Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: ISTp-ENFp conversation and Asking/Taciturn Reinin trait

  1. #1
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ISTp-ENFp conversation and Asking/Taciturn Reinin trait

    OK here's a conversation my husband and I had last night. Introductory info - he bought a new welder recently.

    Husband sits down. "My new welder isn't working right." (Implied but not stated question is 'what's wrong with my welder?')

    I ask, "what isn't it doing?"

    He says something like "It doesn't make enough of an arc." Or something. I know nothing about welders. Something about an arc.

    I ask, "What would cause it to not do that? Not enough power? Didn't you say something about this welder being 'dual-power' or something?"

    *silence* He goes into the garage. I hear welding sounds.

    He comes in looking content and sits down. "It doesn't work as well on 110. It works better on 220."

    OK so he doesn't ask a single actual question - although he has implied questions. And I sit and ask question after question. How does this fit with him being taciturn and me being a narrator? I just don't get it. I think I do fit "narrator" generally but not so much with him.

    Also, why does he ask for my help about stuff like welders and carburators? He has an NeTi friend who actually knows how to weld.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  2. #2
    Smilingeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,228
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: ISTps - Taciturn

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    OK here's a conversation my husband and I had last night. Introductory info - he bought a new welder recently.

    Husband sits down. "My new welder isn't working right." (Implied but not stated question is 'what's wrong with my welder?')

    I ask, "what isn't it doing?"

    He says something like "It doesn't make enough of an arc." Or something. I know nothing about welders. Something about an arc.

    I ask, "What would cause it to not do that? Not enough power? Didn't you say something about this welder being 'dual-power' or something?"

    *silence* He goes into the garage. I hear welding sounds.

    He comes in looking content and sits down. "It doesn't work as well on 110. It works better on 220."

    OK so he doesn't ask a single actual question - although he has implied questions. And I sit and ask question after question. How does this fit with him being taciturn and me being a narrator? I just don't get it. I think I do fit "narrator" generally but not so much with him.

    Also, why does he ask for my help about stuff like welders and carburators? He has an NeTi friend who actually knows how to weld.
    That's exactly how taciturn people operate. But he's not asking you for help, he's just stating facts. It's you who provides the meaning, the narrative, of what do those facts mean. Taciturn = statement of concrete external issues and wondering their meaning. Narrator = providing a concrete internalized frame of reference and pondering the abstract external facts about how it all applies, how to make the story work.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: ISTps - Taciturn

    ---
    INTp
    sx/sp

  4. #4
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: ISTps - Taciturn

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    OK here's a conversation my husband and I had last night. Introductory info - he bought a new welder recently.

    Husband sits down. "My new welder isn't working right." (Implied but not stated question is 'what's wrong with my welder?')

    I ask, "what isn't it doing?"

    He says something like "It doesn't make enough of an arc." Or something. I know nothing about welders. Something about an arc.

    I ask, "What would cause it to not do that? Not enough power? Didn't you say something about this welder being 'dual-power' or something?"

    *silence* He goes into the garage. I hear welding sounds.

    He comes in looking content and sits down. "It doesn't work as well on 110. It works better on 220."

    OK so he doesn't ask a single actual question - although he has implied questions. And I sit and ask question after question. How does this fit with him being taciturn and me being a narrator? I just don't get it. I think I do fit "narrator" generally but not so much with him.

    Also, why does he ask for my help about stuff like welders and carburators? He has an NeTi friend who actually knows how to weld.
    That's exactly how taciturn people operate. But he's not asking you for help, he's just stating facts. It's you who provides the meaning, the narrative, of what do those facts mean. Taciturn = statement of concrete external issues and wondering their meaning. Narrator = providing a concrete internalized frame of reference and pondering the abstract external facts about how it all applies, how to make the story work.
    Thank you!! You rock <3
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: ISTps - Taciturn

    Quote Originally Posted by Mea

    Oooo... This whole illustration just made it clearer for me as to how taciturn and narratives think.
    all I could think of when I saw this reply was the need for a lightbulb going on over your head.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: ISTps - Taciturn

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes

    That's exactly how taciturn people operate. But he's not asking you for help, he's just stating facts. It's you who provides the meaning, the narrative, of what do those facts mean. Taciturn = statement of concrete external issues and wondering their meaning. Narrator = providing a concrete internalized frame of reference and pondering the abstract external facts about how it all applies, how to make the story work.
    why aren't all dichotomic descriptions that concise and comprehensible?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: ISTps - Taciturn

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes

    That's exactly how taciturn people operate. But he's not asking you for help, he's just stating facts. It's you who provides the meaning, the narrative, of what do those facts mean. Taciturn = statement of concrete external issues and wondering their meaning. Narrator = providing a concrete internalized frame of reference and pondering the abstract external facts about how it all applies, how to make the story work.
    why aren't all dichotomic descriptions that concise and comprehensible?
    cuz they all weren't written by an ESTJ...lol

  8. #8
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: ISTps - Taciturn

    Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes

    That's exactly how taciturn people operate. But he's not asking you for help, he's just stating facts. It's you who provides the meaning, the narrative, of what do those facts mean. Taciturn = statement of concrete external issues and wondering their meaning. Narrator = providing a concrete internalized frame of reference and pondering the abstract external facts about how it all applies, how to make the story work.
    why aren't all dichotomic descriptions that concise and comprehensible?
    cuz they all weren't written by an ESTJ...lol
    <3
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  9. #9
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I also perfer this story over the christmas story no one can understand. Do you know live in the U.S, because it seems to me that he switched it from 110v to 220v which could damage it if you used it like that in the U.S. Michigan I see, did not pay any attention.

  11. #11
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some of my husband's equipment requires 220, so our garage is wired for both. The welder is made to work on either 110 or 220, but apparently it works better on 220.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  12. #12
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My dad is an ISTp, and he's often in the same sitution as your husband. It always comes down to one factor: He doesn't read the goddamn instructions! And it's always his very last resort.
    asd

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •