Thread: Types and physical space

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Types and physical space

How much physical space do you need for your own?

Which types in your experience require more and which types less physical space to live in?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read it in one of Reinin's comments that sensors supposedly take up more space, or like are really present 'in the space that they inhabit".

I personally have noticed myself i have a terrible habit of not really 'inhabiting' the space i'm in. Like if someone else comes too close in a way, i will move further away, so i guess you could say i don't really 'claim' the space i am in.

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I start getting agitated when someone gets within elbow-distance from me out in public. Beyond that I'll take as much space as I can manage, whether it's a cubicle, office, conference room, or more.
    "I would rather be ashes than dust"

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked."

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like to have small bedrooms and larger, expansive, other rooms which connect to large outside spaces. Clear, open space is something I like a lot. However, I presently live in a very small house.

I imagine that my preference for open space and long sight lines gives me "room" to see the tigers in advance. Or something.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't need a lot of space so long as what's impeding me isn't clutter. If I have to live or operate in a cluttered space for a length of time my emotional state deteriorates. But I don't notice the space restriction of, say, a cubicle. I mean, I would hate to be stuck in an elevator. But I can walk out of a cubicle.

I'm more annoyed by restrictions imposed by human bodies. If i'm held down without my will, like play fighting or something, I go a little psycho. I also have a pretty typical dislike of slow moving crowds and I'm a little annoyed if i have to stand on the bus. But I don't mind crowds and I sometimes enjoy their energy in situations where i'm not trying to get anywhere, like at concerts.

One thing ive noticed is that im stressed out by the expansiveness of rural and suburban areas filled with one story buildings and lots of sky. It makes me feel a little helpless and untethered. I prefer densely populated areas with tall buildings, and I even have some preference for apartments over houses, even if sharing a building comes with certain drawbacks. Denser geographies make me feel more safe with easier access to help and resources. (I realize they come with more dangers, too, but this is an emotional/instinctual response and not a rational one.)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@ashlesha, almost everyone has a preference for living in the same-sized city or rural area as the one in which they grew up.
    I grew up in a suburban neighborhood next to a large park, about a mile from the center of a city of 100,000 people, and that is very close to my living situation now.

Although I own a place on five wooded acres in a farming area (with deer, turkeys, coyotes and hawks), I tend to view that isolated area as a potential crime scene. Lol. Even though I know that statistics say that crime scales directly with population density, I can only see one neighbor and the place, which is super nice most of the time, can feel very isolated at other times..

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I moved around a lot but up until I was about 9 (my "developmental years" I guess?) I was in a residential area of a city - a little less dense than my ideal but still comfortable.

I have the same instinct about isolated areas being potential crime scenes - nobody to hear you scream (even if in reality people don't care if they hear you screaming anyway lol)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have lived in a very small apartment which I usually used about one third (apartment was like 20 m2). I don't need much.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year while setting up my career in a new country I lived in a small box 8 x 4 feet, x 7 feet height, next to an ILI girl with an anal masturbation scat fetish along with loud moaning. For half a year. After this and other such bad shared living experiences, you get what you pay for I’ve learned.

I don’t need really any physical space to live in, rather I’m more agoraphobic like ashlesha and I enjoy a sense of squished coziness, but the people I’m around make all the difference, as do things like air quality, sounds, smells and lights, and my access to basic things. I am a big person and walk quickly sometimes and I like a lot of personal space as I am moving and doing things I find, especially if there IS space yet people don’t move away anyway. I don’t like being around people who are not spatially aware.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Last year while setting up my career in a new country I lived in a small box 8 x 4 feet, x 7 feet height, next to an ILI girl with an anal masturbation fetish along with loud moaning. After this and other such bad shared living experiences, you get what you pay for I’ve learned.
    There are people who would pay extra for that.

I don’t need really any physical space to live in, rather I’m more agoraphobic like ashlesha and I enjoy a sense of squished coziness, but the people I’m around make all the difference, as do things like air quality, sounds, smells and lights, and my access to basic things. I am a big person and walk quickly sometimes and I like a lot of personal space as I am moving and doing things I find, especially if there IS space yet people don’t move away anyway. I don’t like being around people who are not spatially aware.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOT View Post
    How much physical space do you need for your own?

Which types in your experience require more and which types less physical space to live in?
    It would be nice to live in a 6000sqft home. I tend to get less space though. My smallest apartment ever was only 300sqft. It was so small I couldn't stand staying there aside from showering and sleeping. It only lasted a few months and I changed my situation for other reasons.

I would be comfortable in 2000sqft uncluttered minimum. I have lived minimally in 550sqft yet felt cramped even though I was alone.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as living conditions all I need is a room for my bed, a place to shower, a place to cook, and a place for weights. Have a 1250sqft place for nice and cheap and still don’t feel like I use more than 2/3 of it.
    "I would rather be ashes than dust"

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Se types tend to place their things anywhere and kind of catch the territory. Despite they need or not it now.
    Si types tend to get what is needed now. But they'll do.

What is needed objectively does not depend on types.

https://youtu.be/JirvSuZQ-gA?t=225
    TIM
    IEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll adapt, I have no preference. It's more important that if there's other people I am aware of their schedules so that I know the exact time I will be disturbed so I can prepare accordingly lol

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Although I own a place on five wooded acres in a farming area (with deer, turkeys, coyotes and hawks), I tend to view that isolated area as a potential crime scene. Lol.
    Are you saying you plan on murdering someone?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see much of a correlation with this specific trait. Again, as I always stress, it's about the IM element more so than the type. Se and Si are relevant to how you relate to the space around you. In my experience Si-valuers pay more attention to the quality of their living space, which can include quantity. For Se valuers it might be more relevant as a status symbol rather than being about how you practically relate to the space.

Personally, I just want enough space to do what I want to do in it (which isn't a lot of space typically). If it's too small then clutter gets in the way, but if it's big it may take too much maintenance or time to traverse.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Last year while setting up my career in a new country I lived in a small box 8 x 4 feet, x 7 feet height, next to an ILI girl with an anal masturbation scat fetish along with loud moaning. For half a year. After this and other such bad shared living experiences, you get what you pay for I’ve learned.
    Ummm... only a wall separated you from lesbian semi-dualization and possibly DCNH dual.

Please tell us more of those experinces.

I lived with extreme Normalizing subtype. It was like walking on egg shells. He even called me to pick up news paper from the floor when I was +300 km's away from there.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    I lived with extreme Normalizing subtype. It was like walking on egg shells. He even called me to pick up news paper from the floor when I was +300 km's away from there.
    very true. I've had the same suffering, lol
    Last edited by Hope; 12-05-2018 at 09:49 PM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I feel like I take up space. I'm like 6'2" and I don't really have a welcoming aura to me (so I've heard) and I guess people generally just give me space whether I want it or not.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mio Q View Post
    I feel like I take up space. I'm like 6'2" and I don't really have a welcoming aura to me (so I've heard) and I guess people generally just give me space whether I want it or not.
    Today while bussing I accidentally stepped on a guy's foot and he more or less apologized to me and I feel like the size differential had something to do with it since he was about a foot taller. Then another guy let me have his handle for standing after watching me reach my arm ridiculously high to reach the bar. I was feeling sympathy for tall people lol.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please tell us more of those experiences.
    She literally left a poop outside my door one time.

She also used to do it in the shared shower and smelt up the place. Finally my male SLE floormate got annoyed by her noises and tried to call the housing office to try to get her kicked out, but they needed us to give them video proof. She ended up moving out a week after I did, after my half year of suffering beside her.

What if Normal depends on type. Scat might be extreme Normalizing for ILIs.

I bet if you resorted to a poop attack on your ex roomie he’d call the cops.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What if Normal depends on type. Scat might be extreme Normalizing for ILIs.

I bet if you resorted to a poop attack on your ex roomie he’d call the cops.
    ILI's, you'll never know...
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm... only a wall separated you from lesbian semi-dualization and possibly DCNH dual.

Please tell us more of those experinces.

The weirdest part is, we actually had lunch/dinner together and hung out a few times. Before this happened... well she did talk to me civilly once afterwards. Idk.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The weirdest part is, we actually had lunch/dinner together and hung out a few times. Before this happened... well she did talk to me civilly once afterwards. Idk.
    You, know there this weird thing about ILX types. Especially when we deal with ethics and sensing...
    People who hardly know me can think of me as super social creature within certain limits if they meet me at the right time. BUT I have my needs to fill my nihilistic reserves. And this is kind problem because the Fi is very one sided and not good for making actualized relational connections.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my needs to fill my nihilistic reserves. And this is kind problem because the Fi is very one sided and not good for making actualized relational connections.
    I know that feel

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very little space as long as my privacy is intact.