Thread: The Legendary Disappearing Middle Class

TIM
    Cyberbird
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Legendary Disappearing Middle Class

OK, is the middle class "shrinking" because of upward mobility? If I'm going to talk about upward mobility anywhere, it's here. I largely suspect the middle class isn't disappearing at all, but the combination of social media and increasing social mobility is rubbing middle class precariousness deep into their faces. A huge portion of the middle class thinks that other classes are immoral and measures their worth by working to earn a lot of money, and the poor don't have a lot of money, while the rich don't work to earn it. I personally think that kind of person is just getting what they deserve now and floundering in an illusion.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IMO, it's a combination of salaries within the middle class range shrinking and housing costs rapidly increasing to new heights. Salaries are not keeping up with the cost of inflation and the cost of housing especially in large cities is out of reach for many in the middle class:

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5