Thread: Typing people quickly

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Typing people quickly

Some of you that are more adept at typing others please help me here.

I've been here for a while, reading this and that, and trying to make sense of how all this works. Quite honestly it's a swirl of information that I'm trying to assemble in my head into something rational that I can use.

I think that something that may help me to understand better how Socionics works is to make a more earnest attempt to type the people I interact with and pay close attention to their actions and the intertype relations that occur between us all.

Consequently, I find I am in need of a fairly-reliable, yet quick, method of typing others around me. I won't always have the luxury of being able to interact for long periods of time to help with the typing, so this needs to be done quickly, and it needs to be somewhat accurate in order to reduce error.

What are some of the methods that you use to type others around you? Is there a set of questions you ask them or yourself to help you find out their type, or even a set of "tell-tale" behaviors or actions that are dead giveaways?
    ; 5w6

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Typing on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by napalm
    Consequently, I find I am in need of a fairly-reliable, yet quick, method of typing others around me. I won't always have the luxury of being able to interact for long periods of time to help with the typing, so this needs to be done quickly, and it needs to be somewhat accurate in order to reduce error.

What are some of the methods that you use to type others around you? Is there a set of questions you ask them or yourself to help you find out their type, or even a set of "tell-tale" behaviors or actions that are dead giveaways?
    There is no formula -- you really have to spend a lot of time reading about the types, the functions, and the behavior, and slowly develop the typing skills.

But as for "tell tale" behaviors, perhaps this will help (in no particular order).

- some people are very emotionally expressive when they are talking; sometimes even when working in alone at the PC. Their voices also have a clear range of emotional variation when they are talking, even on the phone: "noooo! Did she reaaaaaally say that?! I can't believe it!" etc. If this is clearly the normal mode of operation of the person, you can assume that it's almost certainly a Fe quadra type (Alpha or Beta), perhaps even a Fe-ego type; and you can almost certainly rule out Fe PoLR types, INTp and ISTp, and probably the Fe role types, ESTj and ENTj.

- some people seem to have a need to be more active, even nervous, and to take the initiative in doing things; again, if this is the normal mode of the person (and not related to a specific situation like being responsible for some activity etc), then the person is more likely an extrovert than introvert.

- some people seem to have a more "flutuating" personality in terms of mood, changing plans at the last moment and even disliking committing themselves to a plan; again, if that is very typical behavior, the person is more probably irrational than rational.

- some people clearly have no problem with being confrontational, even when not really necessary; again, if that's obvious, the person is almost certainly not a Se superego type.

And so on.

In many cases the above traits won't be immediately clear-cut; then you really have to keep your options open while you observe the person more deeply.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the first of your clarifications, expat, wouldn't there also be a relation with emotion-creating and construct-creating?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    About the first of your clarifications, expat, wouldn't there also be a relation with emotion-creating and construct-creating?
    The behavior I meant is really very obvious, as in the stereotypical ESFj behavior. ESFjs are construct-creating, while ENTjs and ESTjs, for instance, are emotion-creating.

However, even at their most emotion-creating, I don't see ESTjs or ENTjs showing the intensity of emotional expression (especially when working alone!) as do the construct-creating ESFjs and ENFjs. The difference is that the ESFj and ENFjs's emotions are directly connected to the emotional situation of the moment.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think typing based on the fly alone is asking for trouble.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Typing on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by napalm

There is no formula -- you really have to spend a lot of time reading about the types, the functions, and the behavior, and slowly develop the typing skills.

I know quizzes can be inaccurate, but are there any good questions I can ask someone to give me a start in the right direction when I'm typing them?

Such as:

"Would you rather X or Y?"

"If you were placed in situation Z, would you rather A or B, or something else?"

Learning all this stuff is a big chunk to bite off without a little help.
    ; 5w6

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, I thought this thread was about how you were going to get your paper done, 'cause you couldn't type it fast enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing on the fly in the general discussion on socionics, I don’t' think so .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I changed the title so people don't get confused.

; 5w6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd start with your friends, make sure you have their types correct. If you have friends you can discuss this with IRL it makes it so much easier cuz then you can type your friend's friends.

I found it very difficult at first as well. Now, over a year after being into socionics and 2 since mbti I'd say I'm pretty good at it. Keep a database of people you've typed. Over time it becomes easier because once you've identified 2 people of the same type IRL you begin noticing the subtle similarities and then you think, "wait, this reminds me of so and so" and suddenly you're going back in time, in your mind, typing people you've met in the past and this makes you look forward to typing people in the future
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii
    I'd start with your friends, make sure you have their types correct. If you have friends you can discuss this with IRL it makes it so much easier cuz then you can type your friend's friends.
    I disagree, because in typing friends and yourself, you can fool yourself rather easily if you aren't careful.

For me, typing people I know sorta well but am mostly unbiased towards is easiest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls