Thread: Stages of Personality Development

Creepy-bg

Default Stages of Personality Development

(Machine Translated)

Prokofiev

Socionics diagnostics of the stages of personality development

Socionics. Collector of the reports VI of Moscow scientific conference, 2002.

Comparing between two people of the same type, we see how strongly they they can differ from the simple ideal model, which is presented in socionics. This does not mean that the socionics model is not accurate. It correctly defines the information structure of personality, the hierarchy of the information channels of man as a representative of that determined TIM. But are these information channels or functions used differently in living, real people of the same type?. How can this be explained? Let us conduct an analogy.

Those, who have studied physics, know that complex phenomena, for example, in liquids, are examined, being initially based on the model of an ideal fluid. But the next steps, which are connected with the study of impurities or viscosous liquid, assume further complexities of the model.

We can never claim that water which flows from the ground is distilled water, the purest form of H2O. We also cannot accurately claim that a man, who lives and walks on the earth, is a pure representative of a type, and does not have his own unique individual features. Socionics model, as the model of a perfect gas or pure fluids in physics, serves only as the first step of the model, which can then be further elaborated upon to become more complete.

Earlier than the idea they were socionists such, that a question about the specific features of personality we simply transferred to the department of psychology, claiming that our purpose is to determine TIM, and with the specific features of – turn yourselves to the psychologist. But this will hardly aid a real man, who was converted for help into the solution of problems, indeed psychologist, who does not carry out socionics, does not use our knowledge about the type, and socionics, not occupying by psychology, he does not know about the specific features of man. And the break of these knowledge will not bring as a resulting benefit to the client.

But here the connection of these knowledge can give and it already gives the results, which substantially anticipate in effectiveness and depth of analysis the prevailing traditional directions. Therefore I consider that time, without stopping on the knowledge TIM, to study further and to create the new methodologies, which would help us to investigate living, real man, taking into account his socionics type. This approach can be worked out at the interface of the knowledge of socionics and psychology. In this case the strictly assigned by model A information structure of personality serves as original, base structure for the more complete model of the psyche of man, and relying on this structure, we obtain effective instrument for further analysis.

The same type people, although have many general laws governing the nature, have diverse differences. To describe and to structure all these differences is impossible, so in them much, but we can select part of them for the study. In this article me it would be desirable to consider a question about different levels of the development of socionics functions, or, in other words, about the sapacity of information channels in people. In order to somehow measure these capacities, it is necessary to first attempt to determine the structure of information channels. This let us be occupied.

One of the approaches to the bridge erection between psychology and socionics of – this examination as precisely are developed and are filled socionics functions. In the course of this research it was possible even to introduce some refinements in understanding of model this a. for me it seemed by very serious, and I hope, this will make it possible to further move socionics science. Research still are located at the very beginning, although I with this theme deal already e of year. But I consider that are necessary further experiments, observation, the comparison of knowledge. And nevertheless here there is above how to think and there is already, about which to describe.

In the research of the development of personality and respectively the development socionics of functions, I am based on two theories. Theory Ericson's Erica about the stages of the psycho-social development of personality and Yakov's theory Feldman about development levels.

Turning to Ericson's theory makes it possible to compare the quality of the information, processed by each nucleus of model A with those problems of the development of personality, which each of us one way or another solves in the course of the life. The application of knowledge about the functions socionics of model to the solution of these problems helps to find the most effective methods for their solutions, which be suitable not simply humanity as a whole, but precisely to concrete type representative [IM].

But Feldman's theory – about the levels of the complexity of examining the information, quantity and quality of objects in the field of the attention of – gives to us some quantity indicators in processing of the information of each function. Its comparison with the model A shows the level of the complexity of processed information by concrete function.

Investigating development levels according to Ericson's theories 3. even 4. Feldman and comparing these levels with the nuclei of model A, I am alien to the conclusion that each of eight functions works at their level of development. This gives the possibility to already differently understand model a. any phenomenon it is possible to approach from the different levels of the calculation of its complexity: it is possible to consider even simple object as entire world, while it is possible even the complex phenomenon to approach from the simplified positions, the taking into account only limited quantity of its properties.

For the first part of research, which will be reflected in this article, let us look at Yakov's theory Feldman. 4. Feldman did not deal with socionics, on the formation he mathematician-programmer was interested in psychology for himself. He showed at what levels in principle it can be treated information, it is not dependant on that, by man, by computer, by society. Feldman gave the precise structure, which is very well applicable to the psyche of man [1]. Starting point for the comparison of this theory and model A is such: weak functions are treated little information, which can correspond to lower levels according to Feldman's theory. Strong correspond to higher levels.

Let us give the here reduced table from Feldman's article 4.

[table:fd82b967c5]
    [mrow:fd82b967c5]Level[col:fd82b967c5]Field of attention[col:fd82b967c5]Knowledge
    [row:fd82b967c5]01[col:fd82b967c5]One object[col:fd82b967c5]Recognition, the designation
    [row:fd82b967c5]02[col:fd82b967c5]many objects[col:fd82b967c5]Discrimination, the differentiation
    [row:fd82b967c5]03[col:fd82b967c5]One process[col:fd82b967c5]Ordering, the consolidation
    [row:fd82b967c5]04[col:fd82b967c5]many processes[col:fd82b967c5]Grouping, the factorization
    [row:fd82b967c5]05[col:fd82b967c5]One map[col:fd82b967c5]Complete, the classification
    [row:fd82b967c5]06[col:fd82b967c5]many maps[col:fd82b967c5]Doubt, the proof
    [row:fd82b967c5]07[col:fd82b967c5]One space[col:fd82b967c5]Contradiction, the refutation
    [row:fd82b967c5]08[col:fd82b967c5]many spaces[col:fd82b967c5]Agreement, the concepts
    [/table:fd82b967c5]

Creepy-bg

Let us consider this in detail. Let us show, are such the special features of information processing in each nucleus of model a. let us illustrate the work of information channels based on the example to the same function, the logic of actions, which falls in different types into the different nuclei of model a.

1. At the first level of development suggestive function works. Proof to this is given in article [2] The very first level of information processing this is information about one object. One object in the field of attention. Problem is the simplest of the possible. One object we did see, that we can with it do? We can name it. We can believe in the fact that it there is. We can not believe in the fact that it there is. We can learn it. We can not learn it. We can wish to take it to ourselves, we can repel it. And not and what is more. I.e. the simple problem of – rotation with one object.

And the work of suggestive function is such: recognition and name, confidence or the distrust of information. The unjustified trustfulness or distrustfulness relates to that function, whose aspect it treats in accordance with the type of man. If, for example, the man has the suggestive logic of actions (types ESI and EII), then it can treat information about the actions, the motions in essence in the sense of adoption or rejection of methods of operations. Here there is no creativity, there is no production, and there is no even estimation practically. Everything is reduced to the recognition and the confidence.

2. At the second level the sixth function works. Its problem is more complex. What is here important? Problem of rotation with several objects. Most main here – several objects in the field of attention, but not united in one process. What it is possible to do with these objects? It is possible to distinguish them between themselves. It is possible to divide them into the poor and good. It is possible to assume part them, to tear away part. With them it is possible to accomplish the simplest steps in the construction (association, distribution), but even without the statement of global purpose. Because here the level of information processing yet did not reach the level of processes, information is treated only about the separate objects. But purpose is connected with the process of its reaching of – this already more complex problem, the function of higher level will be able to treat it only.

I. the reviewer function has the problem of distinguishing – of the differentiation of objects. Division on its and strangers here appeared. Adoption of its or rejection of strangers. Some taboo here cost. Here there is a concept of its and enemies. Creation of coalitions, “our”, accurate against the inaccurate. I.e. the first steps of ethical consciousness appear at the second level of development. On the first there was no even more ethical consciousness, there was there the magic consciousness: object, once it only one, was casting a spell valid, it was either accepted or they will reject, but without the proof its it or stranger.

How will work function at the second level? It will attempt to divide information. For example, the logic of actions at the second level, as the reviewer function (in types SEE and IEE) will not simply assume those methods of operation, which to it will prompt, but also to choose: these to me match up, while these of – not my, strangers. It will already finish considering some methods, knowing similar. But the purposes of the development of fundamentally new technologies to place it will not begin, as it will not approach the methodical achievement of new efficiency.

3. At the third level one process. I.e. that information, which we accept, at this level is united in one process. Here statement of purposes. Here emulative. Here tendency toward the ideal. This level of information processing is characteristic for the point of the smallest resistance (or place the smallest resistance of – MNS, painful function). Painful point treats information only about one process. For this very reason it painful, that on it there is a tendency toward the ideal. It is difficult to reach this ideal, if we do not take whole map of the freedom of act. If we attempt ourselves to move only along one straight line, we compete on it, on it we can be defeated. Which frequently and is.

What does occur with the logic of actions at the third level? Man becomes as if hostage of the process of achieving the ideal. His actions or are ideal (which is practically inaccessible), or “entirely anywhere they are not suited”, since they are imperfect. Half-tones here evidently. Skills to stop and to be switched to another process of – also. That most unpleasant – there is no skill to positively consider that which is already done, and to see “in the different planes”, how it is applicable.

According to the painful function of men it is implicated in one process and here it other people receives either as rivals or as the patrons: other people it either help or they interfere in this process. Either they lag or they outdistance, because of this here is so important the competition.

In the life we frequently see to this the confirmation: man is not inclined to collaborate on the painful point, it or it emerges from the process: “this not my”, or competes strenuously, without knowing how to be distracted from this, most frequently, unnecessary competition.

4. Fourth level. Here man holds several processes in the field of attention. Holding several processes, to it no longer compulsorily to compete with someone or the aim is ideal. To it is more interesting transmit knowledge, comparing them in several directions. To it is more interesting play some roles, it is more interesting to be able to work and to play in the instruction, to collaborate. And to generally exhibit diligence, because diligence and any work contain several processes. Role function corresponds to level. It knows how to treat information about several processes simultaneously. How this to comprehend? Role function us helps to be socialized, i.e., it will be mastered, to be adapted in the unusual society or in the new situation. This several processes in the field of attention. This function sees people as processes, but it is not simple man as point, object. Objects can be only their and strangers. But here precisely the processes: people in the development, the increase, the motion. Function notes, as men it is inscribed in the society, as it is developed, as it varies, as it accomplishes its work. Here occur comparison of processes, their interaction.

See the dynamics of different people, we and themselves can more easily be adapted in the society. Deliverance from of inferiority complex here goes. When we see several processes even we understand how other people they manage their of inferiority complex, to us to more easily manage their.

How at this level is exhibited the logic of actions? It compares its and strange actions, their see in this case in the process. Not simply – are appropriate or not, they are advantageous or unfavorable, but as to interact with the people in order to obtain benefit as to be realized in the work in order to deserve acknowledgment as to present itself and its work from the most advantageous side.

Further we change to the pair of subconsious functions.

Creepy-bg

5. Fifth level. This is entire plane. I.e. several processes has already been associated into the certain map. On which the man can go freely. The fifth level this is the level of free thinking. The freedom of thinking is exhibited only at the fifth level. It was not at the lower levels of freedom, thinking was limited by the framework of objects either processes, seemingly it was assigned or by objects or processes. Here, at the fifth level appear free thinking, the freedom of action, the freedom of march somewhere, and freedom to undertake independent operations. Teenage tendency toward the freedom and the independence. The release, internal is emancipation.

At the fifth level the seventh function limiting, frame works. Or it is possible to name it the function of the freedom: the freedom of action, internal freedom, by the function of release from the framework, which forge the freedom of personality. Because it is connected with overcoming of the framework, emergence to the freedom. With the help of this function we or exceed the scope, we are freed from them, or vice versa, they are forged by the framework. Then we suffer the confinement of action. All teenage moments converge to this function: the reaction of emancipation, release from the pressure of parents, from the parental inhibits, the moments, when it is necessary to try itself. Tests of the forces: I do already know how freely to act itself, independently, or is still to me necessary guardianship? This is connected with information processing in one plane: is a map, free map, do know how I on it to go? Without the ways, it is free, where to me it is today must. And in this case not precipice, not to be lost and not to be lost. Or not? Here this is connected with the reaction of release. And with the frame, limiting function.

How does work the logic of actions at the fifth level, as the limiting function? Thinking in this the region is sufficiently free, man can rapidly and relatively easy to find the necessary methods of operations, to determine the utility of the matter. Here to it are not required advisers, he itself will comprehend how for it he is worthwhile to be occupied, when to stop, how much costs its work. But if they interfere, they restrict freedom, here will be used this function: “it is useless!”. And indeed they will fall behind, they will cease to press and to limit, to interfere and to force.

For the reflection: most likely word from the song v. Of the [vysotskogo]: “It is not must after me, be chosen by their track” they do relate to the fifth level of – they about the laying out of new they are expensive on the map? On the independence, including in decision making, about the courage not to be as everything.

The omission of this function indicates the problem of internal freedom in man.

6. At the sixth level several maps are considered. I.e. is considered not only their freedom, but also freedom of other people. Psychological thinking here here for the first time appears. In contrast to the ethical consciousness, which was at the second level, here is present modeling strange internal world. If there is my map and my freedom, and simultaneously is a strange map strange freedom, then we consider simultaneously all these freedoms. Thus far at the sixth level we still simulate strange personality as our. And here stands principle “do not make to other of the fact that you do not wish to itself”. Here stand ordering, classification, scientific thinking. Here the concept of rights and responsibilities, the concept of rule-of-law state. Here jurisprudence. Questions of the classification of the creation of typology. By the way speaking, typology Myers- Briggs also is located on this level. Psychology, mathematics, etc of – here.

The eighth, realizing function corresponds to the sixth level. It works without the words in reality. It is connected with the productive activity, adulthood, with the need of the raising of its children, for example, with the moments of responsibility. I.e. here exactly go scientific consciousness, psychological consciousness, concept about the rights and the responsibilities, creation of different classifications. Specifically, by the eighth function the reliability of man is determined. On the conclusion e. Gulenko, which is confirmed well by our practice, if in the man the eighth function in the order, then man is reliable, and with this man it is possible to deal. With it it is possible to enter the family. It is possible to together work with it. On it it is possible to rely in the complex situations. If the eighth function not in the order, but then it occurs, let us recall that the discussion deals with the individual, and not typological characteristics. Not about ideal type structure. So it occurs, when the eighth function in man is not studied, not sufficiently developed channel, insufficiently good man on it works. So here, if the eighth function not in the order, with this man it is better than not to have the matter. And it is better on it not to rely.

The logic of actions at the sixth level, as the realizing function (in ILE and SLE) does very clearly feel, profitably the matter, it does be worthwhile by it to be occupied, are justified labor expenses. It does not be lazy to help other, to give efficient advice, to help the matter. Very sensitively it reacts, if another the matter does not manage, here will substitute arm. It does not claim to the strange benefits, he understands, where whose business territory, does not begin on the strange interests. But also to be occupied the useless matter it will not become.

This function is connected with that necessary complex of knowledge, habits, skills, which permits for man to stably correspond to the requirements of environment, straining either him or itself.

7. Seventh level. However, what is located above the scientific level of information processing? Perhaps there is similar? This must be that is located above the prevailing scientific schools, which continue more or less effectively to investigate to describe and to adapt to the service to people information about the surrounding world. The prevailing structures in many respects work by the inertia, frequently without the research interest, but there there is stable work, without the words in reality (as in the realizing function of – of the previous level).

But at the seventh level is a flight of fancy, the skill to be immersed in the depths of research and the destruction of customary, old standards, become obsolete stereotypes.

Let us compare: the sixth level of – scientific thinking. But seventh – paradoxical. Paradoxes are not only in the science. Other for unexpected conclusions, solutions also relate to the seventh level. Sometimes they to someone seem that not predicted by stupidity.

Higher than scientific is located paradoxical creative thinking. Which always introduces into the science some explosion, break, revolution, etc i.e., if we say that, for example, Descartes and Newton stand for us at the sixth level, then Einstein it is located on the seventh. Uncommon ideas, unusual ideas, paradoxical thinking. By the way speaking, game in [KVN] also is located on the seventh level. The seventh level is this and destructive thinking, because it destroys stereotypes. But the same and creative, creative thinking. Such here are paradoxes. This level sees entire world, allows flight of fancy

At this level we pass into the block EGO. Creative function. According to the creative function we will give paradoxical ideas. We can allow ourselves flight of fancy, and we can be immersed into the depths of research. And to see with the detailed study, something such uncommon, unusual for others. Using creative function, we can permit ourselves to create revolutionary ideas, and they will be adequate and viable.

Here openness to world, the ability to be removed away from the plane of customary ideas.

The creative logic of actions… about it it is necessary to put together songs and poems. These are types OR and SLI. Who still so rapidly will grasp his benefit, where its no one still and he did not expect to obtain? Who will create the uncommon business, such, which and no one into the head will arrive, and indeed operational! Who will devise how to organize the matters in order to a little less stir, and result would exceed all expectations? And all all around will be included so, that their actions will be coordinated and yield maximum benefit.

Creepy-bg

8. And the finally most mysterious eighth level. If at the seventh level entire world appears. The world of personality, i.e. appears the third measurement, flight of fancy and subsidence into the depths of research appears, then at the eighth level appear immediately several worlds. What such several worlds? When we see ourselves as entire world, and simultaneously in this case we receive another man as entire unusual world. The same paradoxical, the same uncommon, the same unusual as its. This is the already thinking of the eighth level. At this level we see our ideas as entire world, and at the same time – and the strange ideas of – also large, enormous world. Are here combined simultaneously several worlds. To measure and to understand another man on their measures at the eighth level already is impossible. To it are necessary other measures, another approach. And base function only have enous capacity of information processing in order to find these different approaches to the different people.

The world of personality, the perception of the surrounding world, are not similar in different people. Let us compare: at the seventh level of – paradoxicality, since different worlds are not combined. On the eighth of – they are combined. The analogy of – Buddhism, which allows simultaneously the presence in man and another faith. The eighth level as " covers” everything else with itself, see and assuming them. This is the level of the absolute acceptance. As Buddhism is accepted into its numbers of representatives of other religions, without making it necessary to reject the previous persuasions.

Each world exists separately, and it is paradoxical for others, because it is unusual, uncommon. The eighth level knows how to assume this strange paradoxicality. Without being irritated: it simply sees further and it is deeper, not only notes unusual, but also are understood the reasons for this. It accepts pillar, with all pro and con, with the advantages and disadvantages, with the nonjoinings, and by vision, as men itself suffers from its nonjoinings.

Thus, base function. According to the base function there was the very good research g. A Shulman from Kiev. He indicated, what to its base function of men goes entire life, but so it does not can reach. In this sense base function is sometimes called even subconsious. But it is not subconsious, we realize the information of function very well. She not known to the end. Thus I about it spoke. It unconditionally known as process, but not known as result. It always goes in front of the man. It always gives more to us than we can about it learn. And base function permits for us to see not only their world, but also strange worlds. It gives so much information, which seems more than man himself, its owner.

For the comparison: if at the sixth level we say that there is one version of standard, as psychology tells us, for example. Until now, of many psychologists it stirs up and irritates thought about the normality of psychological types, they do not understand, from where are taken 16 versions of the standard of – 16 socionics types. But socionics, in my view, the science of the eighth level. It completely quietly receives 16 versions of standard.

On the eighth level is located the true humanism, when we see individual man as not only of the representative of some type or some version of standard, and as the entire world, not similar on others. That filled can be some unusual, there can be paradoxical, there can be ideas unusual for us, it has complete right on them and to its unusualness and unpredictability.

And not in vain in Kiev a. v. Bukalov was named the base function of four-dimensional. Certainly, we live in the three-dimensional space. To speak about the four-dimensional functions is possible only purely mathematically, abstractedly;. But, if we speak about how actually works this function in our three-dimensional space, then see simultaneously several world, it is appeared as quasi-four-dimensional. It higher than three-dimensional, it combines simultaneously many three-dimensional world.

But how does appear the logic of actions, which knows how to see far beyond by the limits of three-dimensional world? Base logic of the actions of – in LIE and LSE. She clearly knows, where the money lie, how it is must to work as to organize and to put right its business. It will learn and will explain with the pleasure, how to make necessary, it will find different approaches in the different conditions and to the different people from a business point of view. By sometimes even councils to be afraid of: see- that it too many – too, of course, from the point of view this simple mortal, not having global and universal thinking in this region.

Can this man “be pierced” in the matters? Only if information channel is insufficiently developed (in view of small experience or low intellect, for example). With the standard conditions and the normal level of the development of personality “the punctures” are possible according to other functions, but this probability is minimum on the base. I.e. failure in the matters in this man can happen, for example, because of the not fixed personal human contacts, but not because of the incorrectly studied technology. Base function knows how to work without the aid of other functions. It and itself well examines information. It works freely, without the stress.

In conclusion let us attempt to total. What here new? This research will make it possible to make more precise working model A and to transfer understanding the mechanism of the work of functions from the empirical into the mathematical. Which could contribute to the scientific acknowledgment of socionics and to the more precise description of models and types.

In the verification of this hypothesis I conducted small research. What the interesting it did show? Several men were interrogated for the beginning, and in all without the exception it was noted, that each function treats precisely information about its quantity and quality of objects.

For example, type LSI, the intuition of possibilities in it will be not simply painful, but it is always connected with one process. It is possible to say that this function carries the nature of tendency, shows, for what strives man. It will not be received thus: the possibility to eat, I took it. There is no possibility, I returned it, as this would be, for example, in the type OF SEI, where the fifth function the intuition of possibilities, is received as game. IN LSI with the intuition of possibilities is always connected the process of tendency toward the ideal. And always a somewhat competing approach.

But here if we take, for example, in LSI white sensation, then here another approach: sensation, i.e. health, sensation, convenience in the people they must be identical for all. In the understanding LSI, certainly. This does not mean that in the understanding BY SEI they can be identical for all. SEI sees many worlds in the region of the sensation of sensations. Its world of the sensations feels well: he indicates that “sensation for me this saint”. In this case it very well feels strange sensations, he speaks, for example: “I see that in another man the eyes became shiny, or the skin reddened. This means that it is not entirely healthy”. Either “I see that he conveniently was not tripled”, or “I feel, which to him blows from the balcony”. “I feel, which to him blows”, speaks SEI, whose white sensation is base function. But here LSI it sees that to people it is necessary to ensure the approximately identical level of comfort. Rest, if they know how, will make they themselves, but on the whole, remaining excess from the point of view LSI.

So as in LSI, the sensation of sensations it is located on ESI. In the process of our of research the girl ESI said that there is the general-purpose means, very good for the treatment in the different extreme situations. This is very characteristic for the sixth level. (I in LSI, and in ESI the sensation of sensations it relates to thinking of the sixth level).

What we do see? Thinking the sixth level of – as if flat. It attempts for all to manufacture identical ground rules. In contrast to thinking of the eighth level, which considers both the its and strange unique and independent world.

For the comparison let us take the sensation of sensations at the first stage of development, there everything is simple. There is smell from the dear dish of – of men it wanted to eat this dish. There is no smell of this dish, it did not want. But if there is the smell of dear or some other dish, which irritates and provokes, and to at this time propose other, then this surprise is caused. One object in the field of attention assumes absence or ignoring of others.

But on the reviewer function as will conduct itself the same sensation of sensations? Many objects here are located, there to man it is pleasant, if they propose variety to it. But processes do not make it necessary to triple independently. Such people have usually many culinary formulas, many books on the cookery and the correct feeding. This is a point set.

But it is here from the point of view LSI, at the second level of development (intuition of time) there will be the set, for example, different plans. Set of different ages. Not in vain LSI sufficiently differentially they relate with respect to the age to the people. In young one ask, in old another, in average age the third. Distribution here occurs. But distribution in LSI occurs on the time. But distribution in other types according to other functions, which fall into the nucleus of the sixth function.

But why to us these refinements? Perhaps we do not know how do work suggestive or reviewer functions? Let us recall how it was created socionics. [Aushra] constructed model, relying on Young texts. In the model are strong functions, the weak, realized, subconsious functions. We can speak on the model, what functions strong, what weak, depending on that, into which model unit fell function. But speaking, that the fifth and the sixth fall into the block of weak subconsious functions, we theoretically on the model cannot say how they between themselves are distinguished.

We can about this speak only on the basis those practical research and the observations, which were carried out [Aushroj] and her students, followers. This material is empirical. But using Feldman's theory, we can purely mathematically make more precise this model. And model is obtained already a little another. Now we to each nucleus of model A compare the quality of information, which she knows how to treat.

[1] Feldman 4. a. the theory of levels. //Socionics. Collector of the reports IV of Moscow scientific conference “the problems of diagnostics of the types of personality in socionics”, M. of – 2001

[2] Prokofeva. Development of personality according to theory 3. of Ericson and on the model a.//of http//:www.socionics.ru/, 1999.

Creepy-bg

I'm going to leave it like this for now. If anyone finds certain parts particularly confusing or hard to decifer let me know and I'll try to clean it up. I've hit a motivation downswing for the moment