Thread: Importance of letter-place

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Importance of letter-place

How would you rank the importance of the letter-place in a type?

For example, I think the 4th letter is the most important, followed by the 1st, then by the 2nd, then by the 3rd.

And a letter would be most important if it would impose the greatest difficulty on relations should it be different, while the other three were the same.

So, by my example, it would hold that an INTP would have a harder time getting on with an INTJ, than an ENTP. To extend that, a list of types sharing 3 letters, from best to worst relation with an INTP, would be:

INFP
    ISTP
    ENTP
    INTJ

And for an INTJ, it would be:

INFJ
    ISTJ
    ENTJ
    INTP

So the INFJ would be the best option, of the four, for the INTJ to interact with.

I'm trying to see what is the most important letter-place; I'm just using the types as an example.

What do you think?
    thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To apply a realistic situation. I have scored as an INTJ and my best friend scored as an INTP. We actually get along quite well because we both have nearly the same intrests. However, when we tried to work on a project together I had trouble because I always felt like he was overcomplicating simple things which I believe is fairly characteristic of that type of relationship. So, I can't say that the typing reflects as much on the difficulty of relations in my experience. In general, the factor that seems to affect relations the most seems to be life experience which I believe is affected by particular typing but is warped unpredictably over time. It might also be important to define what you mean by greatest difficulty because you could argue that the contrast between P & J did not occur until we were placed in situation that would cause it to develop the most.

--Joshua R.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Importance in what sense? The similarity between the counsciously manifested behaviours between two types, or the functional similarities between two types?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the sense of interaction; beyond the formality of small talk.
    thing.

Creepy-beta

The 2nd letter and the 3rd letter are of equal importance. An INTP would get along equally well with both an INFP and an ISTP, the only difference is they'll get along with an INFP because they sympathize with their strengths, while they'll get along with an ISTP because they sympathize with their weaknesses. You are correct in saying that the fourth letter is more important than the first; types get along better with their contrary than their quasi-identity since quasi-identity relationships are like contrary relationships but with added psychological distance due to the difference in the rationality/irrationality dichotomy.