Thread: Help type this friend of mine

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help type this friend of mine.

This person is funny and has a goofy sense of humor. He does silly and sometimes exaggerated actions to make a point and makes everyone laugh.

His mood changes quickly and he gets too emotional too quickly. Emotional about his own problems or things that affect him. He complains a lot about his problems or predicaments. For example, he'd complain that his boss is giving him work that he doesn't understand, giving him too little work, or giving him too much work! And he sounds so depressed like most of the time.

Or he'd complain about his dad nagging at him too often. Or when he wakes up too early, when he didn't get something he wanted. Basically, he talks about his emotions a lot. He's very expressive in that sense and doesn't hide it.

Although he complains so much about his problems, he still does what is required of him. He'd go to work no matter how tired he is, or school (when he was still studying). Even if he thinks a particular to be unreasonable, he'd stick by it, not question it, and follows it.

We get along pretty well, but his whining does get to me sometimes. > <

I have an idea on his type, but I'm not too sure. Any suggestions about his type would be helpful.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFp?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    INFp?
    Actually I was thinking ENFj.
    And I've received a pm also suggesting ENFj.

I can't imagine INFp. He's really extraverted, talks to everyone, entertaining, and very out-going. And most likely a rational.
    He also displays a lot of Fe IMO.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I considered EXFj earlier on too, but I was kind of confused over the emotional part, 'cos I know some INFxs who like to complain. I knew that EXFjs love to engage in small talks and such, but I haven't seen one who talks about negative stuff. They seem more likely to talk about trivial stuff and happy stuff that they know will interest people. And the EXFjs I know don't sound depressed, 'cos they are unlikely to show people a weaker part of themselves, and only talk about negative emotions during a one-to-one conversation. INFxs are less discerning about how they portray themselves to others. When they start talking, they talk about anything they want, be it positive or negative, as they just want to let their feelings out. Well, I'm not sure. Maybe it's just applicable to my friends.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    I considered EXFj earlier on too, but I was kind of confused over the emotional part, 'cos I know some INFxs who like to complain. I knew that EXFjs love to engage in small talks and such, but I haven't seen one who talks about negative stuff. They seem more likely to talk about trivial stuff and happy stuff that they know will interest people. And the EXFjs I know don't sound depressed, 'cos they are unlikely to show people a weaker part of themselves, and only talk about negative emotions during a one-to-one conversation. INFxs are less discerning about how they portray themselves to others. When they start talking, they talk about anything they want, be it positive or negative, as they just want to let their feelings out. Well, I'm not sure. Maybe it's just applicable to my friends.
    Well, yes. I think he only whines when he's with me. Or maybe people tend to do that around me.
    But he's pretty expressive in his emotions. He doesn't feel the need to hide it, and you can usually tell what his mood is by looking at him. His facial expressions and body language. And he usually doesn't have a problem talking about his feelings & emotions.
    That's why I felt he's an Fe dominant.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds INFp
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure but perhaps ISFp. Fe ego, not necessarily Fe dominant.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if he's an intuitive or sensor. I can't really recognize Ni in a person. But I doubt he's a sensory type. I'll prolly add some pictures soon.
    He doesn't look or seem to me an introvert IMO.
    This is really puzzling. > <
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISFps can appear very "extroverted" -- it's a great source of confusion.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    ISFps can appear very "extroverted" -- it's a great source of confusion.
    '
    Hmm, yes. I've noticed that.
    However, Si doesn't seem to fit him. But it is a possibility I guess.
    The INFp description doesn't sound like him though.
    Haven't considered ISFp yet.
    But ENFj is the closest so far. And rational suits him fine so far.

I'll post his pictures when I'm home. I do hope it'll give a clearer picture.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm sounds ISFp to me too. At least he sounds like the ISFps I know. The ENFjs I know don't complain very much.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    Hmm sounds ISFp to me too. At least he sounds like the ISFps I know. The ENFjs I know don't complain very much.
    He doesn't exactly complain a lot, he just expresses him emotions a lot, and isn't afraid to express them. And from what I know so far, his life isn't going too well, thus all the negative things.

Some pictures:

[ pictures removed ]
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He definitely looks E. He reminds me of an EXFj.

On a side note, his hairstyle in the last photo reminds me of Jay Chou's in his November Chopin's album.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

description: ENFj/INFp
    VI: INFp/ISFp

Some pics lean towards INFp, others look more ISFp. IMO, ENFjs look very conservative. I know why I look conservative and I think the reasons are extremely type-related, so I assume ENFjs are not very likely to have the kind of scruffy hair and things. Another thing that I notice is that he has extremely different style clothing in various every-day situations. IMO, that's very brave. My closet is full of things that are all of 2 styles. With Si-PoLR it's safe to have one style at a time. Wearing fun accessories like hats is also dangerous... He looks great whatever he wears!

!!!! He can even make his hair fit his style of the day!!!! *bow down to the great *
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He could be ESFj too.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O. And not sure if this is type related, but he listens to metal.
    Umm.. My Chemical Romance? Dragon Force? Unearth?
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    O. And not sure if this is type related, but he listens to metal.
    Umm.. My Chemical Romance? Dragon Force? Unearth?
    the music reminds me of Alpha quadra music.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

music isn't all that type-related. Why people listen to music could be type related, but not music itself.

He doesn't look ESFj IMHO, but I only have a very blurry image of that type. He doesn't fit the EJ+ dominant mental image.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea. Doesn't look ESFj to me either. And the relation we have doesn't seem like a relation of benefit.

The ISFp description fits him some though. But he is not homely like what the description said. He loves going out, having fun, hanging around with friends...
    He loves to party, drink the night away , sing at a karaoke with friends...
    Yea, and he loves making people laugh.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ISFp description fits him some though. But he is not homely like what the description said. He loves going out, having fun, hanging around with friends...
    All of that is consistent with being ISFp.

The homely thing is not important. What is important are his motivations and reactions, the traits are merely clues as to his motivations.

An ISFp craves optimization of his Si sensations. That is achieved directly (good food, drink, music, dancing etc) or by being around a positive Fe atmosphere (hanging around with friends, etc). That is what counts for typing.

To be homely, for an ISFp, means only that they're enjoying the Si coziness of being at home, as well as possibly the positive Fe atmosphere of close ones (or possibly simply being away from the negative Fe atmosphere outside - that is why ISFps also often lock themselves in their rooms).

If you friend is ISFp, and if he gets a more positive Fe atmosphere and better Si sensations by being with friends, that's what he'll do, rather than stay at home.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    All of that is consistent with being ISFp.

The homely thing is not important. What is important are his motivations and reactions, the traits are merely clues as to his motivations.

An ISFp craves optimization of his Si sensations. That is achieved directly (good food, drink, music, dancing etc) or by being around a positive Fe atmosphere (hanging around with friends, etc). That is what counts for typing.

To be homely, for an ISFp, means only that they're enjoying the Si coziness of being at home, as well as possibly the positive Fe atmosphere of close ones (or possibly simply being away from the negative Fe atmosphere outside - that is why ISFps also often lock themselves in their rooms).

If you friend is ISFp, and if he gets a more positive Fe atmosphere and better Si sensations by being with friends, that's what he'll do, rather than stay at home.
    Okay. I'm finally convinced. Your explanation does make him sound ISFp. He probably is.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expat, what made you choose ISFp over INFp? You might very well be right, but I want to know if there's something I didn't think of myself.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISFps focus on having positive around them in an immediate, close way, since they are .

INFps focus on having positive in a longer-term, continuum, way. They are less concerned with the short-term variations.

It's similar to the difference between ESFjs and ENFjs. You, as ENFj, focus more on the broader image, or the role, as you prefer to put it. The ESFjs focus more on whether the person is in a favorable mood in that specific situation, in a more detail-oriented way.

The impression I got from Mea is that her friend is more focused on the immediate atmosphere, which is also why ISFps tend to be moodier than INFps.