Thread: Meister Eckhart

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Meister Eckhart

Medieval German mystic that influenced Jung and helped to develop what is now called "esoteric Christianity"

"The eye with which I see God is the same with which God sees me. My eye and God's eye is one eye, and one sight, and one knowledge, and one love."

"We are all meant to be mothers of God, for God is always needing to be born."

"A quiet mind is one which nothing weighs on, nothing worries, which, free from ties and from all self-seeking, is wholly merged into the will of God and dead to its own."

"Meister Eckhart's theology knows a "Godhead" of which no qualities, except unity and being, can be predicated; it "is becoming," it is not yet Lord of itself, and it represents an absolute coincidence of opposites: "But its simple nature is of forms formless; of becoming becomingless; of beings beingless; of things thingless," etc. Union of opposites is equivalent to unconsciousness, so far as human logic goes, for consciousness presupposes a differentiation into subject and object and a relation between them." - Jung, quoting Eckhart

IEI-Ni?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

are we typing the quotes or the man

needs more context

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    are we typing the quotes or the man

needs more context
    Very well.

This is a somewhat academic overview of his ideas:
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/meister-eckhart/

His wikipedia article gives a vague overview of his life:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meister_Eckhart

The first link is more revealing.,

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

excellent thank you for the links, for what its worth I think this philosophy is hard to comprehend let alone type, but a surface appraisal would definitely be some kind of humanitarian. He gave sermons, albiet supposedly weird ones, which seems Fe. and was about "suffering and detachment" which sounds Ni

I always get him and Maimonides mixed up, but looking back is its clear Maimonides is more logical with Eckhart more existential (ethical)

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always get him and Maimonides mixed up, but looking back is its clear Maimonides is more logical with Eckhart more existential (ethical)
    But they aren't even the same religion

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol! true

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol! true
    The names also sound about as different as it gets

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

also true!

Banned
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scribed through him in my early, early preteens.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eckhart is definitely interesting. I think IEI-Ni is pretty accurate.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow I have never heard of him I'm confused

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not familiar with this Meister Echart, but I am skeptical towards the IEI typing

If what he is talking about is phenomenological psychology expressed in religious terms (as it sounds as), then he could very well be LII

Some wise men are able to get it touch with life and the core of existence regardless of type. But then there is often a need of a logical-intuitive type to sum it all up and put it to words. LII is often a good type for that.

Just something to consider
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I am not familiar with this Meister Echart, but I am skeptical towards the IEI typing

If what he is talking about is phenomenological psychology expressed in religious terms (as it sounds as), then he could very well be LII

Some wise men are able to get it touch with life and the core of existence regardless of type. But then there is often a need of a logical-intuitive type to sum it all up and put it to words. LII is often a good type for that.

Just something to consider
    This is interesting, i usually associate phenomenology with alpha too. Do you associate it strictly with LII or alpha NT more generally? Just curious. I'm not getting any definite impressions from what has been said so far type-wise.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    This is interesting, i usually associate phenomenology with alpha too. Do you associate it strictly with LII or alpha NT more generally? Just curious. I'm not getting any definite impressions from what has been said so far type-wise.
    More with LII.

LII seems to be looking for solid ground for their thinking, and the psyche itself can be such ground.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I love phenomenology!

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    More with LII.

LII seems to be looking for solid ground for their thinking, and the psyche itself can be such ground.
    I see, thanks for clarifying. So are you settled on Martin Heidegger being LII then? I still have doubts lol

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I see, thanks for clarifying. So are you settled on Martin Heidegger being LII then? I still have doubts lol
    It was a long time since I learned about him. But yes LII is my guess. He also seemed LII in video. Anyway, any sensing typing of him feels absurd to me.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping an interesting thread. What do you people think of Plotinus, then? IEI-Ni as well? Seems about right. Could also be a crazy EIE (seems kinda Si-PoLR with his total discordance with his own body)