Thread: IEIs and being more open

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEIs and being more open

Now I'm not talking about an actual Big5 openness scale, even though it might play some role in this too. I don't know if other IEIs are like this too, but I have noticed that I get easily stuck in my ways. Not because I wouldn't like to try out new things, simply because I lack the motivation to actually go out and seek them. I like to imagine myself in this position of a strong person who takes an advantage of a situation and goes out into the world, trying out different things with different people. I have always been very attracted to this idea of a very free spirited no rules lifestyle, where anything can happen at any moment. Traveling, learning different languages, getting to know new foreign cultures, changing jobs, being on the go, on the move all the time, hell even trying out drugs, partying etc...

The issue is, I live out most of this in my dreams only and those dreams are vivid, vibrant, they make me feel alive, but I need more than that. Stability is something that horrifies me, and I more than often feel like I am stuck and unfree. I believe that I could find my own personal freedom to be who I am want to be and do what I want to do, but it's getting harder and harder for me to get out of my comfort zone and get out, function outside of my circle of friends, a boyfriend, work place.

I know I give up too easily. I am not a fighter, I like to victimize myself, see myself probably weaker than I really am. That's party the reason I find it hard to take an advantage of my environment and actually get myself more out there.

I just wish I could be more outside of myself. I mean... I'm just so drown in my own sense of self, my fantasies, my feelings, that I miss on every exciting thing that is happening around me and I need that sort of an excitement in my life. I see people around me who actually travel, do sports, try out new crazy things every weekend, but I just do the same old over and over and it's killing me inside.

How can an IEI become more open to new experiences in the real physical world? And don't say find a dual, I don't want a dual. I want to find this within me.

Master of Space and Reality Viktor's Avatar
    TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a mixture of being brave enough to act on your impulse, but also just being tired of not getting what you want. I feel like years go quicker the older I get, and the thought of living an unfulfilled life because I frel like I gotta be a certain way for people makes me really angry. You just gotta say no to that and live in your own bubble in a way, be happy for yourself at any cost. I've tried living life properly but I just keep fucking up, and nothing fucking works the way I want it to, so I just cut out all the unnecessary stuff. Lets say I felt like I fucked up so bad I can't turn my life around, well, then I might as well make my life into a joke, fuck it, lets try something

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've seen this often: IEIs seem to need to latch onto social groups that try new things; socially, they seem to need a tow. If left on their own, they usually get into ruts and when they realize they're in one, they become very discontent with everything (a tailspin) and sometimes blame others for their unhappiness. I think the key is expanding their circles of friends.......

a.k.a. I/O
    Last edited by Rebelondeck; 10-13-2018 at 06:26 PM.

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WAKE UP!!!!!!

Last edited by karas; 10-14-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Mango Helps w/ Kidney Stones A Moderator's Avatar
    TIM
    ILE C cp6
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Openness, as it's currently defined in BIG 5, includes openness to direct experience and intellectual openness. Therefore, someone high in openness will be open to explore new ideas and/or new physical activities. Given how inclusive this concept is, I don't think it necessarily helps to improve in this metric, since you seem to want more direct engagement with life specifically.

However, I recommend just setting goals for yourself and the experience will happen naturally. What are your biggest dreams? What are your aspirations? Where do you want to be? What compels you?

Focus on those things. Figure out what you have to do to fulfill those aspirations. Figuring out what you need to do to fulfill goals has a stronger overlap with Conscientiousness, if anything.

I'm not sure if you're IEI, either. However, my advice still applies.
    Santa Claus: That probably comes from the inherent profit motive of the bourgeoisie mentality.
    Santa Claus: Even on a cold day, a Coke is refreshing.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, the only way is to just do it. If you take the first step, you can then see what works and what doesn't for you, and to some extent maybe even make it a habit.
    The higher, the fewer

Articles - Questionnaire - Typology Network - Blog

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just do a little bit everyday, something newish. Times that by a couple years and you might not even recognize yourself.

edit: you got to get out of your comfort zone..there is no other way. No other way what-so-ever.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)