Thread: ENFp-IEE Subtypes

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    (Note2: Regardless of the negativist/positivist thing, I still don't see it as being "negative" as in downer/weak to be aware of lack of potential or lack of potential fulfillment. In fact, I'd call it realistic. )
    You would. So would I.

Anyway, I really like what you wrote.

On this glass business. I want the Despair.com mug; it's got a line halfway up, and underneath the line, the words, "This glass is now half-empty". I'd post a link, but with the blackout sale, it's password-protected 'till tomorrow.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    To Sereno, an add on to what Ryene wrote:

To be honest, I didn't get a negative vibe from what mikemex wrote. It seemed that he was merely attempting to use socionics to explain ENFps..after the fact. As in, awareness of what ENFps do, and then using socionics terms to try to explain it.

I also didn't see it as showing ENFps not having an "I can do anything" mentality. Anytime a type has to move out of their primary ego functions and utilize another function, they are having to expend more energy to utilize the other functions. The less familiar they are with using that skill/ability/information, the more energy it will require to use it. I think ANY type would find that sometimes it's best to just stop "wasting" energy and put their energy to better usage. However, that doesn't mean inability. Just weakness in that particular area. Most people do not want to feel weak. Many people do not have an interest in developing their weak areas. It requires a lot of energy to do so. There is nothing wrong with that.

I believe that ENFps DO believe in human potential. Also individual potential. But I believe that most enfps also know that not every individual will reach every potential. That some individuals have potential in areas that others don't. And that some individuals (including ourselves) would be better served delegating certain things to others who have a better potential of fulfilling that need than we would. There is nothing negative about this, imo.

Also, regarding the "negative nonsense". One thing to keep in mind is that supposedly, according to some aspects of socionics, ENFps are negativists, INFjs are positivists. I guess it's still open for grabs as to whether "negativist" means "downer", "critical", "can't", or 'noticing what's not there'. I personally believe that it's closer to noticing what's not there. But even this leaves a lot of room for …mmm.. expression? I mean, in terms of human potential it could be
    * noticing what the person is unable to do
    * noticing what the person is unwilling to do
    * noticing what the person has difficulty doing
    * noticing what the person lacks unwillingness to do (they may not WANT to do it, but they also may not NOT want to do it..they are more neutral towards it)
    * noticing what the person doesn't lack difficulty doing (if given a choice between doing something I have difficulty with and asking someone who has less difficulty with it than me, depending on the degree of difference, I will most likely ask for help or delegate to that person) (and of course, if the person has NO difficulty with the thing, and perhaps even enjoys it, then definitely ask them for help or delegate to them)
    * etc

(Note: It's also probably up for grabs as to whether the negativist/positivist thing would be better described as Ne-+Fi and Fi+-Ne for delta NFs)

(Note2: Regardless of the negativist/positivist thing, I still don't see it as being "negative" as in downer/weak to be aware of lack of potential or lack of potential fulfillment. In fact, I'd call it realistic. )
    Good post.

I agree with everything that you wrote... And you're right--it's not that ENFps have an "I can't do anything mentality." mikemex, if I understand correctly, was attempting to give a realistic appraisal of ENFp's functional weaknesses.

That doesn't mean that ENFps' weaknesses cannot become strengths with a lot of effort and repetition--in that way, I agree with you too, Salawa. Anyone can do anything, for sure. For example, I COULD become really good at Calculus, I have no doubt--but for me it would be an up-hill climb given my natural strengths, (Ne, Fi,) and not a process that I'd relish.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of quoting the many posts, I'll just say that I read them and I do see what all you guys are saying .

But, at the same time I don't see "following step by step instructions" to be something considered function-related based on socionics, though I may be wrong I guess. A manual, or any type of instructional material, is written by somebody/some people. If the instructions are independent of the "somebody," in that regardless of the person writing it, the instructions will remain the same, then I guess I could see how a generalized "hardship in following instructions" assumption could be made. But, for example, I could make an instructional book with pictures, while somebody else could just use wording... I highly doubt that a manual taylored to a specific way of learning will result in difficulties for the person to follow them. Like Juju mentions with Calculus, even math professors (which to me are pretty much alpha NTs) don't like how certain books explain the material, they find it confusing. Just because you might not understand it, doesn't mean that the person with the problem is "you," and that you're "weak" (which is a harsh word in itself).

But, supposing we are dealing with a clear step-by-step instructional booklet... wouldn't that be more related to patience if you're having difficulty following? Because, really, if an instruction tells you to press "A" and then press "B," what's so hard about that? I can definitely see myself going crazy if the steps take forever to finish though... That's what I mean by relating it to patience.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sereno View Post
    But, supposing we are dealing with a clear step-by-step instructional booklet... wouldn't that be more related to patience if you're having difficulty following? Because, really, if an instruction tells you to press "A" and then press "B," what's so hard about that? I can definitely see myself going crazy if the steps take forever to finish though... That's what I mean by relating it to patience.
    For me perahps the reasons why i dont read instructions is its a logical bottom up process. A to b, b to c, c to d. I would prefer to look at what im doing from a top down process. Try to get the feel of it and figure it out from there. I think that could be argued to be related to the function. I agree with you its probablly more to do with patience tho.

I also agree exactly what the other ENFp's said about human potential. When i was younger i would have agreed with you. I was much more idealistic back then. I cant be the worlds greatest high jumper. I just cant. Theres a physical limitation on my body and my height. Since there is physical limitations on the human body i dont see why there isn't on the human mind aswell. I do believe however that every human ive ever met can improve on themselves in some way and i like to come up with realistic ways to make this happen.

Yeah I think this could be a really good illustration of INFj positivism vs ENFp negativisim. Just different ways of looking at it.
    Last edited by meatburger; 04-02-2008 at 05:58 AM.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    For me perahps the reasons why i dont read instructions is its a logical bottom up process. A to b, b to c, c to d. I would prefer to look at what im doing from a top down process. Try to get the feel of it and figure it out from there. I think that could be argued to be related to the function. I agree with you its probablly more to do with patience tho.

I also agree exactly what the other ENFp's said about human potential. When i was younger i would have agreed with you. I was much more idealistic back then. I cant be the worlds greatest high jumper. I just cant. Theres a physical limitation on my body and my height. Since there is physical limitations on the human body i dont see why there isn't on the human mind aswell. I do believe however that every human ive ever met can improve on themselves in some way and i like to come up with realistic ways to make this happen.

Yeah I think this could be a really good illustration of INFj positivism vs ENFp negativisim. Just different ways of looking at it.
    I'm under the impression that if somebody wants something badly enough that they will achieve it, and you'll eventually find a way to do it, though it might not be exactly the way you want it. I just found this out, which I think is really interesting, that there have been olympic athletes that had poliomyelitis when they were children (though I did know about Wilma Rudolph already): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_polio_survivors ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    I worked for an engineering firm and there were a couple of ENFps and INFjs there. Not the majority by any means.

I worked for my uncle's engineering firm for a while. He is ISTP (Si I think).I think this one other engineer there is ENFP, probably Ne subtype.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christy B View Post
    I worked for my uncle's engineering firm for a while. He is ISTP (Si I think).I think this one other engineer there is ENFP, probably Ne subtype.
    I'm gonna be a "Master of Science" come september. I sort of fell into it. I've always been good at math and sometimes i still enjoy the pureness and logic of it. But the math i'm doing now bores the **** out of me. When i think of the jobs waiting for me once i'm done really depresses me. I think i am gonna be one of those ENFps you hear about going from career to career

I still don't know what i want to do with my life (careerwise), just not "statistics"

oh yeah, i'm prolly Ne subtype, but my face is roud. Go figure
    n00bIEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dattebayo View Post
    I'm gonna be a "Master of Science" come september. I sort of fell into it. I've always been good at math and sometimes i still enjoy the pureness and logic of it. But the math i'm doing now bores the **** out of me. When i think of the jobs waiting for me once i'm done really depresses me. I think i am gonna be one of those ENFps you hear about going from career to career

I still don't know what i want to do with my life (careerwise), just not "statistics"

oh yeah, i'm prolly Ne subtype, but my face is roud. Go figure
    How old are you? I don't think many people know for quite some time just what they want to do. But be glad you're good at math! It's always kicked my ass.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25 and sorry to hear that.
    n00bIEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dattebayo View Post
    25 and sorry to hear that.
    hey!

Anyway, yeah, I don't think we'll know till we're 30, and then we'll want to switch again.

- Voltaire

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    hey!

Anyway, yeah, I don't think we'll know till we're 30, and then we'll want to switch again.
    Not true.
    I've known since the second grade that I was going to grow up to be a bachelor.

And just look at me now...
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it everything you dreamed of?

- Voltaire

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Was it everything you dreamed of?
    And more

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post

And just look at me now...
    Is that you in the avatar? On the left?
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christy B View Post
    Is that you in the avatar? On the left?
    I can be whoever you want.... baby.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two pretty much naked men playing twister. I cant see a happy ending to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    I can be whoever you want.... baby.
    Lets fly you to the Philippines and get you a sex change operation as a joke to Luis
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat View Post
    I haven't had exactly those experiences, but I can relate to what you're saying. That's more or less what I meant. Sometimes there's this stereotype of ENFps being all about "wheeee!" and waterfights and openness and love and understanding and gambollings with butterflies and pink unicorns. Whenever I read descriptions of that type I'm certain that I can't be an ENFp. I'm outgoing in some situations and extremely tongue-tied in others, and it's not even something straightforward - I mean, I'm outgoing with strangers and then, after I've known them for a while, I get kind of shy - how strange is THAT?! That isn't what it's supposed to be like, or is it? And I've also done that thing where you make people laugh or something, and then you suddenly realize that you've actually succeeded, and that makes you freeze up. Or sometimes I long for company, and then when I get it, I'm feeling trapped and I'd give anything to be at my laptop working on some useless story.

Sometimes I wonder whether ISTps and ENFps aren't in some kind of "tortured soul" contest. Perhaps that's part of our appeal for ISTps - "whoa, compared to you I'm straight-forward!"
    I've had a lot of accidents after dating boys fallen in love with me (ESFx/ESTp) after parties (I'd been on silly switch and they attracted me too). Each of them were shocked that I can be that 'serious' and they mostly seemed unattractive to me after meeting again.
    I've got an impression that every word added to this post is just reapeating after you.

I'm subtype and I've had trained swimming and short distance running, but that doesn't mean I don't have problems with ... um .. body awareness. Also, I'm too mentally absent to train sports where a high concentration is needed.
    Last edited by Chocolate; 05-31-2008 at 05:54 PM.
    IEE. subtype.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    I've had a lot of accidents after dating boys fallen in love with me (ESFx/ESTp) after parties (I'd been on silly switch and they attracted me too). Each of them were shocked that I can be that 'serious' and they mostly seemed unattractive to me after meeting again.
    I've got an impression that every word added to this post is just reapeating after you.
    yeah it can be weird how incredibly silly we can be one minute, and then super serious the next. I think it not only confuses others, but it makes it difficult for me to get a good idea of what my personality is like when I'm so variable. I mean, it's great we're adaptable, but I think ENFps are like all 16 types mushed up into one. Even look at pictures right? A friend told me I looked like a completely different person in all of my pictures. That just kinda weird. But I am aware that depending on what situaiton I'm in, I will be giving off totally different vibes. And I'm not consistent, sort of like what Chocolate is talking about. So unless someone has known me for a really long time, they'll have a very warped view of what my persoanlity is (from extremely quiet/bookish, to extremely loud and crazy party person, etc.)

And along the same lines, I met a ENTP in a coffee shop the other day (who knew about Myers Briggs) and his guess was that I was an ESTJ. But I was just in a "work" mood. But I could totally see how he would think that, based on how I was acting and talking.

....so in the end, it's just super confusing being ENFp.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jewels, exactly. Seems like everybody have different opinions about me, my temperament, the most frequent kinds of my behaviour. My INFp friend after 3 years of close relationship told me she had never expected that I can 'see life really deeply'. It's weird. I have an impression that I played and still play all roles in my life as you said.
    I had a problem with typing myself in socionics, because I can be somewhat harsh and often very quiet especially in surroundings of the family. I'm pretty sure they'll type me as XNTp. But on the other hand I remember a lot of situations where I was called 'charming', 'benevolent' etc.

A propos a question of photos, rumor has it that I look differently on photos and in rl. I seldom use photoshop and that's why it's suprising.

Our variety and flexibility is possibly one of the reasons of calling us 'psychologists'.
    IEE. subtype.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the descriptions I've encountered before, I feel like I fit both subtypes, so I don't think I'll ever know which I am lol With the opening post, I felt like a combo of things, so maybe I don't have a subtype? I think I'd have to find more on it or actually read through all the pages on this thread to see everyones' experiences lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky View Post
    From the descriptions I've encountered before, I feel like I fit both subtypes, so I don't think I'll ever know which I am lol With the opening post, I felt like a combo of things, so maybe I don't have a subtype? I think I'd have to find more on it or actually read through all the pages on this thread to see everyones' experiences lol
    in my opinion, that is a valid possibility

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBlade View Post
    Is it true that Ne subtype has Se repressed while Fi subtype has Ti repressed?
    I'd love to find out more about this very topic ...if anyone knows....i havn't studied very much on the super-ego functions....though i am very much aware of their presence in me
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    Every time I think I get a handle on the organization thing, stuff goes to pot again. I was just thinking about that last night as I was looking for a misplaced something or other. It seems that mail just comes in too fast for me to sort it. Junk mail is the bane of an ENFp. Especially when some company like Pottery Barn gets you on their list and you receive 3 catalogs from them in one week.

One trick has helped me tremendously in cleaning my house - setting a timer for 2 minutes and then concentrating on putting away all the tiny bits of junk that I set down and forget about. It's amazing what you can do in 2 minutes.

I have no idea which subtype I am. I just feel talkative right now
    I like thye episode where Bill Cosby(ENFp) misplaced his neighbour's drill

..2 mins- funny, like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Do you think it's possible for ENFps to love someone for life? I mean - wouldn't you get bored with them after you got to know them and want to move on? What is it about ISTps that's attractive to you?
    The ISTp(thru their S) know how to make the ENFp(N) come to a still.....ISFP has a similar effect but only gets ENFp half way there

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    Have you ever done a somewhat tedious task, and you come up with a plan of attack, then you start to do it, and then a little bit into it you realize that you can be doing it a better way? Your mind is kind of in that mode when doing tedious tasks, like, ok, let's try to find a good pattern here and I can repeat that almost mindlessly. You tinker ever so slightly with how you execute it out until you finally land on the right pattern. And by that time you're like 1/2 way done with the task.

funny....that sounds like the ENFp in me.......all i need is an ESTp competing alongside me with his Ni kicking in....and racing to do it faster to impress somebody around me....hey...its happened before.........i had to give hime some of my ENFp medicine if you know what i mean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    I didn't know so many ENFps here have had experiences with Engineering and IT and stuff. Tereg, do you know what your average time is between getting interested in something then moving on to something else?

*has IT experience* Summer job, tracking phone lines. It was major deja vu . Blasted thing. Nice job, though. Steady, but still with time to do my own thing.

I'll have to search my memory on this.
    Dejavu me too.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default question about subtypes

which subtype of IEE would have stronger Ni; IEE-Fi or IEE-Ne ? how about Fe?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    The Fe type. cause the Ne type would more ignore Ni in favor of Ne.

just some logic, I don't know wether this holds in reality...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say: IEE-Ne has stronger Fe, IEE-Fi has stronger Ni. I currently view the healthy and unhealthy versions as two different things, however...

IEE unhealthy has no Ni. IEE-Ne healthy wouldn't either; IEE-Fi healthy would. As for Fe, all IEEs have it; the healthy Fi subtype would have (use) it less than the healthy Ne subtype or the unhealthy version.

In conclusion: I agree with Jarno.

Can a function be strong and ignored? If you can't use it, then it isn't strong.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If IEE-Fi (while still being clearly IEE) is leaning slightly more towards SEE than IEE-Ne (which would be leaning slightly more towards ILE) is... Then IEE-Fi, by virtue of stronger Fi has even weaker Ti and Te, stronger Fe, slightly weaker Ne and Ni, and slightly stronger Si and Se. (carry out same thinking for IEE-Ne).

So, IEE-Fi has the stronger Fe; IEE-Ne has the stronger Ni.

I was thinking though recently that in that way of viewing a subtype, at some point the stronger the subtype is (if it's the leading function), the weaker all the other functions will become.

So if IEE-Ne starts really focusing on Ne to the extent that all you see is Ne... it will start having weaker logic and ethics and sensing... It will become unable to really process anything until it finally burns itself out... and then maybe it will come back, but who knows. Maybe a subtype is like an Achilles heel. I think it's best to just be smack in the middle of ones type really in that sense.

Oh bla, I just thought of several contradictions to this. Anyway I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by marooned; 04-02-2009 at 11:14 AM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two sore thumbs stand out:
    1) If Se is relatively weak because Ne is strong, then the same logic should apply to Ni and Si. Both can't be very weak, unless it is permissible for the person to loose all sense of introverted perception. In addition, if Se and Ne can't both be strong, Fe and Te can't both be strong.
    Hmm, my current model suggests that Ne subtype has stronger Si. If it weren't for that, I would say that Ne subtype has stronger Ni. So yeah, it's one or the other...

NeTi
    SeFi
    SiFe
    NiTe

(Value emphasis)

or

NeTi
    SeFi
    SiFe
    NiTe

(Strength emphasis)

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I hate subtypes personally blah. What's the use of them?

As long as I get the general gist of the types I see no reason why we have to split and separate themselves further.

I'm just saying that when looked at the whole picture me (a Ni-IEI) and another IEI who is (Fe-IEI), the difference is so slight as to be meaningless. It's focusing in closer, being more accurate- but ultimately, it is useless to me to do this. And even when you dualize, though I prefer a Se-SLE, the difference is again so slight as I can't imagine it has any practical application.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default IEE subtypes

The general consensus of those on this board who have typed me is that I am Fi-IEE. However, I remember reading the subtype descriptions and identifying a lot more with the Ne subtype. I also remember that there were conflicting description. Maybe we can start over and determine what those subtypes are?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    The general consensus of those on this board who have typed me is that I am Fi-IEE. However, I remember reading the subtype descriptions and identifying a lot more with the Ne subtype. I also remember that there were conflicting description. Maybe we can start over and determine what those subtypes are?
    Yeah good idea. I'm still not totally clear on how to distinguish them. The real differences i've seen are by VI. But not all IEEs are that clear cut.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, more info would be welcomed!

From what I remember...

Fi is "warmer" and more people/feeling focused. I think of Jennifer love Hewitt. More likely to show emotional concern for others, less likely to be taken seriously.

Ne is more idea-focused and a bit more detached or serious-seeming. I think of Nelly Furtado. Less likely to show emotional concern for others, more likely to be taken seriously.

Creepy-male

The problem with accepting/producing subtypes is they're pretty vague and ambiguous and difficult to apply because of it.

Have you thought about DCNH subtypes, Kim? I think it's a little ambiguous as to whether I'm Si or Fe subtype, but I can satisfactorily fit myself neatly to the C subtype in DCNH.

EDIT

This might be a big useless Ti dump, but, I think the purpose of accepting/producing subtypes is to help explain why two people of the same type look different on the surface. For example, with XEIs, the introvert subtype will be more withdrawn, calmer, quieter, whatever; be "more Ni/Si". The Fe subtype will be more emotionally colourful and whatever else; be "more Fe".

The problem comes because those dichotomies aren't actually what the subtypes are described as. The above is a simplification of how they work, and a rework to something more logical. As has already come up in this thread, based on descriptions, it can be ambiguous as to what subtype a person is.

DCNH essentially works on temperament, while preserving the useful system of dichotomies based on comparison. If you look at a person and see they're more like a certain temperament than another person of the same type, you have their DCNH subtype. It also works on the subtleties of the temperaments too: the C subtype, being the EP subtype, is sort of like a "part-time" Extravert, owing to being a Static subtype. They'll be basically introverted and socially withdrawn until/unless they have an idea they feel compelled to share, for instance.

FTR, DCNH covers:
    *Extraverted/Introverted,
    *Rational/Irrational, and, as a consequence, also
    *Static/Dynamic.
    Last edited by male; 03-13-2011 at 01:59 AM.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    The problem with accepting/producing subtypes is they're pretty vague and ambiguous and difficult to apply because of it.

Have you thought about DCNH subtypes, Kim? I think it's a little ambiguous as to whether I'm Si or Fe subtype, but I can satisfactorily fit myself neatly to the C subtype in DCNH.

EDIT

This might be a big useless Ti dump, but, I think the purpose of accepting/producing subtypes is to help explain why two people of the same type look different on the surface. For example, with XEIs, the introvert subtype will be more withdrawn, calmer, quieter, whatever; be "more Ni/Si". The Fe subtype will be more emotionally colourful and whatever else; be "more Fe".

The problem comes because those dichotomies aren't actually what the subtypes are described as. The above is a simplification of how they work, and a rework to something more logical. As has already come up in this thread, based on descriptions, it can be ambiguous as to what subtype a person is.

DCNH essentially works on temperament, while preserving the useful system of dichotomies based on comparison. If you look at a person and see they're more like a certain temperament than another person of the same type, you have their DCNH subtype. It also works on the subtleties of the temperaments too: the C subtype, being the EP subtype, is sort of like a "part-time" Extravert, owing to being a Static subtype. They'll be basically introverted and socially withdrawn until/unless they have an idea they feel compelled to share, for instance.

FTR, DCNH covers:
    *Extraverted/Introverted,
    *Rational/Irrational, and, as a consequence, also
    *Static/Dynamic.
    The bolded part made me laugh because it was a great anticipation of my actual reaction: "ugh, can we insert some Te here...?" But in all seriousness, I will have to read that more carefully, so bear with me.

In the meantime, I sometimes feel like an odd IEE because I do not like psychological closeness all that much unless it is with a significant other.

While I appreciate that people feel that they can open up with me, I don't always like it. I think there is a reason why I chose to be a university professor rather than a therapist: I can focus on people's potential and feel like I can change their lives for the better without having to crawl too deeply into their psyche. Sometimes students come to me and are in crisis and I listen to them and I show them that I care, but I am fairly quick to steer the conversation back to what can be done about the situation: let's brainstorm option, come up with the best-possible plan, etc.

That being said, I do care deeply about people's well-being, but my focus is always on finding a solution. Between lending a shoulder to cry on and giving advice, I would always chose the latter (as a personal preference). I love that I can take research time-outs and just indulge in Ne-matters.

For what it's worth, on student evaluations I consistently get the following descriptors: enthusiastic, nice, knowledgeable, scattered, goes off on tangents.

All that being said, I would be curious to know why the people who type me Fi-IEE believe that is what I am?
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don't believe in subtypes, but I like people in the following categories:

mushy
    super-mushy
    mooochy
    touchy-feely
    ohhh yes baby!

yummy, yummy, yummy....
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I don't believe in subtypes, but I like people in the following categories:

mushy
    super-mushy
    mooochy
    touchy-feely
    ohhh yes baby!

yummy, yummy, yummy....
    But deltas aren't really that, are they?
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    The bolded part made me laugh because it was a great anticipation of my actual reaction: "ugh, can we insert some Te here...?" But in all seriousness, I will have to read that more carefully, so bear with me.

In the meantime, I sometimes feel like an odd IEE because I do not like psychological closeness all that much unless it is with a significant other.
    That's funny Kim, that's exactly how I reacted to the Ti dump I read it but didn't really understand any part of it. Something about accepting and producing.

The Egbert Human, would you tell me what that means? Could someone translate to Te?

I think you're saying one is seemingly more extroverted and the other appears more introverted. Such as Fi is accepting right? And Ne producing? So the Fi moments are quiet contemplative moments, and Ne moments are "listen to this!!" right?

I think IEEs are fairly picky who we decide to get close to (which is kinda what Fi is about I guess?)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast