Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is God?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is God?

What would you feel has the right to be called God? What sort of entity would it be?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a very modest one.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God is whatever people want he/she/it to be ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God is a self fulfilling prophecy. It is what you think it is from hearing others talk about it. To me god is the unknown highest level of consciousness that the universe generates through its existance, a will that penetrates nonexistance by borrowing from it, whatever that may be. We are all bound to it, and we are all able to interact with it if our collective needs to. We can also receive messages from it and carry out its will, similar to how your muscles and cells carry out your will, even your brain cells carry out your will.... so where is the you?
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What is God?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    What would you feel has the right to be called God? What sort of entity would it be?
    I dunno about "entity".

I read something fairly recently that had listed "the nature of God" as being Love (adjective) and Holy (seperated from sin). And that we are made in the image of God, thus we have a concern for Justice and Righteousness/Fairness.

So basically, from that, I get the impression that many people who believe in "God" believe in a Universal Rightness.

While I would be more open to the concept of Universal Rightness, referring to the concept as if it's an actual entity bothers me. (which is funny considering how willing I am to "chat" with a mental image which stands for a particular concept I am trying to deal with).

Oh, and I do consider the Gaeia thing quite often.
    If there's such a thing as an entity, then i'd consider it along the lines of made up of a bunch of living planets.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me, of course.

(somebody had to say it)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Me, of course.

(somebody had to say it)

(clouds form in the sky, everyone politely steps away from FDG)
    -Slava

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Not a very modest one.
    This may be one of the first posts you've ever written that actually really made me laugh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The find the entire notion of a "God" to be insulting, in the common context. Most people can not cope with feeling out of control, and so they set up 'dummies' to control the world for them. Consider prayer, for example. You pray to an almighty God, and your tiny, feeble thoughts, yours alone amongst billions, have the power to sway some sort of cosmic justice in your favor? And when good things happen, it's God. And when bad things happen, where is your God? Does he get equal credit for the bad? It's either "just the way things were meant to be" or worse, "the work of the devil" . Regardless of the fact that if God were omnipotent, that he could easily subdue the devil and said evil.

As for supreme cosmic entities that interconnect the universe, same thing. You have zero basis for said claims, aside from your own feelings that you do not want the universe to be what it is -- a cold, unfeeling machination over which you have no control.

I would suggest, if you truly wish to have control in your life, get yourself a puppy and stop playing with imaginary friends who could push around the bullies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the cause/sustainer of the universe, origin of moral law, the most perfect being

“You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning,
    and the heavens are the work of your hands;
    they will perish, but you remain;
    they will all wear out like a garment,
    like a robe you will roll them up,
    like a garment they will be changed.
    But you are the same,
    and your years will have no end.”

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
    the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom."

theres more attributes and schtuff but i think you're looking for the most essential qualities?
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi
    I think any entity that is invoked is rightfully called a god.
    that would make police gods.
    -Slava

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God is a concept and societal construct given para-human characteristics. My current views of what God is exists between Ludwig Feuerbach (God is the projection of the self-alienated individual) and Émile Durkheim (God is the collective consciousness of a given society). So to put these views together: God exists as a result of the individual trying to integrate themselves into a society or environment, but by becoming a part of this society they alienate a part of themselves. The perfected form of how they see themselves is then projected as a god-like manifestation. God Proper (or the God as a part of a Religion) then exists as the shared collective experience of individual self-alienation to which we associate with universal morals, laws, and ideas. This explains why God is both anthropomorphic in description (self-alienation) as well as being ascribed characteristics and qualities which seem to change throughout time (changing societal values). This is both the personal God as well as the "universal" God.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Creepy-bg

Gawd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think God is probably something that exists mearly if you believe it does.

Or it could be something much more. Who knows.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But just because something exists in your head or out of belief does not make it material. The thought exists (as neural pathways and chemical signals), but not necessarily the manifestation of the said belief or thought. If that were the case, we could will into existence a plethora of strange or absurd oddities.

Or conversely, it could be something much less than the given attribution, character, or nature.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    But just because something exists in your head or out of belief does not make it material. The thought exists (as neural pathways and chemical signals), but not necessarily the manifestation of the said belief or thought. If that were the case, we could will into existence a plethora of strange or absurd oddities.
    Well, of course, but you totally missed the point of my post then. I meant to some people, having the thought of God inside their heads forces it to maifest itself in most ways that God is suppossed to. In other words, there probably isn't anything rong with believing in God even if you believe in science.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna call the next puppy I get God. I could see someone at a dog park saying God get over here, please God get your ass over here, God stop peeing on that tree, God quit humping that poodle...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

!!!!!!! I love that idea cracka!

Daniel wants to name our first son Judas, but I'm rather opposed to the idea.
    He also wanted Azazel, just so long as it's demonic
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    He also wanted Azazel, just so long as it's demonic
    I wouldn't know the name Azazel if it wasn't for the movie Fallen.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God is a concept and societal construct given para-human characteristics. My current views of what God is exists between Ludwig Feuerbach (God is the projection of the self-alienated individual) and Émile Durkheim (God is the collective consciousness of a given society). So to put these views together: God exists as a result of the individual trying to integrate themselves into a society or environment, but by becoming a part of this society they alienate a part of themselves. The perfected form of how they see themselves is then projected as a god-like manifestation. God Proper (or the God as a part of a Religion) then exists as the shared collective experience of individual self-alienation to which we associate with universal morals, laws, and ideas. This explains why God is both anthropomorphic in description (self-alienation) as well as being ascribed characteristics and qualities which seem to change throughout time (changing societal values). This is both the personal God as well as the "universal" God.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a cousin who named her son Judas. *sigh*. When he grows up he'll pick something else, or go by Jude or something I bet.

It is impossible to know where we came from, how life started, and what will happen to us after we die. In cases where people feel powerless, they make up superstitions to help them cope and give them some feeling of power.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

god is a tricky concept. what many people call "god" i would call something very different. the best manifestation of god is that which is. this is an almost all-inclusive category, but it is my firm belief that a flawed and incomplete perception of a precise and complete plane of existence is what inspires mystical and spiritual influence among mankind. from this come the constructs of religion, flawed, as they unfailingly consider the pure and thorough existence of everything as the all-encompassing factor as a manifestation of other arbitrarily derived concepts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    I'm gonna call the next puppy I get God. I could see someone at a dog park saying God get over here, please God get your ass over here, God stop peeing on that tree, God quit humping that poodle...
    That is brilliant.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wikipedia version of God's self description from the bible (doesn't help much but I like it )

"I am that I am (Hebrew: אהיה אשר אהיה, pronounced Ehyeh asher ehyeh) is one English translation of the response God used in the Bible when Moses asked for his name (Exodus 3:14). It is one of the most famous verses in the Torah. Hayah means "existed" or "was" in Hebrew; "ehyeh" is the first person singular present/future form. Ehyeh asher ehyeh is generally interpreted to mean I am that I am (King James Bible and others), yet, as indicated, is most literally translated as "I-shall-be that I-shall-be."

The word Ehyeh is used a total of 43 places in the Old Testament, where it is usually translated as "I will be" -- as is the case for its first occurrence, in Exodus 3:12 -- or "I shall be," as is the case for its final occurrence in Zechariah 8:8. It stems from the Hebrew conception of monotheism that God exists within each and everyone and by himself, the uncreated Creator who does not depend on anything or anyone; therefore I am who I am. Some scholars state the Tetragrammaton itself derives from the same verbal root, but others counter that it may simply sound similar as intended by God, such as Psalm 119 and the Hebrew words "shoqed" (watching) and "shaqed" (almond branch) found in Jeremiah 1:11-12."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God is pure

... I suppose every type sees something great that way. Ni, Se, Si...

It is probably better to say god is a brilliant all-pervasive thing, which we are a part of, and in turn, recognize when we see parts of ourselves in it.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

redundancy
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe God proper would be an entity whose will extends everywhere and anywhere---what he desires is his, what he yearns for shall be. With him everything must be possible. God is, then, very simply put, omnipotent and everything the term implies.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds quite dogmatic
    -Slava

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A statement that happens to come from the Bible, "I Am that I Am" or whatever, seems to be the most specific definition of God one can cite. God is whatever the hell God is, which is probably something pretty grand.

My personal view, which is derived from a chaotic blend of subjective and objective observations, (lolololol) musings, and reflections, is that God is an overseeing form of consciousness that exists in several/all dimensions of the universe. Consciousness in God's state is so greatly abstracted from our own view of what a consciousness is, that calling it consciousness can be considered a misnomer by some. Picture a human consciousness, with varying levels of awareness at different times of the day. God is like this, (on a larger scale) but the varying levels of consciousness happen at what we would perceive as simultaneously with one another, because of our fixed temporal vantage point.

Another theory of mine is that the only thing separating us from literally being God ourselves (or being any other person) is our own restricted 3 dimensional existence. I think all consciousness is a universal phenomenon that can be "plugged in" to any vessel. Except the consciousness is not the source of the vessel, or the power of the vessel, but rather the result of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    A statement that happens to come from the Bible, "I Am that I Am" or whatever, seems to be the most specific definition of God one can cite. God is whatever the hell God is, which is probably something pretty grand.

My personal view, which is derived from a chaotic blend of subjective and objective observations, (lolololol) musings, and reflections, is that God is an overseeing form of consciousness that exists in several/all dimensions of the universe. Consciousness in God's state is so greatly abstracted from our own view of what a consciousness is, that calling it consciousness can be considered a misnomer by some. Picture a human consciousness, with varying levels of awareness at different times of the day. God is like this, (on a larger scale) but the varying levels of consciousness happen at what we would perceive as simultaneously with one another, because of our fixed temporal vantage point.

Another theory of mine is that the only thing separating us from literally being God ourselves (or being any other person) our own restricted 3 dimensional existence. I think all consciousness is a universal phenomenon that can be "plugged in" to any vessel. Except the consciousness is not the source of the vessel, or the power of the vessel, but rather the result of it.
    I agree for everything except the "plugged in" part. I think the physical body generates the consciousness, and I also believe that the entire body is conscious rather than just the brain. All life forms in my opinion are conscious but we cannot interface with all levels and forms of it, so we tend to only limit the term to that which is close to us, and that which deviates becomes more... non living (unless we use other qualities of it to sum up its life value).
    -Slava

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought God looked a bit something like this:

Then I realized that I should probably stop tripping to "Lord of the Dance" videos.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, writing here will be pointless. My new years resolution was to try to stop thinking about things like this, but it didn't really work.

- ..... an aweful lot to sincerely look at when trying to really find a correct way to structure reality.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love it!

God is whatever people want it to be...

...if anything
    9w1

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God is just an idea.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Cigar
    Well to be fair, I also left out a very important archetype of God, which is God as the Creator, First Cause, or Prime Mover. But to this it can easily be said then that creation was merely attributed to the collective alienated God as a means to fill in their gaps of knowledge or understanding of their environment/universe until those gaps could be filled later.
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or conversely, it could be something much less than the given attribution, character, or nature.
    Have you ever considered that we simply do not allow by a form of psychic aggreement that we can never violate, on burden of inability to conceive of ourselves and therefore annihiliation, the ability to commit these acts of defiance against reason? Furthermore, how can we say that personal knowledge 7th function operation cannot make these things happen from a subjective vantagepoint? Is not the 7th function the link to God?

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe

Another theory of mine is that the only thing separating us from literally being God ourselves (or being any other person) is our own restricted 3 dimensional existence. I think all consciousness is a universal phenomenon that can be "plugged in" to any vessel. Except the consciousness is not the source of the vessel, or the power of the vessel, but rather the result of it.
    All this higher dimension talk reminds me of Xenosaga. What a discussion we could have here if everyone had played that game. (although looking it up on YouTube can be just as useful; all the cinemas are there) I think Xenosaga has engaged the most enlightened discussion of God's nature, and our relationship to him, of our times.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg

Have you ever considered that we simply do not allow by a form of psychic aggreement that we can never violate, on burden of inability to conceive of ourselves and therefore annihiliation, the ability to commit these acts of defiance against reason? Furthermore, how can we say that personal knowledge 7th function operation cannot make these things happen from a subjective vantagepoint? Is not the 7th function the link to God?
    Vermining a cocoon of unobjectified nonviable obsession doesn't allow for progression of my discussion on the pression of the traction of the destruction of the nuclear reaction of the fraction of my proaction.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't talking about some "higher" dimension, but literally other dimensions. 4th, 5th, etc.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg

Yes I have considered it, but I consider that to be a unattractive answer as that does not leave much room for further inquiry. You merely define that the 7th function is the inhibitory link to God. And from there you stop. But that still leaves the question as what is God? To what are we linked? In which case, my thesis that God is merely the projection of societal self-alienation would still be a viable option that would involve far less supernatural speculation and a greater room for psychoanalytic reasoning. Freudian and Jungian psychology would have a field day by connecting their theories with the Feuerbach-Durkheim postulate.
    Johari Box

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast