Thread: Roger Federer

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Roger Federer

He almost comes across as an IJ on the courts now, with his reservedness. But that might just be his sort of transcendence/zone factor.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTj.

I like this guy for his composure on the court. My bro prefers Rafael Nadal though.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Roger Federer

If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    INTj.

I like this guy for his composure on the court. My bro prefers Rafael Nadal though.
    lol, PoLR tennis player.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks ESFj to me honestly.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His face does seem rather large and wide, so I see where ESE comes from. He is very good with languages apparently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looks like an ethical type but he really has only one facial expression...sort of reserved smile...he always tries to be polite but sometimes he reveals a sort of judging side. I say it means Fi-dominant and my guess is ISFj. He has given some rather Se-statements in the past. Rarely but sometimes it slips from him. Like someone asks "This other guy thinks he can beat you tomorrow, what do you think?". "I think it is going to be a good game and he is a great player and we respect each other and blaa blaa polite stuff...and then he says: or maybe I'm just going to stab him like I did in our previous match and twist the knife in the wound a bit".

This is his basic expression (I put couple of ISFjs below to compare)

Initially way back I thought he could be ISTp but I have come to think he is ethical. If Rafael Nadal is ESTp then Federer would be contrary or supervisor to him.

To the ESFj option: not impossible but the lack of different facial expressions bugs me.

To the INTj option: he seems somehow too warm

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIIs can be warm, especially if they are in the spotlight like that IMO. Fi role dictates showing some warmth.
    But I agree that he does seem somewhat warm for an LII.

I have no idea about his type though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Looks ESFj to me honestly.

oh god, yeah, he does. like some sort of alpha SF (a lot like a guy i used to know in highschool who i thought could be ESFj.) at least. not polr. i suppose ESFj makes the most sense.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Federer himself is INTP IMO
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Again Federer makes the same smile in this pic. As if he had learned that smile and it is the only expression he can make. I doubt he is Fe-type like some people suggest. I could see ISFj, ISTp, INTp and the like. Even INTj is more likely than ESFj But I haven't watched his interviews much or read about his opinions much so...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEI and SLI are the two possibilities that I see.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Again Federer makes the same smile in this pic. As if he had learned that smile and it is the only expression he can make. I doubt he is Fe-type like some people suggest. I could see ISFj, ISTp, INTp and the like. Even INTj is more likely than ESFj But I haven't watched his interviews much or read about his opinions much so...
    Actually that smile is the Ti-evil-smile.

There are some actors that have a very similar smile:

Not sure about their type any more.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I always thought he might me ENTj Quentin Tarantino subtype, but he does seem ethical, so I don't really know. I could see ENFj.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also curious about his type. He just won the Australian Open and he didn't even drop a set.

He just dominates its amazing. His temprement is really good he is so relaxed and fluent on the court. This to me seems
    He also thanked Fernando's coaching team hes very humble. I would say he has the positive Dictonomy

ESFj could be right
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a person with in their ego block really be that relaxed - be called "stoic"? Not even celebrate much after a point won?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger
    I am also curious about his type. He just won the Australian Open and he didn't even drop a set.

He just dominates its amazing. His temprement is really good he is so relaxed and fluent on the court. This to me seems
    He also thanked Fernando's coaching team hes very humble. I would say he has the positive Dictonomy

ESFj could be right
    What about , or role?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost wonder if he's ISFj?

His address after his victory was interesting. I'm not sure what to make of it.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about his parents? His mother is ISFP IMO.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tennis-X looks into the game and life of tennis star Roger Federer: Birthdate: August 8, 1981
    Birthplace: Basel, Switzerland
    Residence: Oberwil, Switzerland
    Turned Pro: 1998
    Height: 6'1" (1.85m)
    Weight: 177 (80kg)
    Career Titles/Finals: 12/8
    Current ATP Rank: 1

Roger Federer's Parents: Mother, Lynette is South African; Father, Robert is Swiss. The two met on a pharmaceutical business trip.

Being Baby Fed:
    "I started playing at the age of three. I was playing soccer at the same time. At like 10 or 12 years old, I had to make a decision what I'm going to do now more than the other one. I had more success in tennis. Decided at 14 to go down to the National Tennis Center, but it was in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, I'm coming from the German. For me, it was very tough the first half of year. I wanted to go home. I was not happy. I was crying when I will to leave on Sunday. Then I went to the Orange Bowl, under 14. Came back, felt good, started to win matches. At 16, the tennis center changed to the part of Switzerland where they speak both languages. For the future, they can go in French-speaking schools and German. I decided to quit school at that time, at 16, because I felt like school was bothering me from my best tennis. I quit school and just went very quickly. I won a junior tournament and finished No. 1 in Juniors then. Also the change from Juniors to pros was not as tough."

Junior achievements: Finished No. 1 in 1998 after winning Wimbledon (d. Labadze) and reaching final at US Open (l. to Nalbandian).

Ditching the books at age 16:
    "I told my parents I'm not in the mood to go to school anymore and I want to focus on tennis and they understood it but they said that if, in the next few years, you don't have any results, you go back to school. I actually stopped school at 16 so that was a pretty big risk for me because I didn't have any ATP ranking, maybe 800 or something, and in the juniors I was like 60 or something. Then I finished as No. 1 junior in the summer and everything was going my way because somehow I felt school was disturbing me of being 100% focused on tennis, that's why I actually quit school and then tennis went much better."
    Choosing tennis over soccer as a kid:
    "In tennis I had more success, and I was traveling international already. In tennis I felt like everything was in my control. In soccer I could blame it on the goalkeeper, I could blame it on whatever. In tennis I didn't have that problem. It was only myself to blame."
    Tennis idols growing up: Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Pete Sampras.
    "The way I see it, I've always admired players with one-handed backhands just because I also played one-handed. For me, Edberg was my first, Becker after. They were more like idols. Sampras was more like the favorite player later on. I never tried to copy anyone. I think that's what the kids also should know. You know, okay, some techniques are good, but maybe there's something else also than the technique that makes your favorite player win the match. This sometimes kids don't see. But still, it's nice to have an idol. I've always enjoyed that."

Going to a psychologist in juniors:
    "I had that once when I was playing juniors because I was getting too upset, so I needed some help how to think about different stuff and how to get rid of that (feeling). Then I kind of worked on it myself."
    Racquet throwing days revisited:
    "I was throwing around my racquet like you probably don't imagine. Helicopters were flying all over. I mean, I was getting kicked out of practice sessions non-stop when I was 16. ... I don't know if I grew up a little bit. I realized that the racquet throwing didn't help my game because I was always getting very negative. I used to talk also much more. Now, I mean, I don't talk anymore. I'm just positive, you know. Also, of course, to play Center Court in front of a packed crowd, to play Pete Sampras, I don't know, doesn't make you scream, you know, throw racquets. I think that's pretty normal."
    Playing Pistol Pete:
    "I would like to say I'm lucky I played him one time. You know, that was always something I've always looked forward to, that I would get that chance. Better for me, it was Center Court in Wimbledon, plus I beat him in an unbelievable five-set match."
    The Federer Gameface:
    "I'm definitely a guy who is rather calm on the outside on the tennis court, but very emotional inside. I showed everything that was going on inside of myself at the presentation of the trophy in Wimbledon. ... You know, I'm happy when I make a good shot. But I always have my moments of disappointment when I miss. But for me I'm at a point where I don't need to show this. I need to keep my emotions under control. I have the feeling if I show too much, you know, it might hurt me for the next match. The emotion's left. I want to keep everything till the end. This is just the way I feel right now. It makes me feel good. I like the way I behave, myself. I think that is the most important."
    Those insanely magical shots you hit:
    "Yeah, more a few years ago, and just because everybody was talking about, 'How talented you are,' and, 'How easy it looks,' and you feel like you kind of have to live up to this and play the miracle shots, you know, the crowd-pleaser stuff. But I kind of stopped with that. All I want in the end is to win the match and not hit the best shot of the tournament, of the match. I kind of feel now that I know in what moment to play which shot. I think this is very important for my game. This is also why I can - I'm for over six months now in the Top 5. I think this is a big step for me mentally."
    Hey coach: Federer has no coach at the moment after ending things with Peter Lundgren in December 2003, though he is working on the road with trainer Pavel Kovac.
    "I feel good the way it's right now, otherwise I wouldn't perform like I'm doing. I'm definitely - especially after this result (winning the Australian Open) - not going to stress into something because it gives me kind of air and time to really think about what I want. At the same time I'm getting to know myself better, also what my needs are before a tournament. You know, I've always been taken care of with coaches. Maybe to be on my own a little bit does my game good. You know, in a way yes, and in a way it doesn't do me good because maybe I'm missing some advice. Maybe in the long run this could help me. Who knows."
    Winning on the dirt:
    "Even though I grew up playing on clay the whole time, indoors I was playing on the balloon on clay all winter long until I was 14. So, it's weird because when I came on the ATP Tour, I had 0-11 on clay. So I was like, 'This cannot be possible.' It was just I guess mentally on big points, on clay, you can just see more the weakness of your game, because you can massage the weakness I would say. On grass, it's two shots and it can be a little bit lucky or this and that. You guess and it works, you know. On the clay, you can't really guess and you have to work the point. So I was very disappointed in my clay court game before."
    The Grand Slam:
    "Impossible to answer. I have no idea. I've never been close to win the French Open or I would say the US Open. But now that I've played well at the Australian Open, I know I've got definitely a better chance also at the US Open. French Open gives me confidence knowing that I played finals in Rome, won Hamburg and won Munich. If that is enough to win a Grand Slam... I don't think so. I'll go step by step."
    The talented Mr. Federer:
    "I mean, 'talent,' it's very tough to describe. A lot of people love my game because I'm so relaxed on the court, and I play with touch. I play spin, slice, I come to the net. I play all over. But, I mean, it can also be a disadvantage. Some people don't understand. Yes, it can be a disadvantage, because I believe like a Hewitt, who has unbelievable fitness and mental toughness, for me this is also a talent, you know, but just in a different area of the game. So of course maybe I'm more relaxed out there on the court, but it doesn't mean you're going to win more matches."
    Most wanted shot:
    "I would like to have, you know, dropshot, this forehand dropshot all these Spaniards have. When they have this time, they just wait and wait and wait, in the end they play a dropshot. I could do it but I just don't have the confidence or I feel like, 'Oh, if I lose the point, I look so stupid.' So I don't even try these shots, you know. But sometimes it's good to do it just to mix it up."
    The look:
    "I think I'm kind of famous for wearing the red shirt and the white headband. So I stuck to it when I played from the fourth round on. It brought me luck once again. I'm happy about it."
    The smell... of RF Fragrance:
    "For the moment, we're just on the Swiss market. We're trying to get bigger there. Then we'll see if we go abroad. But we're trying to. You know, it's something we've done all ourselves. It's the Roger Federer fragrance. I helped a lot with it. It's something that means a lot to me. We'll see what happens."
    Mr. Popularity:
    "I'm very famous in Switzerland. Everywhere I go, people know me. That's obvious, you know. We're not such a big country, but I'm very, very famous over there. ... On holidays, you know. Like once I was in the Maldives. In Thailand I was also on some island and they knew me there. You know, it's just strange to be recognized."
    No cash in tennis, no worries:
    "The money for me is just a bonus you know because I love the game so much. It was always a dream for me to be a tennis pro and I always thought this money thing was like a bonus because when I came on the Tour and I lost first round and I got a couple of thousand dollars - that was for me just huge. I was not used to it. Now, sometimes when I see my bank account - my parents show me the latest and I am really surprised - you know, how much money I have already made. Of course I would play the game, it is not a question for me."
    I'm a dreaming man:
    "I'm a funny guy, I'm outgoing, you can have a lot of fun with me. I can hang out. On the bad side, I don't always listen to people because I'm dreaming too much and I have to ask them to repeat what they say."
    Gal pal: Former WTA player Miroslava Vavrinec, who retired from the game in 2002 after a foot injury. The two met at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
    "It's important in a girlfriend to understand what I'm doing, that she likes me. I don't ask for too much, I want to get along well. I don't like to fight."
    Bad sleeping habits:
    "I've got this thing when I'm sleeping - you know - I don't know if I should say it, but I've this problem when I'm banging my head against the pillow, you know, I don't know what this is but I'm doing this since I'm a baby. If I'm lying on my stomach and I'm banging my head against the pillow. I really would like to know where and why and where it comes from - it's so embarrassing, so bad!"
    Beer man:
    "Not really. I'm not a beer fan. I drink other stuff."
    Language skills:
    "In school we had English and French. Then I went to the French-speaking part of Switzerland so I learned the French because I couldn't speak at all."
    Off court hobbies: Sports, cards, sitting on the beach, playing cricket and ping pong.
    On cricket: "I just really watch it just because it's relaxing, you know. I understand the rules. That's already something for a European. The other guys, all my friends, they don't understand the sport, so I got to switch. But that's fine."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His mother, what type is she then:

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His father:

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Father: ESFJ or ISTP, first more likely

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girlfriend:
    ISFJ then, do we have agreement on this?

[/quote]

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girlfriend:

[/quote]

He looks scary to me here.

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Girlfriend:

He looks scary to me here.
    he's scary to me in all of these. good satanic/evil Ti look there/fake Fe social smile. he just smiles too much like an ex of mine so i'm completely losing any hint of objectivity i had regarding his type. i always thought the ex was like, some Ti type though. more specifically istj.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTj could be so, yes.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was watching some tennis lately and I also wondered about his type. My first thoughts were "ST" of some sort and now I think ISTj would make the most sense. ISTp came to mind too, but I think ISTj would be more likely.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having been around an ISTj recently for an extended period of time, LSI is a definite possibility, especially in regard to his 'appearance' of concern for his fans (which is likely legitimate), but I get that same "appearance" from LSIs. I imagine I give off appearance as well, sometimes. It is .

His focus on the court and IJ demeanor also fits excellently.

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is a very strong extravert. Just watch him. Probably if anybody were to make him take a Big-5, he'd score on the 90-100 range.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTjs act extraverted around the public. One ISTj knows almost everyone... everywhere we go... and is "extraverted" in appearance. Uses Fe even. But it is so superficial and fake... I cannot stand it.

Federer: IEE
    Nadal: SLI

Or

Federer: EIE
    Nadal: SEE