Thread: That annoying hidden agenda when someone does it better

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default That annoying hidden agenda when someone does it better

Your hidden agenda is something that you wish you were good at but are unsure about it.

So you sort of resent - or at least find annoying - people who are "too cocky" about it, typically your benefactor but also your activity partner if of the accepting subtype (and possibly other types of the "right" subtype).

So --

ENTjs and ENFjs resent the "excessively abrasive" Se EPs.
    ENFps and ESFps resent the "know it all" Te EJs when discussing a subject of mutual interest.
    ENTps and ESTps resent the "attention-seeking and limelight-steaking" Fe EJs (especially as they seem to do it "easily".
    ISFps and INFps resent the "intellectually arrogant" Ti IJs.

Etc.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I think it's natural to feel somewhat uncomfortable/threatened/resentful toward people who use something that you wish you were and like to think you're better at excessively. They're showing you exactly how not good at it you really are. The result is frustration or irritation sometimes.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what's worse is when people in your presence respond to your benefactor by giving them their superid functions... because their superid functions are your suger ego functions, things you're painfully aware that you're not good at and would rather not deal. How friggin irritating.
    SEE

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    And what's worse is when people in your presence respond to your benefactor by giving them their superid functions... because their superid functions are your suger ego functions, things you're painfully aware that you're not good at and would rather not deal. How friggin irritating.
    Well benefactors just plain suck -- but only one of their superid functions are in your superego I thought. Ack, I don't know, I'll have to look that up now. (Stupid names, super ego, super id, id, argh, I don't remember which is which)
    Well weell well, the truth is coming out then
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What don't you like about him? (if I may ask?)
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Default Re: That annoying hidden agenda when someone does it better

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I find this interesting because the activity partners of these types is Ti. I think Te and Ti might be more inclined to see each other as intellectually arrogant because they'd be projecting on each other (well that guy thinks he knows it all, thinks he's smart, but the f-ing idiot is narrow minded and can't see from all sides.)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typeless Wonder
    I find this interesting because the activity partners of these types is Ti. I think Te and Ti might be more inclined to see each other as intellectually arrogant because they'd be projecting on each other (well that guy thinks he knows it all, thinks he's smart, but the f-ing idiot is narrow minded and can't see from all sides.)
    I mentioned the issue of the activity partner in my first post. It refers to the Ti subtype only in that case.

In that particular case, perhaps a more precise phrasing is :

ISFps and INFps resent the "intellectually arrogant" Ti IJs who explain things to them as if the IXFps hadn't understood it.

Also --

ISTjs and ISFjs resenting the Ni IPs who never seem to be anxious about the development of a situation and tell them to "take their time".

ESFjs and ESTjs resenting the Ne EPs who always seem to have a "brand, new brilliant idea" about everything.

ISTps and INTps resenting the Fi IJs who always seem secure about what other people feel about them.

INTjs and INFjs resenting the Si IPs who seem naturally coordinated, healthy, and relaxed. It's even worse if they look good and fit.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really jealous of anyone in those ways. I feel compelled to be just as competitive when I see other people do something well or better than me (as is listed on many an LII profile), but I am not particularly jealous of IPs in that way.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's not necessarily being "jealous" -- for instance, I don't envy the over-the-top Se EPs. It just bothers me at a different level than other functions.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESxps just irritate me. Not sure if it's because I'm jealous.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hidden agenda is something that you wish you were good at but are unsure about it.

So you sort of resent - or at least find annoying - people who are "too cocky" about it, typically your benefactor but also your activity partner if of the accepting subtype (and possibly other types of the "right" subtype).

So --

ENFps and ESFps resent the "know it all" Te EJs when discussing a subject of mutual interest.
    ENTps and ESTps resent the "attention-seeking and limelight-steaking" Fe EJs (especially as they seem to do it "easily".

Etc.
    Might this also include resenting people simply because they are in a good mood when you are not?
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not true. I enjoy the company of Te EJs very much. My best friends are ENTj and I don't feel threatened by their knowledge.

I do think, though, that they largely lack Fi and that makes them to say a lot of stupid things which are based more on their opinion than on facts or logics.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you sort of resent - or at least find annoying - people who are "too cocky" about it, typically your benefactor
    Shouldn't this read benefactee?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex
    Not true. I enjoy the company of Te EJs very much. My best friends are ENTj and I don't feel threatened by their knowledge.

I do think, though, that they largely lack Fi and that makes them to say a lot of stupid things which are based more on their opinion than on facts or logics.
    except that you are an IEE in no way, shape, or form.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    except that you are an IEE in no way, shape, or form.
    mikemex's type thread: http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...p?p=183417#top
    perhaps you'd like to provide some input in there?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that thread is rather ancient. at the time, i didn't have any sort of opinion. more recent encounters with the way that mikemex handles information suggests that any kind of Fi type can be thrown out the window. Fe i think is a lot more probable.

this is simply because of the way she makes unfounded claims and was very bad at dealing with Te (IMO) suggestions as to why her observations were not working; it seemed to me like she just didn't want to hear about anything to do with Te at all. IEI is a possibility, although the relative lack of typing materials hinder the situation. a video-esque VI would probably be helpful.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is actually disgustingly true for me.. I switch in between the "intellectually arrogant" attitude and the "overly abrasive" attitude. Yikes.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm finding more and more confirmation of this.

I was sitting today next to two ISxjs. The prof was a very phlegmatic INTp. They both said "It makes me nervous that he is so calm!!!".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very true. I am at times very annoyed when my ESFp friend constantly stops to make relations with a new stranger, because it delays are current missions and it brings me unwanted attention, though I am aware that it is selfish of me to think in such a way and it is a admirable skill after all.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI is a possibility
    Dual of FDG? You MUST be kidding.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI is a possibility
    Dual of FDG? You MUST be kidding.
    You do sound like you say "I'm so perfect, aren't I" and I reply with "You suck!"

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's unwise to base your typing of yourself on the type of another, especially when it's someone you don't even know.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    It's unwise to base your typing of yourself on the type of another, especially when it's someone you don't even know.
    Many thanks to the oracle

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So --

Etc.
    I now think the INj equivalent is resenting the overly calm and detached quality of the ISp. I often list chillness as one of my strengths, but I am a control freak more often than people realize.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate that in ISTps, but ISFps are different. I always feel like I am waiting for them to do something, or they are waiting for me. It isn't something I secretly resent or feel jealous about, for ISFps. ISTps I can admire and feel "I wish I were more that way" somewhat.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that thread is rather ancient. at the time, i didn't have any sort of opinion. more recent encounters with the way that mikemex handles information suggests that any kind of Fi type can be thrown out the window. Fe i think is a lot more probable.

this is simply because of the way she makes unfounded claims and was very bad at dealing with Te (IMO) suggestions as to why her observations were not working; it seemed to me like she just didn't want to hear about anything to do with Te at all. IEI is a possibility, although the relative lack of typing materials hinder the situation. a video-esque VI would probably be helpful.
    Mikemex is a guy.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a very good thread.

Do you think that the word envy as well as resent, although its a little bit strong, probably fits the feeling you get when you see others who are a bit over confident about it and displaying it? I think its something you would like to be good at yourself and are a little annoyed that someone else is better at it than you, and are openly displaying that they are.

The seventh function I think works in a very similar way, you tend to resent people who are over confident or cocky about it. However, the difference is instead of resenting it so much, its more a feeling of, hey, you shouldnt be doing that, thats unfair or imoral or something, although you could do the same if you really wanted, instead of feeling unsure about it. Any thoughts?
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flower
    Do you think that the word envy as well as resent, although its a little bit strong, probably fits the feeling you get when you see others who are a bit over confident about it and displaying it? I think its something you would like to be good at yourself and are a little annoyed that someone else is better at it than you, and are openly displaying that they are.
    I think "envy" can fit better in some cases, but not always. For instance, I "envy" the Se in the quieter Se EPs when they handle a difficult situation with others, remaining assertive but not overly so; I do not "envy", I just dislike or resent, those who go beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by flower
    The seventh function I think works in a very similar way, you tend to resent people who are over confident or cocky about it. However, the difference is instead of resenting it so much, its more a feeling of, hey, you shouldnt be doing that, thats unfair or imoral or something, although you could do the same if you really wanted, instead of feeling unsure about it. Any thoughts?
    I don't think "resent" is a good word in this case; as you said, you're also confident in the 7th function. Rather than resenting those who prefer it over your 1st function, you just think they're wrong - or "unfair or immoral" as you put it, or "stupid" etc.