Thread: Perspective on Demonstrative Function

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Perspective on Demonstrative Function

I have begin to think that Demonstrative function really is more like a "creative" function as Gulenko has suggested than we traditionally recognize here. The demonstrative function is a 4D function, like your base, but it is primarily reactive. It is part of your strongest mental chain, as It and your base function essentially completely provide for your dual's weakness on these aspects.

I have spent a great deal of time analyzing myself (ILI), My father and another very close friend (SLE), several of my male and female friends (SEE, LIE) and my current girlfriend (IEI) to see these effects in action and I'd like to explain. I have noticed, especially with SLE's for example, that they can not be told how to be efficient at anything. You could offer advice if they know literally nothing, but general Te advice gets an arrogant shrug. At first this bothered me, but then I began to realize, as ILI, I do EXACTLY the same thing, but only when people try to over-explain or point out their flawed understanding of something. I have always maintained that I do not require anyone's help to understand something, and in general my ability in this regard is quite high. Occasionally I am wrong of course, but not often and NEVER in important areas (at least in my judgement). I always feel an uneasiness when I don't understand something that I have deemed important, but I do not feel this is anyones job to handle but my own. I expect and want no help here. I believe that is because my dual could never help me here anyway and subconsciously relies on me to do so.

I've noticed people always act as though the two ego functions are the strongest, but I truly think the second function (currently called Creative) is more like a manipulative function designed to push through the holes or avenues you see as static or unchangeable in the demonstrative. In my case I think Te is used to find approaches, GIVEN the understanding I possess. It can not contradict that understanding. Reinin called the Creative function the Zone of Risk, and I think that is a much better name, because you do not really care if you fail on this front. I think in my case, the manipulative Te is designed to hit my dual in their zone of problems while only proposing Te methods filtered through Ti, which they severely lack in.

On the reverse I think SEEs do the same with Fe for me. I suspect that SEEs have some of the strongest momentary emotions (Fe), and combined with Se as the strongest functions I suspect leads to an inclination to think that the way they are feeling is the most important, and they exert that pressure on the environment.

Anyways what I've begun to think is that the two strongest functions are what really identify a type and not the two ego functions. For ILI I think this means Ni-Ti, the recognition development of logical systems over time. Thus the whole "predicting people's actions" ability. Makes more sense this way. Also the reason Quasi-identicals are so similar and have mistypes.

In the LIE for example I have noticed the guys I know are literally genius at seeing and using opportunities (Ne). My close LIE friend literally asked the dean of the law school in his first semester to be a reference on his Resume (he had spoken to her once) through email, argues relentlessly to get returns on the phone or refunds, checks literally every source for a possible externship, etc. I could go on and on, but what I have come to realize is that where people's true genius comes through is in their almost effortless use of their demonstrative function. All the LIEs I know are damn near genius at finding opportunity for gain (Te-Ne), though the ignored Ti and desire to risk their future (zone of risk Ni) leads to sometimes gambling-like results. I could see many of them becoming rich-broke-rich in their lifetime.

It is similar with SLE. Se-Te. Maximum gain from the environment. These guys don't miss an opportunity to get that $$. They manipulate through Ti (adjust understanding or even confuse others) but never forget their Money based (Te) actions. They do need Fe and all that but it is super interesting that they always seem to have superior "right off the bat" Te solutions to problems than I do. And they do not like to be questioned on Te terms. They will tell you what to do, Just do IT. The Ti exists to help them form a structure that allows them to be or become the Shot called (Se-Te).

I could go on and on. I would love to hear IEI's perception on this as I think their mechanism Ni-Fi is like development of relations over time. My girlfriend cannot be told on this respect. She knows how to keep people's positive disposition in any situation, especially if she has known them long. There is a preoccupation with being liked without being ridiculous about it. It's very interesting to me. Sh uses manipulative Fe to adjust people positively to her. She keeps SLE's attention (her best friend) by doing exactly this. Honestly the most impressive part to me about this is how weak our activating functions are and how open they are to peoples manipulation.

I suppose this could simply be considered a re-statement of the current facts, but I think the idea of the current creative function gets too much play as people's primary motivation. I think the demonstrative is much more purposeful in the psyche and deserves more attention.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear everybody's take on this subject, its very fascinating to me!

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah I think this is right, I think this particular set of vignettes obviously revolves around decisive types though, like I question a lot of LIEs "opportunities" from the judicious point of view, which is sort of the counterpart to the Ne that goes unbalanced and so forth

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demonstrative is the overruling function; it overrules your creative which then shuts off your leading function and this forces you to demonstrate your demonstrative function, with the ignoring function helping guide your demonstrative function.

Think of yourself as your ego block. In your case as an ILI that means going around and coming up with new visions and insights, then those insights are channeled to your creative function which turns them into reality (logic). The problem with this programming is that it's very limiting, you are forced into using Te logic (induction) and having to perceive 1st. But what if you need deductive logic instead? That's were the demonstrative function comes into play. It's just as strong as your leading function so it can overrule your creative function just like your leading function. And because it's 4D judgement, it gets final say of all your judgement decisions.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Rhaegar I made a thread about this recently, having had similar thoughts on the demonstrative: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ality-Addendum What do you think about it?

Awesome and super informative post you made IMO.
    [Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

It's hard to find a love through every shade of grey.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you rephrased it all very well, good job!

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good post

I'd still like to keep base+creative as defining the type. The base+creative has the most potential for conscious development. The creative is almost always present even though much weaker than the base. It slightly modifies and tunes the base but it also expresses the base.

Or the way I like to think about it: If the base operates on reality, then the creative operates on the base.

I once talked to an ILI who said that she had learned how to drive by imagining it. That's really NiTe. Imagination that works.

Often the creative can seem invisible, but when the person actually uses his skills it will show, but through the medium of the base.

I totally agree that advice in the demonstrative is annoying. I have noticed with duals that the demonstrative doesn't have to be expressed much. It just sits there as some instinct and it gives confidence and strength. I especially notice this in the presence of a dual. I'd say that it gives "stamina" or "endurance". Good for smoothing over mistakes from the dual almost in stealth mode.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A different spin: An information element assessed in isolation forms a very incomplete picture. For an INTp, the alternate information processing configuration is pseudo ESFp, which is forced to the fore when the primary configuration is having difficulty coping; this second configuration creates a different perspective and handling of the data. In your case, an observer temperament adopts a sort of explorer temperament and starts looking at facts with a broader perspective and the alternate rationalization translates the information for your data base, which in turn is re-rationalized by your primary configuration. Being affected in some way by a so-called demonstrative function is an illusion; the effects are really created by the primary's perception of the secondary's activity. An INTp never really employs true Fe, Si, Ne or Ti......

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Refreshing to finally read a thread that has some quality to it.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The way I see the demonstrative and creative are strongly linked in that the demonstrative is the source that funnels into and fuels the creative. Ni creative funneling ideas towards linearity, Si creative funneling aggression and force towards maintaining peace and order, etc.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    @Rhaegar I made a thread about this recently, having had similar thoughts on the demonstrative: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ality-Addendum What do you think about it?

Awesome and super informative post you made IMO.
    Sorry it took so long to respond. I am in school and working full time so I only log in weekly at this point. I also needed some time to read that thread.

I genuinely think that there is corresponding different strength to functions, I definitely think that demonstrative is insanely powerful, and I am literally in debate about whether I think it is stronger than the base. Because it is inflexible, whereas the base is very adjustable according to ego purposes. And creative is a full on risk-taker. Looking at your last list in that thread where you placed ->Lead->Ignoring->Demonstrative, I thought that was a super interesting thought. The unconscious power at work is harder to measure than I think I give proper awareness to. I have taken a break from socionics this week in favor of studies and need to jump back in to think about this.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    The way I see the demonstrative and creative are strongly linked in that the demonstrative is the source that funnels into and fuels the creative. Ni creative funneling ideas towards linearity, Si creative funneling aggression and force towards maintaining peace and order, etc.
    This is a super interesting perspective. I like the idea. Te is my creative, in which case I see the holes in the Ti system and exploit them through creative logic of actions. I frequently explain to people for example that, "rules only exist if there is an actual punishment for a failure to follow them." In fact I frequently test rules by creating breaking or finding loopholes in them. Ti feeds Te creativeness. Changes my idea a little bit. Thank you for the insight.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I will tend to categorize/organize things in a workable or already self-evidently true way rather than creating a new system myself (e.g. what I did with the ordering of functions in that thread). This goes both for theories & concepts as well as actual things in the world. I use facts to reconstruct and fill in explanations. I will also use logic to figure out if information is actually true or not. I automatically try to “make sense” out of facts I take in, to keep my understanding of the world stable. If I can’t understand or place the information, I’ll keep turning it around in my mind until the piece fits into the rest of the puzzle.
    [Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to understand the diagram to understand the model.

IL-
    Code:
         Subjective | Objective
                 I4 | L3 [Ego]
    Conscious    S2 | E1 [Superego]
    ----------------|-----------------
    Unconscious  L4 | I3 [Id]
                 E2 | S1 [Superid]

Key
    S/I = Sensation/Intuiton
    L/E = Logic/Ethic
    -/+ = Subjective/Objective
    # = Strength (Ordinal)
    There are a few things we need to highlight.

1. All functions are inside blocks. In other words, the functions don't work individually, they work as a pair in the blocks. This is critical.
    2. Ego/Id are equal in strength.
    3. Demonstrative function (U4) is stronger than Creative function (C3). Leading function (C4) is stronger than Ignoring function (U3).
    4. C4 is perception function in the IL- while U4 is a judgement function in the IL-.
    5. Ego is valued and id is nonvalued

Do we agree with this? This is just Model A with clear notation instead of geometric symbols, subjective/objective axis added for clarification and differentiation (as Jung called it or dimensions, as Socionics calls it) added.

If we understand this then the interaction of ego and id becomes very simple. Ego and id represent fundamentally opposite ways (-/+) of accomplishing the same task (IL). Ego is -I+L while Id is -L+I.

Sometimes intuitive logical induction (-I+L) will be the best option. Ego will win
    Sometimes intuitive logical deduction (-L+I) will be the best option. Id will win.
    Sometimes you will be indifferent between the two. Either will work and/or both will have pros & cons. In these situations you will defer to the ego because it is valued.

Go back to what I originally said,

Quote Originally Posted by domr View Post
    Demonstrative is the overruling function; it overrules your creative which then shuts off your leading function and this forces you to demonstrate your demonstrative function, with the ignoring function helping guide your demonstrative function.

Think of yourself as your ego block. In your case as an ILI that means going around and coming up with new visions and insights, then those insights are channeled to your creative function which turns them into reality (logic). The problem with this programming is that it's very limiting, you are forced into using Te logic (induction) and having to perceive 1st. But what if you need deductive logic instead? That's were the demonstrative function comes into play. It's just as strong as your leading function so it can overrule your creative function just like your leading function. And because it's 4D judgement, it gets final say of all your judgement decisions.
    Internally, I use the world alterego instead of id because it more clearly denotes the relationship between them.

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like I didn't really properly develop my auxiliary function until fairly lately around 34/35 years old, for various reasons it was held back partly by conforming to the surrounding culture. And I'm not sure how this is related, but I think it is, while this was not fully functional (fi) it seems like I was "seeking" my demonstrative (fe) in others, most of my relationships and friendships were with benefactors and semi duals. Now that i am confident in it, I am much less needy for my demonstrative in others, maybe because I am more confident to provide it to myself?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah I think that can happen if you were raised in an environment where demonstrative was constantly defeated before it could really come into itself. like if you had Si demonstrative but a Si creative parent. in some sense its going to destroy your ability to use creative function because its generally going to be opposed by its opposing attitude (Se v Si creative) from an early age, treated as somehow "wrong", and so on and so forth... I think this can happen to any function but I remember keenly realizing "wow I can do this for myself and its better than what I've been taught." sort of that moment when you realize your parents don't know it all

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so it's like incompetency in one makes incompetency in the other and security in one makes the other more secure then?
    Funny i have a feeling some semi dual's I have been with have also been looking for the demonstrative in me in a mixed up way. Very confusing.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah people naturally send out "requests" so like is LSE starts asking oh you would like this or that, in relation to food or other sensory things, they're sort of expecting Ne from the EII in that sort of childlike enthusiastic way, so they start talking about food and possibilities and so forth. if you say the same thing thing to ESI it still sounds like a request for Si, but ESI filters it through Se, thinking LSE is demanding or requesting his own Si needs be met, or something to that effect, like he wants ESI to do something related to the issue. ESI is low on Ne so isn't going to sit there and speculate, and they both start to get frustrated if the issue persists as time goes on, both thinks the other is somehow "wrong" to be acting that way etc

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    If I can’t understand or place the information, I’ll keep turning it around in my mind until the piece fits into the rest of the puzzle.

I'd call my mind as triangulating.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Troll Nr 007 Reminds me of CD cognition lol.

Mine is more like a 3D render.

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    yeah people naturally send out "requests" so like is LSE starts asking oh you would like this or that, in relation to food or other sensory things, they're sort of expecting Ne from the EII in that sort of childlike enthusiastic way, so they start talking about food and possibilities and so forth. if you say the same thing thing to ESI it still sounds like a request for Si, but ESI filters it through Se, thinking LSE is demanding or requesting his own Si needs be met, or something to that effect, like he wants ESI to do something related to the issue. ESI is low on Ne so isn't going to sit there and speculate, and they both start to get frustrated if the issue persists as time goes on, both thinks the other is somehow "wrong" to be acting that way etc
    OK, I understand. I guess I was referring to a messed up situation where Both IEE and SEI have not adequate grasp of the auxiliary functions fi and fe due to family valuing the opposite and learning to distrust themselves, and so they only have haphazard judgement of the situations around them and tend to rely on the judgement of others who use their demonstrative, the kind valued in their family of origin. And so they are drawn to one another for that demonstrative function, as well as dual seeking, and unhealthily merge to gain better judgement of situations through their partner's eyes, but as they are not developed enough psychologically to be individuals with proper psychological boundaries they are forever conflicted both within themselves (wanting to use better their real source of judiciousness and craving acceptance through trying to see from their families methods of judgement, inadequate in both and doubting themselves) and in conflict with each other as they are holding each other captive in the past as well as being a constant mirage of an unattainable ideal, making for a fiery and immature combination.
    The only way out as far as I have experienced is to develop the auxiliary by completely, and for a period of time only, "listening" to yourself. Seems like without that auxiliary function you are lost in a kind of quadra-less place and that is the entry point into your quadra, into evaluating things and people and recognizing how your quadra does it in a similar way.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    good post

I'd still like to keep base+creative as defining the type. The base+creative has the most potential for conscious development. The creative is almost always present even though much weaker than the base. It slightly modifies and tunes the base but it also expresses the base.

Or the way I like to think about it: If the base operates on reality, then the creative operates on the base.

I once talked to an ILI who said that she had learned how to drive by imagining it. That's really NiTe. Imagination that works.

Often the creative can seem invisible, but when the person actually uses his skills it will show, but through the medium of the base.

I totally agree that advice in the demonstrative is annoying. I have noticed with duals that the demonstrative doesn't have to be expressed much. It just sits there as some instinct and it gives confidence and strength. I especially notice this in the presence of a dual. I'd say that it gives "stamina" or "endurance". Good for smoothing over mistakes from the dual almost in stealth mode.
    I also have learned so many things just from imagination.
    For example, I used to have walks in my campus while I was constantly trying to deduce the formulas (that involved advanced calculus) that were presented in Magnetism class from scratch. I didn't even open the book, because the subjects became obvious after enough pondering. I learned so much doing this. I also did this to learn Electrical Circuits and Statistics. I also used the bus time to derive knowledge from imagination or find out good ways to impress someone I was interested doing a mental brainstorm of possibilities and analyzing their potential outcomes.

I think doing things mentally is a great way to save time when I am not doing something valuable, like walking in a desert place, for example.
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI hear. Through I'm very good at using Ti and use it even more than Te, I do not find much join when using it.

TIM
    LII 5w6-1w9-2w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The demonstrative is a strong function. But it contradicts the ego so it's not Creative. The naming of functions in Model A is more appropriate. For instance, as an LII, I create Ne instead of Ni. But I demonstrate Ni. So does Jung. What I mainly create is the analysis of the essence of something. Of course the Demonstrative function is also something we "create" as it's demonstrative for others, but we don't really access it clearly and it's named Demonstrative because it's not very obvious for oneself but others could see it. So I think the word "Demonstrative" is very appropriate. Another good name is Background function.

Especially, it's very obvious in xIx. You can see how Gulenko analyse visual identification with Demonstrative. His logic is based on the fact that Ne access subconscious instead of Ni. This is different from Jung.