TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Types and memory

I forgot.
    Last edited by The Exception; 08-12-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Creepy-pokeball

Best: faces, images, bios, what ppl I know said, theory that doesnt bore me

Worst: exact directions, measurements, numbers, lame details that I think are unimportant at the moment...and arent. :x

Moderate: I know my past but a lot of times it is in large summaries so sometimes I have to ask others

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best:

Random things I don't even try to remember but do anyway
    Anything that I have done minimal rehearsal of (which should happen for everyone)
    Events - sounds, images, speech, emotions, general "mood" of the situation
    My own thoughts that I have thought at one point in time.

Worst:

Faces, names of people, names in general
    What people's voices sound like
    What I have already said to someone (so I repeat things alot)
    My own obligations
    The date and month (but never the weekday)

Do you guys get deja vu very often? Like when you walk into a room and you think either, "I've been here before," which stimulates many other memories, or you think, "This place seems familiar. Oh, I know, it reminds me of..."

I think people have a better memory than they think. For instance, I often over-rehearse a piano piece I'm learning, because I don't want to forget it. This is actually less effective than simply memorizing it loosely and not rehearsing. Did you know that you can remember something better if you forget it, then relearn it? It's actually quite beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    Pain - I don't remember any kind of pain at all, (physical and mental). As far as I can remember, it didn't really hurt at all when I broke my arm/got other injuries.
    That's interesting. I think the same thing happens for me. I don't think the brain wants to remember such a painful thing as a broken arm or a dentist's needle. *shivers*

Your INTp (ILI, NiTe) friend,

Cone
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you guys get deja vu very often? Like when you walk into a room and you think either, "I've been here before," which stimulates many other memories, or you think, "This place seems familiar. Oh, I know, it reminds me of..."
    All the time

Basicly all the stuff that Cone wrote down about his memory is true for me as well. I remember long term extremely well.

Creepy-pokeball

Im not very good with physical pain at all either. The only time I really "felt it" was recently... and it was more in the sense that I was anxious and didnt trust the doctor (no insurance and had an ingrown toenail so I had zero choice). Well... I ended up with a staph infection from that idiot. The pain was all about the worry over a negative end.... not physical. weird imo :/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed this very thing when I started learning ASL again recently. I could fly right through sign after sign, but isn't it just recall? I mean did I really forget? Well, maybe . . . I guess . . . Hmmm.
    Well, mother, there are two types of memory retrieval: recognition and recall. Recognition is remembering something when given a cue to remember it by. Recall is remembering something with no cues. For instance, say someone asks you to give them the name of our state representative; this is recall. You are trying to directly remember something without aids. Now say you can't remember, so you ask your friend to throw out random first names. This is recognition. Eventually, one of those names will be the correct first name, and you will recognize that, thus you remember the full name. Recognition is much easier than recall.

If you really want to learn ASL, you should learn it by recall. Try not to use the book as much as you can. Here are some steps on how to do this:

What I mean by forgetting and relearning is that you at first learn something so you can repeat it by very short-term memory, then you ignore it and go on to something else. Now the next day, you will try to recall what you memorized yesterday. Chances are, you will have forgotten it. What you do now is go through the same steps you used to memorize it and relearn it. You will find that this time around, you memorized it much more quickly. Repeat this day after day until you can't forget it, no matter how hard you try. It shouldn't take very long at all, and it's very effective.

Here's a nice example. Take this grid of numbers:

17 89 21 45 65
    32 45 87 34 61
    96 49 47 12 70
    44 81 30 10 17
    21 94 96 75 25

The easiest way to begin memorizing this grid is to split it up into easier-to-manage parts, for instance, into five rows of five numbers each. Now, you just memorize each row individually. However, you must also have some way to link each row together into a grid. It's quite difficult to remember the whole grid if it's split into five isolated chunks with no associations between them. So to solve that, also memorize the first column of numbers. Now when you go to recall the grid, you can start by recalling this column, and then every number in that column serves as a retrieval cue for the row it represents. Another way you could go about this is to memorize each row individually, plus the beginning number of the next row. This is the continuous way of memorizing, and it is also linear instead of two-dimensional like the first way.

Don't waste anytime in memorizing this. Go through it as fast as possible. If you can repeat it once, then that's all you need to do. Then tomorrow, see if you can recall it. Chances are, you probably won't even know where to start! But this is good. Now, go through the same memorization process as you did the day before, and do not take any short cuts. It will be tempting to pass over some steps, as you may have memorized them, but you must go through the same steps for this to work effectively. Parts that were passed over in relearning it will be more susceptible to forgetting than parts that were memorized thoroughly. Even without short cuts, you will find that you memorized it much more quickly than before. Then the next day, you may be able to recall it easily; maybe not. Keep repeating these steps until you are confident of your learning.

Hope that was helpful.

Your INTp friend,

Cone
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I'm having trouble I guess, grasping why this would occur.
    It's counter-intuitive. You may not understand it, but it does work.

I suppose these are the differences between Ti and Te? Having to understand something vs. just knowing it works?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I'm having trouble I guess, grasping why this would occur.
    It's counter-intuitive. You may not understand it, but it does work.

I suppose these are the differences between Ti and Te? Having to understand something vs. just knowing it works?

But I also do the pragmatic thing. Whether I use or depends on the situation. When its a subject of real interest to me, I want to understand it in every little detail. I get my hands on whatever I can find and just devour the information.

But on subjects that are of little interest to me, I'm more likely to take a more pragmatic approach. For instance, I don't really care how cars or computers work. As long as they do what they're supposed to do I'm happy. On the other hand I've learned in life that sometimes learning the fundamentals of why things work the way they do, even on topics that don't interest me, helps to solve problems. I think way I sometimes get frustrated with computers and technology is because I don't really know how they work on a fundamental level. Because of that, some of the computer and technology operations are arbitrary to me and the error messages I get, I can't always decipher and I sometimes when something goes wrong, I have no clue why. I'm proficient at using various types of software but not troubleshooting when something goes wrong. If I took the time to understand how computers work on a more fundamental level it might make things easier in the long run.

Laura
    In type limbo

Creepy-pokeball

Voices are cake--yes. Mimicking them is fun lol. Im glad you pointed that one out. I can usually get pretty good audio/visual of others in my head. And yes theyre real ppl

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asdfsdf
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

{♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    Best:

Worst:

What people's voices sound like
    I'm really good at that, but only for male voices. For some reason, I can lock the sound of a guy's voice into my head, but not for female voices. In fact, if I know the sound of someone's voice, I can make them say things that they'd never say in real life (but only in my head, of course). :wink:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4675103.stm

very cool reason for this. female voices are more complex.
    Oh neat!

...But it's not like I'd actually want female voices in my head, would I? :wink:
    *sigh of relief*

Good to know. That's why I used to think I was gay. j/k.

I think people have a better memory than they think. For instance, I often over-rehearse a piano piece I'm learning, because I don't want to forget it. This is actually less effective than simply memorizing it loosely and not rehearsing. Did you know that you can remember something better if you forget it, then relearn it? It's actually quite beneficial.
    Yes, that makes sense. I think that has to do with your long term memory being WAY more powerful than your short term memory. If you just take in a little bit of information without thinking to hard, you will more likely remember it. Did you know if you try to analyze something hard your brain turns into pudding? I'm not kidding.

Thinking about several things at the same time makes you dumber.

Literally.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-an ixtp (probably istp)

There was a question about and memories on socionics.com recently, but now it's gone unanswered. It looks like most people don't see any usual connection between them.
    cache
    How does Si work? What exactly does it do? How does it translate from 'processes in the body' into past memories? -- Richard