1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: John Steinbeck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default John Steinbeck

I don't know if anyone has done this. I really enjoy reading his work.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Steinbeck

My best guess is Beta.

Last edited by silke; 01-23-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: updated links
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Beta, estp?
    INFP

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enfj
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with FDG, ENFj.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stefana
    Welcome home to Beta, heath

joking
    I like Beta. Their quadra paragraph in Gulenko's quadra description was inspiring.
    asd

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

beta extrovert? any new opinions?

i've been a fan of his books and i was looking for quotes for my sig and when i came across this page of quotes and reading them i decided that i sort of love this guy.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's odd, the people I know who seem to be really into him are Deltas. And tbh, his work kinda bores me.

Not sure I'm seeing the Fe in that Nobel Prize speech.

LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand by EIE, I met an EIE-Ni volunteer in Haiti who was a near clone, minus 15 years or so from these pics. He has the eyes like Dali and Paul Walker.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

East of Eden was incredible, I grew quite attached to the characters and carried the book everywhere with me while travelling through Europe. I've read a few of his other books but they didn't do much for me.

Also random aside, Steinbeck and I are from the same town in California.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read anything about his books so I can't really say anything definite, but that list of quotes kassie linked sure sounds Fi + Ne to me. Maybe Fi-ENFp from photos, but again, nothing definite (my first instinct in that regard was some beta extrovert anyways). Seeing all the love from other deltas for him seems to indicate something type-wise lol.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm for δ-NF.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Galen, polikujm: You guys should watch that speech; his railing against ivory-tower intellectualism and talk of the "responsibility" of authors to society definitely speaks against valuing.

EIE sounds good to me.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    @Galen, polikujm: You guys should watch that speech; his railing against ivory-tower intellectualism and talk of the "responsibility" of authors to society definitely speaks against valuing.

EIE sounds good to me.
    I'm not sure of Steinbeck's type at all, so this is not meant as a challenge to your typing per se. But I am curious ... could you say more explicitly why being against the ivory tower and speaking of authors' responsibility to society are contra Ne?

Because I work in publishing, I would say that those particular values are very common among authors of all kinds and among publishing professionals, except, to some extent, those who inhabit the world of academic publishing. And even university-press editors and authors seem to care very much about authorial responsibility to society in general, and quite a few of them attempt to make academic books less ivory towerish and more accessible and relevant. Even if the ultimate driving force behind reaching outside a strictly academic audience is economic (bigger readership = bigger sales), I have gotten the sense that the values run somewhat deeper.

And a second question: do you see Steinbeck showing Fe-leading in that video clip? (I do not.)
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I'm not sure of Steinbeck's type at all, so this is not meant as a challenge to your typing per se. But I am curious ... could you say more explicitly why being against the ivory tower and speaking of authors' responsibility to society are contra Ne?
    Here is a clear example of / values: "I am impelled, not to speak like a grateful and apologetic mouse , but to roar like a lion out of pride in my profession () and in the great and good men who have practiced it through the ages (). "

and another one:

"We have usurped many of the powers we once ascribed to God. Fearful and unprepared, we have assumed lordship over the life and death of the whole world of all living things. The danger and the glory and the choice rest finally in man. The test of his perfectibility is at hand. " some

A very common view amongst valuing types is that people should try to make an impact on the world in some way by making effort and doing something that is relevant to 'reality' (e.g. politics, activism, involvement in organizations that have real influence in some domain). Usually there is some kind of perceived danger or threat that must be dealt with (here the comes in), such as an 'evil' political force or a dangerous new technology like the dynamite that Steinbeck mentions. You can also see this happening in the whole climate change debate - climatology crossed over from the realm of / into the realm of / when people realized that climate change might present a real and serious threat to mankind.

The flipside of this is the point of view, where you are working on something because you find it personally interesting, but the thing itself may have only a long-term impact on anyone (e.g. some kind of primary research in the sciences). Of course, this doesn't mean valuers don't want to have an impact on society, but usually their own interests take precedence, and the here-and-now part is related to instead of - that is, ensuring that the more routine aspects of society are taken care of, rather than striving for some Big Goal.

Perhaps you could say most types would rather have an impact on the way people see things.

I should note that Betas are more likely than Gammas to see things in a Good vs. Evil kind of way. Gammas' idea of impact usually involves making a contribution to society rather than defending an ideology.

Because I work in publishing, I would say that those particular values are very common among authors of all kinds and among publishing professionals, except, to some extent, those who inhabit the world of academic publishing. And even university-press editors and authors seem to care very much about authorial responsibility to society in general, and quite a few of them attempt to make academic books less ivory towerish and more accessible and relevant.
    ok, making stuff accessible to a general audience is a different issue entirely - probably related to in a sense.

Even if the ultimate driving force behind reaching outside a strictly academic audience is economic (bigger readership = bigger sales), I have gotten the sense that the values run somewhat deeper.
    Obviously people care about what they write about, but for different reasons.

And a second question: do you see Steinbeck showing Fe-leading in that video clip? (I do not.)
    Mainly I see Beta values; I would consider Beta ST as well.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iur-15.jpeg

Wow he was handsome in his time.

East of Eden is fantastic and its passages once spoke to me.

iu-24.jpeg

I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one. . . . Humans are caught—in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too—in a net of good and evil. . . . There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well—or ill?
    Men do change, and change comes like a little wind that ruffles the curtains at dawn, and it comes like the stealthy perfume of wildflowers hidden in the grass.
    We are lonesome animals. We spend all our life trying to be less lonesome. One of our ancient methods is to tell a story begging the listener to say — and to feel — "Yes, that’s the way it is, or at least that’s the way I feel it. You’re not as alone as you thought."
    It would be absurd if we did not understand both angels and devils, since we invented them.
    It takes great courage to back truth unacceptable to our times. There's a punishment for it, and it's usually crucifixion.
    Man, unlike anything organic or inorganic in the universe, grows beyond his work, walks up the stairs of his concepts, emerges ahead of his accomplishments
    My dreams are the problems of the day stepped up to absurdity, a little like men dancing, wearing the horns and masks of animals.
    Oh, we can populate the dark with horrors, even we who think ourselves informed and sure, believing nothing we cannot measure or weigh. I know beyond all doubt that the dark things crowding in on me either did not exist or were not dangerous to me, and still I was afraid.
    I wonder how many people I've looked at all my life and never seen
    Certain events such as love, or a national calamity, or May, bring pressure to bear on the individual, and if the pressure is strong enough, something in the form of verse is bound to be squeezed out.
    Cathy's lies were never innocent. Their purpose was to escape punishment, or work, or responsibility, and they were used for profit. Most liars are tripped up either because they forget what they have told or because the lie is suddenly faced with an incontrovertible truth. But Cathy did not forget her lies, and she developed the most effective method of lying. She stayed close enough to the truth so that one could never be sure. She knew two other methods also -- either to interlard her lies with truth or to tell a truth as though it were a lie. If one is accused of a lie and it turns out to be the truth, there is a backlog that will last a long time and protect a number of untruths.
    Intriguing---> Nov. 5, 1959
    If I wanted to destroy a nation, I would give it too much and I would have it on its knees, miserable, greedy and sick.
    When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked.... In other words, I don’t improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable.
    Sometimes a kind of glory lights up the mind of a man. It happens to nearly everyone. You can feel it growing or preparing like a fuse burning toward dynamite. It is a feeling in the stomach, a delight of the nerves, of the forearms. The skin tastes the air, and every deep-drawn breath is sweet. Its beginning has the pleasure of a great stretching yawn; it flashes in the brain and the whole world glows outside your eyes. A man may have lived all his life in the gray, and the land and trees of him dark and somber. The events, even the important ones, may have trooped by faceless and pale. And then — the glory — so that a cricket song sweetens the ears, the smell of the earth rises chanting to his nose, and dappling light under a tree blesses his eyes. Then a man pours outward, a torrent of him, and yet he is not diminished.
    People like you to be something, preferably what they are.
    All war is a symptom of man's failure as a thinking animal.
    Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen.
    Taking away a lot of Ni from this-->"etches his image in the race mind' sounds like a way Ni can be awareness of some common collective ether. High level time intuition at any rate. Poetical, lyrical form suggests ethics.
    After the bare requisites to living and reproducing, man wants most to leave some record of himself, a proof, perhaps, that he has really existed. He leaves his proof on wood, on stone or on the lives of other people. This deep desire exists in everyone, from the boy who writes dirty words in a public toilet to the Buddha who etches his image in the race mind. Life is so unreal. I think that we seriously doubt that we exist and go about trying to prove that we do.
    Even while I protest the assembly-line production of our food, our songs, our language, and eventually our souls, I know that it was a rare home that baked good bread in the old days. Mother’s cooking was with rare exceptions poor, that good unpasteurized milk touched only by flies and bits of manure crawled with bacteria, the healthy old-time life was riddled with aches, sudden death from unknown causes, and that sweet local speech I mourn was the child of illiteracy and ignorance. It is the nature of a man as he grows older, a small bridge in time, to protest against change, particularly change for the better.
    Play of opposites-->
    What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.
    Just ethics in general.
    It’s a hard thing to leave any deeply routine life, even if you hate it.
    No one knows how greatness comes to a man. It may lie in his blackness, sleeping, or it may lance into him like those driven fiery particles from outer space. These things, however, are known about greatness: need gives it life and puts it in action; it never comes without pain; it leaves a man changed, chastened, and exalted at the same time--he can never return to simplicity.
    Writing this decades before it became a meme--->
    Prayer never brought in no side-meat. Takes a shoat to bring in pork.
    This goes somewhat antithetical to Si attitude towards sex and pleasure, perhaps crossing off a delta typing..?
    What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.
    Excellent stuff, to realize the outer is actually the reflection of the inner.
    This monster of a land, this mightiest of nations, this spawn of the future, turns out to be the macrocosm of microcosm me.
    When two people meet, each one is changed by the other so you got two new people. Maybe that means — hell, it's complicated.
    Feels.
    When a child first catches adults out -- when it first walks into his grave little head that adults do not always have divine intelligence, that their judgments are not always wise, their thinking true, their sentences just -- his world falls into panic desolation. The gods are fallen and all safety gone. And there is one sure thing about the fall of gods: they do not fall a little; they crash and shatter or sink deeply into green muck. It is a tedious job to build them up again; they never quite shine. And the child's world is never quite whole again. It is an aching kind of growing.
    I wonder why progress looks so much like destruction.
    Somewhere in the world there is a defeat for everyone. Some are destroyed by defeat, and some made small and mean by victory. Greatness lives in one who triumphs equally over defeat and victory.
    yes.
    Monsters are variations from the accepted normal to a greater or a less degree. As a child may be born without an arm, so one may be born without kindness or the potential of conscience.
    New York is an ugly city, a dirty city. Its climate is a scandal, its politics are used to frighten children, its traffic is madness, its competition is murderous. But there is one thing about it -- once you have lived in New York and it has become your home, no place else is good enough.
    Underneath the topmost layers of frailty, men want to be good and want to be loved. Indeed most of their vices are attempted shortcuts to love.
    Just as relevant now.
    All colors and blends of Americans have somewhat the same tendencies. It's a breed — selected out by accident. And so we're overbrave and overfearful — we're kind and cruel as children. We're overfriendly and at the same time frightened of strangers. We boast and are impressed. We're oversentimental and realistic. We are mundane and materialistic — and do you know of any other nation that acts for ideals? We eat too much. We have no taste, no sense of proportion. We throw our energy about like waste. In the old lands they say of us that we go from barbarism to decadence without an intervening culture.
    Last edited by wacey; 01-23-2018 at 05:46 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Steinbeck - ENFP - Huxley

john-steinbeck-1902-1968-american-everett.jpg

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looks too dark to be anything other than Beta, but I can't rule out Delta NF because they can be kind of dark and write some pretty dark things as well. Some IEE-Fi can look pretty dark, and JK Rowling's work was pretty dark (some EII-Fi can appear pretty dark and can glorify violence), but I don't see him as anything other than Beta really.

In Of Mice and Men, George was definitely an SLE-Ti and Lenny seemed like some Si ego, probably Delta ST; that book was loaded with STs. I had an EIE high school teacher who really liked the character George. She was pretty cool.

I can see where some EIE-Ni women wouldn't like John Steinbeck's work. I can't rule out Steinbeck being IEE-Fi or EII-Fi though.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.