View Poll Results: Debate style seems more: (multiple choice - choose more than one)

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • XNTX

    2 4.35%
  • XNFX

    10 21.74%
  • ENTp

    4 8.70%
  • ENFp

    8 17.39%
  • INTj

    1 2.17%
  • INFj

    7 15.22%
  • Extreme Ne

    7 15.22%
  • Extreme Ti

    1 2.17%
  • Extreme Fi

    6 13.04%
Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: Multiple choice - do I debate like NF or NT

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Multiple choice - do I debate like NF or NT ...

    Like, I will say something seriously intellectual and then other people will think it is a funny argument or what I say is incoherent. I really do not feel like people follow my logic much at all or understand where I am coming from most of the time, or just sort of blow me off.

    For example, I write alot about diffrent religions and how the relate to each other. In one of the links Niffweed thought what I said was silly. I can not really tell whether that was just his opinion of the matter or that I am for the most part silly with my logic. Maybe both?

    Check out the links below for examples of what I mean ...

    http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...pic.php?t=6623
    http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...2807&start=180

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    in terms of the actual construction of your argument, i dont have enough knowledge of any of the religions to evaluate it.

    however, the nature of the argument was totally ridiculous and it seems pretty clear to me that all of the abrahamic religions, at least, have facets of both ethical functions while entirely lacking logic. thus to confine them to a particular quadra or type is absurd.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I see what you mean and sort of saw the same, but I've also studied alot about religion [it was my major in college for 3 years] and it is hard for me not to see the parallels. It is blatently clear that Christianity/Judaism are sensory-ethical religions and Eastern religions are all intuitive-ethical. From that consideration, it should be easier to make further deductions [Christianity is more because, Judaism is more because, Buddism is more because, etc.].

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the only one of those that i agree with at all is the idea that eastern religions such as buddhism or taoism definitely take an Ni quality.

  5. #5
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To answer the question, I think you use Ne to argue your Fi values. Sometimes it's just pure Fi.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    the only one of those that i agree with at all is the idea that eastern religions such as buddhism or taoism definitely take an Ni quality.
    It is true, but you need to be able to contrast how the people in the religions view the world. Say that a Buddhist and a Christian are standing next to oneanother, and they see a homosexual dressed as a woman [this is the most understandable example I can think of to describe this]. The Christian will say that the man is a sinner because he was born a man [has male genitals], and therefore should be attracted to women. The Buddist will say that the man has homosexual tendencies [and that he has male genitals does not matter since he will reincarnate into another body], and that it he is suffering from the effects of promoscuity in his last lifethat have been passed into this life [cheated on his wife in a past life], and that he must make the right choices in this life in order to improve the next life.

    Now, would you not say that it is rather obvious by religious definition that that Christian is judging the homosexual as a sinner by his objective physical circumstances and the Buddist by the subjective abstract qualities of his perdiciment? ... seems obviously an versus contrast to me ...

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    To answer the question, I think you use Ne to argue your Fi values. Sometimes it's just pure Fi.
    Can you give examples of where I have done this??? Feel free to list any number of threads where I posted stuff ungarded.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    both of those explanations are so blatantly stupid that theres no reason to even apply them to any sort of function except lack of logic.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    both of those explanations are so blatantly stupid that theres no reason to even apply them to any sort of function except lack of logic.
    See ... right here ... it is clear as day to me where the exact parallels are, but not always to everyone else.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok, how about this ... if what I wrote is not based on logic ... is it based on common relationships?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if that question is addressed to me, i have no idea.

  12. #12
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think you argue things by looking for similarities between things. I also think you get annoyed when people point out that your arguments are not based on logic. Also, you reek of Fi. This is not a put-down as I too reek of Fi.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  13. #13
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,330
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would say that your arguments carry a lot of implications to them, and that you see many implications, that you try to describe or state what you see, but do not always do well in making them explicit. Based on this I would say the argument style is N or F.

    You do tend to argue over abstract concepts (like religion), however you also seem to quickly jump into being involved. It's like, your very involved (emotionally, identifying?) in your arguments, even though they are about abstract comments.

    Based on that, I'll have to go with an NF style of arguing.

    Of course, I tend not to read much of the arguing and debates that go on around here, so what I am basing my thoughts on are probably a small set of samples, around concepts i find of interest. As such, my thoughts are already biased.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And another thing, I really do not have a complex about being called stupid [on the contrary I am usually considered intelligent] ... though I hate it when people say that I am not in reality, and make moronic judgements on my character based just on that. I do get annoyed when people either say that I am stupid or that I am not in reality.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    Now, would you not say that it is rather obvious by religious definition that that Christian is judging the homosexual as a sinner by his objective physical circumstances and the Buddist by the subjective abstract qualities of his perdiciment? ... seems obviously an versus contrast to me ...
    Couldn't you tie another function to Buddhism like that too though, for example you could say that thinking every action in the present has inevitable results in the future is pretty .

    At the core of Buddhism lies the path to enlightenment. The Buddha described the basic techniques through which to reach a pretty abstract future goal. Through observation of inner mental processes the practioner over time brings about biological changes in the brain (I don't know the details but basically in the end the part of the brain that produces the sense of a separate self stops its activity). Of course Buddhism is also about morality etc, but the core is very IMHO.

  16. #16
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,937
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    From your posts, I can sense strong rather than anything else. The posts in that thread don't really allow the opportunity to be based on common relatationships, it was quite a 'far out' topic, but your other posts, I don't really know .

  17. #17
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I used to think you were INFj but now I think you're ENFp.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  18. #18
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,937
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Looking at your past posts, I don't see strong , or at least I see strong such as when you were joking early about how much ammunition cost. I usually associate that sort of creative writing with , perhaps wrongly. But that post also shows that probably isn't your primary function , but if Morrissey (possible INFj) can threaten violence against meat eaters every week then who knows? I basically agree with SlackerMum and think you have Delta values and are probably ENFp. But I don't really have any expertise at anything .

    EDIT: You actually made one reference to ammunition and another to a machine gun in the space of 14 minutes , so hopefully I'm not in your bad books.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kopernikus
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    Now, would you not say that it is rather obvious by religious definition that that Christian is judging the homosexual as a sinner by his objective physical circumstances and the Buddist by the subjective abstract qualities of his perdiciment? ... seems obviously an versus contrast to me ...
    Couldn't you tie another function to Buddhism like that too though, for example you could say that thinking every action in the present has inevitable results in the future is pretty .

    At the core of Buddhism lies the path to enlightenment. The Buddha described the basic techniques through which to reach a pretty abstract future goal. Through observation of inner mental processes the practioner over time brings about biological changes in the brain (I don't know the details but basically in the end the part of the brain that produces the sense of a separate self stops its activity). Of course Buddhism is also about morality etc, but the core is very IMHO.
    Christianity [early platonic Christianity, not modern evangelical] and Buddhism both are very much into an 'inner spirituality' ... however, Buddism is actually closer to for the simple fact that it is insignifigant whether a person believes in God, and if a God or Gods exist, they must follow natural law [this is not atheism, some think it is but it isn't]. Hence, Buddism believes that any number of religions contain truth. Christianity is more about preservation of the past and lineage to the prophets or apostles, while only believing in the new testament God.

    The other stuff about Budda I think you were making a reference to 'samskarma' ... since Buddhism is anti-metaphysical, it makes sense to say that.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    but if Morrissey (possible INFj) can threaten violence against meat eaters every week then who knows? I basically agree with SlackerMum and think you have Delta values and are probably ENFp. But I don't really have any expertise at anything .
    I use to be a vegitarian and I do not usually threaten people who eat meat. However, I do entirely disdain alcohol and tend to avoid places where people use alcohol ...

    Ohh yeah, I also hate party types and whenever I see a party going on the first things that comes into my mind is something like "Wow! Great place to lob a hand-grenade!" ... though I usually just leave rather quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    EDIT: You actually made one reference to ammunition and another to a machine gun in the space of 14 minutes , so hopefully I'm not in your bad books.
    Hehehe ... not yet ... :wink:

  21. #21
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,937
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Right. Erm, shit. I don't like alcohol either .

    Ohh yeah, I also hate party types and whenever I see a party going on the first things that comes into my mind is something like "Wow! Great place to lob a hand-grenade!" ... though I usually just leave rather quickly
    I hope by this you mean sometimes you don't leave quickly, rather than you occasionly throw hand grenades at 'innocent' bystanders...

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    Christianity [early platonic Christianity, not modern evangelical] and Buddhism both are very much into an 'inner spirituality' ... however, Buddism is actually closer to for the simple fact that it is insignifigant whether a person believes in God, and if a God or Gods exist, they must follow natural law [this is not atheism, some think it is but it isn't]. Hence, Buddism believes that any number of religions contain truth. Christianity is more about preservation of the past and lineage to the prophets or apostles, while only believing in the new testament God.
    Alright good points...

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    The other stuff about Budda I think you were making a reference to 'samskarma' ... since Buddhism is anti-metaphysical, it makes sense to say that.
    I think you might mean samsara. Anyways...

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    Right. Erm, shit. I don't like alcohol either .

    Ohh yeah, I also hate party types and whenever I see a party going on the first things that comes into my mind is something like "Wow! Great place to lob a hand-grenade!" ... though I usually just leave rather quickly
    I hope by this you mean sometimes you don't leave quickly, rather than you occasionly throw hand grenades at 'innocent' bystanders...
    No, it means that I usually do not have access to any hand grenades when they probably would come in handy ... *not that I actually go out of my way to obtain hand-granades, I do go out of my way to avoid partiers* ... I am joking :wink: ...

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    The other stuff about Budda I think you were making a reference to 'samskarma' ... since Buddhism is anti-metaphysical, it makes sense to say that.
    I think you might mean samsara. Anyways...
    There is actually both a samskarma and samskara, but I always get the two confused since they are similar.

  25. #25
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,937
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    , your post is a good example of your strong logic, or wordplay or something.

    And what about all that stuff about guns? Bionicgoat may have provoked you by wishing to murder his neighbours, but still, I find it hard to believe that you have non 'tendencies'.

  26. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    , your post is a good example of your strong logic, or wordplay or something.

    And what about all that stuff about guns? Bionicgoat may have provoked you by wishing to murder his neighbours, but still, I find it hard to believe that you have non 'tendencies'.
    I do have some, but personally I would not consider my very strong.

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    You do tend to argue over abstract concepts (like religion), however you also seem to quickly jump into being involved. It's like, your very involved (emotionally, identifying?) in your arguments, even though they are about abstract comments.
    Yeah, I get really passionate about talking about those sort of things. It charges me in fact ...

  28. #28
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    , your post is a good example of your strong logic, or wordplay or something.

    And what about all that stuff about guns? Bionicgoat may have provoked you by wishing to murder his neighbours, but still, I find it hard to believe that you have non 'tendencies'.
    I enjoy provoking Mcnew usually he stays away from my topics though since they can get a bit silly. I've noticed though that when he does comment on my posts I tend to bring out his own sillyness. If I had to guess at a type (which I'm not very good at) I'd say it's 50/50 for ENFp/INFj. I see things in Mcnew which very much remind me of myself, but at the same time there are huge differences between us. Perhaps it's type, perhaps it's differences in life experiences.

  29. #29
    Creepy-bg

    Default Re: Multiple choice - do I debate like NF or NT ...

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    Like, I will say something seriously intellectual and then other people will think it is a funny argument or what I say is incoherent. I really do not feel like people follow my logic much at all or understand where I am coming from most of the time, or just sort of blow me off.
    this to me says logic as role or POLR

  30. #30
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To my eyes, it seems like you add a lot of unnecessary fuff to most thing you say.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  31. #31
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,330
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    To my eyes, it seems like you add a lot of unnecessary fuff to most thing you say.
    so are you suggesting NeFi?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •