View Poll Results: In your local area do u think the ratio of attractive males to attractive females is...

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • more attractive females than males

0 0%
  • more attractive males than females

0 0%
  • attractive males to females is about the same

0 0%
  • 79 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Attractiveness

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Local Attractiveness

Last edited by fever; 03-19-2009 at 11:52 PM.
    chilling out (and getting chilly) in the penalty box.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Local Attractiveness

Quote Originally Posted by fever
    i'm a heterosexual female, and i've noticed that there seems to be a disproportionate number of more attractive females than males in my local area.

btw... i live in the central/southern part of the US.
    For some reason the girls tend to be better looking off in the central southern parts in general. Girls where I am staying tend to all be average to super slutty. For some reason most girls seem to only fit into one of those categories [could be because I live around a University campus and have a good idea of what goes on in the area].

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a strange poll

I love boobs

women are more attentive to their appearance than males

I therefore vote the 3rd option
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every male is going to vote option 1) because:

1)Every male thinks he's more attractive than all the other males
    2)Most males are eterosexual (I think, at least ) and therfore prone to underestimating the attractivness of same-sex people
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of the above.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a college town and the college has more women than men, therefore the town has more attractive young women than men in general it seems like.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-bg

where I live and work people are mostly plastic. Lots of surgery here. Heck, my floral designer at work bought her 18 year old daughter a boob job as a graduation present. There's alot of that sort of thing in Scottsdale. The rest of phoenix is more normal though I guess. Although there's alot of tweaker types... Badly kept anorexic girls. That could just be what I see though since those are the circles I tend to run in. I couldn't tell you about the meatmarket clubs and bars since I stay away from them.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I live in a college town and the college has more women than men, therefore the town has more attractive young women than men in general it seems like.
    pss. she said the ratio :wink:
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I guess I haven't really thought about it that much. There are a lot of attractive young women here, but then there are a lot of attractive young men. That's what happens when you have a college in town. I haven't done any surveys and I don't particularly care what the ratio is.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty girls and ugly guys could almost be Estonia's trademark. I'm not kidding. People even write articles about it. It also seems to be a rather general joke around here. (lol, from what I hear, it's vice versa in Finland.)
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    where I live and work people are mostly plastic. Lots of surgery here. Heck, my floral designer at work bought her 18 year old daughter a boob job as a graduation present.
    Nothing says "I love you just the way you are" more than making your kid undergo invasive surgery in order to look good. Stupid cow.[/Fi]

My home town has a University too, lots of programmers and engineers. Geek (and dork) central. They're very authentic and friendly, and it's nice and quiet at night because they're all indoors tweaking their wireless LANs.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    where I live and work people are mostly plastic. Lots of surgery here. Heck, my floral designer at work bought her 18 year old daughter a boob job as a graduation present.
    Nothing says "I love you just the way you are" more than making your kid undergo invasive surgery in order to look good. Stupid cow.[/Fi]
    Especially since the girl was freakin hot before that (forgive the creepiness of a 33 year old calling a 18 year old frekin hot) anyways now she's all disproportioned. IMO she's kinda gross now, they went way to big. Anyways she likes them, and Mom raves about them... sick fucks

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    Pretty girls and ugly guys could almost be Estonia's trademark. I'm not kidding. People even write articles about it. It also seems to be a rather general joke around here. (lol, from what I hear, it's vice versa in Finland.)
    So therefore there would be a fair amount of good looking INFp guys in Finland!!!1 Right!!11/?!??!?!?!

I'm learning how to speak Finnish.
    and I'm moving to Estonia :wink:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in Russia and eastern European countries like Slovakia etc it is the same. The women are gorgeous but the guys are pretty plain. I think the culture there does it. Men are not pressured to look good but women are. I have been in Estonia couple of times and I can say Estonian women are very pretty.

However I'm not sure if it is vice versa in Finland. I think Finnish people are average looking. Of course some people like the Scandinavian looks in general but imho Finnish people are not too much into aesthetics and looking good. Except perhaps those living in big cities. But if you want to find lots of really good looking guys go to Sweden. Swedish guys are all gay, carry handbags and wear makeup though so heterosexual women are out of luck with them. But they are pretty.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well XoX it sounds to me like on Aristocratic vs. Democratic you swing toward Aristocratic. LOL
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very polite of you.
    I have heard contrary opinions too...
    One interesting possibility is that the high esteem for blonde women may not be just a result of current western cultural dominance dictating the world wide beauty standards, but can actually also reflect our past evolutionary history: humans in Northern Europe may have been under sexual selection for female beauty.

European hair and eye color

A case of frequency-dependent sexual selection?

Peter Frost

c/o Dr. D.I. Perrett, School of Psychology, University of St. Andrews, St. Mary's College, South St., St. Andrews, Fife, KY165JP, UK

Received 14 June 2004; accepted 7 July 2005. Available online 26 September 2005.

Abstract
    Human hair and eye color is unusually diverse in northern and eastern Europe. The many alleles involved (at least seven for hair color) and their independent origin over a short span of evolutionary time indicate some kind of selection. Sexual selection is particularly indicated because it is known to favor color traits and color polymorphisms. In addition, hair and eye color is most diverse in what used to be, when first peopled by hunter-gatherers, a unique ecozone of low-latitude continental tundra. This type of environment skews the operational sex ratio (OSR) of hunter-gatherers toward a male shortage in two ways: (1) men have to hunt highly mobile and spatially concentrated herbivores over longer distances, with no alternate food sources in case of failure, the result being more deaths among young men; (2) women have fewer opportunities for food gathering and thus require more male provisioning, the result being less polygyny. These two factors combine to leave more women than men unmated at any one time. Such an OSR imbalance would have increased the pressures of sexual selection on early European women, one possible outcome being an unusual complex of color traits: hair- and eye-color diversity and, possibly, extreme skin depigmentation.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where I live and work people are mostly plastic. Lots of surgery here. Heck, my floral designer at work bought her 18 year old daughter a boob job as a graduation present. There's alot of that sort of thing in Scottsdale. The rest of phoenix is more normal though I guess. Although there's alot of tweaker types... Badly kept anorexic girls. That could just be what I see though since those are the circles I tend to run in. I couldn't tell you about the meatmarket clubs and bars since I stay away from them.
    hahahaha, no shit...I lived in Chandler, AZ for 4 years before moving to Oregon, i know EXACTLY what you mean about Scottsdale. Chandler was like the cheaper version of scottsdale though... It was kinda funny at Intel down there, all the guys work for nice cars, and all the women work for Boobs.

As for the club and bar scene there...I couldn't imagine a place where people are any more fake than in scottsdale. Pretty much everyone is in "real estate" or they just got rich off their parents. The sad part, is when the people that can't even afford to buy a drink in any of those bars go there and still think that just because someone is buying them drinks they're better than everyone else just because they are in "scottsdale"...lol I grew very sick of that place when i used to go down there a lot, I ended up hanging out on Mill Ave most of my weekends there. College kids were more fun anyway...lol

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live on a college campus, and while the ratio between attractive males and females is about the same, what's more interesting is the ratio between attractive people and unattractive people. Just walking around campus are you hard-pressed to find any unattractive people. You'd swear you're on a teen drama walking around campus.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    hahahaha, no shit...I lived in Chandler, AZ for 4 years before moving to Oregon, i know EXACTLY what you mean about Scottsdale. Chandler was like the cheaper version of scottsdale though... It was kinda funny at Intel down there, all the guys work for nice cars, and all the women work for Boobs.

As for the club and bar scene there...I couldn't imagine a place where people are any more fake than in scottsdale. Pretty much everyone is in "real estate" or they just got rich off their parents. The sad part, is when the people that can't even afford to buy a drink in any of those bars go there and still think that just because someone is buying them drinks they're better than everyone else just because they are in "scottsdale"...lol I grew very sick of that place when i used to go down there a lot, I ended up hanging out on Mill Ave most of my weekends there. College kids were more fun anyway...lol
    you'll think I'm sick probably but my favorite part of town is Sunnyslope.... the white ghetto lol. it's full of burnt out white people, lots of junkie types and stuff. pawn shops and 7-11s and check cashing places. all the good ghetto industries. I've always felt very safe there. I don't think I could actually live there though.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    I live on a college campus, and while the ratio between attractive males and females is about the same, what's more interesting is the ratio between attractive people and unattractive people. Just walking around campus are you hard-pressed to find any unattractive people. You'd swear you're on a teen drama walking around campus.
    Same. I don't understand it. I have my theories, though... and yes, it does involve faux-leather, bottled water, and double-stick tape.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Same. I don't understand it. I have my theories, though... and yes, it does involve faux-leather, bottled water, and double-stick tape.
    Lol... I live in a university city with about 100'000 people, so it's almost like campus. I would say that the opposite applies - Tartu is known for second-hand stores and "original" styles. You can see people walking down the street with 20 years-old handbags and someone comments, "wow, I wonder where she found that! I love it! Can't find cool things in regular stores!". It's a dream come true for an PoLR. Even if you wear a bad combination, people think you're just trying out a new style.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    Well XoX it sounds to me like on Aristocratic vs. Democratic you swing toward Aristocratic. LOL
    Nah. I would have to be serious about that in order to be aristocratic But well good reminder in the sense that I already forgot about the dichotomies. And I just have to be democratic now that I'm INTp

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Florida, blonde chicks, so I put the first one...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Every male is going to vote option 1) because:

1)Every male thinks he's more attractive than all the other males
    2)Most males are eterosexual (I think, at least ) and therfore prone to underestimating the attractivness of same-sex people
    You have a point.

I honestly have difficulty judging males' attractiveness for women. For instance, I never understood how so many women can find Leo diCaprio attractive, when IMO he looks like a 13-year old lesbian, as Camille Paglia once said.

But anyway -- in my present "local" area, I have to say that there are probably as many attractive as unattractive people of both genders.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the town in Northern Europe where I live the woman is often more attractive than the man in a couple. In a town 300 km from here that I know well it's the opposite. So I would go easy on the generalisations.
    INFj

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in north america i'm hypothesizing that women way more often take the cake...

i think this is simply explained by the fact that the vast majority of men in North America are "fashionably challenged" and take some kind of weird masculine working-class-type pride in it... if you look at areas in europe where its fashionable for men to be fashionable you'll notice the difference surely....
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brazil has the hottest women Ive ever seen anywhere! England has the homliest, if you dont count the foreigners. Sorry luvs.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall
    Pure bred British people all look very similar in my opinion; you can always tell them apart from the others. I think it must be from all the interbreeding over thousands of years (being an island and all).
    Do they not teach British history anymore?
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little. The Brits haven't been isolated for thousands of years. The last few hundred years they have, but modern Brits actually have the blood of a pretty diverse group of people in them: Angles and Saxons (where the term "Anglo-Saxon" comes from), Frisians, Jutes who actually came to the British Isles from Germanic regions around the time of Ancient Rome. Celtic and Gallic people also migrated there and contributed to the culture and language. In addition to all this migrating in to the island, there was actually already an indigenous population living there.

I only remember all this because some punkass British exchange kid at my school called Americans a "mongrel" society... what a loser.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I went back to America I noticed how sloppy the guy's styles looked in comparison to the European ones.
    Yeah. American people tend to dress really poorly most of the time. I think taht is because they are so focused on 'working', etc. Well also, we're so fat, that people just don't care, I think.

There are some obvious exceptions, but... we're a fatass nation.

There's a pretty wide selection in my school. Most people don't really give a damn about what they wear. I wear black khakis almost every day, and a decent shirt, and I'm one of the best dressed. It really isn't even a matter of effort, it's just choice.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahaha... the sad thing is I actually did learn about that stuff a few years ago... It totally crossed my mind when writing the post.

Still, I cant help but wonder what genetic phenomenon explains those characteristic British features? I’m still putting my money on interbreeding.
    I think inbreeding was left mostly to the aristocracy and royals, at least early on. I know it was a big problem for the Hapsburgs though they weren't English.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually believe that men are in general better looking than females, though it isn't so visible because women cover over their natural appearance with makeup. It only makes sense to me, considering females are suppose to pick which male they'll accept, while the males have the challenge of interesting the female.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii

i think this is simply explained by the fact that the vast majority of men in North America are "fashionably challenged" and take some kind of weird masculine working-class-type pride in it... if you look at areas in europe where its fashionable for men to be fashionable you'll notice the difference surely....
    True, on my most recent trip to Europe I was surprised by this.

In England everyone looked very stylish, they also had the most amazing haircuts...
    In France I thought the guys looked stylish, but the girls looked mostly plain.
    Germany... cant really remember.
    Switzerland kind of had their own thing going on...

When I went back to America I noticed how sloppy the guy's styles looked in comparison to the European ones.
    I think part of the issue is that Europeans aren't used to the cheap clothing we get in the U.S. thanks to foreign workhouses. Here, people tend to buy clothing made cheaply through foreign labor (usually South American or Asian), and wear it for a short time before throwing it out and restocking. Almost none of our clothing is American-manufactured. I can't find anything in my closet that wasn't made somewhere else.

European clothing, for the most part, has remained a home-run industry based in Europe, and as a result costs more. Some of the larger companies (Levi's, Ralph Lauren, Adidas, Nike, etc.) are changing that, but people surprisingly don't eat those brands up the way they do here. When I followed a few of my European friends as they shopped, I was surprised how much attention they paid to the durability, the cut, etc. And all of this without any regard to brand or labels. These are things that most Americans don't usually consider when buying clothing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    Brazil has the hottest women Ive ever seen anywhere! England has the homliest, if you dont count the foreigners. Sorry luvs.
    hahahaha, i've heard brazilian women have great bods but ugly faces.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by misutii

True, on my most recent trip to Europe I was surprised by this.

In England everyone looked very stylish, they also had the most amazing haircuts...
    In France I thought the guys looked stylish, but the girls looked mostly plain.
    Germany... cant really remember.
    Switzerland kind of had their own thing going on...

I think part of the issue is that Europeans aren't used to the cheap clothing we get in the U.S. thanks to foreign workhouses. Here, people tend to buy clothing made cheaply through foreign labor (usually South American or Asian), and wear it for a short time before throwing it out and restocking. Almost none of our clothing is American-manufactured. I can't find anything in my closet that wasn't made somewhere else.

European clothing, for the most part, has remained a home-run industry based in Europe, and as a result costs more. Some of the larger companies (Levi's, Ralph Lauren, Adidas, Nike, etc.) are changing that, but people surprisingly don't eat those brands up the way they do here. When I followed a few of my European friends as they shopped, I was surprised how much attention they paid to the durability, the cut, etc. And all of this without any regard to brand or labels. These are things that most Americans don't usually consider when buying clothing.
    huh, i'm starting to see things that way myself. i'm tired of the cheese-eater clothing in the u.s. it falls apart in 6 months, and oops you're back at target again signing up for more. consignment shop here i come - pay less for higher quality. last week i got a cool green suede car coat for $20; had to have been $60 last season. plus the $9 liz bag, sweet, and i'm good ta go.

now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thrift rules! i used to go in the past, i did enjoy that stuff when i was in my twenties. not enough time now to sort thru everything. but consignment is pretty good - designer clothes (read well made and last) at target prices. can't beat that!

ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze8
    thrift rules! i used to go in the past, i did enjoy that stuff when i was in my twenties. not enough time now to sort thru everything. but consignment is pretty good - designer clothes (read well made and last) at target prices. can't beat that!
    I love thrift, but its important to look for quality no matter where you shop. Knowing yourself is just as important. Ive seen a lot of rich people walking around with expensive clothes that look like crap. Its more important to develope taste and style than to have a lot of money.
    Oh and I beg to differ, those Brazilan girls are good looking from top to bottom :wink: .

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast