Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Types and uncertainty

  1. #1
    XoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Types and uncertainty

    How different types handle short and long term uncertainty?

    Personally I seem to generally dislike uncertainty however I can handle long term uncertainty better than short term. For example in work environment if I don't know what I should do today or tomorrow bugs me a lot but I can handle quite well the situation where it is uncertain whether I even have a job in 6 months and still work effectively today. And so on. Somehow my uncertainty seems to have a very short term focus even if I think a lot about the long term too. I freak out about short term uncertainty but live well with long term uncertainty.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Those with as a poLR or dual-seeking function [actually, I observe this mostly in rationals with these functions] seem most uncomfortable with uncertainty. My ESTj boss drives me nuts with this. It seems he has difficulty putting priorities into a list. Everything is a number one priority and must have a solution now. ISFjs also seem really bad about needing to know how things are going to turn out now.

    I enjoy long-term uncertainty [the thought of following a long-term plan bores me]. I generally function well with short-term too, I'm relatively good at adapting.
    IEI subtype

  3. #3
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Types and uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel
    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    How different types handle short and long term uncertainty?

    Personally I seem to generally dislike uncertainty however I can handle long term uncertainty better than short term. For example in work environment if I don't know what I should do today or tomorrow bugs me a lot but I can handle quite well the situation where it is uncertain whether I even have a job in 6 months and still work effectively today. And so on. Somehow my uncertainty seems to have a very short term focus even if I think a lot about the long term too. I freak out about short term uncertainty but live well with long term uncertainty.
    what i bolded above might be linked to Ne. Your relying on your Ne, which is "keeping an eye open" for any potential solutions that might come along prior to that 6-month period (6 months as an example of long term uncertainty) is over. You feel uncertain about short-term uncertainty partly coz your Ne is NOW looking for potential solutions - and looking for solutions NOW can be very very stressful (and so can Ne when acting in the short-term) as ur Ne is going Crazy (an di mean it)
    yes. this is good. i, too, can handle long term uncertainty but not short term. and HDWAF explains this quite well. you're absolutely right....without any definite possibilities in the present, i've lost my way a little bit. it's like i need some things to be static so i can correctly assess their possibilities. arrangements, plans, things like this i need to know in a general way what's going on for at least the next several days so i can be creative with possibilities.

    and totally understandable why an IEI would be tolerant of all uncertainty. if they see the whole timeline at the same time, with all its dynamics, then they are really not all that uncertain which is why they can handle what seems to others to be uncertainty.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  4. #4
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Types and uncertainty

    Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel
    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    How different types handle short and long term uncertainty?

    Personally I seem to generally dislike uncertainty however I can handle long term uncertainty better than short term. For example in work environment if I don't know what I should do today or tomorrow bugs me a lot but I can handle quite well the situation where it is uncertain whether I even have a job in 6 months and still work effectively today. And so on. Somehow my uncertainty seems to have a very short term focus even if I think a lot about the long term too. I freak out about short term uncertainty but live well with long term uncertainty.
    what i bolded above might be linked to Ne. Your relying on your Ne, which is "keeping an eye open" for any potential solutions that might come along prior to that 6-month period (6 months as an example of long term uncertainty) is over. You feel uncertain about short-term uncertainty partly coz your Ne is NOW looking for potential solutions - and looking for solutions NOW can be very very stressful (and so can Ne when acting in the short-term) as ur Ne is going Crazy (an di mean it)
    yes. this is good. i, too, can handle long term uncertainty but not short term. and HDWAF explains this quite well. you're absolutely right....without any definite possibilities in the present, i've lost my way a little bit. it's like i need some things to be static so i can correctly assess their possibilities. arrangements, plans, things like this i need to know in a general way what's going on for at least the next several days so i can be creative with possibilities.

    and totally understandable why an IEI would be tolerant of all uncertainty. if they see the whole timeline at the same time, with all its dynamics, then they are really not all that uncertain which is why they can handle what seems to others to be uncertainty.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  5. #5
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,630
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't have much problem with day to day uncertainty. If that's the case, I just decide myself what to do with my time - even better.

    I have serious trouble with uncertainity in romantic situations. Makes me feel bad.

    I also dislike feeling like I'm "going nowhere", like my actions aren't producing anything that will be positive in the future.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  6. #6
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I don't have much problem with day to day uncertainty. If that's the case, I just decide myself what to do with my time - even better.

    I have serious trouble with uncertainity in romantic situations. Makes me feel bad.
    Same.

    Uncertainty in relationships turns me borderline psychotic. Day to day matters don't bother me much.

  7. #7
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have no worries at all about long term anything. Short term uncertainty irritates me a lot and I do what I need to in order to minimize it. Between long and short term doesn't stress me out much either.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •