Thread: Citizenship by birth

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    There are kids in the schools around where I live whose parents have been and are being deported. They generally have been able to find other relatives to live with, sometimes teachers have taken them in. It's not about the parents dropping the kid off - the parents want to stay with their kids, and so they stay in the country illegally. I frankly think it's best to allow families to stay together. If you allow more legal immigration, then the whole family becomes legal citizens. If it's just the child, then it's a pretty weird situation for them.
    That is definitely a problematic situation that needs solutions like more legal immigration like you said, with better integration of new immigrants into society. Imagine a situation though where it’s basically the same except the child can also get deported and has limited rights and will now have immense difficulties becoming a proper citizen in any country, where their family continues trying to stay in the country via loopholes.

I guess I shouldn’t say “tends to” be like this, only as far as what I’ve studied.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider the implication if a child's parents can be deported, but the child legally cannot be. If you allow for more legal immigration that problem is somewhat alleviated, but just allowing the child to be a citizen creates additional illegal immigration.
    I don't know why you would think that legally deporting a child to a country that he/she have never even been to is a better option. I also don't think that it has to do with allowing citizenship by birth. There will be illegal immigrants either way.

Also such things do happen in countries where there is no citizenship by birth. The child can also be "legally deported" to the country that they were not born in and grew up in. However that is typically considered to be too cruel, so the government may allow special grants to them.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Consider the implication if a child's parents can be deported, but the child legally cannot be. If you allow for more legal immigration that problem is somewhat alleviated, but just allowing the child to be a citizen creates additional illegal immigration.
    Let them take the kids with them if they want, or let them leave the kids here in the care of a guardian. I don't see the issue. Citizens can still leave the country - we aren't trapped here.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

remove lex soli from the premises
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm opposed to things that are illegal because they are illegal, unless I think they should be legal.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. This allows the US to discriminate against non-citizens. It has been used for things that are unbecomming of a civilized nation. For example, internment of Japanese Americans. Of course not having it at all would be worse, but I'd prefer cosmopolitanism as a policy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somehow, I doubt that most advocates for cancelling birthright citizenship would hesitate, even for a split second, to give citizenship to a fair-skinned Scottish baby.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe in citizenship by birth. Astrologically from a natal chart standpoint, it would suck to lifelong be born where allegedly you did not belong. This creates a cruel and inhumane condition.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be okay with ending it if we're also allowed to retroactively retract the citizenships of every mouth-breathing racist with a scumbag sense of entitlement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12