Thread: compulsively moving things

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default compulsively moving things

There's a woman I know who spends much of the day cleaning and organizing (at least that's what she thinks she's doing). She has this compulsion to rearrange objects for some reason. If you ask her where something is, she won't know because she probably already moved it 3 times that day. She puts a high value on cleanliness, but it's not for reasons of health and sanitation (some of her cleaning methods are not exactly sanitary, but she doesn't realize it). The reason she does it is Feng Shui... literally. She wants her surroundings to be attractive and comfortable. She says that she cares so much about that kind of thing because it's important to her that people (herself included) feel "at home" in her home. She's also really into yoga, and even though she has health problems, she has a better body than most women half her age (this is most likely due to the fact that she practices yoga daily). She has a boyfriend who's an existentialist writer and she fully supports his ideas. She's extremely emotionally expressive. She's also quite proper. She carries herself like she's wearing a $2000 outfit even if it's all second hand. She's friendly and very good at talking to people. It's not uncommon for her emotions to get away from her though. When I hung out with her and my son at the same time sometimes I felt like they were both children because she was so emotionally reactive to him. Everyday there's some type of enormous crisis, and she's worry way too much about it, not seeing the issue in perspective.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very anxious ESFj.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my dad has to kick me in the ass repeatedly to get me to move anything.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I have a question though, how is it that you describe your person as proper and emotionally reactive, those two things seem like opposites to me?
    You'd have to know her... she carries herself with class, but if you spend time around her you're certain to see an outburst... everyday...

I'm stuck between ENFj and ESFj. ESFj for the obvious reasons. ENFj because she responds positively to Ni and because she is so much more concerned with things like yoga and feng shui than she is with things like her health, physical practicality, and sanitation. She mothery things she does are totally related to the role she sees herself in, imo. When I compare her to an ESFj I know, she's not so eager to care for people's physical needs. She likes to think she does, but she's not good at it (from my perspective).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I have a question though, how is it that you describe your person as proper and emotionally reactive, those two things seem like opposites to me?
    You'd have to know her... she carries herself with class, but if you spend time around her you're certain to see an outburst... everyday...

I'm stuck between ENFj and ESFj. ESFj for the obvious reasons. ENFj because she responds positively to Ni and because she is so much more concerned with things like yoga and feng shui than she is with things like her health, physical practicality, and sanitation. She mothery things she does are totally related to the role she sees herself in, imo. When I compare her to an ESFj I know, she's not so eager to care for people's physical needs. She likes to think she does, but she's not good at it (from my perspective).
    I rarely ever do anything at the spur of a moment. There is no such thing. Everything has to have a purpose of some sort. I even have a problem with tidiness - I know I finished drinking the coffee, but why take the empty mug back to the kitchen now if I know I'll be going to the kitchen in half an hour. Everything has one right place and I get bitchy when something goes missing because someone didn't put it in the right place.

Feng Shui? It's definitely not all Ni. More like a mix of Si that appeals to those who try to give the impression of being skilled in Si matters. And you meant to say two of you get along well. It doesn't mean she reacts positively to Ni. Even ISFps sometimes react positively when I help them arrange things for the future.

She's so not ENFj that I won't even continue writing this obvious post.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I'll take your word for it. ESFj it is. (We didn't get along all that well though... sometimes we did, but overall the relationship was irritating and difficult to maintain. Quite exhausting. And she was the one who made that candle comment that I still get sorta upset if I think about lol.)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course my ENFj mother also compulsively moved things around, so just because one ENFj does not do it does not necessarily discredit the existence of others who do. :wink:
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Of course my ENFj mother also compulsively moved things around, so just because one ENFj does not do it does not necessarily discredit the existence of others who do. :wink:
    I was actually thinking about this on the way home earlier and remembered the candle thing. Then I thought about all of the things she's done to upset me... and I decided that ESFj probably makes more sense. I just know a lot of ESxjs who are very, very skeptical about anything involving eastern arts or pseudo sciences. Then I decided that even though I thought that the way she tried taking care of people didn't make sense to me it doesn't mean that it's not Si... in fact it probably suggests the opposite.

And I very much related to Kristiina's coffee cup example, but the ESxjs I know are just the opposite. They get things done early because they don't know when they'll need them done or when it would be a more or less convenient time to do it.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISFp & ESFj also move things
    From their perspective it has to do with beauty
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    ISFp & ESFj also move things
    From their perspective it has to do with beauty
    And I do not deny that ISFps and ESFjs do not move things about compulsively. For that reason it does make sense for Alpha SFs to move things around. For the ENFj, items are moved around not necessarily to create beauty, but also for a sense of communal efficiency and to create a well presented environment that replicates a sense of hard work or prestige.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFjs compulsively move things around too. At least I do. I arrange them based on my mood of the day so that the whole atmosphere will be calm and harmonious. I also read a bit about fengshui and always follow their advice in on how to create a good atmosphere. I feel uncomfortable when I do something that is thought to be bad fengshui and I just simply can't ignore it. So I guess it's not restricted to only Alpha-SFs. :wink: Anyway, I wonder do other INFjs do that too.....

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    INFjs compulsively move things around too. At least I do. I arrange them based on my mood of the day so that the whole atmosphere will be calm and harmonious. I also read a bit about fengshui and always follow their advice in on how to create a good atmosphere. I feel uncomfortable when I do something that is thought to be bad fengshui and I just simply can't ignore it. So I guess it's not restricted to only Alpha-SFs. :wink: Anyway, I wonder do other INFjs do that too.....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't move EVERYTHING in the whole house everyday. I only do that for my room every now and then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    ...I feel uncomfortable when I do something that is thought to be bad fengshui and I just simply can't ignore it. .....
    I thought this was a cute/funny thing to say. Totally something my INFj friend would say! lol. She's mentioend wanting her home to be a relaxing sanctuary also, so I think INFjs are prob into that kinda stuff too.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)