TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Misophonia and IEs

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

Any thoughts on which IEs in which blocks this is playing off of (eg. 4D Si or PoLR Si)?
    "I would rather be ashes than dust"

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked."

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Qualitative sense perception is generally associated with Si, i believe.

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    Qualitative sense perception is generally associated with Si, i believe.
    That's what I figured, but not clear on if necessarily valued or unvalued. There are like a dozen things that send me up the walls immediately. Basically can't finish a youtube video if someone doesn't have a pop filter and I have to hear them smacking their lips or hear the spit sloshing around in their mouth.

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked."

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oppai Anschluss View Post
    That's what I figured, but not clear on if necessarily valued or unvalued. There are like a dozen things that send me up the walls immediately. Basically can't finish a youtube video if someone doesn't have a pop filter and I have to hear them smacking their lips or hear the spit sloshing around in their mouth.
    Hm. I would say more likely to be strong Si, but i'm not sure. I think this would be most apparent in SXI types.

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. I would say more likely to be strong Si, but i'm not sure. I think this would be most apparent in SXI types.
    Not the case with xSI types, you don't think? They have 4-dimensional Si like SxIs but Demonstartive

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEI and LSI are more picky about Si stuff than SLI and ESI.

TIM
    D-ESI-Se 1w2
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

Any thoughts on which IEs in which blocks this is playing off of (eg. 4D Si or PoLR Si)?
    lmao this is just ASMR hatred, straight up. Beta STs and @Adam Strange from what I've seen

In terms of valued vs unvalued, the people I knew that loved ASMR the most were Si valuers. The people who hate it the most are Se valuers. That's just my experience lol.
    "We live in an age in which there is no heroic death."

Model A: ESI-Se -
    DCNH: Dominant

Enneagram: 1w2, 2w1, 6w7
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/So

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I can't stand the hissing sound some make when saying words that end in "s" or whispering that is not directed at me so it is close enough for me to clearly hear. My brother (IEI) gets mad when people eat a certain way. You basically cannot eat anything loud around him. I always cringed at the sound of him grinding his teeth at night. He has done it since he was a toddler. I think it is repressed anxiety in him. Surprised his teeth are ok since I can hear it from the next room. My step dad (ILI) would pay my cousins to spit out their gum. He hated the smacking sound. I would not relate it just to strong Si.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I can't stand the hissing sound some make when saying words that end in "s" or whispering that is not directed at me so it is close enough for me to clearly hear. My brother (IEI) gets mad when people eat a certain way. You basically cannot eat anything loud around him. I always cringed at the sound of him grinding his teeth at night. He has done it since he was a toddler. I think it is repressed anxiety in him. Surprised his teeth are ok since I can hear it from the next room. My step dad (ILI) would pay my cousins to spit out their gum. He hated the smacking sound. I would not relate it just to strong Si.
    Sounding like an unvalued Si thing most consistently, and I'd guess ranging in degree based on where it falls specifically.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this problem, to a moderate degree. I sometimes wear earplugs at the dinner table so I can’t hear others’ eating distinctly. The absolute worst is on the subway, someone eating crackly things like a bag of chips. I get very irrationally angry. I know it’s irrational and other people aren’t similarly bothered, so I just try to manage my feelings.

In myself I would associate it with shitty Si, because I clearly don’t adapt to sensory input well. It easily throws me off. Yet I want sensory input, so I try to control what input I get by focusing on aesthetics and arts etc.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to either be warped, indecipherable sensory experience, or fine-tuned, exact experience.

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    I have this problem, to a moderate degree. I sometimes wear earplugs at the dinner table so I can’t hear others’ eating distinctly. The absolute worst is on the subway, someone eating crackly things like a bag of chips. I get very irrationally angry. I know it’s irrational and other people aren’t similarly bothered, so I just try to manage my feelings.

In myself I would associate it with shitty Si, because I clearly don’t adapt to sensory input well. It easily throws me off. Yet I want sensory input, so I try to control what input I get by focusing on aesthetics and arts etc.
    Youch, I haven't needed earplugs before but I've considered it. The chewing sound doesn't bother me but hearing someone's spit, if their P's pop too much, S's whistle, or if they smack their lips when talking I have to restrain myself from wanting to shout at them. Otherwise I love having total sensory situational awareness around me.

It seems to either be warped, indecipherable sensory experience, or fine-tuned, exact experience.
    To me it feels like it's distracting me from sensing things that I want or need to and I can't stop hearing it.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hate aspirated P and B sounds. I also hate the sound of silverware hitting a dish or cup.

TIM
    LII 5w6 593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a negative aspect of Si, so I would link it with -Si types + evaluatory Si types (Reinin's carefree): "Evaluatory functions are the strongest (1 and 8) and weakest (4 and 5) functions of a person's psyche; strong judgments about areas that involve these functions are made".

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    It's genetic, and not type-related.
    Thank you! I looked up the allele on selfdecode and I do have one G. My brother hasn't sent in the kit I bought him but I am like 95% sure he will be GG.

Your post made me go back and read the full article since I pretty much figured it was genetic. At first I thought it might be related to my synesthesia when I saw the thread. I have posted things about this before which probably called my socionics type into question so I wasn't going to mention me having it yet again because I know having synesthesia makes some people think I have strong or valued Si. The article on wikipedia did mention it.

The diagnosis of misophonia is not recognized in the DSM-IV or the ICD 10, and it is not classified as a hearing or psychiatric disorder.[4] It may be a form of sound–emotion synesthesia, and has parallels with some anxiety disorders.[1] As of 2018 it was not clear if misophonia should be classified as a symptom or as a condition.[3][2]
    My brother has GAD and I also had anxiety related OCD before I got CBT. I am not really an anxious person so during that time people thought I had a personality switch and it didn't go unnoticed. I have a friend, who knows nothing about socionics, suggest it was related to autism but she said neither my brother or me seemed autistic. We aren't.

I have discussed the whispering thing with therapists before and they gave me coping techniques. Mine isn't as bad as his but he has active anxiety issues. Having a gf and job has helped with a lot of it because it got him out of his head but this sound aversion remains and he still grinds his teeth at night. My mom was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder too, when I was a kid, but she did not accept the meds. She powered through it.

It does induce an anger that is irrational in both my brother and me. He gets more worked up about it than me. He has thrown things at me and my sisters while eating (when we were younger). None of us chew loudly.

I think the strong emotional and sensory aversion is why I can't watch most ASMR. It is like nails on a chalkboard and I find the person kind of disgusting even when they are not. My brother thinks other people eating is pretty disgusting no matter how mannered and quiet you are, one slip up and I see his whole demeanor change. At least he is not flipping out anymore.

Edit: Why I think he will probably be GG is because my step dad is his bio dad. My step dad had the same thing.
    Last edited by Aylen; 02-04-2019 at 03:49 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you! I looked up the allele on selfdecode and I do have one G. My brother hasn't sent in the kit I bought him but I am like 95% sure he will be GG.

I rarely get bothered by noise. I often will have the tv on, pandora on my phone, and 3 kids running around talking, yelling... and someone will walk in the house and will be like, why is all this stuff running, it’s so loud in here, how can you stand it? I don’t really notice people chewing with their mouths opened either, or am bothered by it. I’d say I can tolerate it a lot more than average, probably. I feel like I just don’t notice these things people are talking about on this thread No specific sounds. I feel like zoning in on such a thing would require a type of concentration I’m not capable of.

I’m AA for that gene.
    Last edited by Aster; 02-04-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I rarely get bothered by noise. I often will have the tv on, pandora on my phone, and 3 kids running around talking, yelling... and someone will walk in the house and will be like, why is all this stuff running, it’s so loud in here, how can you stand it? I don’t really notice people chewing with their mouths opened either, or am bothered by it. I’d say I can tolerate it a lot more than average, probably. I feel like I just don’t notice these things people are talking about on this thread No specific sounds. I feel like zoning in on such a thing would require a type of concentration I’m not capable of.

I’m AA for that gene.
    Haha nice, genetics...

For months I have been wearing headphones practically 24/7 to drown out noises I don't want to hear. I sleep to videos. I was saying in chatbox I recently started sleeping to Alan Watts because I have practically memorized all seasons of "How the Universe Works" just by sleeping to them. I said his voice didn't bother me. Ended up jinxing myself. I turned one on last night...I could not fall asleep to it. His voice was not conducive to sleep. He made weird noises. How did I not notice before??? lol I think I had fallen asleep too early to notice before. I can still listen while awake though since I think he was funny at times and had an interesting perception of reality.

My brother and his new family are staying with me. I think this condition is related to quieter sounds. Whispering and hissing from a human sounding voice can be maddening at times. Sounds almost demonic when heard from a distance. I am just waiting for the head to spin around when someone is whispering to themselves. lol It is an emotional trigger for me it seems. I can listen to loud music easily. My EII sister does not like loud music. She will zone out to Tool for hours while she paints, as long as it is at an acceptable sound level.

YWIMW

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm GG and the irrational anger part is right on. I think it's gotten better with time though. I've gotten to where I can usually ignore it, but when I'm tired or trying to focus on something I'll still sometimes find myself snapping at people for not just chewing or drinking water loudly but yawning or having hiccups or coughing - things they can't even control.
    Is it out of the question that what people term as their "type" is influenced by genetics, or is a genetic component to personality and cognition anathema?

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same thought. Some parts of personality are heritable. Unless it is known whether misophonia is more common when certain traits occur, we don’t know if it is related to having certain collections of traits.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's genetic, and not type-related.
    99.9% (probably 100%) of "Is it type related?" threads end with this.

That's because types and IE are correlation, and not causation. There's simply no way to tell whether something is type related or not. There's no way to tell if misophonia is Si or Fi or whatever.

You might say, "I know some Si types that have misophonia", but that's correlation (although much of "genetics" answer is still correlation, so you should remain skeptical).

If you want causation, then you're going to have to come up with an explanation. And that's hard to do.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

probably not type related.
    I do have it though.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have misophonia wrt obnoxious "nom nom nom" eating noises that make you sound like a glutenous sack of shit, along with straw-slurping noises of a cup running on empty. What really sends me over the edge is rubbing/scratching of paper. I absolutely cannot stand it.

My LSI friend has a similar problem with chewing noises, and he's probably more sensitive to it than I am.

You'd think this would be an Si ego problem since physical comfort is both valued and more conscious in those types.