Thread: Your best teacher-- which type?

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your best teacher-- which type?

Have you found you learned better from a teacher who was in a good socionic relation to you?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTj, hands down. Identical relations are the best for teaching. Mirror is good too, Duality not so much (although I suppose it would be somewhat different for different types based on what is being taught).

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, I had this teacher whom I really liked. I think she's IxTp.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm interesting. The few INTjs and ENTps ive been in a position to learn from just did not have a very good attitude to teach, but it doesn't speak to how effective they would have been had they been less reluctant.

I think i read that business relations were the most helpful for teaching. However I dont think my INFj friend ever taught me anything, but we were too busy talking about useless things together

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    Eh, I had this teacher whom I admired. I think she's IxTp.
    O. I think my favorite teacher of all time is ENFp!
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    I think i read that business relations were the most helpful for teaching. However I dont think my INFj friend ever taught me anything, but we were too busy talking about useless things together
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I had an INFj teacher who would get into abstract philosophical discussions with me. I found it terribly interesting, but I think it was mainly annoying to many of the students. Anyway, business does seem to be a good teaching relation.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is an interesting topic about which i could probably talk quite a lot and analyze a lot of different classroom situations. at the moment, however, i will discuss the suggested topic.

the best teacher i have ever had is my present math teacher. he is an ILE, a genius, and, incidentally, he is probably the single person whose type i am most certain about. he's the math team coach at my school (a position he only attained this year), and his foremost activities in math consist of looking at "math team" problems and devising new and unconventional solutions to bizarre-looking stuff.

he displays a lot of positivist alpha Fe atmosphere, often incorporating jokes and puns into his class. this may not be a very reliable source, but this link may serve to demonstrate his popularity within the school. he has an extremely unconcerned attitude towards most of what goes into the process of grading, and runs his class more like a party than a strict class. he often plays music during his class. every day he wears a t-shirt from a different college which one of his former students attended; like many alpha NTs, he's very keenly focused on academia and writes a million college recs (i'm going to ask him to write one for me, as well, because he's extremely good at it).

when i first started his class, i found it extremely difficult, as his tests are largely unconventional and, frankly, extremely challenging. whereas other math classes in the school have relatively boring but simple problems (although this is less true of the honors math sequence, to which i pertain), he gives lots of problems that require critical thinking and the use of many different types of methods to solve.

nonetheless, his teaching methods work perfectly fine for me; i can pretty much always follow what's going on while he's discussing problems in class. this is partially a result of the fact that the subject is one at which i am fairly adept; i am not sure what socionics relations has to do with it. but, basically, i do very well in his class and can follow everything he does. i enjoy the relaxed and unconcerned attitude of his class, but i often think that his pop culture references (which he makes a lot of) are pretty stupid. some of his alpha-esque shenanigans (for example, the exaggerated representation of a four-leaf rose polar graph as a clover prior to st. patrick's day) annoy me, but not enough to significantly detract from the enjoyable nature of his class.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTj.

I had him as a psychology teacher. He went in-depth on subjects. He would not only explain a concept, but would also explain the root of words of the topics we were dicussing [the story where the actual word came from/how the word was created]. It could take us a whole hour to get through one paragraph in the text book because the lesson was taught on so many different levels. He did not merely focus on the psychology implication of things, but the biology, English, History, Mathematics, etc. side of things all packed into one.

I don't know about hotel's theory on identicals being the best type. I have found with INFp professors that there is too much emphasis on Fe -- making the student feel good about what they've done instead of assisting them in understanding it better.
    IEI subtype

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    I don't know about hotel's theory on identicals being the best type. I have found with INFp professors that there is too much emphasis on Fe -- making the student feel good about what they've done instead of assisting them in understanding it better.
    Yeah, maybe my experience reflects more the types than the relations.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTJ / ENTP

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTj, ENTp, ENFj.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my own experience:

good teachers:
    -INFp 'cos I always do well in their class
    -ENTp, INTj: they make me think alot
    -ISFp: interactive class, very personable
    -ISTp: very straightforward and don't talk about unnecessary stuff

bad teachers:
    -unhealthy ENTjs who tried too hard to used their , to the extent that it's very painful to watch.

-ISFj: very picky about administrative matters and they like to make a mountain out of a molehill. One ISFj teacher I had in secondary school even singled me out during class by saying that I didn't follow her system of filing the school worksheets like the rest of my classmates and said that I was the "bad apple of the class" just because of that. Moreover, she also showed favoritism to certain individuals in class very blatantly.

-INTp: one lecturer I had for this semester enjoys telling corny jokes and likes stats so much to the extent that he incorporated it in every lesson even though it is a Personality and Individual Differences class.

-ENFp: fun and friendly, but they like to elaborate something out of nothing.

-ESTj: slave drivers

-INFj: I wish they stand out for themselves rather than letting students climb all over their heads.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    ENFp: fun and friendly, but they like to elaborate something out of nothing.
    It's because most ENFp do not know subjects in depth like INTj do. But when they are really knowledgeable, I bet they can shine at teaching.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTj: very funny and knowledgeable
    ISFp: I was the class favourite with her
    INFp: ditto as above!
    ESFj: make me workharder but in way that I don't really resent
    ENFj: they know their shit and they give you compliments if you do well.

Bad:

INTp: arrogant prick
    ENFj: superiority complex
    another ENFj: neurotic freak
    ESTp: used intimidation on the class, but it didn't work on me. he kind liked me for this, but i despised his methods.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would like an example of a helpful INTp teacher.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESFp - (or maybe ESTp) very dynamic and easy to understand. No excess information, and nothing boring. He had excluded all the pointless information, but it still had no logic holes which would keep me from understanding it.

ISTj - or at least that's the only type I can give to a little old woman who acts in a predictable manner and could get I-don't-give-a-shit teenage guys to go all pale at the sound of her voice. She pushed us to know more and gave us praise for good results.

Bad teachers - ISFp - slides are inconsistent, tendency to not be sure of the information they give, lots of excess information to keep the listener's mind busy and prevent them from understanding anything, ask questions that need pointless fact data memorized...
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamma NT's. The only types habitually inclined to present material rather than to maim it to their liking.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My favorite professor has been an INTp. She's not only a wonderful teacher, but just an amazing person. She creates the best class discussions. She is concerned about students learning for learning's sake. Other professors will create very detailed syllabi, and will get upset if we stray from that syllabi for too long. My INTp professor is different. If somebody brings up something interesting, she will go with it and tie it into what we're learning in class. She's the best at tying seemingly unrelated concepts together.

She's a psychology professor and was a professional therapist for many years, so she practices what she's learned. She gives everybody unconditional positive regard and tells us that she doesn't judge us based on our grades. She tells us to drop by her office if we're having a hard time during the semester, because she's great at giving empathy if that's what students need. She's not naturally an emotional person, though. She just understands people.

God, I realize after writing this how much I love that woman. Haha.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April
    My favorite professor has been an INTp. She's not only a wonderful teacher, but just an amazing person. She creates the best class discussions. She is concerned about students learning for learning's sake. Other professors will create very detailed syllabi, and will get upset if we stray from that syllabi for too long. My INTp professor is different. If somebody brings up something interesting, she will go with it and tie it into what we're learning in class. She's the best at tying seemingly unrelated concepts together.

She's a psychology professor and was a professional therapist for many years, so she practices what she's learned. She gives everybody unconditional positive regard and tells us that she doesn't judge us based on our grades. She tells us to drop by her office if we're having a hard time during the semester, because she's great at giving empathy if that's what students need. She's not naturally an emotional person, though. She just understands people.

God, I realize after writing this how much I love that woman. Haha.
    do you think the interactive nature was effective because of the content of the class as well?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex
    Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    ENFp: fun and friendly, but they like to elaborate something out of nothing.
    It's because most ENFp do not know subjects in depth like INTj do. But when they are really knowledgeable, I bet they can shine at teaching.
    I think ENFPs can do well in teaching. It kind of depends on whats being taught and who is being taught. Sometimes the subject needs to be presented in a uncomplicated way that is accessable to young students. If a teacher learns a subject well that does not come easily to them they might even have and advantage over a teacher who understands the subject easily because it falls in their area of confidence. Its because they had to work that much harder and probably had to come at the subject from many different ways in order to understand it. When explaining the subject to students who have difficulty instead of saying/thinking "Just do it like I explained. Whats the problem?" they would say "You know I used to get tripped up here too. Do you know why? I thought .... but if you look at it like this ..... See now it falls into place "

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESxp

IxTj

both together would be like...education sex to me
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clover
    ESxp

IxTj

both together would be like...education sex to me
    yeah once i was studying with an IxFp.., and someone who had a better relation with her than with me.. but I could see ExFj for that guy. Anyway we were very productive! We were studying organic chemsitry and the IxFp willingly became our model for a molecule

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pattern looks like yes the teachers which have been effective have mostly been in a good socionic relation to you.

I thought it was interesting that April mentioned that her teacher was a good person. I don't know if that just says something about April or about their shared Fi.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

My fav teacher ever was prolly a ISFp I had for English - I usually hated the subject, but she gave me space to do my work without agressively critiquing it all the time - it certainly opened new doors for me (although unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity or drive to do creative writing anymore . I think one of my teachers when I was about 6 was ESFj - she also gave me freedom to learn - I think it was quite an important part of life, not getting told of for trivial things etc. (this site is cheaper than therapy isn't it? ).

I had an Alpha NT (probably ENTp T subtype or something) for Physics and he came across as a hardass - I think I thought 'what's the point in trying, he's gonna to fault me for something', only to find that, although he was strict, he was fair - he was funny too, but quite odd in the stories he bought up (he reminds me of me a bit).

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone have a mirror for a teacher and learned?

I have someone who is instructing me and is an ENTp, and I pretty much understand what he says and am entertained by him, but I feel that I am not learning anything new.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone have a mirror for a teacher and learned?

I have someone who is instructing me and is an ENTp, and I pretty much understand what he says and am entertained by him, but I feel that I am not learning anything new.
    I think that it may simply be a result of having a similar thinking process which leads to a similar conclusion. The only difference is the amont of reading and materials which can be added in the support of your ideas. I have had my mirror as a professor multiple times, and while at times I felt as if I was not learning a great deal since the conclusions seemed self-evident, outside of the class I realized that part of it was because the professor and I were just about on the same wavelength in our logic.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my best teacher is reality
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    my best teacher is reality
    very succinct. i like it.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best teacher this semester was either SLE or SEE. Very smart, articulate, and energetic.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'd have to be my Te-ESTj writing teacher in fall of this year. Tremendous passion for teaching, great advice, love her attitude in general.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all of my teachers were pretty horrible, even in college. Out of everyone, I only liked ONE teacher in college because she was incredibly smart and would talk very quickly (which half the class couldn't follow, but they were just dumb...it was a verbal communication class anyway). I believe she was an ENFj. But she'd present the information in a very interesting order and ask things like "So if we know this fact was found in Asia, and this fact was found in South America, what does that tell us about how children learn language?" And it would seem like some fascinating mystery and I'd actually get excited about it! She was just brilliant and really good at doing her job.

It's sad I didn't have more teachers than that. I really think most of the others (even in college) didn't know the material at all, so we'd mostly watch movies or have time wasting discussions about nothing relevant.

The only other one I liked was in elementary school and I'm pretty sure she was ENFp. She'd tell us we were the best age level in the school and the other kids were bratty, and would treat us like we were mature little people, which was awesome. She'd level with us and be like, ok, so this is how it actually is...and the other teachers treated us like "children" but she treated us like "people."She also brought a puppy into the class and she'd walk around all day. We were raising her to be a seeing eye dog, but I really didn't care about that part, I just liked a dog being there.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

moar puppies plz

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far the professor I have connected to the most is a TeNi. I have NeFi and FiNe professors, but I feel like they just agree with everything I contribute and just "get it" rather than contribute something new or something they couldn't think of. I find that SiFe, FeSi, TeNi, and NiTe find me interesting in an academic setting, but it rarely leaves academia into a more personal realm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg that is the cutest thing ever! I love his tiny little nose.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing quite like Identical teachers.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best teacher was probably ESTj maths teacher. Almost everyone in our class liked her due to the fact she was one of the few unbiased ones, she evaluated every task seperately instead of relying on whether she liked/disliked you, yet it did not change the fact she could say something to you regarding your personality or the way you act. This left room for the troublemakers to actually try learning instead of thinking "whats the point". She just did not mix the two parts of education together. The fact is she was one of the least affectionate people I have ever met, it is quite strange she was probably one of the most loved ones in our class. She was strict, unexpressive, not really charismatic but even with all those traits she was the one who taught all our class math, even the dumbest classmates passed the national exams with quite high grades.

Regardless I do not think her socionics type helped here at all. This would not make sense since ALL class felt the same, rather than me or a few other individuals. It would be very unlikely we were all in the same quadra or something.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Identical ENTp
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Creepy-Cyclops

ESTj chemistry teacher. I had no "relation" with him, he just explained things well by being informtive, and he was professional with everyone.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer science professor - I've contemplated LII, ILE and IEE.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently, an ESTj math professor and ISTp EE professor.

ESTj-Si: He was quite charismatic, even expressive (cultural thing, I think), and loved to teach. He was effective because he explained the concepts with incredible precision and made sure every student understood what he meant; keep in mind that the textbook was completely useless (it was made especially for the class by another professor), so the students relied on him solely. He describes himself as being "practical with life" even though he is a pure mathematician :wink:. The University also provides him with a larger classroom because students from other sections opt to attend his lectures instead of their designated one. Considered ESFj-Si for him, because he was not afraid to display his enthusiasm but he is much more subdued in one-to-one interactions (I find that ESFjs retain their emotionality even in more personal setting).

ISTp-Te: Also charismatic, very articulate and detailed. Again, explained concepts very thoroughly. Unlike the ESTj, this professor was basically expressionless; when the whole class would laugh at some joke made by a student (which was actually funny), he would not even smile. Plenty of students who were otherwise a general electrical engineer or in some other specialization are switching to Nano just for this guy. Fortunately, I'm already in it. I once considered him a rational type, but when I interacted with him outside of class during office hours, he came off as remarkably relaxed and laid back; he once said "Take it one step at a time. Do whatever you want and enjoy, and see where it goes."
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast