Palmer Joss (Matthew McConaughey):

SR Hadden (The rich guy in space):

David Drumlin (Tom Skerritt):

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Contact (The Movie)

Dr. Eleanor Arroway (Jodie Foster): ISFj (and I suspect not many will agree, but -- she is obviously very strongly Fi>Fe, and IJ. She could only be INFj or ISFj. INFj is also possible, but she seems more Ni than Ne, more Se than Si. And no obvious PoLR).

Kent (William Fichtner): INFj

Palmer Joss (Matthew McConaughey): INFj (also possibly INTj, but he seems more Delta than Alpha)

SR Hadden (The rich guy in space - John Hurt): ENTp

David Drumlin (Tom Skerritt): ISTj
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Contact (The Movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Dr. Eleanor Arroway (Jodie Foster): ISFj (and I suspect not many will agree, but -- she is obviously very strongly Fi>Fe, and IJ. She could only be INFj or ISFj. INFj is also possible, but she seems more Ni than Ne, more Se than Si. And no obvious PoLR).

Kent (William Fichtner): INFj

Palmer Joss (Matthew McConaughey): INFj (also possibly INTj, but he seems more Delta than Alpha)

SR Hadden (The rich guy in space - John Hurt): ENTp

David Drumlin (Tom Skerritt): ISTj
    I agree with your reasoning for Arroway's functions but I'm still thinking about the type.

Kent I agree

Hadden - definitely ENTp probably T sub
    Drumlin - ok i can see ISTj - certainly Se>Si.

Palmer - definitely an Ne type, and I think that's why it was interesting to see how his style of reasoning contrasted with Arroway's, and how he would bring things up in a way she couldn't always answer completely.

Kent yeah INFj. But now that I think of it maybe Kent and Palmer aren't the same types. I think Palmer may be an INTj (Alphas can be religious too ) and Kent an INFj.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arroway seemed entj joss enfj

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Kent yeah INFj. But now that I think of it maybe Kent and Palmer aren't the same types. I think Palmer may be an INTj (Alphas can be religious too ) and Kent an INFj.

What do you think?
    That is precisely what I thought, I chose INFj over INTj but I would not argue strongly against INTj.

Quote Originally Posted by science as magic
    I considered ENTj, but I think ISFj is closer to it. The true ENTj in the story was her father (although ESTj is also possible). However, I think that Jodie Foster herself may be ENTj, and that would lead to a general impression of ENTj.

For the character, the issue is whether she is a Fi-dominant who also values Te (ISFj) or a Te-dominant who also values Fi (ENTj).

But I also thought she seemed more IJ than EJ.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve

What do you think?
    That is precisely what I thought, I chose INFj over INTj but I would not argue strongly against INTj.

Quote Originally Posted by science as magic
    I considered ENTj, but I think ISFj is closer to it. The true ENTj in the story was her father (although ESTj is also possible). However, I think that Jodie Foster herself may be ENTj, and that would lead to a general impression of ENTj.

For the character, the issue is whether she is a Fi-dominant who also values Te (ISFj) or a Te-dominant who also values Fi (ENTj).

But I also thought she seemed more IJ than EJ.
    You make a good point. I really can see Ellie and her dad as duals, which is probably why her losing him was so tough.

She also seemed to rub ends with Drumlin, and maybe it was just a Ti Fi thing. I'll never forget her Fi line when they first made the discovery and everyone from the government was in the lab including military people and she said "could you please ask the gentlemen with the firearms to wait outside, this is a civilian facility" That seemed to Fi to me.