Default "They Admitted Social Media is Programming Us"

Programming, or Destroying?

TIM
    ILE ENTp-Ti
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont give a fu** about facebook. Also, if facebook would program people into something, that would be good. Instead, it makes their brain rot.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Social media is too addictive. It's the informational equivalent of consuming pure sugar.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it a step further - to what benefit to them is it to say that it's programming us?
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's the same as internet!

As long as you're inside the Internet you're a victim

TIM
    ILE ENTp-Ti
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idontgiveaf View Post
    It's the same as internet!

As long as you're inside the Internet you're a victim
    Speak for yourself, in my part of the internet there are no memes nor movies.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by falsehope View Post
    Speak for yourself, in my part of the internet there are no memes nor movies.
    Don't act like you're a survivor. You're just being ignorant thinking you're an exception

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Take it a step further - to what benefit to them is it to say that it's programming us?
    You're assuming that there is a categorical "them" that contains all of the people who are and have been involved in the social media enterprise. There is rarely a singular, unitary "them." If you watch the video, the first guy who appears on the screen indicates that he felt bad about what they were doing, so he came out about it. If there is a benefit to the ones coming out and saying there is a problem with social media, it is to ride the wave of the truth of how social media affects people, and to save face during the revelation of these facts, so that their reputations will be cleaner than the others who continue to promote it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice now I click on the like bottom facebook has taken upon itself to assume the emotion icon I really wanted, Like a "Haha", right away instead of me manually choosing it. I didn't need a youtube video to tell me these things I figured it out years ago.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are constantly inundated w/ all sorts of things they don't need. Media saturation + marketing + FOMO culture.

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been literally incapable of using social media. At the same time I've seen people obsessed with social media go full schizo and throw things around and make a mess over insignificant things.

I think the destructive capacity of social media is double because it's designed to generate dopamine rushes and at the same time plays with the social instincts of some people who are very dependent on how others view them (and the majority of people are like that).

Social media businesses leaving Russia for the war are actually making them a favor.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This forum is social media and socionics is a mental rootkit...

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogOfDanger View Post
    This forum is social media and socionics is a mental rootkit...
    Forums and social media are very different formats, in one there's discussion boards and in the other there's personal publications where to interact, that makes a whole difference.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RBRS View Post
    Forums and social media are very different formats, in one there's discussion boards and in the other there's personal publications where to interact, that makes a whole difference.
    text, embedded videos, images & so on are all media. media is simply "the means of communication, such as radio and television, newspapers, magazines, and the internet, that reach or influence people"
    I would wager most people on this forum spend significantly more time socializing here than on facebook.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 03-22-2022 at 12:00 PM.

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

text, embedded videos, images & so on are all media. media is simply "the means of communication, such as radio and television, newspapers, magazines, and the internet, that reach or influence people"
    I would wager most people on this forum spend significantly more time socializing here than on facebook.
    Going into deeper categories there's very different forms of media; A film and a facebook post are evidently different. The channel through which X media is shared we call by different names, and forums are not equal to social media.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According your arbitrary definition forums are not social media, but when we examine the definition of the words themselves - 'social' and 'media' - we can see plainly that forums contain media and that they are places where people come to socialize, so... there's not alot more to say about that really.
    Carry onward!

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According your arbitrary definition forums are not social media, but when we examine the definition of the words themselves - 'social' and 'media' - we can see plainly that forums contain media and that they are places where people come to socialize, so... there's not alot more to say about that really.
    Carry onward!
    Words are meant to communicate meanings, etymologically analyzing every word separately will just blur the lines. If you want other definition, we can stop calling social media as "social" media and call it personal social media, and call forums extrapersonal social media, but the meaning is still the same, and that's what we're talking about in this thread if I'm correct, personal social media.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I get a dopamine hit every time I get a "Notification" here, and I like to refresh the page to see whether or not I've gotten anything.

It's still not as bad as facebook, I don't think, where everything can be shared, reacted to, and commented on.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    I'm pretty sure I get a dopamine hit every time I get a "Notification" here, and I like to refresh the page to see whether or not I've gotten anything.

It's still not as bad as facebook, I don't think, where everything can be shared, reacted to, and commented on.
    We all do.

Sometimes I freak out if it's too much and I have to take a break. Haha.