ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Arthur Schopenhauer

Did we type this lunatic before?

quotes:

Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.

Every time a man is begotten and born, the clock of human life is wound up anew to repeat once more its same old tune that has already been played innumerable times, movement by movement and measure by measure, with insignificant variations.

The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence.

Reason is feminine in nature; it can give only after it has received. Of itself alone, it has nothing but the empty forms of its operation.

My body and my will are one.

Life is a business that does not cover the costs.

For what is modesty but hypocritical humility, by means of which, in a world swelling with vile envy, a man seeks to beg pardon for his excellences and merits from those who have none? For whoever attributes no merit to himself because he really has none is not modest, but merely honest.

If a person is stupid, we excuse him by saying that he cannot help it; but if we attempted to excuse in precisely the same way the person who is bad, we should be laughed at.

Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he, who is cruel to living creatures, cannot be a good man. Moreover, this compassion manifestly flows from the same source whence arise the virtues of justice and loving-kindness towards men.

The composer reveals the innermost nature of the world, and expresses the profoundest wisdom in a language that his reasoning faculty does not understand, just as a magnetic somnambulist gives information about things of which she has no conception when she is awake. Therefore in the composer, more than in any other artist, the man is entirely separate and distinct from the artist.
    Last edited by silke; 01-09-2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason: updated links
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is he the existentialist philosopher??..... sorry i know i've heard and read about him but need some cues to retrieve the info from my Long-term memory (haha can u tell i had a cognitive psych exam not long ago?)
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFJ
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

I love the hair.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typeless Wonder
    I love the hair.
    Really?
    Kinda reminds me of floppy dog ears.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I always he was kinda INFp or ENFj.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems INTP to me. Anyone agrees?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typeless Wonder
    I love the hair.
    yes, he's trapped in the 80's lol.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    He seems INTP to me. Anyone agrees?
    After having read most parts of a biography of Schopenhauer I am actually inclined to agree. INTp is very likely. And I hope that you also are able to recognize the many very clear similarities between Schopenhauer and Wittgenstein.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wittgenstein and Schopenhauer are pretty different in terms of style. While I find certain subjects of Schopenhauer's interesting, I cant' stomach much of his writing. And on a superficial note, his look annoys me, even in the younger pictures where he still had a head. Basically we probably wouldn't have been friends.

I would say Wittgenstein is probably INTj and Schopenhauer something contrary to that.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought LII for Wittgenstein. Schopenhauer seems like a much more likely ILI.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GillySaysGoodbye
    I've always thought LII for Wittgenstein. Schopenhauer seems like a much more likely ILI.
    I have always thought either LII or ILI for Wittgenstein (and I now am rather, but perhaps not 100 %, convinced that he was ILI). I haven't had an opinion on Schopenhauer's type before.

I have to study Schopenhauer's style of writing more, but both he and Wittgenstein had a tendency to write in aphorisms. Both made a lot of personal observations and used them as a sort of starting point in their philosophical writings. They were not good at explaining their ideas in a way that other people would understand, and both had clearly negative and similar experiences when it came to getting their books published. They had clearly similar world outlooks. They didn't like the idea of progress, their political views were conservative and not in line with the spirit of their time. Both were interested in, and influenced by, Eastern religions, even though neither of them was religious in the normal sense of the word. It can be said that they looked at the world through "religious eyes", but especially Schopenhauer was against religions in general. Both were pessimists, and for what it is worth both of them were clearly different from Hegel both in spirit, outlook, and writing style. Schopenhauer's dislike for Hegel was enormous. And both Schopenhauer and Wittgenstein were quite aggressive when they proclaimed their views, often dismissing other people as idiots who didn't understand the obvious.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ILI, ofc

The World as Will and Representation = the world as Se and Ni lol

ILI-Ni. I only read some quotes. Kinda entitled. I also think identicals with Erich Fromm.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI > SLI
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XLI. I would like to see an argument for SLI, though.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI

and Ludwig Wittgenstein - LSI

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely Te/Fi valuing, Ni>Ne, Ti>Te. I type him as ILI. I like his writings, some of his observations are timeless though it was impossible to miss that some parts of his philosophy influenced by and based upon his personal feelings, grudges and resentment.