Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the practical application of Socionics?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is the practical application of Socionics?

edited

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit, you opened up about 36 cans of works there. Let's begin.

Here goes: What is the practical application of Socionics?
    The most practical use is to be able to see and understand what goes on around you. Being able to have a deeper understanding of people and relationships is one of the big parts of psychology in general. Also, understanding yourself better and your own needs.

I know some of you use it to define relationships to the point that you only seek out certain types to date or even get to know.
    It's OK to replace the words "some of you" with "IcEPiCK". :wink: I wouldn't want to do things this way, but they are already being done to some extent by sites like trueharmony.com.

How far will Socionics lead? Will we in the future type little kids and have those predisposed to certain careers put in special classes? I mean will type AAAA study medicine and BBBB study music and . . . Will there be want ads saying only CCCC’s need apply?
    This sounds Nazi to me...

And what do we do when we find out that DDDD’s produce the most serial killers or pedafiles?
    ISTPs produce the most serial killers. It's a combination of a lot of things. However, there is no reason to "do" something about this. BrainTypes.com have mentioned this in the past, and they state:

Quote Originally Posted by BrainTypes.com
    Yasser Arafat , Scott Peterson, John Hinkley –

We have studied criminal profiles over 2 decades and are familiar with most high-profile law violators. Though we are quite certain of the Brain Types of the 3 notorious men above [it is ISTP] , we reserve comment since some readers may not process the information properly. We do want to our audience to know, however, that all people the world over have only 1 of 16 inborn Brain Types, and that each BT has the potential to act both upright or diabolical. Unfortunately, our research reveals a few BT are much more prevalent among the high-profile criminals. May these men remind us all, especially parents, to work overtime to encourage and direct our children (or acquaintances) to pursue moral and ethical principles.
    And what type produces the most homosexuals?
    Homosexuality is cause by chemicals found in a certain part of the brain. Men would have characteristic "female" amphatimines and the opposite would be for the women. I also believe type is related to the brain as is homosexuality. This would lead you to believe that you can notice the way people move and talk and identify them as more likely being gay. That being said, I have met a few female ISTPs who were gay and that is all I know on this subject.

Will we sit in an office and have some socionics degree tell us we feel a certain way because we are type EEEE? Okay, but where does it go from there? How can socionics help people and with what?
    If you understand yourself better and know where your problems are the are fixed more easily as opposed to wandering around this world clueless.

And, hey, I like socionics!
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-pokeball

Great question. My answer is introspection for greater understanding of oneself and observation for a greater understanding of those around you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your basic points is that the generalizations of socionics could do a lot of bad if depended on too readily. I've thought of this myself, but... I doubt the science will even be used on that large of a scale. Even if it was, I'm sure it would be used in more of a positive way. I, as well, wouldn't want to be generalized and told that I should be a certain way because of my type all the time. I think the farthest place that this is goin is that it could be used in school systems, occupations, and of coarse for those of us who want to better understand ourselves and the world around us better. Infact, there is a lot of positive ways in studies it could be used. Basicly, I'm saying that I don't think this is a thing thats going to get out of control. For now, it's just the little secret of those of us who care, and know that those relationships we have with the world and with others go a little deeper then they may seem.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The most practical use is to be able to see and understand what goes on around you. Being able to have a deeper understanding of people and relationships is one of the big parts of psychology in general. Also, understanding yourself better and your own needs.

Life can teach you that. What did we ever do before socionics? Are we any better off now with what we know?
    I would go as far as to say that there are a few people in my life who wouldn't be there if it weren't for Socionics...So what did I do before Socionics? I probably stayed away from people who I thought didn't care, were cold and distant, etc. etc. Now I have a much better understanding of behaviorisms that puzzle me. And a few people in my life who are so great!

Yes, and I can make much better sense of some things I have struggled with all my life.

Quote:

How far will Socionics lead? Will we in the future type little kids and have those predisposed to certain careers put in special classes? I mean will type AAAA study medicine and BBBB study music and . . . Will there be want ads saying only CCCC’s need apply?

This sounds Nazi to me...
    I've read about companies using the MBTI as an instrument to screen out candidates being considered for employment. I bet INFP tends to get the boot a lot. I'd game the test so I come out as an ESTJ. They'll probably think that's the weirdest ESTJ they ever saw. I agree though that using socionics or Jungian psychology in this fashion is nazi-esque. I'm a firm believer that psychological tests should be used to help and not to judge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what worries me! It like a system to weed out the undesirables. How would you feel to be turned down for a job or internship based on type? And I don't mean you personally, but it sure could happen some day. It's in the works now. It's out there on other websites!
    It kinda scares me too... but I always reassure myself that in the many years, even if it did get that far, it probly wouldn't be all that depended on, and would be used pretty descretely.[/quote]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics is alot deeper than just intertype relations. It is informational and it deals with how information interacts. It has to do with fundamental qualities and how these qualities interact with one another.

