Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEIs-ISFps, if you could have your own business/enterprise/freelance, what would it be?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SEIs-ISFps, if you could have your own business/enterprise/freelance, what would it be?

My mother was SEI and she was a high school teacher, but she often said she wanted to run a bookstore of her own.

I thought of her recently and it made me wanna ask. Lemme know your thoughts, wishes - if you're SEI - or what you've witnessed in SEI if you're not SEI.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My barber is probably SEI and she has her own barbers shop. But it is on a back street and not very successful. It's even not that clear that there is a barbers shop behind the window, just a small sign that indicates that. She is very slow as a person.

On the popular main street in my town there is a much more successful barbers shop. Fancy signs and styled posters in the window. The owner is SEE.

I very seldom meet SEIs with a business. Like never. But some do freelancing.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The key is to actually work on their social networking abilities [aka contact collection] and there comes in combining people aspect which can be phenomenal when actualized. It is rare but sometimes you might encounter SEI doing that (as her primary profession) very well. This differs from IEI ways where they move themselves towards the goal in similar networking fashion.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fake news

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did freelancing as a translator. But not full-time

If i'd have to live on it only it would be more difficult.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    Fake news
    I don't understand?

@Tallmo. Freelancing as translator sounds like fun. I can see SEI completely capable doing something like that. I'm also not entirely sold that SEI are less likely than other types to start their own thing. They are perfectly capable in my eyes.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SEI imagining the perfect business:

SEI's reality:

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I don't understand?

@Tallmo. Freelancing as translator sounds like fun. I can see SEI completely capable doing something like that. I'm also not entirely sold that SEI are less likely than other types to start their own thing. They are perfectly capable in my eyes.
    I found it boring, because I don't really like translating. I was pretty good though, but it's draining. I also hate negotiating prices. SEIs are less capable than other types in business, that's pretty clear. Socionics even shows us why, theoretically. You find lots of LSE, LSI etc as small business owners but SEI is much less common. I know they exist, but they are rarer than other types.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I found it boring, because I don't really like translating. I was pretty good though, but it's draining. I also hate negotiating prices. SEIs are less capable than other types in business, that's pretty clear. Socionics even shows us why, theoretically. You find lots of LSE, LSI etc as small business owners but SEI is much less common. I know they exist, but they are rarer than other types.
    What was boring about it lol? I did freelance translating some time ago and I was affiliated with an agency so i didn't have to negotiate any prices myself. But yeah, otherwise I agree there isn't much Ne in it, you have to be very meticulous.

I dunno, i had seen a few seasons of Apprentice UK and quite a few SEIs in there among the candidates, so maybe it's a matter of finding the right kind of activity that appeals to SEI. SEI can be hyper critical about what appeals to them, like very picky imo.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was boring about it lol? I did freelance translating some time ago and I was affiliated with an agency so i didn't have to negotiate any prices myself. But yeah, otherwise I agree there isn't much Ne in it, you have to be very meticulous.
    If Ego functions cannot be used then work usually feels boring. Its difficult to give any other reason. The translators I know are usually either intuitives or logical types.

I've talked to other SEI translators and they don't really like their job either. And the reason SEI is picky about the job is because they happen to have Ego functions that are hard to put to use in society. They are not more picky than other types, really. Its just that it's more difficult to find a job that matches their Ego. That's what all types are trying to do.

I currently work in a low-status job as a painter, and it gives me much more satisfaction, mentally, because there is actually constant use for Si, and that's rare in other jobs.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I know of an SEI who runs his own restaurant. He was married to a relative of mine and moved to the south of France to start his business when they divorced. I don't know if he's happy because I never see him but he hasn't quit the resaturant or sold it off so I'm guessing he enjoys it.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    I know of an SEI who runs his own restaurant. He was married to a relative of mine and moved to the south of France to start his business when they divorced. I don't know if he's happy because I never see him but he hasn't quit the resaturant or sold it off so I'm guessing he enjoys it.
    That's excellent actually. They'd prolly do good in those super-fresh slow-food movement restaurants. It almost sounds stereotypical but it's a good reminder.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's excellent actually. They'd prolly do good in those super-fresh slow-food movement restaurants. It almost sounds stereotypical but it's a good reminder.
    I've not heard of those. What are they?

I dunno what type of restaurant he runs, I'm guessing Italian food since he's Italian lol.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    I've not heard of those. What are they?

I dunno what type of restaurant he runs, I'm guessing Italian food since he's Italian lol.
    Just like the restaurants where you serve food from ingredients that grow locally, that kind of stuff

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just like the restaurants where you serve food from ingredients that grow locally, that kind of stuff
    Oh right...maybe that's what he does, I'll have to ask if I get the chance.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't understand?

Cuz sei have te polr hurdur

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was younger, before I knew anything about socionics, I wanted to have a bakery.

I didn't know how to bake though. Still don't.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phoebe Cates is probably SEI and she started a clothes/other stuff store:

Lots of Ne valuing there.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some I've met: SEI farm-animal vet who had an SEI assistant; a floral arrangement designer/store manager who now runs a home for handicapped adults; a paramedic who now suffers from PTSD; and a national park ranger who has since retired after many years of service.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    When I was younger, before I knew anything about socionics, I wanted to have a bakery.

I didn't know how to bake though. Still don't.
    I worked in a bakery for a little bit.

The owner (LIE) wasn't the main baker, he did bake some of the bread though.

What I heard from a colleague was that she had worked in bakeries that didn't even bake anything themselves. I heard from someone else that it's common.

Also, you can learn if you really want to.

TIM
    SEI 461 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be cool to own an alternative-style clothing store. I've also wanted to own a coffee shop or bakery.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

a familiar SEI worked in a flowers shop and sold bouquets made by her
    quiet manual work with aesthetics. I suppose she liked that

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever business an SEI starts, they should always do it with someone who deals with the administrative and commercial aspects of the undertaking, for two reasons: first of all SEIs generally aren't motivated on these aspects, and secondly because they simple suck at these matters.

But more generally, SEIs are better off being employees than entrepreneurs. The fact that LIEs are their conflictors, should say enough.

My GF told me several times she would love to start a business if I would deal with the administrative side, so she can just focus on production. Problem I see here is that she only produces when she's motivated, without any motivation there will be no production. Not even the prospect of making a lot of money (a prospect that isn't really there in the first place), will make her shift gears...
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had access to start-up funds, I'd look into owning an art gallery/night owl cafe, a science & nature themed gift shop, a planetarium/(public) Observatory, or a high end lingerie boutique (without the toys). I'd also look into business sales relations with a certain 3rd world country that has awesome talent which stays local and poor and would see about giving their cultural wares a market in the USA. I won't say what but aesthetics is a theme. My hope would be to help prosper rather than exploit the area.

Ideally, I'd find the right building to pool it altogether as one gallery cafe observatory that caters to an evening and night owl crowd. Juices & coffees all around! As I get bored with one aspect of the business there would be plenty enough to create or refine again at another aspect. I'd hire people for gallery sales, cafe sales, administrative paperwork etc. I am naturally more interested in curation and concepts - like a private FOR profit aesthetic museum experience of sorts. Oh, and most of the fine art would be only highest quality local works in mostly contemporary genres. My cafe customers would be highly encouraged to bring books, laptops, study ideas etc. & network. I'd include select music sales too and play it there like certain electronic and folk artists who needed more exposure... The theme overall is AESTHETIC INSPIRATIONS.

Hair salon? Never. How boring.
    Last edited by vesstheastralsilky; 11-13-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fwiw, the freelance work I have done has been extremely low pay compared to its worth or just volunteered. The work was done in the visual arts, math tutoring, reading tutoring, and writing arts/entertainment product reviews.

Professionally, I am tired of having done work and making decisions that enabled my past employers to make thousands up through millions on my efforts yet in return I am treated mostly like temp project labour who gets barely or not enough to live on just because I seem like a "nice person" who should expect someone else to support me regardless of my talents. It is unfair how there is no opportunity for someone like me to start my own business because I am too poor to start. My present employment is chosen based on what is most lucrative rather than naturally suiting all my dominant preferences because I have too many bills. The job market in the USA is very unkind to Fe types wrt opportunity pay and conditions. Too many talents are overrewarded by aggressive negotiation types and the rest suffer for it or find their innate talents constantly overlooked or marginalized in society.
    ~* astralsilky

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two SEIs in my romantic past who are freelance artists too.

I know another one who is an IT engineer and has a small business related to that with their ILE spouse.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've known a few that wanted to work in bookstores (like I wanted to) - but even more that wanted to be pastry chefs.

*@k0pyk randomly appears in a puff of campy black smoke* k0pyk: See bnd? even more proof your stupid gay-ass is a SEI and not a goddamn IEI! Just admit the truth!!!!

But like a LSE told me once, bookstores are a dying thing as most people use the internet for their reading material. It's a very Te polr thing to do, but us IEI/SEIs still want to do it. =D

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    But like a LSE told me once, bookstores are a dying thing as most people use the internet for their reading material. It's a very Te polr thing to do, but us IEI/SEIs still want to do it. =D
    I used to frequent bookstores a ton. If only perhaps our types could only touch our activity and or dual partners instead ...
    ~* astralsilky

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Probably being a mother is one of the favourite occupation for SEIs.My SEI aunt had like 7 kids. She studied politics but never worked. I think she chose that career because her husband was intonpolitics too. I know another one who studied graphic design and wanted to make her own brand of cute characters to sell products but failed because they were too boring (she wasnt pretty imaginative). Then she started doing cakes and cupcakes, her product looked really good, but her prices were too expensive, I imagine she didnt had success, last time I saw her she was working as waitress in at a restaurant. I know an SEI male who was into acting but then started traveling and last time I saw him was into partying hard and working as photographer.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm going to open up a chicken petting zoo.

hee hee
    ~* astralsilky

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vesstheastralsilky View Post
    I think I'm going to open up a chicken petting zoo.

hee hee

41DwFu63wpL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    HTB1kXs9KpXXXXXkXXXXq6xXFXXXF.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOT View Post
    Probably being a mother is one of the favourite occupation for SEIs.My SEI aunt had like 7 kids. She studied politics but never worked. I think she chose that career because her husband was intonpolitics too. I know another one who studied graphic design and wanted to make her own brand of cute characters to sell products but failed because they were too boring (she wasnt pretty imaginative). Then she started doing cakes and cupcakes, her product looked really good, but her prices were too expensive, I imagine she didnt had success, last time I saw her she was working as waitress in at a restaurant. I know an SEI male who was into acting but then started traveling and last time I saw him was into partying hard and working as photographer.
    Why i always end up with iei

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~* astralsilky

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive always wanted to own my own tea shop or flower store. or maybe smth like a small indoor garden cafe

one of my more closer reaching dreams however is to have my own massage therapy practice

run at home

but i also wanna hold like a sort of art gallery in the waiting room starring work by yours truly
    (and also stuff from the locals ofc hehe)

im dumb w numbers though so that might take awhile
    “You are a little soul carrying around a corpse.”
    - Epictetus

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Bringing this back to hear more from SEI...

Is there something to wanting to find your own niche, cater to a certain clientele. How about bespoke items - made to measure?

If you did start a business how comfortable would you feel using things like instagram - this seems to be a way to appeal to a target audience. Curated visuals
    Would you prefer that someone else handle the advertising and be the "face" of your business, or is that something you could enjoy at your own pace?
    I am a bit of the odd one out but, I would really hate to own my own business or advertise it, even if I had employees doing it. Especially if it involved anything creative. If it involve creative work for someone else, I don't mind (unless they get very picky with me).

I am really good at makeup and I've had people encourage me to make YouTube videos or do makeup artistry on the side for people. I can crochet and I am good at it and I've had people encourage me to start a business with that. I just really hate the thought of taking my creative hobbies that I enjoy on my own and make it a serious way of making money. That would kill my passion very quickly and I would probably end up hating what I am doing. I am not motivated for myself to do that either.

If it was for someone else, I would love to help. I would rather help someone who is passionate about their business and I see and agree with the vision too. I can be creative or game plan without it killing my own private passions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I use to want to open a bakery when I was younger but that was quickly scratched when I realized I’m not interested in food and culinary that much.

though I’ve been imagining me being a well-known singer/dancer which sounds perfect for me because it’s creative, independent and I can make up my own stuff. I would wear a signature mask or something to cover up so my actual self is seperate from my artist identity. I would hate to be recognized and approached irl while being an artist.

As for the question above: i would absolutely hate to use any type of social media to promote myself because I don’t like social media in general and don’t want to deal with the stress of trying to figure out how to appeal to people. I would probably let someone else do it and be the face of me.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be the next Elon Musk obvs

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in high school, I ran an illicit side hustle selling baked goods for my classmates. I would charge $5 for a batch of whatever they wanted. I baked my math teacher an apple pie for pi day and charged him $10 for it. I was averaging $50 a week in profits which was actually a lot of $$ for me at the time. I had my step dad buy all of the ingredients for me so there were no input costs on my end (other than my own free time I guess). A school administrator caught on to what I was doing and shut me down because I didn’t have a permit.

I tried moving my business to the parking lot, but it wasn’t the same. Without the daily reminder of seeing me carrying around and handing out baked goods, people forgot about my cookies, and my business quickly died out.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    When I was in high school, I ran an illicit side hustle selling baked goods for my classmates. I would charge $5 for a batch of whatever they wanted. I baked my math teacher an apple pie for pi day and charged him $10 for it. I was averaging $50 a week in profits which was actually a lot of $$ for me at the time. I had my step dad buy all of the ingredients for me so there were no input costs on my end (other than my own free time I guess). A school administrator caught on to what I was doing and shut me down because I didn’t have a permit.

I tried moving my business to the parking lot, but it wasn’t the same. Without the daily reminder of seeing me carrying around and handing out baked goods, people forgot about my cookies, and my business quickly died out.
    School administrators are petty tyrants. I've always instinctually hated those sorts of people.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    School administrators are petty tyrants. I've always instinctually hated those sorts of people.

Idk I don’t want to generalize like that. I’m sure most are just trying to do their jobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast