is able to sit on a chair all day doing computations.

Then there are the enneagram-3 ones that I can't really stand that shoot for CEO positions making a big deal on how they will have great authority over large amounts of people. Blah.

I personally don't know what the hell I'm going to do. I'm trying to get a hold of as many practical skills as possible while I go through college, because I don't want to end it without any knowledge of how things actually work. The option would be trying a sports-related career (cycling, or dancing), but it's not easy, there is a lot of unhealthy competition. I have been suggested some ideas for internet related businesses that seem to be good, and that I want to try to implement when I get hold of the necessary money.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

delete

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're good for INFps
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTps are often good salesmen, where their inclinations are best used in technical sales where they can be persuasive but also using logic. I have known a few and I worked very closely with one. The logical subtypes would generally be best, however, the sensory subtypes will look annoying and "trying to ram the product down the customer's throats" to some people, without noticing.

But I guess this is included in "business".

Other real examples I am aware of personally, and not in business --

- professional scuba diver working for the police (recovering corpses etc) - a job that would fit FDG's criteria, I think - not regular hours (but this is a bit of "sports" and "crime", in a way)
    - Hollywood cameraman and TV producer
    - PhD chemist (a girl)
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some others --

- another PhD chemical engineer - a guy - now a production manager
    - another female engineer, a girl - she married a British army officer, an ISTj I think
    - a telecommunications engineer, a guy, working for a major TV network
    - a mechanical engineer in the automotive industry - a guy

As FDG said, ESTps often go for technical higher education in fields such as engineering. Once there, though, they are likely to prefer "active" jobs rather than those requring sitting at a computer the whole day.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my estp ex was great at construction. he built a deck in our back yard with no written plan or even a drawing...just built it from his mind. it came out beautifully straight.

he could fix or build anything. and his workmanship was really good, he had a great attention to details.

he had good emergency medical skills, too, and a great understanding of how to manipulate the body. one of the kids would get a sliver or something, and he'd be able to coax it right out.

he was like the pied piper with people, too, he get large groups of people to follow his lead and people felt extremely loyal to him.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MY ESTp's favorite subjects in school were political science and philosophy. He tried to do engineering since it's the only type of job you can get here, but he didn't have the patience for it. He also thought about being a lawyer (he's an excellent arguer) but that market's flooded here. Right now he does sales for the company he will soon be taking over.
    I think they'd do good at any job that allowed them to deal with people, especially from a possision of authority.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    MY ESTp's favorite subjects in school were political science and philosophy. He tried to do engineering since it's the only type of job you can get here, but he didn't have the patience for it. He also thought about being a lawyer (he's an excellent arguer) but that market's flooded here. Right now he does sales for the company he will soon be taking over.
    I think they'd do good at any job that allowed them to deal with people, especially from a possision of authority.
    I'd personally prefer to be indipendant from people, like, I think at technical job would be the best for me - I am not going to live for my job, never, and authority usually implies that you have to be there for people even when the working hours end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hookers/strippers

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by science as magic
    hookers/strippers
    Yeah, I think stripping is an awesome job actually. I mean, you just have to go there, dance semi-naked, and get the money.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FDG-He's in a position of authority now and yes his phone will ring at any time of the night and he might have to go take care of something somewhere at 2 am, but despite his complaints he really likes being in charge. And of course independence is a must, one of the perks of being in authority, you can tell others what to do but hey can't tell you
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hookers/strippers
    Aren't they more likely to be pimps if the stereotypes about them are correct?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dominants, so as I figure it they're good at telling things apart from each other. Good at assessing numbers, strengths in ways that most people will agree with. (when they aren't letting call the shots) Also, good at seeing things others might miss.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in all seriousness i think estps are good for challenging shitty circumstances and turning them around into opportunities for success. a positive example of this behavior would be a fellow i knew who immigrated here from china and became a self-made millionaire by selling vacuum cleaners door to door and eventually opening his own shop. he went from utter squalor to riches through sheer motivation to escape the shit that was his life. a "negative" example would be drug dealers/arms dealers/etc that turn to crime because of how lucrative it is because they will not put up with being stuck in poverty. i think societies tend to take advantage of their weakest members and when you have a lot of estps on the bottom that can be quite a good thing because THEY WILL NOT PUT UP WITH BEING TREATED LIKE SHIT and whether they car jack you and kill you to "balance things out" or start their own company etc etc doesn't matter. what matters is that they push back and cause change that benefits the whole (in the long run) by forcing the integration of many radical and beneficial forms of sentience into the panoply of life that would not have a chance to exist otherwise.

my earlier comments weren't serious.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmm, that reminds me of Tyler Durden in Fight Club

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in all seriousness i think estps are good for challenging shitty circumstances and turning them around into opportunities for success.
    I guess any type can be successful but I do not know many "successful" ESTps myself, except for two in the financial field and one airline pilot.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan
    in all seriousness i think estps are good for challenging shitty circumstances and turning them around into opportunities for success.
    I guess any type can be successful but I do not know many "successful" ESTps myself, except for two in the financial field and one airline pilot.
    Finance is more or less where I'm intended to head, too, as the most "realistic" interpretation.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in all seriousness i think estps are good for challenging shitty circumstances and turning them around into opportunities for success. a positive example of this behavior would be a fellow i knew who immigrated here from china and became a self-made millionaire by selling vacuum cleaners door to door and eventually opening his own shop. he went from utter squalor to riches through sheer motivation to escape the shit that was his life. a "negative" example would be drug dealers/arms dealers/etc that turn to crime because of how lucrative it is because they will not put up with being stuck in poverty. i think societies tend to take advantage of their weakest members and when you have a lot of estps on the bottom that can be quite a good thing because THEY WILL NOT PUT UP WITH BEING TREATED LIKE SHIT and whether they car jack you and kill you to "balance things out" or start their own company etc etc doesn't matter. what matters is that they push back and cause change that benefits the whole (in the long run) by forcing the integration of many radical and beneficial forms of sentience into the panoply of life that would not have a chance to exist otherwise.
    Well put. That's a big part of understanding .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a good ESTP who's probably going in the direction of broadcasting.
    The kid's really confident, communicable, outgoing, well-thought, entusiastic, etc.
    He's very good at taking charge of situations and organizing his environment to best attain what he wants, of which he has a very clear idea of, might I add.
    I dunno.
    There's a lot of occupations that require those kind of traits that I think he'd be rather good at.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that wasn't intended to be about careers in particular that was just a "case in point." i was defining success as "getting what you want"

my 12 year old brother is good at selling stuff. and he's a math wiz. i think he dreams of becoming an engineer. not sure. but i think he'd be an excellent businessman. he also loves computer games, sports and nature.

my 12 year old brother is good at selling stuff. and he's a math wiz. i think he dreams of becoming an engineer. not sure. but i think he'd be an excellent businessman. he also loves computer games, sports and nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTPs are good at getting mad at people.
    And also knowing that they are right.

And also spearheading their own unique creative visions in a typically hostile and treacherous music business (congrats on your new record, pk! and for using us artschool washouts as loveable tools to be used for your ends! no srsly, ur great)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTPs are good at getting mad at people.
    And also knowing that they are right.

And also spearheading their own unique creative visions in a typically hostile and treacherous music business (congrats on your new record, pk! and for using us artschool washouts as loveable tools to be used for your ends! no srsly, ur great)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GillySaysGoodbye
    I agree. Se communication is really interesting. It's always a power struggle. There may be a sense of unity, but when it comes to accomplishing tasks together Se types take no issues in being assertive, and insulting(verbal, or non-verbal) to their workmate for poor performance. It's really not so bad if you aren't offended and are able to stick up for yourself(this is an absolute must with Se types. And if you earn their respect you will find them sticking up for you.) Se types are also fine with displays with anger. If one Se type gets mad at another there may be a conflict, but eventually they both won't care. Confrontation is natural to them, and consequently getting over it is just as natural. Se is an interesting function, and probably the easiest to spot since it's carriers have an inclination to bold behaviour. I've seen it manifest poorly in people who are authoritative, materialistic, or uneducated. But, if a person is any of these things, they are going to be shitty regardless of type.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GillySaysGoodbye
    I agree. Se communication is really interesting. It's always a power struggle. There may be a sense of unity, but when it comes to accomplishing tasks together Se types take no issues in being assertive, and insulting(verbal, or non-verbal) to their workmate for poor performance. It's really not so bad if you aren't offended and are able to stick up for yourself(this is an absolute must with Se types. And if you earn their respect you will find them sticking up for you.) Se types are also fine with displays with anger. If one Se type gets mad at another there may be a conflict, but eventually they both won't care. Confrontation is natural to them, and consequently getting over it is just as natural. Se is an interesting function, and probably the easiest to spot since it's carriers have an inclination to bold behaviour. I've seen it manifest poorly in people who are authoritative, materialistic, or uneducated. But, if a person is any of these things, they are going to be shitty regardless of type.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinstein

None of us know what you are talking about in this sentence. If not looking crazy is something you strive for, it would be in your interests to explain the situation. I'm actually very curious.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinstein

None of us know what you are talking about in this sentence. If not looking crazy is something you strive for, it would be in your interests to explain the situation. I'm actually very curious.
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heath you sound as though you are personally acquainted with my sle ex. that's exactly how he is...and it got totally annoying in a marriage.

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heath you sound as though you are personally acquainted with my sle ex. that's exactly how he is...and it got totally annoying in a marriage.

ILE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

professional scuba diver working for the police

THATS SOUNDS FREAKING AWESOME! How do you get into that?!?!?

(I'm mainly interested for my boyfriend)

*does searches*
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

professional scuba diver working for the police

THATS SOUNDS FREAKING AWESOME! How do you get into that?!?!?

(I'm mainly interested for my boyfriend)

*does searches*
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    Se types like Ni types because they think they are submissive. In actuality, the Ni type is passive and doesn't care much what the Se type says. They enjoy people who seem strong and desirous. Ah well, sorry about your ex.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se types like Ni types because they think they are submissive. In actuality, the Ni type is passive and doesn't care much what the Se type says. They enjoy people who seem strong and desirous. Ah well, sorry about your ex.
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    yes, the problem came in where i was very willing to stick up for myself and this resulted in constant conflict and offensive language on his part...

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    yes, the problem came in where i was very willing to stick up for myself and this resulted in constant conflict and offensive language on his part...

ILE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my brother's ESTp. when he was little he had a side racket selling trading cards to his classmates until my mom found out and put a stop to it. he has contacts in all kinds of electronics shops and gets good deals everywhere.

but sales is not his profession. he is a pilot, and was the best in his batch. pilot's a good job for him, i think. the snappy uniform, the rank, having authority over his flight, get to look at pretty stewardesses (he's marrying one), get paid a great, great deal, feeling important coz he's responsible for the safety of lots of people - those are things that he likes. he hates having to play the politics within the airline, though, but my mother counsels him on that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what type is your mom?

ILE

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are ESTps good for?

So what professions are ESTps likely to be good at? (excluding sports, business and crime )
    don't know about the professions, but when I go somewhere (party etc) and there is an ESTP in our group, I have 500% more fun then without one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast