Thread: Giorgio Moroder

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Giorgio Moroder

I couldn't find any existing threads on Giorgio, the godfather of EDM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_Moroder

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ESE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was suspecting Alpha extrovert as well. Any particular reason you think ESE or is it just a general vibe typing?

I hate to beat this stereotype about Fe leads to death, but his music does generally have an upbeat and positive character to it that might suggest a fixation on creating positive emotional atmospheres. Taken in the context of the period when he first started gaining recognition--the 70s, when pessimism grew and the buzz of the 60s was wearing off--it seems natural he would move into disco, one of the most upbeat, "happy" genres ever created. He also mentions loving DJ'ing in front of a large crowd, feeding on their energy and likening them to a sea or ocean. There's also his penchant for "novelties" (think synths, which in the 70s were still considered to be a passing trend that wouldn't last in popular music by some music traditionalists) which might suggest 6th position Ne. Simultaneously he's drawn to replicating sounds of the past, for instance his talk of creating sounds of the 50s, 60s and 70s and merging them with what he considered futuristic sounds.

I'd have initially typed him an introvert but watching a few interviews shattered that impression.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giorgio Moroder - ENFP - Huxley ?

Mustache - 60% of the time, it works every time

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like his music but the man had some of the worst album cover art of all time.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

He could be a Te type because he did mention being ashamed
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

resolute introvert? aka ili iei lsi esi .... not sure which one among those...

sli also possible
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhhhh Midnight Express The Chase was pure genius.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vesstheastralsilky View Post
    Yeah, he wasn't the first but he definietly molded that early 'techno' sound into an obvious forerunner of later styles.

It might sound a little dated now but that track sounds years ahead of 1978 to me. I can hear the influence of it in stuff like New Order's Blue Monday or even later groups like Underworld

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zooorooooooogeeeer

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Weird View Post
    Yeah, he wasn't the first but he definietly molded that early 'techno' sound into an obvious forerunner of later styles.

It might sound a little dated now but that track sounds years ahead of 1978 to me. I can hear the influence of it in stuff like New Order's Blue Monday or even later groups like Underworld
    Underworld is my fav. Then Bjork and Enya. I danced like crazy to the Midnight Express soundtrack when I was like 4 & 5 years old. That is when I fell in love with electronic music. Erik Satie as a composer was hugely influential on later electronic composers. Plaid and Boards of Canada and Loscil (Submers, First Narrows) and Polmo Polpo (The Science of Breath) are also excellent artists. I listened to New Order in high school a lot. It is surprising they are not still played much. Such music seems like hidden gems from the masses ... well, at least until a few new experimental sounds eventually get watered down and go mainstream into pop as a hybrid, as often occurs.
    ~* astralsilky

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Chase from Midnight Express has some basic elements I'd label as trance style.

Yes, but personally I think the compositions of Hans Zimmer are more elaborate.
    Different style of music, of course. Zimmer doesn't produce EDM tracks.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    The Chase from Midnight Express has some basic elements I'd label as trance style.

Yes, but personally I think the compositions of Hans Zimmer are more elaborate.
    Different style of music, of course. Zimmer doesn't produce EDM tracks.
    Zimmer doesn't do it for me. Give me The Chase or Cars by Gary Numan or Aquarius by Boards of Canada any day.
    ~* astralsilky

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about following track?

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    What about following track?

Compositionally it is ok enough - after having explored much new age music long ago I'd give it about a B- compositionally, but I would prefer different instrumentation/timbres.

Check this out - it reminded me of this as a nice follow-up: https://youtu.be/v1FFTmTSGsU
    ~* astralsilky

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zimmer doesn't do it for me. Give me The Chase or Cars by Gary Numan or Aquarius by Boards of Canada any day.
    Music Has The Right To Children and The Pleasure Principle are among my favorite all time albums--the former is great for contemplation and meditation and the latter a great album to be played at top volume when driving down a freeway at night with city lights illuminating the horizon. As far as early synthpop goes, OMD and Depeche Mode are also some of my favorites. And New Order, who I mentioned in an earlier post. Thieves Like Us is one of the greatest songs of the 80s and Blue Monday sounds like the logical next step from Disco and New Wave music, effortlessly fusing multiple styles into a pulsating masterpiece.

I do enjoy Zimmer's earlier scores like Black Rain and Rainman, but his later style is too generic and "same-y" for me. It seems like everything he does is either nondescript mood pieces lacking in strong melodies and themes (not that there's anything wrong with ambient mood music, it's just that his doesn't really do much for me), or swelling buildups to "BAAAAAAMMM" crescendos. Most of his later scores just sound like adaptations or rip-offs of his earlier scores too. There's been youtube videos doing side-by-side comparisons of Batman Begins and Black Rain, and they sound nearly identical in some spots, although that's always a danger that film composers will repeat themselves when writing multiple film scores per year (he's certainly not the only one to be accused of self-plagiarism)

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my favorite music piece as a kid was this: