View Poll Results: what type is Edgar Allan Poe?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

0 0%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

2 100.00%
  • EIE (ENFj)

0 0%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Edgar Allan Poe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Edgar Allan Poe

I couldn't find any discussion about him so heres some food for thought
    In high school I really took to some of his work and the themes in his life seem comparable to that of Yeltsin (the Russian 'celebrity' INFp). His love life was hopeless, he appeared torn from reality, his interests were so widespread that he could never follow a single course to success, he became dependent on alcohol and died relatively young and miserable.... seems like an unhealthy intuitive type INFp... I especially was drawn to how the editor of this "Complete works of Edgar Allan Poe" book described him...

(1809-1849)
    "He was a man of codes: whether the chivalric structures regarding properly gallant behaviour in relationships between men and women or the kind of cryptograph he loved to invent and solve.
    "He was himself a man encoded, programmed from the start to a life of deprivation and bearing a genetic imprint that doomed him likewise to a course of perverse self-destruction, so that, at least in the eyes of his contemporaries, deprivation spelled depravity as well.
    "[His work gained much more recognition in France rather than in America... his "Chaplinesque" appearance reminds] us that he was for all his tragedy something of a fool, a man who fell in love with child-women and was prone to sentimental postures ending in a prat-fall. He liked a flower in his button-hole.
    "Poet, philosopher, painter, musician, he is the self-cast type of all romantic genius, with the satanic egotism of Byron and the encyclopedic lore of Coleridge.
    "It is this created consciousness which marks Poe as particularly alien to the American experience, for his frantic, surely obsessive cosmopolitanism is anthithetical to the rampant nationalism of his day"

A Dream within a Dream
    by Edgar Allen Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
    And, in parting from you now,
    Thus much let me avow-
    You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet, if Hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it, therefore, the less gone?
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
    Of a surf-tormented shore,
    And I hold within my hand
    Grains of golden sand-
    How few! yet how they creep
    Through my fingers to the deep,
    While I weep- while I weep!
    O God! can I not grasp
    Them with a tighter clasp?
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

anyways does anyone else here like his work and what would you type him? The only reasonable options I could muster were ENFp or INFp though I lean towards the latter

Last edited by silke; 08-05-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added video
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russians typed him as ENFj, although INFp seems more plausible to me.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xNFJ

I believe this on the basis of having read some of his literary criticism... He cuts to the core with tremendous incisiveness.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Edgar Allan Poe

I've always wondered what type Edgar Allan Poe was, but I lack the excellent typing skill you guys have.

I was thinking since he was a very withdrawn man and his stories/poems carried a lot of emotion, maybe he was a I-FP, but what do I know?
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni-IEI.

I love his stories too.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

INFp makes sense I guess. I enjoy his work, but who doesn't?

Poetry is dead though. Nobody really cares. To be famous you have to be really really good at it. It's just like being an actor or celebrity.

I don't like to just wallow in my feelings... my fantasies, yes. My feelings? Not so much. I like to DO things about my feelings. But I could daydream for ages.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought he was INFp.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves
    INFp makes sense I guess. I enjoy his work, but who doesn't?

Poetry is dead though. Nobody really cares. To be famous you have to be really really good at it. It's just like being an actor or celebrity.
    Point. I'd also say originality and innovation is extremely sparce. Note that when a film comes out, if it's caked in originality, it normally has a lot of merit. Imagine if Toy Story was released now. It would be good, but I think not the classic it is deemed. You could've released A Bug's Life as the first major CGI film, and it would've been a classic.

I don't like to just wallow in my feelings... my fantasies, yes. My feelings? Not so much. I like to DO things about my feelings. But I could daydream for ages.
    See, this very rarely occurs for me. I enjoy perhaps a ten second-long world of dreams and fantasies. But I very rarely use this function for anything else, and I'm not particularly good at it I don't think (I could be wrong though, so don't hold me to it).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that he was INFp too. I've noticed there's speculation from some that he was actually ENFj, however, I've never read anything that's even remotely convinced me of that. Goethe, for example, was a great ENFj writer. ENFj writers tend to be better at getting famous before they die, lol.
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Edgar Allan Poe

What type is this famous poet and writer?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI probably.
    D-SEI 9w1

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI probably
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On which arguments is this based?

Just curious...

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^he's probably a noob.
    D-SEI 9w1

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI probably
    Based on parroting what others say, or based on your own type investigations? In case of the latter, it would be interesting to hear at least on argument for your belief in IEI.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... here are a few things that stick out to me:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Physics and cosmology

Eureka: A Prose Poem, an essay written in 1848, included a cosmological theory that presaged the big bang theory by 80 years, as well as the first plausible solution to Olbers' paradox. Poe eschewed the scientific method in Eureka and instead wrote from pure intuition. For this reason, he considered it a work of art, not science, but insisted that it was still true and considered it to be his career masterpiece. Even so, Eureka is full of scientific errors. In particular, Poe's suggestions opposed Newtonian principles regarding the density and rotation of planets.
    Literary influence

During his lifetime, Poe was mostly recognized as a literary critic. Fellow critic James Russell Lowell called him "the most discriminating, philosophical, and fearless critic upon imaginative works who has written in America", though he questioned if he occasionally used prussic acid instead of ink.
    Cryptography

Poe had a keen interest in the field of cryptography. He had placed a notice of his abilities in the Philadelphia paper Alexander's Weekly (Express) Messenger, inviting submissions of ciphers, which he proceeded to solve. In July 1841, Poe had published an essay called "A Few Words on Secret Writing" in Graham's Magazine. Realizing the public interest in the topic, he wrote "The Gold-Bug" incorporating ciphers as part of the story. Poe's success in cryptography relied not so much on his knowledge of that field (his method was limited to the simple substitution cryptogram), as on his knowledge of the magazine and newspaper culture. His keen analytical abilities, which were so evident in his detective stories, allowed him to see that the general public was largely ignorant of the methods by which a simple substitution cryptogram can be solved, and he used this to his advantage. The sensation Poe created with his cryptography stunt played a major role in popularizing cryptograms in newspapers and magazines.
    Genres

Poe's best known fiction works are Gothic, a genre he followed to appease the public taste.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose this quotation from a letter in which he "apologizes for his absence and slothfulness" is the perfect evidence for Poe being almost a caricature of Ni-dominant. What's interesting to me is that it also articulates how Ni could conflict with Te:

"I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass… You speak of 'an estimate of my life' — and, from what I have already said, you will see that I have none to give. I have been too deeply conscious of the mutability and evanescence of temporal things, to give any continuous effort to anything — to be consistent in anything. My life has been whim — impulse — passion — a longing for solitude — a scorn of all things present, in an earnest desire for the future."

From a silly Upworthy article.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenbane View Post
    I suppose this quotation from a letter in which he "apologizes for his absence and slothfulness" is the perfect evidence for Poe being almost a caricature of Ni-dominant. What's interesting to me is that it also articulates how Ni could conflict with Te:

"I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass… You speak of 'an estimate of my life' — and, from what I have already said, you will see that I have none to give. I have been too deeply conscious of the mutability and evanescence of temporal things, to give any continuous effort to anything — to be consistent in anything. My life has been whim — impulse — passion — a longing for solitude — a scorn of all things present, in an earnest desire for the future."

From a silly Upworthy article.
    Poe died in 1849, just before economic progress started making real gains, in terms of individual well-being.

http://www.bradford-delong.com/2016/...l-toolkit.html

Real material economic progress may have slowed recently, but it just goes to show, not every Ni-thinker can accurately predict the future. Almost everyone is actually pretty bad at it.

As for Ni conflicting with Te, it doesn't when Te is leading and Ni is creative. However, when Ni is leading and Te is PoLR, then you see the kind of thinking that Poe displays above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iei