Thread: John Steinbeck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default John Steinbeck

I don't know if anyone has done this. I really enjoy reading his work.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Steinbeck

My best guess is Beta.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Beta, estp?
    INFP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enfj
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with FDG, ENFj.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stefana
    Welcome home to Beta, heath

joking
    I like Beta. Their quadra paragraph in Gulenko's quadra description was inspiring.
    asd

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

beta extrovert? any new opinions?

i've been a fan of his books and i was looking for quotes for my sig and when i came across this page of quotes and reading them i decided that i sort of love this guy.

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's odd, the people I know who seem to be really into him are Deltas. And tbh, his work kinda bores me.

Not sure I'm seeing the Fe in that Nobel Prize speech.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand by EIE, I met an EIE-Ni volunteer in Haiti who was a near clone, minus 15 years or so from these pics. He has the eyes like Dali and Paul Walker.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

East of Eden was incredible, I grew quite attached to the characters and carried the book everywhere with me while travelling through Europe. I've read a few of his other books but they didn't do much for me.

Also random aside, Steinbeck and I are from the same town in California.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read anything about his books so I can't really say anything definite, but that list of quotes kassie linked sure sounds Fi + Ne to me. Maybe Fi-ENFp from photos, but again, nothing definite (my first instinct in that regard was some beta extrovert anyways). Seeing all the love from other deltas for him seems to indicate something type-wise lol.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm for δ-NF.

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Galen, polikujm: You guys should watch that speech; his railing against ivory-tower intellectualism and talk of the "responsibility" of authors to society definitely speaks against valuing.

EIE sounds good to me.

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    @Galen, polikujm: You guys should watch that speech; his railing against ivory-tower intellectualism and talk of the "responsibility" of authors to society definitely speaks against valuing.

EIE sounds good to me.
    I'm not sure of Steinbeck's type at all, so this is not meant as a challenge to your typing per se. But I am curious ... could you say more explicitly why being against the ivory tower and speaking of authors' responsibility to society are contra Ne?

Because I work in publishing, I would say that those particular values are very common among authors of all kinds and among publishing professionals, except, to some extent, those who inhabit the world of academic publishing. And even university-press editors and authors seem to care very much about authorial responsibility to society in general, and quite a few of them attempt to make academic books less ivory towerish and more accessible and relevant. Even if the ultimate driving force behind reaching outside a strictly academic audience is economic (bigger readership = bigger sales), I have gotten the sense that the values run somewhat deeper.

And a second question: do you see Steinbeck showing Fe-leading in that video clip? (I do not.)

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I'm not sure of Steinbeck's type at all, so this is not meant as a challenge to your typing per se. But I am curious ... could you say more explicitly why being against the ivory tower and speaking of authors' responsibility to society are contra Ne?
    Here is a clear example of / values: "I am impelled, not to speak like a grateful and apologetic mouse , but to roar like a lion out of pride in my profession () and in the great and good men who have practiced it through the ages (). "

and another one:

"We have usurped many of the powers we once ascribed to God. Fearful and unprepared, we have assumed lordship over the life and death of the whole world of all living things. The danger and the glory and the choice rest finally in man. The test of his perfectibility is at hand. " some

A very common view amongst valuing types is that people should try to make an impact on the world in some way by making effort and doing something that is relevant to 'reality' (e.g. politics, activism, involvement in organizations that have real influence in some domain). Usually there is some kind of perceived danger or threat that must be dealt with (here the comes in), such as an 'evil' political force or a dangerous new technology like the dynamite that Steinbeck mentions. You can also see this happening in the whole climate change debate - climatology crossed over from the realm of / into the realm of / when people realized that climate change might present a real and serious threat to mankind.

The flipside of this is the point of view, where you are working on something because you find it personally interesting, but the thing itself may have only a long-term impact on anyone (e.g. some kind of primary research in the sciences). Of course, this doesn't mean valuers don't want to have an impact on society, but usually their own interests take precedence, and the here-and-now part is related to instead of - that is, ensuring that the more routine aspects of society are taken care of, rather than striving for some Big Goal.

Perhaps you could say most types would rather have an impact on the way people see things.

I should note that Betas are more likely than Gammas to see things in a Good vs. Evil kind of way. Gammas' idea of impact usually involves making a contribution to society rather than defending an ideology.

Because I work in publishing, I would say that those particular values are very common among authors of all kinds and among publishing professionals, except, to some extent, those who inhabit the world of academic publishing. And even university-press editors and authors seem to care very much about authorial responsibility to society in general, and quite a few of them attempt to make academic books less ivory towerish and more accessible and relevant.
    ok, making stuff accessible to a general audience is a different issue entirely - probably related to in a sense.

Even if the ultimate driving force behind reaching outside a strictly academic audience is economic (bigger readership = bigger sales), I have gotten the sense that the values run somewhat deeper.
    Obviously people care about what they write about, but for different reasons.

And a second question: do you see Steinbeck showing Fe-leading in that video clip? (I do not.)
    Mainly I see Beta values; I would consider Beta ST as well.