Hybrid View

TIM
    not this again
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Teenage rebellion functions?

I was looking for a topic like this but couldn't find it so I figured I'd just ask.

Which function would you say we rebel with/through as we grow up? Considering that teenage rebellion is a process that encompasses the whole person, is there one functinon that would be connected to this more than others?

I was thinking along these lines: rebelling serves as a means of establishing our boundaries, defining ourselves, so it's connected to ourselves as much as it is to people around us, our parents, other authorities but also friends etc. We choose who and what to let in and who and what to keep out. So would you say that is only related to becoming aware of our base and creative functions? Or are any other functions playing a major role in the process as well?

Maybe you could share your personal experiences with that: what were the ways you rebelled? Can you spot a connection to any of your functions?

Personally, I rebelled through starting to pay attention to my personal creature comforts, aesthetic values etc., placing them above those of people in authority of me. That's pretty Si. I don't know my type, so I can only speculate . But Si is definitely not my strong suit. And so, my rebellion didn't really stick with me (my guess is it rarely does). I sort of mastered putting together outfits that worked for my personal preference (stopped listening to my family) and I got the hang of music that I really liked (stopped following a group of peers). I don't really value these things so much anymore. They didn't stick. So it would seem I used my Si and then got bored with it because too much focus on it grew tiring. It was important for a while and then lost its appeal. And so it is with Si things in my life in general: it's something that I can enjoy and do but it's not necessary and I consider focusing on it a bit childish. So that sounds like... Hidden Agenda? This is just an individual example, tho, and I'm sure others have different experiences.

Hope I'm not entirely off base&hope to hear your thoughts!

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never really rebelled and now in retrospect that may've had negative repercussions as I still find it difficult to receive enough respect as an adult compared to my siblings.

By contrast, in high school my ESI sister talked back a lot, used manipulation to extract the material goods she wanted from parents, secretly broke curfew all the time by sneaking out of the house (whereas my parents would lock me out if I was 2 minutes past 11) and she used to beat people up in school and call them names and get detention.

I was too well-behaved for my own good but I wouldn't try to pull things e.g. some of what she did above among other offenses I won't mention.

My form of rebellion was things like NOT cheating as other students would to get the good grades ... Going per traditional type meanings that could have been both an Fe and Fi thing ... I am a little strongminded in my principles and always have been since age 5.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

For me it would have to be with the suggestive function since I got in trouble mostly by hanging out with and doing what a boy I liked wanted to do, like sneaking out at night to meet them and our friends when my mom was asleep. My EII sister had no obvious rebellious stage from what I can remember. Maybe she did something but in contrast to me it didn't stand out as rebellion. She rarely was in trouble for anything.

Maybe the people who skip teen rebellion are the ones who get a midlife crisis instead. Wouldn't be fair to get both in one lifetime.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did what I did purely out of a love of chaos and mayhem.. well mostly.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    I did what I did purely out of a love of chaos and mayhem.. well mostly.
    So basically we never completely grow out of it. We just refine it.

Se as suggestive function in IEI (INFp; Esenin) and ILI (INTp; Balzac) - these people are always moving in the direction of greatest strength, wealth, success, reliability, suggestible by the external form, appearance. They try to live a beautiful life, whatever it costs them. One gets the impression that they always manage to be on the winning side, on the side of the strongest party. If the balance of forces is switched, likewise they will change their direction. Often attracted to strong people. They are easily put into optimistic state of mind if "shaken up" a little - immediately become charged by the received pulse. They constantly try to be in environment where they has a sense of omnipotence: money, power, honor, glory, medals, etc. If they are at the the bottom of social hierarchy, will attempt to climb up by any means necessary. If something is being imposed on them, they are often not able to resist and oppose it, easily suggestible by force. Thus they may act cold, distant and aloof, just in case, as to not fall into such circumstances. A good place for him is where there is some kind of action, active work, turbulent life. He becomes unconsciously "plugged in", involved in it, and then later is surprised to discover himself where he did not expect himself to be. For this reason, they need to be careful not to get involved by chance in some business or project with which he had no desire to have an association. They are very easy pushed into something, moved towards some solution, because these people are easily manipulated by someone's force and suddenly find themselves besides such a person. Often they do not take offense at the sarcastic jokes made in their own address, as they also contain an element of force, may even perceive this as a hidden compliment. Respond to this sarcastically as the situation in principle implies he needs to reply with something for it. However, being drawn to strength and constantly going in the same direction, sooner or later he may actually reach it, and not just try to discover and obtain it. Sometimes they may try to provoke someone to use their force, for example, offer to arrange a tournament in arm wrestling.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never felt like I had much to rebel against. My parents had a permissive parenting style . They pretty much let me do whatever I wanted. Never had a curfew or rules. If I wanted to suddenly dress crazy, my mom would have saw it as a phase and supported it. She probably would have went out and bought me the clothes, whatever I wanted. The only rebellious thing I really did was skip school a lot my senior year, because I was tired of being there. My boyfriend had gone to college and I was lonely without him there. Never got in much trouble for it, though. Which was probably a bad thing in the long run, honestly. I think that kind of parenting style had many negative effects on my life, and my mom now sees it’s effect on not only me, but my sister, and wishes she would have done things a little differently.
    Last edited by Aster; 01-12-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

According to the suggestive function hypothesis I was lying on the sofa and watching lots of TV while eating candy. That is actually eerily accurate being compared to my state before an after those years. Every Friday after school. Folks at home were quite baffled of my development.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

weak nonvalued are rejected the most in hard times. teenager age mb thought as such
    but also in that age a human studies to understand own limits what predisposes to behavior's variety, - in interests and ideals

it's not a single-valued situation in that age.
    to 16 yo a human is expected to choose the behavior common for own type, what is still teenager age. then the above about weak nonvalued should to work