Thread: One more person I know before I head off on vacation

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default One more person I know before I head off on vacation

This is someone I used to work with, but I live in a small town so I still run into him all the time and we're still reasonably close acquaintances.

He is an engineer but he is more interested in the sales aspect of it - like getting new clients.

He likes to live in town where there's lots going on, and in a trendy place. He also is very concerned about his clothes and overall image. Oddly, he asks my advice on these matters. I don't know if it's because he really wants my advice (I am not a good person to ask) or if it's because he's showing off how hip he is. It doesn't matter to me particularly, he's generally a nice guy if a bit pretentious, so I just play along. The thing he usually asks my advice about is when he buys gifts for his girlfriend (which is often). Like he wants to know if the gift is right for the occasion, and I suppose if girls like it. He usually chooses jewelry.

He is very pretentious about things like music, books, etc. We were talking about music at some point and he made a point to say he only listens to classical music and wouldn't be caught dead listening to pop music.

He likes to argue. And he likes to at least make it seem like he knows more than I do about everything. This drives me crazy. I don't mind the pretentiousness, although it makes me roll my eyes. I do not like when I'll say something and he will *always* correct me and instruct me on something, even when he's wrong or doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying. He's always asking my advice on things or what I think about things, and it feels like he's trying to trap me into a debate.

Anyway, my reaction to him is exactly the same as my reaction to someone in this forum, which made me wonder if they were the same type. I will not say who but it might be easy to guess.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

esfj?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some EXXj type?

Sounds like an acquaintance of mine, who I found totally fake.
    Maybe some miscellaneous type gone wrong.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    esfj?
    it's weird, that was my gut guess.

although maybe not ESFj either.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"He is an engineer but he is more interested in the sales aspect of it - like getting new clients."

extrovert

"He likes to argue. And he likes to at least make it seem like he knows more than I do about everything."

probably ENTp.

maybe ESFp.

Ejs don't strike me as show-offy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: One more person I know before I head off on vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    Anyway, my reaction to him is exactly the same as my reaction to someone in this forum, which made me wonder if they were the same type. I will not say who but it might be easy to guess.
    I was thinking over and over again just who this person is. After reading all the replies here, someone finally snapped into my head. I think I know who it is but don't worry 'cause I ain't telling .

The guy above is some extrovert but I dare not guess further until there is more information.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENFj I think.

Possibly an ENTj strong Ni subtype might make this impression on you, too.

Seems like an E3.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    ENFj I think.

Possibly an ENTj strong Ni subtype might make this impression on you, too.

Seems like an E3.
    that sounds good. i didn't quite see the in that description. also asking for advice in / sorts of matters doesn't seem like something that an ESFj would need to do at all.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK well this part

He likes to argue. And he likes to at least make it seem like he knows more than I do about everything. This drives me crazy. I don't mind the pretentiousness, although it makes me roll my eyes. I do not like when I'll say something and he will *always* correct me and instruct me on something, even when he's wrong or doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying. He's always asking my advice on things or what I think about things, and it feels like he's trying to trap me into a debate.
    Is the part I was talking about reminding me of someone here. And that's Gilligan. So I thought maybe this guy could be ENTp. But I don't know what type he is. And a real-world interaction is hard to compare to an internet interaction anyway.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK well this part

Is the part I was talking about reminding me of someone here. And that's Gilligan. So I thought maybe this guy could be ENTp.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: One more person I know before I head off on vacation

Ti PoLR, btw.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he could be ENTp, it's just that he seemed a bit too image-focused in an Enneagram 3 manner.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

istj
    intj
    entp
    estp

his Ti is obviously pissing you off. so that means one of the above.

Well he could be ENTp, it's just that he seemed a bit too image-focused in an Enneagram 3 manner.
    i agree wholeheartedly. thats why i'm confused. the image thing seems kind of Es... but does estp fit her overall description?
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He doesn't sound ENTp. Even when they dress well, I've really yet to see an ENTp that "flaunts" it? Also, more interested in the sales than the techincal aspect - again, doesn't sound ENTp.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking ENTJ. I had a friend who was ENTJ who behaved in a very similar manner.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    I was thinking ENTJ. I had a friend who was ENTJ who behaved in a very similar manner.
    lol just say something about how shitty their taste is, and they shut up.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    lol just say something about how shitty their taste is, and they shut up.
    I usually don't do that unless I'm drunk. Or hyper.

Will they really shut up though? LOL
    INTp
    sx/sp