Thread: Are you guided by your values?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you guided by your values?

Did you become a doctor or a nurse to save lives or did you become stockbroker to get success? Or did you not give a shit? xd How much would you say you are guided by your values? What guides you in live?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I develop my own values at the point of 16-17 yr. Before that it was pretty much a mash of what the environment seem to value. I think I been both following them and develop them as Im going but it really help me getting past some choices. I think I am medium, too much and you become extremist and too less and you become zombie.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think just one thing drives me in life.

Not sure how to answer.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    I don't think just one thing drives me in life.

Not sure how to answer.
    Well, some are guided mostly by their values and some are guided by else. People who talk about "life puzzle" and just get everything together are probably less guided by their values and someone who make huge personal sacrifice like spending years dedicated to a singular purpose is probably more guided by their values.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post
    Well, some are guided mostly by their values and some are guided by else. People who talk about "life puzzle" and just get everything together are probably less guided by their values and someone who make huge personal sacrifice like spending years dedicated to a singular purpose is probably more guided by their values.
    Oh ok.

In that sense I am not really driven by a single purpose, no. My life is all over the place.

So I guess that answers no to your OP question, though I do have values, like personal ethics if you will, I am not driven by some big cause lol.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    Oh ok.

In that sense I am not really driven by a single purpose, no. My life is all over the place.

So I guess that answers no to your OP question, though I do have values, like personal ethics if you will, I am not driven by some big cause lol.
    I guess, that sounds very Fi suggestive of you! xd

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maslow is a good starting point for most people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow...archy_of_needs

a.k.a. I/O

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I have no values really, I do what I feel like doing. Though being an asshole is not in my best interests~

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Maslow is a good starting point for most people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow...archy_of_needs

a.k.a. I/O
    When we had that in school we concluded that perhaps the 3th and 4th should be switched. As in friends before relationships. But if this is the question, which stage do you crave at the moment?

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If I ever did live by values I'd be doing something like doing guerilla warfare against a tryannical goverment, hunting poachers of endangered animals or striking against explotative/corrupt companies. In my current situation however I do very little out of values.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

all are. in minor things, at least. not obligately global or as formal occupation
    when many people do minor things - it is significant in the sum

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i feel like whatever guides you are your values, so its one of those things you can't not be guided by, you can only be abstracted from yourself in such a way that you don't believe this is the case

people like to think of themselves as having values x but act out values y, so they invent some scheme whereby this makes some kind of sense, but its just a little scam they're selling themselves

values don't have to necessarily be some emotional commitment, they can just as easily be some rule based abstract construction or ideology. or they can just outsource their values entirely and be a tool of society, but to be willing to become such a thing in the first place is a primary value. a kind of slave morality, since it requires a master in order to direct one's life. although slavery is an ugly word, note some people are perfectly fulfilled with this arrangement, so it should not be taken as pejorative, only it is what it is. the slaves built the pyramids and no less they toil away to this day developing conceptual monuments because they save brain power on choice

Banned
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, very much so, I am guided by values.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

my value is to do what i want whenever i want. I wanna try everything and live life intensely before i die. for this i need money and i will attain it

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Values are necessary to survive. Each one of us have ethics or values. If you don't say you don't have, you are stupid nonthinking prick.
    Because if you don't have any values, you'll start killing people or just commit crimes and stuffs.
    We have values because we think. We can think, we have the capability to know what is wrong and what is right = that is common sense.

Is it right to kill an innocent human? No. = values says so.

If you don't have values then you are like the animals who just survive via instincts..

You're a human capable of having values. Don't be stupid.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idontgiveaf View Post
    Values are necessary to survive. Each one of us have ethics or values. If you don't say you don't have, you are stupid nonthinking prick.
    Because if you don't have any values, you'll start killing people or just commit crimes and stuffs.
    We have values because we think. We can think, we have the capability to know what is wrong and what is right = that is common sense.

Is it right to kill an innocent human? No. = values says so.

If you don't have values then you are like the animals who just survive via instincts..

You're a human capable of having values. Don't be stupid.
    Values arent necessary to survive. Food and shelter is. spoken like a true F type xd

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. I suppose anything anyone does could be correlated with a value. How else would you know what's worth doing and what isn't?
    good bye

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When we had that in school we concluded that perhaps the 3th and 4th should be switched. As in friends before relationships. But if this is the question, which stage do you crave at the moment?
    I looked upon belonging as an offshoot of safety whereas esteem's an offshoot of belonging - like a tree. Self-actualization could only be sustained with everything else in place unless one was a sociopath. Unfortunately, the catalyst for many relationships is physiological which trumps everything above it (pun intended) but explains some puzzling ITR cravings.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    Values arent necessary to survive. Food and shelter is. spoken like a true F type xd
    Values are needed. We all have those. Like respect, etc.. Politeness.

Like rn, you're not being an asshole by your comment that's already values.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strangeling View Post
    I don't know. I suppose anything anyone does could be correlated with a value. How else would you know what's worth doing and what isn't?
    That's my point. Values makes you a human.. That differs us from animals.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It starts with formative understanding of everything. Collecting information and deciding route based on that. I never followed the public.

I have realized that I'm walking joke of process type.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    It starts with formative understanding of everything. Collecting information and deciding route based on that. I never followed the public.

I have realized that I'm walking joke of process type.
    I guess that makes you a counter flow type. But what are your values? Being polite is not necessary a core value... Its necessary for us to live in a society. Maybe a big scale value but not necessary a personal value. Could be if you go the extra mile for it.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

what does flow/counter flow mean to you guys

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

lol this is such a Ti thread

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm guided by my ideals when I can afford to do so and want to. I usually make decisions based on those and expediency in implementing those decisions and in deciding things I don't care about. I think that's probably kind of obvious though, so I think the question might be too vague.

If the question is source of drive, no, values are not what drive me. Feeling good is what drives me. Values can be an easy way to feel good about myself. Really, fuck if I know. None of these things I'm saying feel true.
    Last edited by ouronis; 04-21-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I guess that makes you a counter flow type. But what are your values? Being polite is not necessary a core value... Its necessary for us to live in a society. Maybe a big scale value but not necessary a personal value. Could be if you go the extra mile for it.
    It just that you can't be on top of things until you know what is beneath. You are born to this world and it is a mystery to be figured out. Established values are not real values to me. You can't just shop around with them aimlessly. They have to grow on you as your experience grows.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    It just that you can't be on top of things until you know what is beneath. You are born to this world and it is a mystery to be figured out. Established values are not real values to me. You can't just shop around with them aimlessly. They have to grow on you as your experience grows.
    I guess, I still believe there are other forces that drives people than their values. Someone driven hard by their values might go blind to some other aspects of reality. Also there are religious people who do science, even when science valued people often ridicule religions, people can hold opposite values.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At one point i was guided more by my values/ ideals, which led me to some poor pragmatic decisions. Everytime the threshold between "need" and "want" was blurried ive learned to lean a bit more pragmatic nowdays. However those first big decisions i initially took based on values/ideals have tinted the rest of my choices. Im not sure how much this answers the op. @op were u thinking this is tied to socionics somehow?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The driving force behind everything I do is insecurity, probably. I'm a sucker like that, I suppose. Tell me I can't do something and I'll do it just to prove you wrong... within reason, of course. I enjoy the challenge. I don't really have any values besides not being an asshole because I've been witness to, seen, in myself and others the damage callous abuse does. It's the only thing I get real riled up about, tbh.

Otherwise, no... you never know what you'll do when the situation calls for it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Bertrand

I definitely didn't read what you said as mean spirited or critical, I just didn't think about my response that deeply. I appreciate your input.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I have aesthetic values, which I guess counts. But regular values are overrated and turn everyone into whiny Pisces INFPs.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Probably most ppl often associate "values" with good ethics, but values doesnt necessarily refers to it.

I think everyone is guided by their values but their values are different, some values are "good" some are "wrong" ethically speaking, but ppl often believe that the values they follow are good (even if they are wrong according laws or society).

So to answer to op, I do live according my values because everyone does. Even those who say "I dont live according my values because I dont have any" are doing a wrong reasoning, because their value is doing what they please or obeying whatever they want (their impulses, instincts, fears etc). If we can answer at this op, we have an individual consciousness and we can't deny or get rid of it (unless using inhibitory/conscious affecting substances or procedures). Consciousness is fundamental part of being an homo sapiens, hence values, because for something being valued a decision need to be made.

Value simply means something that is important for the person or individual. There are more/less important values. But every conscious homo sapiens live (decides and choose) according them in general basis. Even criminals, but their values are ethically twisted or wrong according the ethics of the most (society) or laws.
    Last edited by Hope; 04-23-2018 at 04:29 AM.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's interesting about values is that they more or less go against your mere biological impulses of "survival". For example, you might go on a hunger strike and starve yourself to death, even though evolutionary speaking, that's very very bad.

The objective of your genes, as in your DNA is to replicate itself, and it's like a parasite and your body is just a convenient host for the DNA to spread itself. Your genes are controlling you and your body, but we are now rebelling against this, by saying "no" to our genes and our biological impulses, because we have somehow managed to become conscious of ourselves and we've started to understand ourselves and what we are doing.

So you could say that to live according to your values, may be what you would call "free will". To not live according to your values, and just go by your mere impulses, would simply mean being controlled by your "selfish gene".

This is a very interesting concept of "the selfish gene" by Richard Dawkins.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    What's interesting about values is that they more or less go against your mere biological impulses of "survival". For example, you might go on a hunger strike and starve yourself to death, even though evolutionary speaking, that's very very bad.

The objective of your genes, as in your DNA is to replicate itself, and it's like a parasite and your body is just a convenient host for the DNA to spread itself. Your genes are controlling you and your body, but we are now rebelling against this, by saying "no" to our genes and our biological impulses, because we have somehow managed to become conscious of ourselves and we've started to understand ourselves and what we are doing.

So you could say that to live according to your values, may be what you would call "free will". To not live according to your values, and just go by your mere impulses, would simply mean being controlled by your "selfish gene".

This is a very interesting concept of "the selfish gene" by Richard Dawkins.
    ...But genes are the body. Genes get activated, deactivated, and mutate as the body changes its environment. There would also be no body without genes. It's like a hologram. Hunger strikes are as natural as cannibalizing the guy who "accidentally died" on a desert island.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Athena View Post
    ...But genes are the body. Genes get activated, deactivated, and mutate as the body changes its environment. There would also be no body without genes. It's like a hologram. Hunger strikes are as natural as cannibalizing the guy who "accidentally died" on a desert island.
    But genes are not the body, that's why they're called genes and not a body. Genes created the body, yes, so that it can replicate itself. We are just that consequence. The problem (for the gene) is that we have become too smart and somehow become self-aware, so that we could understand exactly what our genes are doing to us.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    i feel like whatever guides you are your values, so its one of those things you can't not be guided by, you can only be abstracted from yourself in such a way that you don't believe this is the case
    In a way, yes, and i see what you are saying. Yet some people take decision based solely on pragmatic reasons (like i'll pick x career because it will bring me money, rather than i pick x career because i want to work for an non profit to help abused women because it is important to me personally, etc). Like those deciding on pragmatics you could argue that that's their value, yet so often i've heard from those people that "ideallly, i'd pick x, but there's no money in it so i picked y", or some such. At least this is how i interpreted the OP's questions.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But genes are not the body, that's why they're called genes and not a body. Genes created the body, yes, so that it can replicate itself. We are just that consequence. The problem (for the gene) is that we have become too smart and somehow become self-aware, so that we could understand exactly what our genes are doing to us.
    Not really. If a cell mutates and you get a tumor, the genes of that cell have changed. You also don't have the same genes throughout your entire body. Do you know how genes work? Genes have to constantly re-create the body. Genes create amino acids, and if you weren't constantly creating new amino acids, you'd die very quickly because most parts of the body have to constantly regenerate themselves or outside processes kill them. Just look at old people for starters. Genes are the body in a holographic way. Everything in the body is reflected through genes and vice versa.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    In a way, yes, and i see what you are saying. Yet some people take decision based solely on pragmatic reasons (like i'll pick x career because it will bring me money, rather than i pick x career because i want to work for an non profit to help abused women because it is important to me personally, etc). Like those deciding on pragmatics you could argue that that's their value, yet so often i've heard from those people that "ideallly, i'd pick x, but there's no money in it so i picked y", or some such. At least this is how i interpreted the OP's questions.
    Cowardice is common. If you have more money, can't you help fund a non profit to help abused women? But people are afraid so they just hold onto their money for themselves and stop there.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Athena View Post
    Not really. If a cell mutates and you get a tumor, the genes of that cell have changed. You also don't have the same genes throughout your entire body. Do you know how genes work? Genes have to constantly re-create the body. Genes create amino acids, and if you weren't constantly creating new amino acids, you'd die very quickly because most parts of the body have to constantly regenerate themselves or outside processes kill them. Just look at old people for starters. Genes are the body in a holographic way. Everything in the body is reflected through genes and vice versa.
    So what? The genes that get replicated are in the sperm and the egg. The genes in the other cells don't really matter. What our consciousness is doing in our brain, probably don't really matter much in terms of genes.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what? The genes that get replicated are in the sperm and the egg. The genes in the other cells don't really matter. What our consciousness is doing in our brain, probably don't really matter much in terms of genes.
    It matters in terms of the genes in the brain. The sperm and egg make stem cells, but after that a lot of other things happen. You don't have the same genes throughout your entire body. You didn't even have the same genes throughout your entire body while you were in the womb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast