Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Negativist and trust issues?

  1. #1
    Hermit Soul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    TIM
    Ni Land
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Negativist and trust issues?

    Are negativist types more prone to having trust issues as compared to positivist types?

    I've been close to certain negativist types such as ESIs and SLEs and I noticed both these types can be very guarded and emotionally closed off and have difficulty letting people in.
    They seemed to place a huge value on loyalty and when someone wronged them, they just totally stopped trusting people altogether.
    Both these types are negativist types, so it makes me wonder if negativist types are more prone to having trust issues?

    I'm a positivist type and I can get trust issues too but my trust issues isn't as bad as negativist types. If someone wronged me, I'll write that person off, but I'll continue to befriend other people around me hoping that I'll encounter a trustworthy person. I wouldn't just totally stop trusting people altogether.

  2. #2
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cutting everyone off because of the actions of a few is a failure or impairment of the generalized classification system, and I would say that is related to poorly seeing options (-low Fe) and having difficulty with making flexible classification categories (low Te).

  3. #3
    Bertrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,537
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think negativism exacerbates what is already an issue because of Ne with ESI and Fi with SLE. Casting out Fi is self explanatory with SLE and with ESI its more about not wanting to expand the domain of relationships via possibilities and instead rely on the concrete pre-existing relations. With both of them this manifests as a kind of wall. Each are a little different but trust would be just what we call letting the wall itself down. I don't think SEI or IEE has the same issue with trust per se, although at some point everyone has been betrayed and anyone can develop a complex, so its not like there's never been a SEI with trust issues, but I don't think negativism is itself central to it, its more like polr in the context of the entire type combined with what people understand a "trust issue" to be. a lot of times people call a trust issue someone protecting their polr. in that sense you might have a SEI with a trust issue with respect to Te but doesn't occur precisely in a relational context although it can. I can think of negativism manifesting of criticizing people as not being trusting enough, in other words. this is to say negativism looks to what is lacking and if trust is lacking it may manifest in trying to promote trust not necessarily destroying it

  4. #4
    poetic evil
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    French books 'round here.
    TIM
    lost in translation
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I fit a negativist type and trust has been an issue to me.
    I remember from a young age my mother not holding her words, I forgot about what, but I learned to never trust people. I was 5...
    I came to the point where when people promise me something, I don't believe them and rule it out of my head. If they do, I am actually suprised...

    I have spent my whole life trying to keep everyone at a comfortable distance, yet I realize that it makes me lonely. I have been thinking about the possibility of finding one person to get close to, but I won't go around looking for friends, or whatever.

    It may sounds weird to many people, but the truth is I don't open up to anyone, at least, I don't think I do. I decide what to throw out there, and I consider it a "public information" that has a certain goal.

    I fit Adam's statement of low Fe, and my Te is bad. Very bad. : P
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

  5. #5
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernRose View Post
    I fit a negativist type and trust has been an issue to me.
    I remember from a young age my mother not holding her words, I forgot about what, but I learned to never trust people. I was 5...
    I came to the point where when people promise me something, I don't believe them and rule it out of my head. If they do, I am actually suprised...

    I have spent my whole life trying to keep everyone at a comfortable distance, yet I realize that it makes me lonely. I have been thinking about the possibility of finding one person to get close to, but I won't go around looking for friends, or whatever.

    It may sounds weird to many people, but the truth is I don't open up to anyone, at least, I don't think I do. I decide what to throw out there, and I consider it a "public information" that has a certain goal.

    I fit Adam's statement of low Fe, and my Te is bad. Very bad. : P
    If you are ILI, as I think you might be, then your Te is very, very good. It might be overwhelmed by Ni, though. Ni tends to say, "Of the many possibilities I've seen, THIS is the one, most likely outcome." And if that one, most strongly-affecting outcome was bad, then your rational Te is going to be looking for the components of those multiple combinations of events which could lead to that outcome.

    I tend to catastrophize when I've previously seen events lead to bad outcomes, especially if I've seen this happen multiple times. It is a failure to really closely analyze the unique details of the events leading to the outcome I'm anticipating. This is actually why I'm driven to find out the fundamentals of situations. Which things are relevant, which can be safely ignored? It makes prediction much more accurate.

    A silly example of this would be a person who discovers that their car won't start. Do they check for fuel or spark? No. Previously, every time they've washed the car, it seemed to run better, so they go get a bucket of soapy water and a sponge.

  6. #6
    silke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    If anything I've found this to be related to the person having PPD, paranoid personality disorder, which I have seen with people who were "positivist" types in socionics. Perhaps "negativist" types are more susceptible to it but this does not affect them exclusively: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parano...ality_disorder

  7. #7
    Rebelondeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have known people of every type with very negative attitudes, which are likely experience related. Now Ips tend to be the more suspicious of the intentions of others followed closely by Ejs. Ijs seem a little more trusting than Ejs but often don't trust their own judgements and this may appear as if it's directed at others. Eps seem to be the most open types and some equate openness to trust - or perhaps naivety. I have also known many versions of all types who do trust others and are trustworthy.

    a.k.a. I/O

  8. #8
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    TIM
    LSI-Se
    Posts
    771
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Soul View Post
    Are negativist types more prone to having trust issues as compared to positivist types?

    I've been close to certain negativist types such as ESIs and SLEs and I noticed both these types can be very guarded and emotionally closed off and have difficulty letting people in.
    They seemed to place a huge value on loyalty and when someone wronged them, they just totally stopped trusting people altogether.
    Both these types are negativist types, so it makes me wonder if negativist types are more prone to having trust issues?

    I'm a positivist type and I can get trust issues too but my trust issues isn't as bad as negativist types. If someone wronged me, I'll write that person off, but I'll continue to befriend other people around me hoping that I'll encounter a trustworthy person. I wouldn't just totally stop trusting people altogether.
    It's been said that negativism and positivism aren't pessimism and optimism. But there's a damn strong correlation.

    Also note this: trusting people are people who are good at determining who is trustworthy.
    "There is no becoming, no revolution, no struggle, no path; already you're the monarch of your own skin--your inviolable freedom waits to be completed only by the love of other monarchs: a politics of dream, urgent as the blueness of sky." --HB

  9. #9
    Bertrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,537
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post

    Also note this: trusting people are people who are good at determining who is trustworthy.
    yes I think this is brilliant

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,854
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    there are no negativist types
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  11. #11
    Hermit Soul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    TIM
    Ni Land
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    there are no negativist types
    I mean types that are on the negativist dichotomy.
    http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/dichotomies/r3t3

    Since negativists are prone to viewing the glass as half-empty, it makes me wonder if they are also more prone to having trust issues, since they are more inclined to notice the negative traits in people they interact with.

  12. #12
    Avebury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    TIM
    LIE/ENTj
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I sense accusations of heresy coming along....

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,230
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    dunno, I just go with my gut as the saying goes. You don't overthink something like trust. Your own ego + certain imbalanced emotions can cloud things, but it boils down to what you sense in the moment. Always pay attention to the inner banshee that screams HE'S A FUCKING SERIAL KILLER PSYCHO, RUN AWAY YOU NAIVE BECKY!!!!11 Friends can betray, enemies can do something surprisingly good for you. Though I trust/know from personal experience friends will betray a lot more often than enemies doing something good haha.

    It isn't really as neatly categorized as 'this person is trustworthy' and 'this person is not' it is a complicated system, depending on the topic/circumstance etc.

    Not to sound like Oprah, (or maybe I exactly what to sound like her) but the most important person to trust is always yourself. (the audience claps) This is a life long process for me. I can be my own anchor, my own best friend when I need to be. This is really dark but very possible- everybody else in the world really can abandon you, besides yourself. And so you are left with no other choice than to die, or be kind to yourself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •