Thread: Author: José Saramago

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Author: José Saramago

I've been reading a book recently that I thought had a great example of a passage that might indicate that the author is ILI. Tell me what you guys think:

Quote Originally Posted by José Saramago, The Cave
    We could and should violate the orderly logic and discipline of the story, but we must never ever violate what constitutes the exclusive and essential character of a person, that is, his personality, his way of being, his own, unmistakable nature. A character can be full of contradictions, but never incoherent, and if we insist on this point it is because, contrary to what dictionaries say, incoherence and contradiction are not synonymous. A person or character contradicts himself within the bounds of his own inner coherence, whereas incoherence, which, far more than contradiction, is a constant behavioral characteristic, resists contradiction, eliminates it, cannot stand to live with it. From this point of view, and at the risk of falling into the paralyzing webs of paradox, we should not exclude the hypothesis that contradiction is, in fact, one of the most coherent contraries of incoherence. Oh dear, these speculations, perhaps not entirely without interest for those who do not content themselves with the apparent and accepted nature of concepts, have diverted us still further....
    This passage seems to show devalued Ti, strongly valued Fi, and an emphasis on Ni through the discussion about paradox and contradiction.

Here are some pictures:
    jose-saramago-1-sized.jpg
    jose-saramago2.jpg
    jose-saramago.jpg
    Last edited by Aramas; 11-14-2016 at 04:49 AM.