Thread: Battlestar Galactica

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Battlestar Galactica

Peter and I just started watching this. We've only seen the mini series and the first 5 episodes so far.

Does anyone else watch this? Any ideas on character types? The one that's extremely obvious is Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace, who is ESTp. Here are some guesses, some more random than others.

Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace: ESTp
    Dr. Gaius Baltar: ENTp
    President Laura Roslin: ENTj?
    Commander William Adama: ESFp? (even though he acts sorta introverted )
    Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama: ISFj? (even though he acts sorta extroverted )
    Colonel Saul Tigh: ISTj?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-bg

it's a great series!

there's already a thread on this though...
    http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...star+galactica

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Te in President Laura Roslin. And evidence of a Si PoLR (keep in mind that I've only seen the first few episodes though, so I don't know yet how that whole cancer thing plays out).
    SEE

Creepy-bg

I'm having to hold my tongue to keep from ruining it...

I think admiral Adama is ESTj though
    pres Roslin INFj

later in the series I think that INFj-ESTj duality dynamics are blatent with these two

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... I see more Te in President Roslin than I do in Commander Adama. And more Fi in Commander Adama than in any of the other characters. I can't really explain it (meaning I'm not totally confident in this) but to me Commander Adama seems like a very mature ethical subtype ESFp. I can't really explain why I see Apollo as an ISFj, either. I'm even less certain of that one. I guess I'll have to wait and see how the plot and characters develop.

What do you think of Starbuck being an ESTp? I seriously cannot see her as anything but that.
    SEE

Creepy-bg

yeah ESTp for starbuck sounds good

none of them are really great representations of type being a tv series and all. with the Adama- Rosallin thing it's mostly in their one on ones that I see the duality. Later on (especially seasons 2 and 3) Rosalin shows alot more obvious Fi than she does in the beginning. And I do think they're both deltas

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oic
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Peter and I just started watching this. We've only seen the mini series and the first 5 episodes so far.

Does anyone else watch this? Any ideas on character types? The one that's extremely obvious is Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace, who is ESTp. Here are some guesses, some more random than others.

Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace: ESTp
    Dr. Gaius Baltar: ENTp
    President Laura Roslin: ENTj?
    Commander William Adama: ESFp? (even though he acts sorta introverted )
    Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama: ISFj? (even though he acts sorta extroverted )
    Colonel Saul Tigh: ISTj?
    When I watched Galactica Starbuck looked like this

Here is Commander Adama and Apollo

The original Galactica was awesome. I'm sort of boycotting the new one because of the girl invasion. I mean Starbuck is a girl now? What a stupid idea...let's make Riker, Worf and Data girls too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starbuck: ESTP
    Gaius: ESTP
    Roslin: INFJ
    Commander Adama: ESTJ
    Apollo: ISTP
    Saul: INTJ

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Females are necessary for procreation.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starbuck is one of the most annoying fictional characters ever.

Top 10 anyways.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now what does this have to do with...like...anything?

Starbuck is one of the most annoying fictional characters ever.
    Top 10 anyways.
    I bet he is now...after they ruined him...her...wuteva.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's just more interesting with both male and female characters
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no they aren't

All I know is that Baltar is the sexiest character on Battlestar Galactica. He seems too removed from reality to be an ESTp. I always get the impression that he doesn't really understand the gravity or seriousness of his situation, that he's somewhat removed from reality. He's also somewhat cowardly and doesn't seem to impose himself on his environment in an aggressive fashion like an ESTp might. He doesn't strike me as a very practical type, and his sexy aloofness just doesn't seem very ESTp either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His appearing removed from reality is not a good type indicator for his situation thus doesn't count. Any S type would look aloof if they had an evil blonde fembot in their head threatening them half the time and seducing them the other half of the time. He was freaked out all the time and had to keep watching his ass, any of us would be more cautious and fearful rather than assertive. And ESTPs are not immune to becoming cowardly. But Gaius does definitely show a strong and most likely, at least to me, dominate Se. Think of how he was back on earth in the pilot episode. I saw him as an ESTP T subtype. Plus I actually see him as being very practical in the sense of an S type, while his blonde ladyfriend guiding him all the time seemed much more N based, which was suppose to be made as an ironic factor in which it also made her seem more human (having faith or whatever) and him more rational.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see ISTp for Starbuck actually, and no not because i want her to be my Dual LOL.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, this entire thread seems to contradict the perceived types which Science as Magic and I picked for the characters in the aforementioned thread. For the ease of reading, the modified conclusions or speculations we reached:

Admiral Adama: ESTj (this type seems a cliche for leaders)
    President Laura Roslin: ESFj
    Colonel Tigh: ISTp or ESTp
    Lee "Apollo" Adama: INTj (definately Alpha)
    Kara "Starbuck" Thrace: ISTp
    Gaius Baltar: ENTp
    Caprica Six: ESFp
    Chief Galen Tyrol: ENFj
    Sharon "Boomer" Valerii: ISFj or INFj
    Lt. Karl "Helo" Agathon: ENFj
    Lt. Felix Gaeta: ISTj
    Anastasia "Dee" Dualla: ISFj
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is Tyrol an ENFj? How is apollo Alpha? how is Roslin ESFj???

I can't see Starbuck as anything except ESTp, and not just because she reminds me so much of herzy.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is Tyrol an ENFj? How is apollo Alpha? how is Roslin ESFj???

I can't see Starbuck as anything except ESTp, and not just because she reminds me so much of herzy.
    Tyrol: He very much acts as the "mentor" for the hangar deck crew. His religious views and practices are very similar to that of other ENFjs (according to Rick's site). Though I am very open to suggestions about his type.

Apollo: Apollo is an intellectual idealist who approaches the habit of over-thinking things at times. He has clashed with society on multiple occassions and walks to the beat of a different drum. He has an almost childlike naiveté as to why society has to be the way they are. And as seen recently in the series, he has a secret agenda of which he has neglected for some unknown reason in the time between the settlment of New Caprica and the cylon occupation.

Roslin: Ask Science as Magic on that one, since I guessed INFj for her as well.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No spoilers!

We're only on season one. So far, I just don't see an EJ temperament for Tyrol, though I do think he's an ethical type. As for Apollo, so far all I can say I've really seen specifically in him is an IJ temperament, but I can't picture him having a Se PoLR or valuing Fe > Fi... but then again, I haven't seen more recent episodes. But Alphas are most certainly not the only ones who have problems just accepting societal norms.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Apollo: Apollo is an intellectual idealist
    many types can be

who approaches the habit of over-thinking things at times.
    omg... IJ, Ne PoLR, Ti Role

He has clashed with society on multiple occassions
    Define "clash"... did he stand up and fight for his ideals or morals? Did he behave in a Reasonable or Resolute manner? Or did he demonstrate a Se PoLR? (Remember, no spoilers)

and walks to the beat of a different drum.
    This is at least as suggestive of Fi as it is Ne. I'd have to witness the context.

He has an almost childlike naiveté as to why society has to be the way they are.
    I haven't seen this "childlike naiveté" in him AT ALL and am having a very hard time picturing it.

Let's not forget that Alpha NTs have duals with Fe. Why do you think they value their partners' Fe?

And as seen recently in the series, he has a secret agenda of which he has neglected for some unknown reason in the time between the settlment of New Caprica and the cylon occupation.
    No spoilers por favor.

Roslin: Ask Science as Magic on that one, since I guessed INFj for her as well.
    I'm willing to accept her as pretty much any Serious type because I'm told her character changes later and I haven't seen this yet, but so far I think she values Ni and Se.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So based upon current evidence or lack thereof, you believe that all we can say about Apollo is that he is IxxJ? I suppose that narrows it down somewhat. It only leaves INTj, ISTj, ISFj, INFj as possibilities. Of which, I do not think that he is either an ISTj or ISFj. To me, the only possibilities seem to be INTj or INFj. Apollo does not seem very ambitious or close to being an ISTj. Apollo wants to find his place to belong in the world. . According to creator Ronald Moore, Apollo was actually a member of the military reserves, since he does not want to be in his father's shadow and wants to forge his own destiny outside of just being military. The primary reason why he is with the military now is just out of sheer necessesity.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not ISFj? Again, I am just not seeing anything resembling a Se PoLR in him, regardless of whether or not he was a full time military employee. I haven't seen evidence of a Ne PoLR either, but from what I've seen he definitely has stronger Se than Ne.

I also don't see ISTj as a possibility.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've got a couple of episodes left in season one and I still see nothing resembling an ESTj in Adama. Helo is a much, much better example of an ESTj.
    SEE

His appearing removed from reality is not a good type indicator for his situation thus doesn't count. Any S type would look aloof if they had an evil blonde fembot in their head threatening them half the time and seducing them the other half of the time. He was freaked out all the time and had to keep watching his ass, any of us would be more cautious and fearful rather than assertive.
    If Baltar's situation is forcing him to be uncharacteristic of his true self and thus means one can't come to the conclusion that he is N based on how he copes with his situation, I don't see how you can reliably come to the conclusion that he must be S under the same environmental influences. I haven't seen the pilot episode, so I can't comment on that.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baltar is a clear ENTp imo. And not because he sees stuff.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see him as an ENTP because he is very Se. And the pilot shows that a lot too as I mentioned earlier. Whatever though...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What traits do you see in him that you attribute to Se? (keep in mind that I haven't seen anything beyond the first season... but I did see the mini-series pilot)
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well for one he's hedonistic, and secondly he brandishes his Se in things like card games. He doesn't show a strong sense of Ni as he doesn't go with his gut, and he is fearful of the unknown (Ne) and his clinging onto the known is readily Si. It is made incredibly obvious by the contrast of characters between the blonde cylon and himself, how she guides him with N, making him trust in Ni which he doesn't naturally trust.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Austy
    Well for one he's hedonistic, and secondly he brandishes his Se in things like card games. He doesn't show a strong sense of Ni as he doesn't go with his gut, and he is fearful of the unknown (Ne) and his clinging onto the known is readily Si. It is made incredibly obvious by the contrast of characters between the blonde cylon and himself, how she guides him with N, making him trust in Ni which he doesn't naturally trust.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

ESTps are SeTi
    ENTps are NeTi

I agree with the others who said that the blonde is ESFp, so that makes her SeFi.

ENTps have a Se role, so even if he did show it once in a while, especially in a competitive situation, it wouldn't imply that he is Se dominant.

He does go with his gut quite a bit. When people ask him questions that he doesn't want to answer (because he doesn't want everyone to know that he allowed the cylons access to classified information and even let them write algorithms and whatnot), instead of stating things as they are or getting aggressive, he pulls stuff out of his ass. The way he is able to make up so much technical sounding bullshit on the spot is indicative of NeTi.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And take a look at the Oldham descriptors of the ENTp.

* approval
    * attention
    * perfection

* always being at one's best
    * identity
    * status
    * prestige
    * success
    * triumph
    * greatness
    * genius
    * stardom
    * fame
    * glory

* wealth
    * inventiveness
    * cleverness
    * innovativeness
    * imagination
    * intellectualism

* romanticism
    * stylishness
    * independence
    * being one-up

* trust
    * autonomy
    * initiative
    * industry
    * intimacy
    * generativity
    * high hopes
    * high expectations

Dislikes:
    * obscurity
    * anonymity
    * failure
    * role confusion
    * anybody getting ahead of you

* poverty
    * being thought inferior
    * being low in the pecking order

* being one-down
    * dependence
    * imperfection
    * poor performance
    * negative reactions from others
    * critical judgments of others
    * evaluation by others
    * disapproval
    * being inadequate
    * being deficient

* poor health
    * mistrust
    * shame and doubt
    * guilt
    * inferiority
    * isolation

* stagnation
    * low hopes
    * low expectations
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know... I'm not really convinced that all of those oldham types correspond too well... but that oldham discription certainly does describe Baltar quite well.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading that likes/dislikes thing I think just made me lose all faith and respect for typology...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't worry... the likes/dislikes thing has absolutely nothing to do with socionics
    SEE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I nearly posted my own thread on this a month ago, but decided not to because it's my favorite show and I knew it would drive me up a wall to see other people's incorrect interpretations of my favorite characters' types.

Sooooooo now that the jar is open, here is MrCumbles' official breakdown of the BSG cast:

Laura Roslin: INFJ
    Bill Adama: INTJ
    Saul Tigh: ISTJ
    Gaius Baltar: INTJ
    Lee Adama: INTJ (though the character often doesn't act like it, because he's kind of a pansy, Jaime Bamber is definitely an INTJ)
    Starbuck: ENTJ
    Sharon/Boomer: ESTJ
    Helo: ESFP
    Dualla: ESFP
    Billy: INFJ
    Chief Tyrol: INTJ
    Gaeta: INTJ
    Tom Zarek: ESTP
    Ellen Tigh: ESTP
    Commander Cain: ENTJ
    All of the Cylon models except Lucy Lawless: ENTP (this makes sense when you consider the Cylons' role in the story)
    Lucy Lawless: I don't know, really don't care or like her character

It's no coincidence there's so many INTJ characters, because the Sci-fi genre has long been characterized heavily by INTJ writers and fans. We're huge nerds, and damn proud of it.
    Mr. Crumbles
    INTJ

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starbuck: ENTJ

that's officially the most offensive post I've seen since sara posted a painting of a girl getting molested by her mother
    SEE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's officially the most offensive post I've seen since sara posted a painting of a girl getting molested by her mother
    Sounds like something Kara Thrace might say :wink:

How would you type her differently? I mean she's a bossy, in-your-face, out-of-the-box strategic thinker. Seems ENTJ to me.
    Mr. Crumbles
    INTJ

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she's the most ESTp fictional television character I've ever seen
    SEE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast