Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Video game preferences by type

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    Freedom-based games that also aren't so repetitive. When you play like Majora's Mask or Monkey Island 3, you're always finding incredibly new items that have an entirely different use, that you get to wrap your mind around, brand new scenarios and characters to deeply speak with, learn about the world and solve problems. It's like they're reinventing the game every step of the way. Not to mention graphics back in these days were better inspired and creative. Nowadays almost every game looks and plays similar to one another. The adventure genre has been making a slight comeback with awesome installments like Heavy Rain and Life is Strange, and so I've still been able to play and enjoy the more imaginative games out there.

While I like the adventure influences of RPGs, ie. Dark Souls, Dark Cloud, Final Fantasy, and Morrowind, they are too repetitive in the sense mentioned. You aren't getting a lot of game content. But at least with a more repetitive game like Silent Hill 2 HD, you're getting a really cool and freaky atmosphere, so it's worth the experience. I love games that can nail imaginative open atmospheres of intriguing gameplay, which is why I put A Link to the Past and Banjo Tooie as my top 2 favorite games.

The games I most dislike are those without much exploration, ie. The Last of Us, Uncharted, Twilight Princess.

There are also the custom multiplayer games of Warcraft III and Starcraft II I forgot about. Real-time RISK ftw. When I'm looking for a true game game in the stricter sense, these are them. Perhaps the most random fun you can have. I loved the aspect of Custom Footmen games in being able to choose any 3 abilities you want, creating any hero strategy without limitations.
    given the last comment, please look at this

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    Have you played dis?
    nah. But I certainly would.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm a philistine, so I've historically been partial to:

GTA series
    NBA 2k
    Pokemon (faves: 3rd and 4th generation)
    EA Skate
    Super Smash Bros.
    THPS
    Dragon Ball Z Budokai series
    Mortal Kombat
    Gears of War

Titles I plan on getting once I buy a PS4:

GTA V
    The Last of Us Remastered
    Batman: Arkham Knight
    Metal Gear Solid 5
    Mortal Kombat X
    Until Dawn
    Last edited by suedehead; 05-06-2016 at 02:37 AM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldwhiskey View Post
    This seems like as good a place as any to dump this:

Alpha:

Advance Wars, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Borderlands 2, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 2, Crash Bandicoot 3, Demon Gaze, Disgaea (series), Earthbound, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Machinarium, Mario & Luigi RPG (series), Metal Gear Solid (series), Minecraft, Ni No Kuni, Pokemon (series), Portal, Portal 2, Persona 4, Persona 4: Dancing All Night, Persona 4: Arena, Shovel Knight

Beta:

Bloodborne, Chrono Trigger, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Muramasa Rebirth, Oddworld: Abe’s Oddyssy, Persona 3, SMT4, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, Valkyrie Profile, The World Ends With You, Xenogears

Gamma:

Advance Wars: Day of Ruin, Bastion, Bioshock, Breath of Fire IV, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Dead Space, Etrian Odyssey 3, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Metal Gear Solid (series), Shadow of the Colossus, SMT: Nocturne, SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1&2, SMT: Strange Journey, SMT4, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, Transistor, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Xenosaga (series)

Delta:

Breath of Fire IV, Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI, Dragon Quest VII, Dragon Quest VIII, Etrian Odyssey, Etrian Odyssey 2, Etrian Odyssey 4, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Harvest Moon (series), Journey, Mass Effect (series), Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines, Valkyria Chronicles

Probably work in progress.
    Have you played the last of us? My impression is Gamma or Delta.

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    Have you played the last of us? My impression is Gamma or Delta.
    I've seen videos of it but haven't played it. It feels like it's in the Gamma ballpark at least.

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Okay I'm back here again to say this:

Ideally,
    1) any video game that can make me forget about the world for the time being (whether or not my attention can be fully enveloped in the game).
    2) can be shared with friends and make for at least a base for interesting conversation or even competition.

1: Action Adventure Platformers, Western RPGs, Minecraft and related, F-Zero GX, Pokemon.
    2: Super Smash Bros., Mario Party/Pokemon Collosseum/Party games, Guitar Hero, Minecraft and related,
    MMORPGs, Pokemon, SMITE.

wow now I sound like a child. ._.

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While trying to link the type and what they like playing is a noble endeavour, it should be done properly. Genres are simply too expansive these days and to this effect, I'll give you an example:
    Let's say that a person says that he / she / it likes the RPG genre. My immediate question would be: which one? As always, there is infinite diversity in infinite combinations, but let's prune it down to three most relevant-or hell even four:

Does that person enjoy modern open based Western RPGs(The Witcher 3, Skyrim etc)?
    Maybe that person likes more closed Western RPGs(Baldur's Gate, KoTOR etc)?
    Or maybe the Jap.RPGs tickle that person's fancy more(Final Fantasy etc)
    Then there is the possibility that this person wants more action, less words-ARPG subgenre(Diablo, Path of Exile, Sacred, Dungeon Siege etc)
    Perhaps the plain accesability and extraversion of MMORPGs is the answer(WoW, Guild Wars, Everquest, Lord of the Rings: Online etc)?

The point being that we should test how the 90-100% proven exemplars of types react to various changes within not only their genre, but games overall. Would a person who prefers singleplayer story rich environs EVEN PLAY such an FPS(say Metro series or Bioshock series) given that sucha person usually loathes FPSes? Would a strategy player play an RPG if it involved more strategy-kinda like Junction system et al in FF VIII? We should test subject's response to elements, not to the element categories given their awkward unwieldiness.

Find more here: http://quanticfoundry.com/ (Nick Yee's site - as respectable as it gets within this field)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have a Wii U so that limits what games I can play. I really enjoy Bayonetta. She is really spunky and probably SEE. I like Windwaker and I'm excited about the new Zelda games. Played Arkham Origins and Arkham City.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had the patience for RPGs or the strategy required for RTS games (leaving me on the sidelines as all of my friends play league)
    I've always been naturally good at shooter games.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it would be better to group the games together by the communication styles then quadras. Some ideas on general type preferences:

Passionate Types (ExFx) - Fun, goofy, non-serious games. Stuff like Mario cart, The Sims, dance games, anything arcady.

Sincere Types (IxFx): RPGs, heavily story driven games with a large focus on characters. Final Fantasy, Kingdom hearts, Legend of Zelda, etc:

Business Types (ExTx): Expansive, open world games with lots of crafting elements, or ultra-competitive multiplayer games. GTA, Minecraft, MOBAs, etc.

Cold-Blooded Types (IxTx): Dark, atmospheric games with highly refined gameplay mechanics. Dark souls, Dead space, Hitman, Bioshock, etc.
    Last edited by Muddy; 08-04-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    I think it would be better to group the games together by the communication styles then quadras.
    It would be better to use theory of socionics, instead of random delusions of Gulenko.

Cold-Blooded Types (IxTx): Dark, atmospheric games with highly refined gameplay mechanics. Dark souls, Dead space, Hitman, Bioshock, etc.
    The ISTJ I know likes turn-based strategy games like Panzer General.
    While me being ESTJ like Hitman series.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I love story based games like Life is Strange, or maybe it's called 'adventure games', with emotions and some sentimentality involved. But also when it's mixed with some strategy like Fallout, Portal, Half life, Mirrors Edge etc. I like when it's not really something that could happen in real life or something is different than reality now. Beautiful and dream like visuals and music are preferred. These games make me extremely disappointed with reality but i love them.
    My ILE boyfriend likes more action type games. Sports games, Fallout, Payday. His favorite game is Dead Space. Basically manly stuff and/or where you shoot stuff. With an exception of Pokemon Go.
    Last edited by maniac; 08-05-2016 at 06:49 PM.

TIM
    LiL-Tee
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldwhiskey View Post
    This seems like as good a place as any to dump this:

Gamma:

Advance Wars: Day of Ruin, Bastion, Bioshock, Breath of Fire IV, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Dead Space, Etrian Odyssey 3, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Metal Gear Solid (series), Shadow of the Colossus, SMT: Nocturne, SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1&2, SMT: Strange Journey, SMT4, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, Transistor, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Xenosaga (series)

Metal Gear solid is hugely impacted by LIE creator (hideo kojima).
    Dead Space is definitely most ILI-themed game I have so far encountered. I love plot and the way it's made. Also it's heavy impacted by Lem creativity and books ( Solaris, and his sketches made in free time )
    Vagrant story is first game i had on playstation 1 that interested me. Funny enough my LIE uncle gave it to me.
    Devil may cry, half life 1/2, portal 1/2, halo, gears of war, quake, counter strike, dungeon keeper, world of warcraft (because of lore and innovative mechanics)
    I'd also I never was BIG fan of strategies. I surely loved warcraft 3 but shooters are biggest thing to me.
    Last edited by davez; 08-06-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These days I only play Peak and Quizup.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/realization
    I like to feel I'm in a violent dangerous world that I can fight back with superhuman abilities and/or intellect. But not in the heroic sense; no white knights or feeling a sense of control over everything, just antiheroes, people trying to live and do what they think is best, and trying to survive as best they can. It feels normal; like it speaks to my soul; like it's the way I'm supposed to live. Dead Space, Dark Souls, Fear, wolfenstein, Bioshock, Fallout, The Darkness, Doom. A lot of those games are supposed to be scary and chaotic, but I find them comfortable. I can imagine this is Se dual-seeking and I think it's type related; but whatever it is, it feels like it's a part of my soul.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

header.jpg

The best game about a running jumping piece of meat trying to save his band aid wife from their aborted child I've ever played.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    header.jpg

The best game about a running jumping piece of meat trying to save his band aid wife from their aborted child I've ever played.
    Wow games these days just aint what they used to be.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this kid's videogame video :)

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mostly like MMOs because I like to play games with other people and I don't usually have a game console, just my PC (also there tends to be a boatload of character customization on the ones I play). Almost all of the games I play are action or strategy at this point, although I used to play a lot of Roller Coaster Tycoon when I was younger for some reason (now I don't have the discs even if I wanted to play that old game) and I'm not xSxx (but then, I mostly liked the creativity in that game). I liked Minecraft for a while, and I once had some people get me into Dwarf Fortress. I don't really like arcade kinds of things (e.g. Mario, Pac-Man, Tetris) but that's it mostly. Stuff like Mario-Kart can be fun at a party though, I just wouldn't play those things by myself.

Also, @summerprincess, it must be quite annoying to have some Russian dude tell you you can't like games you like because "you don't value ". Even if you've wouldn't've gotten into those games now (which I'm not sure is the case), it's perfectly normal to enjoy something that you used to be really into. At least he's not telling you you can't be moral because you aren't an lead
    Last edited by Pallas; 10-15-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NEO Scavenger

Playing this game has scarred me for life.

I wonder if it's alpha...

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll try to link video game preferences by cognitive style:

C-D: Linear, balanced games with minimal random elements, often 1v1 type games. Games like Mortal Kombat that requiring sheer practice to become good at.

D-A: Games that focus using your own creativity to build complex structures. Civilization, Minecraft, The Sims, etc.

H-P: Hmmm Dunno yet.

V-S: Chaotic, action filled games with a lack of organized cooperation and require quick decisions, like CoD or any large scale multiplayer game.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post

C-D: Linear, balanced games with minimal random elements, often 1v1 type games. Games like Mortal Kombat that requiring sheer practice to become good at.

D-A: Games that focus using your own creativity to build complex structures. Civilization, Minecraft, The Sims, etc.

V-S: Chaotic, action filled games with a lack of organized cooperation and require quick decisions, like CoD or any large scale multiplayer game.
    What style would you see this game as? D-A I'd assume?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking today about when I played Skyrim and how they'd have little markets for human flesh.

Gore behind the cut.

Here's some flattering pictures of the Night Mother

From the wiki:

The Night Mother (also known as the Blood Flower or the Lady Death) is the bride of Sithis, the Dread Father of the Dark Brotherhood. Those who wish to have someone assassinated pray to the Night Mother by performing the Black Sacrament, and she extends their requests to her Listener.

The proper effigy for the Black Sacrament.

As documented in the rare and taboo work "A Kiss, Sweet Mother," the Black Sacrament involves an effigy of the intended victim -- created from actual body parts, including a heart, skeleton and flesh -- within a circle of candles. To proceed with the ritual, one must stab the effigy repeatedly with a dagger rubbed with the petals of a Nightshade plant, while whispering the plea, "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send you child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."

Last edited by may; 02-07-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

Also this:

Quote Originally Posted by Static/dynamic
    Statics depend more on space, Dynamics more on time. Filling space with objects characterizes Static behavior, whereas Dynamics saturate time with events. Statics cannot stand empty space—they immediately fill it with available items on hand. Dynamics cannot stand empty time—boredom, stagnation, prolonged states of the same condition. In a certain sense, Statics can be called people of place, Dynamics people of time.
    http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...gnitive_Styles

I don't think that there's a clear rule, but there's probably a general trend. My impression is that Dynamics often get bored unless there's a lot of action.

My favorite kind of games are usually games that require quick reflexes (Vortex-Dynamic).

2D side-scrolling shooters
    Racing games
    Pinball games
    Fighter games
    Rhythm games
    Some puzzle games

But I also like real-time strategy games, Sim City, The Sims kind of games.

I can't stand turn-based RPG/strategy games, they're so boring but Static types especially C-D types seem to love them.

There's also a gender divide, females tend to like puzzle games more.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good puzzle game for those who care is Meteos. That game got me interested in puzzle games.

I have played a lot of games. I do prefer RTS games, but I'm definitely on the casual side of things.

One game I do like, and find myself coming back to time and time again is Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness.
    It is a good game, but I usually play with mods. I'm sure some people here have played this game. It is not the best, but still one of my favorite games.

I've also been into simutrans, a free game about running a transport company.

And finally, I must add the game dwarf fortress. It has influenced the style of game I like a lot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like strategy games. Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars is up there for me. I also like games that require data collection and then playing it out somehow like Danganronpa or Phoenix Wright.

I really like Phoenix Wright ._.

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also the original Phantasy Star Online (and Blue Burst). ~forever a RAcaseal at heart~

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the Yakuza series too. The side quests were amazing. You had so much freedom like in Grand Theft Auto. There was so much free roaming!

TIM
    ESI 7 9 4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And last post I swear.

FAVORITE RPG

Super Mario RPG for Super Nintendo (the first)

-------

And so I don't make another post...

For my old school nostalgia, RIVER CITY RANSOM~ It is like a brawler action RPG all in one. It is really, really hilarious. Though the passwords are impossible to put in and write down.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI-Ni (INTp)

PixelJunk Monsters PS3 PSP PS Vita, now also Wii U (PC version sucks)
    LEGO games on PS3 PS4 PS Vita, though not every brand that they (TT Games) create.
    Third Person Shooters, very picky about this. I don't like FP at all, though Guerilla Games' Killzone isn't so bad, and I love ShadowFall on PS4.
    inFamous, though I never finished them all, only finish the PS4's Second Son.
    Bejeweled
    Tetris (Gameboy version still the best!)
    Some RPG games. I loved Fire Emblem 3DS. Not jazzed about the most recent FE 3DS game(s) on 3DS
    Earth Defense Force games (PS3, PS Vita)
    Ys Memories of Celceta on PS Vita
    Some Visual Novels, so far I've liked Steins:Gate on PS Vita (and PsychoPass: Mandatory Happiness on PS4 -- I loved this one so much I figured out a horrible xbox guide for the japanese version of this game and made a good walkthrough guide for PSN that has helped a lot of people platinum it so far.)
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI
    My all time favorite game is Journey

I play this game all the time when I study philosophy. I need something active to focus my attention so I can absorb what I am studying and this is cheaper than driving around the mountains.

My other favorite indie games
    The Witness - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ytwNUMdbcE
    Crawl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_3xrqjTyes
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World - https://youtu.be/siryJP8p7xE?t=2m30s
    Undertale - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlARPEwVKvs
    Faster Than Light - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWTy4kiNXeY
    Last edited by Lao Tzunami; 04-16-2018 at 05:42 PM.

TIM
    LSI-Ti
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI and INTJ(MBTI),

I enjoy playing rpg , strategy, sports, and fps games.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a stereotypical NF, I tend to like genres like visual novels where I just get to think about the right way to phrase things. I also like games like The Sims for the same reason, I get to come up with stories with a game as the vehicle. I really enjoyed playing Fallout: New Vegas and constructed a whole storyline for my Courier in my head. The other Fallout games didn't appeal to me as much due to the first two's poor controls and 3/4 being overly focused on combat rather than settlements and choices.

(I think it's interesting that my "skill" with dialog situations tends to be very high unlike my skill in basically anything else video-game related. I don't have a hard time getting my tone right in games like Planescape Torment or Life is Strange, so that's kinda neat!)

If there's much action, I enjoy low stakes. I want to be able to jump back into the fray quickly a la Team Fortress 2. My quick spatial reasoning skills are downright awful and I haven't practiced them much in video games. I'm the person that easy mode is meant for and I like taking whatever small victories I can get.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stellafera View Post
    I'm a stereotypical NF, I tend to like genres like visual novels where I just get to think about the right way to phrase things.
    It's interesting you say that because I really don't like the games I've played with dialogue options because my character rarely says things how I want to say them. I'll want to gently say no and my character will fly off the handle or I'll need to emphasize something really important but my character couldn't care less. Because I feel out of sync with the game, I'll start trying to figure out how the programmer wanted me to react instead the part I would naturally want to play, which breaks the immersion.

Although, I've never played a "visual novel" before, do you recommend any in particular?

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm surprisingly horrible at FPS games it seems like, except for arcade story ones where I can hold the gun.

I don't really like strategy games even though I'm enneagram 825 The Strategist.

My favourite game is Final Fantasy 8, because of the romantic storyline, and also it's just a nostalgic thing for me.

I haven't spent that much time gaming in my life like some people. It was ok when I was younger but nowadays I'd get too frustrated I'm not doing something IRL As a general rule, if I have to do something where I won't gain something tangible back, I won't like it.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vespertine View Post
    yes, likewise... I generally find gaming to be unproductive, in terms of how I might be spending my time. While I don't necessarily look for tangible outcomes, I'd prefer to learn something, at least.
    yeah, reading or film counts towards that kind of thing for me too even if it's not 'tangible'. something that will make me learn or have more perspective or like add to my rl life lol.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sindri View Post
    It's interesting you say that because I really don't like the games I've played with dialogue options because my character rarely says things how I want to say them. I'll want to gently say no and my character will fly off the handle or I'll need to emphasize something really important but my character couldn't care less. Because I feel out of sync with the game, I'll start trying to figure out how the programmer wanted me to react instead the part I would naturally want to play, which breaks the immersion.
    Yeah, that stuff gets annoying. My approach is usually to figure out what tones of dialog are available and then construct my character around that.

Although, I've never played a "visual novel" before, do you recommend any in particular?
    I haven't played a lot overall, but my favorite is a weird one called Hatoful Boyfriend. It's about a girl who goes to an all-pigeon school and... uh... it's a dating sim sorta. Most of the storylines actually end in a deep sort of friendship rather than any romance at all, though. And when you finish the game, you unlock an AMAZING murder-mystery final route.

Speaking of, even though it has no choices, I'd highly recommend Dangan Ronpa. Think Phoenix Wright meets The Hunger Games. Fantastic characters.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast