Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: ISTPs - impatient?

  1. #1
    he died with a felafel
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ISTPs - impatient?

    *error, error i say*
    Last edited by felafel; 08-05-2012 at 04:56 AM.

  2. #2
    eunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    Ne-INFj
    Posts
    2,955
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think they are impatient when we tell them something that is fanciful and unrealistic. The ISTps I know are subtle in showing it - they do not concentrate and just keep quiet, pretending to listen to you.

  3. #3
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmm I have to think.

    My husband is very very patient in some ways - like he's incredibly patient with me and our daughter. It's astounding.

    But if he wants something, like an item, or if he's hungry or something, he wants it NOW. He doesn't make a big fuss about it - but he will find a way to fulfill his need immediately if at all possible.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  4. #4
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It could be the things they're impatient about. ISTps have strong Si so they'd probably be impatient for things that make them feel comfortable, and sensory kinds of things, like food, or sleep, or whatever. ESTps have strong Se - I'm not that up on Se but maybe they'd want things that are displays of power or wealth and be impatient for that?

    OK well I'm just guessing on ESTps. But if my husband is impatient it's for something that could be considered sensory, or relating to comfort, or something in the Si world anyway. He is just one ISTp of course.

    I'm impatient too but if I'm impatient it's for something that sounds like fun. Like if I read a review of a book and it sounds good, I go out and get it that minute. Or I decided I wanted a Nintendo DS and my husband said I should wait for Christmas, and it was like six weeks ago or something and I just didn't want to wait 6 weeks. So Ne stuff for me I guess. Maybe people in general are impatient for things relating to their base function? Are some types more or less patient than others? I have no idea. I know I am very impatient.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  5. #5
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ESTps are always impatient ISTps are more patient, generally.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  6. #6
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ISTp is generally one of the most patient types. They'll get impatient if made uncomfortable. Fe makes them uncomfortable, so if you are really emotional effusive/openly judgemental of other's social behaviour expect the ISTp to be impatient in their own way. And by that I mean expect them to leave. ISTps don't enjoy impatient people. Why do you think they have such a hard time with ENTjs that jump to quick conclusions? Anyway, there are probably a lot of impatient ISTps, patience is usually related to health and stress moreso than type.

    ISxx = patient.

    in fact, I'd say from personal experience that I work on relaxing and becoming more patient at all times. It's a goal of mine, and something I want to see in myself and in others.

    ESTps are somewhat impatient. ESTps generally assume someone is doing a task incorrectly if they aren't doing it the way the ESTp thinks is correct. And they'll let you know- whereas an ISTp will let you complete the task and then tell you what you did wrong, and if they absolutely must butt in, they will be very polite in doing so.

    anybody ever been in a car with an ENFj? fuck it's horrible. All the warnings, paranoia, fear, and anxety. I can't stand it.
    asd

  7. #7
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath
    ESTps are somewhat impatient. ESTps generally assume someone is doing a task incorrectly if they aren't doing it the way the ESTp thinks is correct.
    Sounds more ISTj to me.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  8. #8
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    actually, you are right.

    I don't know how the ESTp labors. The one I know from work is massive and has a people orbit. He's always making sex jokes and complimenting ladies. He's definitely a guy that emphasizes his own team and friends. It's kind of frightening to a guy like me. I work my ass off-- much more honest and harder(heh, i assume) than he, but he has real people skills and will endlessly promote his group of friends. It's good I'm not looking to move up at my job, and also that the healthcare field isn't about social climbing. I respect him though because when I talk to him I know it's direct and he doesn't bullshit and he'll follow through.

    Anyway, he isn't a playboy ESTp like you, fabio, so don't read too much into what I say.
    asd

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath
    anybody ever been in a car with an ENFj? fuck it's horrible. All the warnings, paranoia, fear, and anxety. I can't stand it.
    They can't help it. You just learn to tune it out. I think ESFJs are worse cause they really want you to do what they said. ENFJs worries seem to dissipate on their own, they get distracted and get on with other things.

    Quote Originally Posted by socioniko.net
    ENFj expresses his feelings for his partner not so much through material care, as with dramatic narratives and warnings against possible dangers. The latter quality is quite important for his dual (The Inspector) who is not very capable of forecasting future events.
    female ISTj, sensory subtype

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The way I understand ISTPs is, they have 2 modes. They contemplate something until they're 100% ready to take action. I like to call it percolating. They may seem patient most of the time, but when the ISTP goes into action mode, if you are in their way, they are going to get pissed. That laid back demeanour is gone - "I'm ready, I've got to have it my way and I've got to have it NOW". Then, if blocked they can get so frustrated they almost burn up. But they still tend not to use many words unless it's essential, often they will just flash a dark expression at you to express their displeasure.

    ESTPs never have that patient mode, they are just "on" all the time. They are different in that if you are blocking something an ESTP really wants, you are going to hear a lot of words. You are going to be reasoned with, argued with, charmed and cajoled, berated, all the force of persuasion they can muster is going to be turned upon you with the power of their absolute faith in themself.
    female ISTj, sensory subtype

  11. #11
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zillah
    ESTPs never have that patient mode, they are just "on" all the time. They are different in that if you are blocking something an ESTP really wants, you are going to hear a lot of words. You are going to be reasoned with, argued with, charmed and cajoled, berated, all the force of persuasion they can muster is going to be turned upon you with the power of their absolute faith in themself.
    Ahaaaha, I love this description
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  12. #12
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    Hmm I have to think.

    My husband is very very patient in some ways - like he's incredibly patient with me and our daughter. It's astounding.

    But if he wants something, like an item, or if he's hungry or something, he wants it NOW. He doesn't make a big fuss about it - but he will find a way to fulfill his need immediately if at all possible.
    That absolutely describes my ISTp ex!
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  13. #13
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zillah
    The way I understand ISTPs is, they have 2 modes. They contemplate something until they're 100% ready to take action. I like to call it percolating. They may seem patient most of the time, but when the ISTP goes into action mode, if you are in their way, they are going to get pissed. That laid back demeanour is gone - "I'm ready, I've got to have it my way and I've got to have it NOW". Then, if blocked they can get so frustrated they almost burn up. .
    The 2 modes are the shift between being Dynamic-but-contented - IP - and Dynamic-but-not-contented - EJ. They get moving as soon as they notice that things are changing towards an undesired direction and that nobody else is doing anything about it.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    354
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Quote Originally Posted by heath
    ESTps are somewhat impatient. ESTps generally assume someone is doing a task incorrectly if they aren't doing it the way the ESTp thinks is correct.
    Sounds more ISTj to me.
    actually, you are right.
    Yeah. ESTp's accept diffeent ways of doing things but they will only do things the way the think is correct, and if someone questions their way they see it as a personal attack or something like that. They dont like it when people say 'your doing it wrong, this way is better', or 'your stupid, your doing it the hard way'.

    Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    I think they are impatient when we tell them something that is fanciful and unrealistic. The ISTps I know are subtle in showing it - they do not concentrate and just keep quiet, pretending to listen to you.
    lol, when I was younger my parents said I was an incredibly patient child, when I asked for a drink I would never keep asking or make lots of noise or anything, I would just wait and wait.
    Now I must admit I do exactly what you said, when people blabber on about unrealistic stuff or about someone I have never met or are never going to meet, I dont want to be rude or offensive or anything so I keep quiet and just pretend to listnen until their finished and then I will re-engage with them fully when there talking about something else.

    Quote Originally Posted by heath
    ISTps don't enjoy impatient people. Why do you think they have such a hard time with ENTjs that jump to quick conclusions?
    Thats really true! I can get along with anyone ok but one thing I find annoying about some people/types (although I dont let them know or say it directly - as above) is that really quick judgement, jumping to conclusions before you have a chance to explain something or even before you have finished your sentence. This is the same for ESTj's, they are great, and I like them a lot, but they sometimes do this also.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •