Thread: types and ability to focus

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default types and ability to focus

what types are or are not easily distracted and what sorts of things might particular types be distracted from or distracted by?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

accepting Ne...distracted by virtually ANYthing
    including getting distracted from what distracted them from what they intended to focus on
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    including getting distracted from what distracted them from what they intended to focus on

I guess that's true. I'm embarrassed to even admit it.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking from my own and others experience, an INFj feels distracted when she is in an unfriendly atmosphere where there's conflict among people or just simply doesn't feel right. That's how I felt when I was in junior college, where 1/4 of my classmates are ESTp, and nearly all of them belongs to Alpha and Beta. That's how the school culture is.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice

Speaking from my own and others experience, an INFj feels distracted when she is in an unfriendly atmosphere where there's conflict among people or just simply doesn't feel right. That's how I felt when I was in junior college, where 1/4 of my classmates are ESTp, and nearly all of them belongs to Alpha and Beta. That's how the school culture is.
    So true! So I guess I wasn't wrong saying that this country has a higher number of alphas and betas. Most of the people in my previous school were definitely alphas and betas. Well, not to say I don't know any gammas or deltas.

-sorry for going off topic, just pointing out an observation.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: types and ability to focus

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    what types are or are not easily distracted and what sorts of things might particular types be distracted from or distracted by?
    Not sure, but the ESTjs I know are not easily distracted.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    sorry for going off topic, just pointing out an observation.
    np. Nice to know that someone feels the same way too. :wink:

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's how the school culture is.
    So how it is that I never socialized with my beta school-mates? I think not feeling particularly welcomed in an high-school environment is not-quadra-realted. Are you by any chance thinking about fraternities and the like?

In any case, to answer the original question - my distractability varies from day to day. Some days, I'm able to pull of concentration and fast thinking without any problem for long hours. Some others, 10 minutes of concentrations are enough to bore me.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    So how it is that I never socialized with my beta school-mates? I think not feeling particularly welcomed in an high-school environment is not-quadra-realted. Are you by any chance thinking about fraternities and the like?

In any case, to answer the original question - my distractability varies from day to day. Some days, I'm able to pull of concentration and fast thinking without any problem for long hours. Some others, 10 minutes of concentrations are enough to bore me.
    It's not the matter of feeling welcomed or not. I'm lazy to elaborate.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how it is that I never socialized with my beta school-mates? I think not feeling particularly welcomed in an high-school environment is not-quadra-related. Are you by any chance thinking about fraternities and the like?

I agree with FDG. When you first enter a new environment, you will be instantly judged according to your demeanor, how you dress, how you talk, etc. People who are similar to you will be receptive while everyone else will be not. This has little relation to quadra (although some groups are more likely to have people of a certain type/quadra).

Another factor that influences this is the fact that in school a lot of people are acting fake thus suppressing their quadra values. Even if subconsciously they know that the new guy is alright they'll think to themselves "he looks like a goth...I'm staying away from this loser."
    ENTj

"A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it..."

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
    - Thomas E Lawrence

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too, especially lately. I find myself "waking-up" only to realize that I'd been staring at the wall for the last thirty minutes in la-la land.
    I think the more sleepy I am, the less I'm able to stay focused on the world.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think not feeling particularly welcomed in an high-school environment is not-quadra-realted. Are you by any chance thinking about fraternities and the like?
    Like what Mea had mentioned, it's not about the matter about feeling welcome. I guess it's the "atmosphere" of the class (for example), or should I say the "vibes" that they give out which makes u feel that u are different from some of them (in a way), like that of a conflicting quadra.

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante
    I agree with FDG. When you first enter a new environment, you will be instantly judged according to your demeanor, how you dress, how you talk, etc. People who are similar to you will be receptive while everyone else will be not. This has little relation to quadra (although some groups are more likely to have people of a certain type/quadra).

Another factor that influences this is the fact that in school a lot of people are acting fake thus suppressing their quadra values. Even if subconsciously they know that the new guy is alright they'll think to themselves "he looks like a goth...I'm staying away from this loser."
    I agree with what pezzonovante has mentioned, especially the part about people acting fake and suppressing their quadra values.

As mentioned earlier, 1/4 of my class in junior college was made out of ESTps. They are fiercely competitive in every way you can possibly imagine. They love to compare the neighbourhood we live in, our parents' jobs, our test and exam results, athletic prowess, our school activities etc. You have to let them win sometimes since they are so bent into winning. Luckily we wear uniforms to school, or else they will keep comparing the brands of our clothes everyday. They also enjoy making unproductive and silly comments in class endlessly such as putting down someone in class. Moreover, they are critical of everything u do, such as how u walk, how u smile and other little actions u make. The only people they didn't criticize were the EXTjs, whom they have due respect for. With such ESTps around, u can't help but feel conscious about yourself, and it in turns distract u from everything u do, and u are constantly thinking whether u are doing it "right" or not.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah I understand. They're rather laughable. Yeah, letting them win and then laugh at their shoulders is what I've always done, but I also think that you have mistyed ESTps as "people who do what you described". Because there's far from a 1:1 correspondace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if subconsciously they know that the new guy is alright they'll think to themselves "he looks like a goth...I'm staying away from this loser."
    how true. all the connections form in your mind and this person quickly loses his chance to prove his worth or usefulness to you. not only are goths subjected to this kind of bias but also male and female dandies. people think that they are superficial and less intelligent until... well, it is fun to give people a surprise .

easily distracted = dominant Ne (very effective idea generators. ability to stay on track/follow-up could use some help)
    not easily distracted = dominant Ti/Te (not certain about dominant Fi)

again, most of the people that i've had the chance to observe are limited to the younger crowd.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stefana
    Even if subconsciously they know that the new guy is alright they'll think to themselves "he looks like a goth...I'm staying away from this loser."
    how true. all the connections form in your mind and this person quickly loses his chance to prove his worth or usefulness to you. not only are goths subjected to this kind of bias but also male and female dandies. people think that they are superficial and less intelligent until... well, it is fun to give people a surprise .

easily distracted = dominant Ne (very effective idea generators. ability to stay on track/follow-up could use some help)
    not easily distracted = dominant Ti/Te (not certain about dominant Fi)

again, most of the people that i've had the chance to observe are limited to the younger crowd.
    What you say is the reason why I love going to goth-like parties dressed perfectly, and to dandy parties dressed as a punk and then talk like an ass when dressed as a dandy, and talk eloquently when dressed as a punk, so that the confusion is even bigger!

I think that EPs have the most trouble concentrating.
    IJs the least.
    EJs second best, IPs second worst.

Let's try...

From worst to best
    ENxp
    ESxp=INxp
    ISxp=ENxj
    ESxj=INxj
    ISxj

Let's see if we can find some simmetry...

there seems to be none except

conflict between the upper and lower vertices
    conflict between the upper-left and lower-right and upper-right and lower-left
    conflict between the y axis in the middle

which means jack shit

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which means jack shit
    hahhaa

i dont concentrate well at all but i do know when you're bullshitting me or being really inconsistent in speech. That's the kind of non-distraction I have.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this could be related to the Process vs. Result dichotomy
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am averagely good at staying focused, but it's always very difficult to get started with the focusing part. I'm not at all good at concentrating.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there are some non-socionic factors that affect concentration level. One is age and whether you have identified your crucial interests. Another is an inborn ability to focus on a single distant task for an extended period of time (months, years) that many people do not have (likely related to high achievement motivation).

My worst experience with poor concentration was when I was taking statistics classes in college (for reasons I no longer understand). I could only concentrate on assignments for up to 1 minute. The only thing that saved me was hiring a tutor. In many other areas, though, I have very high concentration, but only if I'm working alone and in a good state of mind.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I think there are some non-socionic factors that affect concentration level. One is age and whether you have identified your crucial interests. Another is an inborn ability to focus on a single distant task for an extended period of time (months, years) that many people do not have (likely related to high achievement motivation).

My worst experience with poor concentration was when I was taking statistics classes in college (for reasons I no longer understand). I could only concentrate on assignments for up to 1 minute. The only thing that saved me was hiring a tutor. In many other areas, though, I have very high concentration, but only if I'm working alone and in a good state of mind.
    Statitics??? How could you?? It's probably one of the cooolest classes I've ever taken!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick

Statitics??? How could you?? It's probably one of the cooolest classes I've ever taken!
    Oh I loved my class "Introduction to Statistics!" It was all the other classes that came after it...
    I pretty much love all introductory classes: "Introduction to Anthropology." "Introduction to Wittgenstein's Pseudo-Lamarckian Dialectical Epistemology." "Introduction to Tantra Yoga," etc.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which ones didn't you like? Probablity theory? Stochastic processes? Econometrics?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which ones didn't you like? Probablity theory? Stochastic processes? Econometrics?
    I have always liked probability; we discussed it mostly in the introductory class. "Quality Control" was worse, and the evil class I almost failed I can't remember the name of