Thread: What information element is 'personal space'?

TIM
    ILE-H
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What information element is 'personal space'?

Is personal space "Si" [] or "Fi" []
    Last edited by HolyKnowing; 07-07-2018 at 05:52 AM. Reason: I needed to capitalize the smilies apparently

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really really depends what you mean by it, and what attitude is being implied towards those words.

Assuming you mean, needing an area uninterrupted that serves as a buffer for the world around them, allowing them to relax... I'd say it's likely an introverted Static type that would need it the most. The se variant probably a bit more tolerant of others being in there space, and also more conscientious about being in others personal bubble and the ne ego, vice versa.

For extra note, personally (ni dynamic introvert), I need personal time but don't need personal space to relax. Someone could be sitting on my chest and as long as they don't talk to me, ill be good. But someone calling me, I could be alone and I'll still get exhausted like I'm in public.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a giant personal bubble, but this is heavily culturally influenced.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just like golden said, it depends on upbringing too. People here constantly hug and kiss each other like it's some high-class mafia meeting. I kinda developed a wicked touch-y sense of humor centered around this culture.

For example, I constantly lean into my friends' ears and whisper weird stuff, or pat them on the back constantly. I guess it's my way of saying "What, you don't like bEING THIS INTIMATE?" I like it.
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I have more personal space for other people than I do myself

I let others lead me because I have no space awareness lol

TIM
    ESI 693 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If personal space is IM-related, my best guess would be it's with with Fi-base and Si-demonstrative (ESI).

Sort of like, yes I'm going to keep things to myself and personal (Fi), no I'm not going to comfort you with my physical presence untill you absolutely need it (Si).

Edit: thinking of an ESI I know well~

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

introversion may correlate with the wish to keep the space more

the distance as objective physical trait relates to Se

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both, depending. Essentially (wanting to preserve) emotional space = Fi, (wanting to preserve) physical space = Si.

In practice though, ESEs can be pretty invasive physically so arguably it's more Fi, or SLI-ish. Of course culture plays a big role too.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si is the bubble.

Fi is just the idea of the bubble.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'd say .

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Both, depending. Essentially (wanting to preserve) emotional space = Fi, (wanting to preserve) physical space = Si.
    I agree with your statement. My perception is the same.