Thread: Rationality question

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rationality question

Question: does this have anything to do with rationality, or is it just a cliche

Situation: someone finds it very difficult to enjoy herself when she has work that must be done. She has, generally up till now, usually been more of a person to put play before work, in terms of watching tv or relaxing, friends, etc. But now, she is seeing that the 'happiness' she derives from those events is always limited because she becomes disappointed if she doesn't get her work done, etc. She has expressed that, even though she has a habit of doing play before work, she is coming to see that she is actually happier when she gets her work out of the way, and more and more unhappy when she puts work off.

I am wondering if "rational" types have a harder time with that scenario as above, and ultimately come to her conclusion,
    as opposed to "irrational" types being much more able to mix play and work, and either alternate or go from one to another, etc.

Do you see any sort of correlation, or is it unrelated to types, etc. ?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no direct correlation, but rational types would probably be more likely to think like that than would irrationals; i think it is probably more prominent in the Ej and Ep temperaments. it may also have to do with Ni.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rationality question

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    Question: does this have anything to do with rationality, or is it just a cliche

Situation: someone finds it very difficult to enjoy herself when she has work that must be done. She has, generally up till now, usually been more of a person to put play before work, in terms of watching tv or relaxing, friends, etc. But now, she is seeing that the 'happiness' she derives from those events is always limited because she becomes disappointed if she doesn't get her work done, etc. She has expressed that, even though she has a habit of doing play before work, she is coming to see that she is actually happier when she gets her work out of the way, and more and more unhappy when she puts work off.

I am wondering if "rational" types have a harder time with that scenario as above, and ultimately come to her conclusion,
    as opposed to "irrational" types being much more able to mix play and work, and either alternate or go from one to another, etc.

I would have thought the reverse. Putting play before work is stereotypical irrational behavior. It sounds as if she may be an Ni type, as she's possibly seeking deeper meaning and not satisfied with just doing things in a straightforward way. She may be into a "phase" where she sees work as "the answer," and maybe later it will be something else.

I thought that stereotypically, rationals would be much more straightforward about these things..typically putting work first, wanting to get it out of the way, and then putting play in its scheduled place.

I'm not saying people actually fit these patterns exactly, but it's how I understood rat/irrat was supposed to work.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't really sound type related imo. Any type could do that, even if their functional reasoning differs from other types.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rationality question

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III

Sounds like me.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have said the person is in college, so it might have something to learn with growing and learning about yourself too.
    That story is just what I am told.

I first thought she was a rational person who had irrational tendencies.
    She does not seem like an irrational person who is 'trying' to be rational.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.