Thread: How did Socionics help you with discovering your cognition/ways of thinking?

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Default How did Socionics help you with discovering your cognition/ways of thinking?

In a way that other theories, in psychology etc didn't. What did you discover for yourself, examples?

(EDIT: I'll post examples for myself soon)

TIM
    Polichinelle's.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having been raised by a (bat-shit crazy) conflictor, I grew up hating myself, now I know it's mostly differing values, because conflictor is no longer bat-shit crazy but it's still shitty, like average-to-good conflictor IR.
    Not really discover, I sort of knew somehow, it was more about self-acceptation and putting limits. Now I just like reading the stuff people write around here, makes me think stuff, it's great.
    MBTI confused me, and enneagram was too self-centered. I needed to position myself in regards to others through some "tangible" system I guess, like something out there that encompassed and classified humans coldly, without giving a fuck about their feelings and sensitivities.

I'm a fruit
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It helped me understand, depending on the situation, why some people like detailed and long discussions or explanations (Ti-valuers) and why others (Te-valuers) tend to be bored by it.

The longest, detailed and most heated (Fe) discussion that I've witnessed was between an LSI and ESE. Both competent and both of them wanted to make sure that everything was understood before they got to work on something.
    It also explains why some LSEs just can't sit still and listen when they want to get something done and already know how they want to do it.

To Stand As The Oak Luminous Lynx's Avatar
    TIM
    H-EIE-Ni2
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Constructive Case For The Value Of Socionics

Excellent idea for a thread! Should be a lightning rod for constructive input. I'm less interested in providing a 'personal' account and more invested in trying to provide a convincing basis for the theory's value.

That said, at the risk of rambling myself into knots, I'll (try to) be concise:

- Identification of the Ego block assists in providing clear form and instance of ones strengths.
    - Identification of the Super-Ego block assists in providing clear form and instance to ones weaknesses and anxieties.
    - Identification of the Super Id block assists in providing clear form and instance of one's subconscious desired, complimentary elements, pointing one to what makes one attain a sense of wholeness.
    - Identification of the Id block assists in clarifying the other side of the coin of one's strengths, that one otherwise does not consciously recognize the use and value of.
    - Identification of the Program/Base function assists in providing form and instance for the basic phenomenology/worldview through which one generally operates and lives through.
    - Identification of the Creative function assists in providing clear form and instance of how that basic phenomenology/worldview is made manifest in the world, the 'output' of one's Program IE.
    - Identification of the Hidden Agenda clarifies the projected strength lurking beneath the conscious surface that one likes to accentuate, but that others can identify as rudimentary in nature.
    - Identification of the Suggestive function essentially speaks for itself, and clearly helps us identify what we are most suggestible to, as well as something we should perhaps be careful not to be manipulated by.
    - Identification of the Point of Least Resistance function clarifies our must vulnerable, underdeveloped, and avoided IE.
    - Identification of the Quadra assists in clarifying where and why one may naturally find resonant comradery in others.
    - Identification of the Dyad assists in revealing the inverted expression of Your essential nature, that which constitutes You, with an inversion of strengths, providing a clear direction and instance for balance.
    - Given that the world does not literally contain merely 16 varieties of people, Socionics subsystems, eg: IE Subtypes, DCNH subtypes, Bukalov's Signage, Cognitive Forms, etc, help further differentiate ourselves as distinguished individuals even within our type.
    - Intertype Relations can help us contextualize and generally make sense of the nature, strengths, and shortcomings of interpersonal dynamics of our relationships, past, present, and future.
    - Understanding of individual differences provides a sense of our own individual humanity, and that of others, enabling further understanding, comradery, and diplomatic relations between otherwise frictional relations, overcoming misunderstandings.
    - Understanding of Intertype Relations may potentially save friendships and even families and marriages, potentially improving each of these domains, both providing us a northern star of what to seek, and enriching our ability to cultivate lasting bonds.

Understanding and above all consideration of all of the above provides us with both a personal compass that may guide us in our relations, self discovery, as well as enable observational ability to identify patterns innate to human behaviour. 'Typing' others can be a fuckin' tenuous gamble, but when all the pieces fall into place, few things are more satisfying. This recognition aids us in innumerable ways, expediting interpersonal understanding, which itself can optimize both comprehension and relations. You can more effectively get in Your own head, and better understand the nature of others. Be it Duality, Activity, Intra-Quadra or otherwise, It may just help You find the love of Your life

If the above cannot convince You of the (at the very least potential) value of Socionics, I'm not sure what more could be said to such a skeptic. I'm eager to hear additions.

Last edited by Luminous Lynx; 02-13-2019 at 09:04 AM.

"We live in an age in which there is no heroic death."

Model A: EIE-Ni2
    -
    Model G: EI

Quadra Values: Beta
    Dyad:
    /
    DCNH: Harmonizing
    Enneagram: 6w7, 2w1, 8w9
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/So

TIM
    LSI 6w5 sp
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For me it's acted as a good template in understanding the key distinguishable behaviors and outlooks of different people. While I don't think socionics is flawless, it is in my view the cleanest typology system out their along with enneagram and very good for getting your foot in the door in regards to understanding others and yourself.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this question a little strange. Socionics helped me discover my type, with all that comes with that.

But I think the most enlightening thing was that it made me see that my type of consciousness (Si) is not abnormal or a flaw, it is directly comparable with more "useful" strengths that other people have, like thinking, and needs to be put to use.
    Last edited by Tallmo; 02-15-2019 at 02:52 PM.

TIM
    Probably Alpha
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In general, I thought I was "wrong" or abnormal prior to discovering Jungian typological systems. Learning that others share my cognition styles was very helpful. It's also helped me to be more self-analytical in my efforts to improve myself and to improve my communication skills. It's helped me try to understand how other individuals think.

Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

About my thinking I've known nothing so interesting.

The significant discover by Socionics related to my weak region. Socionics gave one of important factors to explain the emotions which I have to different people.

It was fascinating. A random hypothesis, which has no prove and respectable status appeared to be correct and very useful. It took some monthes of trying to use the theory on practice to notice it's correct indeed. In that times I had an interest to psychology in general and near, read different books. Socionics was among popular hypotheses, some people said opinions about my type and so I have decided to read about this too. Initially, I was sceptical alike to another "astrology".
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It didn’t help me at all. Probably made life even more difficult over the past 10 years.

TIM
    SLI 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's helped me accept characteristics of myself and understand them, as well as the same with others. Though I believe it (typology as a whole) works best when you don't take it too seriously in real life and just view it as, well I don't know, fun facts or trivia or something light hearted of sorts as opposed to a strict scientific method and sit around overanalyzing it. It's probably all bullshit anyway but I have a reality on it so eh, it's true enough for me but again mostly fun stuff than anything.

Compared to other psychology? Well I generally dislike a lot of psychology outside of typology so, in the sense that I actually enjoy it lol.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is such a huge question, I can only give some examples. Basically socionics explained why I like the things I like and why I don't like the things I don't like, and helped to explain which of these things are "normal" or acceptable.
    The higher, the fewer

Articles - Questionnaire - Typology Network - Blog

TIM
    ILI INTp
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It didn't. I tried to find someone else with similar methods of thought. So otherway around, I guess. Sadly, if I did, I didn't identify it, and I didn't identify with the person. Still, I theorized that could be the case, so who knows. Maybe I just can't recognize myself.

I'm very self knowlegeable, so that is a thing. Or at least I think I am. How do you type a shrug? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If I stop responding or posting, I've probably taken a break from posting stuff. This really taxes me for whatever reason. Said break could last anywhere from a month to a year. I will likely be back, as socionics is one of my interests. If I'm not on here, you can contact me on steam.

I got a new computer, so I'll not type on mobile as much any more.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics help me to prove that everyone is unique but equal. They are all important.

Before I discover Socionics, I am skeptical with my own statement, and feel myself delude or imaginary.

But now, I am sure with what I believe for many years ago. Yiiihaa... ^_^

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It didn't help me really, it only limited the perspective of both myself and of others.

There's no such thing as "Thinkers, Feelers, Sensors and Intuitives". The existence of something is not the evidence for the lack of existence of something else.

I'd say concepts like "Dimensionality" are harmful at best, and it limits your ability and your belief in able to achieve something.

"Thinkers" pretending like they're more logical and objective than others, and Feelers thinking that Thinkers are innately more logical and objective than them, and can never reach that state, I think, is fairly dangerous.

"Intuitives" don't have some sort of magical and mysterious understanding of things, and "Sensors"don't have some sort of magical aesthetical or medical understanding, nor are they magically grounded in "reality" or "concrete thinking".