The individual element is its most basic application, but it networks from the individual and generates much more massive informational structures which generate society.

So its applications fall pretty much under any social science as well, and eventually probably physics, too. It's informational.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean it is fun to type yourself and each other, but what then? I know some of you use it to define relationships to the point that you only seek out certain types to date or even get to know. I find that a very narrow minded way to view life. Next you’ll be starting a Socionics dating service.
    Actually, there is one: http://www.socionicsdating.com , not that I think it's a good idea.
    I think the whole type relationship thing shouldn't dictate who you choose to interact with...but it can help explain WHY things happen the way they do. My favorite example is with my conflicting sister, I get along better with her because of Socionics, because I know why I confuse her (Ti) and why she enrages me (Se) and I can modify my behavior.

I don't think it will lead to that. In my opinion choosing a career based on your type is a bad move. <insert tired story about programming vs. EMT>

For leaders and business people
    So who will be shut out of the work force or forced into lower paying jobs?

Formation of working groups for the given purposes, selection of the staff
    Pretty much the same as above.
    I don't think they mean it that way. I think they are saying you can utilize people to their utmost potenial and know how to deal with them. Also, in theory, grouping people by quadra could be more productive. (Yeah, this is just the lines we're being fed, but I'm no expert and that doesn't mean it isn't true.)

For teachers and parents
    Special classes or will you be written off?
    Again, it's basically, understanding people so you know how to deal with them.

So now I can realize that a good portion of the "difficult" people I know are just of a type I don't understand yet (Socionics should help with that).
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm not saying that there isn't a bad side...it's just that you seemed to have that covered. :wink:

The whole "being put in a box" and defined was scary (though reassuring) when I first got interested in this. I rebelled against it for a while. I nearly drove myself nuts analyzing my thought patterns.

As long as it is stressed that type is not who you are, just the way you usually process information, I don't think this will turn into a dystopian nightmare. Though, there is some danger, individually, of people messing up their lives because of it. But that's their fault for being stupid. :wink:
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Creepy-pokeball

"As long as it is stressed that type is not who you are, just the way you usually process information" -XcaliburGirl

You hit the jackpot~ I wish everyone realized that. Unfortunately I do not have the faith for institutions to realize that.

I do have to say that functions (MBTI, Socionics, Jungian, etc etc) have taught me things that i wouldnt have with just personal observation. It is just like any social science. It gives theoretical inspiration for new thought patterns to see patterns in real life. That was a mouth full

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    a)... 2)... c)...
    Up late, Pedro?

(Sorry couldn't help pointing this out.)
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    a) manipulating people to do what you want

2) teaching you how to better take care of your own super-ego/id

c) knowing how to adjust to people to better get along with them (or knowing how to hurt their weak points in order to keep them away)
    My point exactly.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-pokeball

"Why does it most times not sound that way here? " -Black Molly

It's very common on most temperament forums. I think a lot of it has to do with the way it is written and thus absorbed (ie. like astrological signs).

My bigger concern would be with VI. That can be used for instataneous bias and may be dead wrong. Plus it translates poorly across races and cultures (Id love to see a pygmy with a large, sharp nose lol). I would have hoped we would have learned our lessons from absolutist sciences such as skull physics.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this...

Quote Originally Posted by BrainTypes.com
    Pentagon System Hopes to Identify Walks

Monday May 19, 2003 9:09 PM

Pentagon system hopes to identify walks<< Pentagon anti-terror surveillance system hopes to identify people by the way they walk

By MICHAEL J. SNIFFEN

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Watch your step! The Pentagon is developing a radar-based device that can identify people by the way they walk, for use in a new antiterrorist surveillance system.

Operating on the theory that an individual's walk is as unique as a signature, the Pentagon has financed a research project at the Georgia Institute of Technology that has been 80 to 95 percent successful in identifying people.

If the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, orders a prototype, the individual ``gait signatures'' of people could become part of the data to be linked together in a vast surveillance system the Pentagon agency calls Total Information Awareness. . . .

For those familiar with BT and the brain’s motor cortex’s influence over voluntary motor movements, this article is completely understandable and believable. JN has observed this for decades and has made motor skill movements a part of the foundation for BT. Fortunately, what the government hasn’t realized yet is that the way a person walks also relates to his cognitive and spatial skills. Someday, when governments across the world finally understand BT and its astounding influence on why people do what they do, our civil liberties will soberly become threatened. This has been BTI’s fear for years, but painfully it’s an inevitable future happening. In the meantime, we will continue trying to promote the ethical application of this powerful tool.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Molly
    Good point, Rocky. Socionics can be a great tool in this respect, but then wouldn't it be the same as suspecting terriorists based on race?

Did you mean it that way?
    That's sort of what the government is trying to do WITHOUT socionics or typology. It sorta sounds like "if they walk like this, they are this kind of person..." where the truth is "if they walk like this, they are this kind of TYPE". The problem might be poking around with this without fully understanding types.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-pokeball

80 to 95 percent? That is not good enough for the usage of someone we give authority to. That's a 5-20% crack.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    80 to 95 percent? That is not good enough for the usage of someone we give authority to. That's a 5-20% crack.
    That is what the goverment has got so far... but they don't use socionics or BrainTypes.

EDIT: They are trying to label individual walks as signitures to individual people, where as BrainTypes know that they are not that specific and link walks to diffrent TYPES, which the goverment does not know of. If they did, they could at least put diffrent terrorists/ people into groups by the way they walk, which can help weed through people if they are searching for someone on a specified TYPE.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was actually my INTp aunt who asked about the practical application of Socionics. Go figure.

I like Socionics because it gives me an identity and paints life in the most beautiful colors. And it answers the question, why? It has also allowed me to think more critically about things in general.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics is a nice theory and all...

...but do any of you actually find that it has practical applications?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Socionics is a nice theory and all...

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    You should be careful about the kinds of questions you ask... You might anger rmcnew.

No, of course there is not. Socionics is a theory. Some people use it to fool themselves. Other people use it to define themselves.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Logical types seem to get a lot out of it by simply understanding the concepts and realizing that there are objective reasons for people being the way they are. This, I guess, is reassuring to them .
    2. When you're in the middle of communications and relationships, your reactions are governed mostly by subconscious factors, so knowing socionics will not change your reactions (hahaha, it's funny to see socionics enthusiasts have the same relationship problems as everyone else). However, it does tend to affect your decisions of a larger scale (if you understand socionics). For example, you meet some people to potentially do business or some project together. Your main reactions will be unrelated to socionics: do I like this person? do they have the connections and knowledge I need? etc. For the most part you will base your decision on these things, even if you know socionics. However, if you know their type, you will see an additional layer of potential in each person. It's like you add a few points to one person and take away a few points from another. And that's pretty much it. But if you're deciding whom to live with, it can be decisive.
    3. Socionics is pretty cool for introducing people to each other. I've helped a few couples form this way. But, on the other hand, you have to have a gift for introducing people in the first place.
    4. Some socionics consultants seem to be successful in consulting businesses, helping restructure organizations, etc.

So, basically, adding a couple registries of abstract information to your conscious mind will scarcely have an effect on your day-to-day life. But if you can somehow turn it into real-life experience, it can have far-reaching consequences. That's my opinion.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    1. Logical types seem to get a lot out of it by simply understanding the concepts and realizing that there are objective reasons for people being the way they are. This, I guess, is reassuring to them .
    I agree with this. For me, a practical application of socionics is simply to realize that there is no point in using to deal with some people, or at least, that they might mistake it for . If I had understood socionics while my ISFp father was alive, I believe things would have run more smoothly between us - even if the effort would have been all on my side.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Individuation.

2. Dealing with my depression. Knowing Socioncs has helped me. I found near by myself people with and/or , so I am in better shape than I was before them.

3. Socionism. The down of the age when we all live happily ever after in socions.
    Semiotical process

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree wholeheartedly.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Socionics is a nice theory and all...

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    It can have practical, but it's influence is questionable.

In future, maybe a government will make socionics part of it's philosophy.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope not.

In the meantime, I can use it to draw attention to myself and manipulate people.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you do that

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahahahaha....it's the only practical application of socionics. I type people, then use my knowledge of them to exploit their weak points, appeal to them, etc. It works pretty well, as long as they don't know what I'm doing. I can even be really blunt about it, and it still works.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a few people who use socionics to conquer women.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Hahahahahaha....it's the only practical application of socionics. I type people, then use my knowledge of them to exploit their weak points, appeal to them, etc. It works pretty well, as long as they don't know what I'm doing. I can even be really blunt about it, and it still works.
    But how do you do it.

Can you give an example.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that hard to believe.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really fucking simple. You observe their behavior, and type them by trait. Then, if you're arguing, you exploit their PoLR. If you're trying to ingratiate yourself, you go for the hidden agenda or dual-seeking.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I find that hard to believe.
    One was LSE and went after every EII he came across using his understanding of their type. The other was SEE and went after everybody .

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, ESFps.

I don't use it to get girls (although I do apply it to a degree to my current relationship). I use it to ingratiate myself with people who will be useful to me, like interviewers or contacts at colleges.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course there are. You just have to think about it and you'll find.

of course nothing like this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan
    thats pretty bad but people like him obviously dont give a shit. anyway i should warn that Joy plays the same tricks sometimes.
    back on topic.
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't require Socionics to manipulate people.
    That's for sure!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how can one avoid/protect himself from this kind of manipulation ?
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch out for socio-babble, and be wary of ENTps

Under cerulean skies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast