Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Follow Your Dreams"

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO YOUR HEART'S DESIRES DAMN YOU!!??

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by entelecheia View Post
    ...Have you even read the rest of the thread? Never mind that, have you even read this post? Most people's ideas of "dreams" don't sound very appealing and following them just sounds like needless suffering.
    Their life, their problem to fix, unless it affects you directly. Most advice is unproductive.

They sound like the cliched fantasies of world-weary people who are just looking to rest and not something that's even possible to fully pleasantly imagine, much less live. "I'll go to the mountains and make bumper stickers for the rest of my life!" OK, so you imagine a few sequences of making bumper stickers, then your death ("the rest of your life,") then you just get hung up on that because death is interesting and making bumper stickers is repetitive.
    I imagine you met a hippy with rather eccentric vacation plans.

The truth is that most people do not have lofty ambitions, and they are quite happy once their basic needs are met.

Sounds like someone who's tired of life to me. My "passion" if anything is to grow and develop myself. If that means making some bumper stickers, great. But a life of just that is the kind of thing that can be replaced by robots. The whole needs to be more than the sum of its parts, and to do that, first it needs to actually have parts.
    In the present climate, I can sympathize with people who want to withdraw from the world. But you cannot shut it out forever. Ultimately, if you are unhappy about something you can do one of three things: accept it, try to change it, or create an alternative to it.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuivienen View Post
    Their life, their problem to fix, unless it affects you directly. Most advice is unproductive.

I imagine you met a hippy with rather eccentric vacation plans.

The truth is that most people do not have lofty ambitions, and they are quite happy once their basic needs are met.

In the present climate, I can sympathize with people who want to withdraw from the world. But you cannot shut it out forever. Ultimately, if you are unhappy about something you can do one of three things: accept it, try to change it, or create an alternative to it.
    Yeah this is just a bunch of monologuing without reading LOL. The bumper sticker thing can stand in for any "passion" even if you don't like it. Like imagine teaching for the rest of your life, or managing a business for the rest of your life, or playing an instrument for the rest of your life, and not doing anything else because "it's not my passion, waaaaaaaah."

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never needed anybody to tell me to follow my dreams. I always aim for the best no matter what other people think, or how they criticize me for it. Haters gonna hate.

If you really want people to follow their dreams you don't tell them some catchphrase, you show them an example of someone who did it and made it. That's the most inspirational thing, like to see how Einstein came up with relativity...if he could do it why can't I?

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    * pastes eggplant emoji onto pic*

Sorry that color hasn't been invented yet. It's good enough for Marcel Duchamp to copy anyways. I never thought you could make the world's worst statue worse.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry that color hasn't been invented yet. It's good enough for Marcel Duchamp to copy anyways. I never thought you could make the world's worst statue worse.
    ;_; Dreams do come true

*climbs on and carves "Wyrd" on the side of the eggplant*

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah this is just a bunch of monologuing without reading LOL. The bumper sticker thing can stand in for any "passion" even if you don't like it. Like imagine teaching for the rest of your life, or managing a business for the rest of your life, or playing an instrument for the rest of your life, and not doing anything else because "it's not my passion, waaaaaaaah."
    Such an inflexible lifestyle would soon bore me, for sure. But what exactly are you trying to argue? That we shouldn't put all of our eggs in one basket? That many passions aren't of much use to society? That not enough of us strive to be exceptional? If so, what should we/they do about it? If your position is that people can't change their situation because they're just too ignorant, uninspired or whatever else, then why bother to discuss this topic at all?

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another awful cliché: Having a favorite color. Anyone who thinks they have a favorite color should be forced to look at nothing but that color until they go absolutely mad and beg to see other colors again. Having a favorite color is ill-advised.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You have to try to achieve something you want in life, otherwise, what's the point? Yeah, we often have to make concessions and settle for less, because that's reality, but we still have to try. People who really care about you will not completely crap on your dreams, because those are part of who you are.

Who honestly tells themselves at the beginning of life, "I'd really like to do a boring job I care nothing about so that I can buy a house to sleep in so I can do the same thing again tomorrow for the next 40 years so I can crap myself to death in a nursing home and remember all the time I wasted." No one does that. It's as dumb as unrealistic dreams and ensures that, even though you might subsist, you'll probably never really live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12