Thread: Assorted socionics examples

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Assorted socionics examples

I often come across examples of types, IM elements, or relationships in the news that are interesting yet aren't enough to merit a whole thread. So, I will post them here.

link (big pdf)

Here, a Russian math teacher named Zvonkin describes his experience in teaching children. He seems like an IEE or maybe some other Ne valuing extrovert. "If I taught kids anything at all, it was the idea that they should experience their world with openness and interest."
    Not surprising, he says about his wife: "Usually Alla drew pictures for our sessions. I cannot draw at all, while she once attended art school." (Si)

He also describes the boys' personalities:

"They toss out a flurry of wild guesses. Each shouts a different guess,
    only Gene’s being the right one. I try to listen to him and to ask why but at
    this moment he retreats. His problem in general is that he is timid. When
    all the boys holler, he is the one who shouts the correct answer more often
    than others do; but the moment I calm the others and address him directly,
    he is embarrassed and falls silent. My problem with Andy is of a different
    sort. He is a very goal-oriented boy yet apparently lacks motivation at our
    lessons. Next time, I camouflaged the same puzzle as a war scene: instead
    of matches and buttons, we had soldiers with guns, then the soldiers went
    away leaving their guns behind, and the spy had to learn the number of
    soldiers, and it was he who first got the idea to count guns. He also loves
    games where one can win. But I don’t always have enough imagination to
    package my puzzles appropriately, especially since it’s not that important
    for the other boys. As for Dima, he does not fancy solving other people’s
    puzzles but prefers to invent his own. Eventually I learn how to handle him:
    I say something like, “Now think of a puzzle where. . . ” and then give my
    own formulation. Also, his solutions are often oddly fanciful (as the next
    example vividly illustrates) and it is difficult to hold him within the limits
    of common sense."

Andy: Se leading?
    Dima: IEI?
    Gene: LII?

He tries very hard to tailor the instruction to the individual child.

Another funny quote about Dima:
    "“This one is an uncle but it looks like a lady,” he would
    say, pointing to a picture of a bearded old man, and place it in the women’s
    pile. He would say that a tire was a piece of clothes because you could put
    it around your waist. When contradicted, he would explain that it was a
    car’s clothes."

Typical example of Te vulnerable / Fe creative

"Thus I have come to realize that kids must have fun in both intellectual
    and aesthetic ways. If one is missing, there is no joy. A Christmas tree
    without ornaments is as unappealing as are mere ornaments without a tree.
    The joy is in their union. I hope that one day, when my pupils are engaged in
    more abstract and “intellectual” mathematics, they will enjoy it more than
    their peers, because abstract notions and images will subconsciously blend
    with a “Christmas tree feeling;” the memories of brightly colored puzzles
    from their childhood."

Hmm...maybe Alpha extrovert is better for Zvonkin. One kind of fun is Fe/Si, the other is Ti/Ne.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

place photos

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    place photos
    And video. Always gotta have dat video.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    And video. Always gotta have dat video.
    If I find instructive videos I'll post them.
    @Sol can make another thread for photos (which have essentially no instructive content).

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Sol can make another thread for photos
    Photos are useful in this thread to easier orient in people you are talking about. When you have them. If video has a face it's same.
    Also the text about every person should to have a title, better in bold text for the same purpose.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_R._Truman

This guy is quite a character - refused to move away from an active volcano that was about to blow.
    Almost certainly Se leading or something like that, probably a complete failure of Ni.

"audacious and independent"
    "In the Mount St. Helens area, Truman garnered notoriety for his antics, once getting a forest ranger drunk so that he could burn a pile of brush.[1] He illegally poached, stole gravel from the National Park Service, and fished on Native American land with a fake game warden badge. Despite their knowledge of these criminal activities, local rangers failed to catch him in the act. After the Washington state government passed a change to the state sales tax, Truman kept charging the same price. When a customer who worked at a tax agency renting a boat refused to pay his tax rate, Truman pushed him into Spirit Lake."
    "He loved discussing politics and reportedly hated Republicans, along with hippies, young children, and especially old people."
    ""If the mountain goes, I'm going with it. This area is heavily timbered, Spirit Lake is in between me and the mountain, and the mountain is a mile away, the mountain ain't gonna hurt me.""
    "his fiery attitude, brash speech, love of the outdoors, and fierce independence [...] made him a folk hero the media could adore."
    "was not only a fast talker but loud. He had an opinion on all subjects and a definite one." (Ti? Mostly seems SEE though.)

He was buried under 150 feet of volcanic debris, his body was never found.

Banned
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truman would invite the media into his whitehouse bedroom. He started the West Wing I think and media conferences, as they werent a thing yet?

Anywho, I like the way he sounds, very magnetic and I enjoy that kind of magnetism. Sorry Im not commandering your thread. cary on.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great...-passion-math/

Seems ILE: miles-long career jump, love of simple underlying ideas, distractible: "ball of frenetic energy. Pacing around the office, he spoke at a rapid-fire clip, gesticulating, jumping from subject to subject, seemingly unable to resist the urge to detour down every conversational cul-de-sac."

“Music, art, poetry, and mathematics—these have the feeling of mysticism and religion to me,” he said. “It’s more than just something you do or something you’re good at. These are things that to me are fundamentally as important as something could possibly be.” To Schneider, these are the tools we use as humans to unlock the mysteries of the universe. “We have ideas [Ne] and feelings we want to communicate with each other [Fe]. The formulation of our thoughts to each other is—aside from physical needs like survival—the fundamental thing that humans do. So, to me, these pure forms of expressing various types of ideas we have inside us is not a shallow pursuit. It is the deep pursuit.”

Doesn't get much more Alpha than that. Notice how he sweeps everything else like conflict, economics, practicality, etc. under "physical needs" (Si)

It's funny, ILEs can be deeply philosophical like this (e.g. Aushra or Einstein) or more into just solving technical problems for fun (Tim Berners-Lee, maybe). Schneider has some elements of both.
    John Baez is another ILE who changed careers late in life, ironically in the opposite/practical direction (mathematical physics -> climate change research).

“For me, it’s just about pursuing things that are beautiful and mysterious and, also, maybe trying to be helpful [Si].”
    Again, the Si is there but it's "in the background", almost as an afterthought.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely forgot about this thread.

Here's a look at some Se themes:

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2019/01/14...ve-challenges/

Extrinsic motivation is Se/Ni, intrinsic motivation is Si. These strategies should be more effective if you value those elements.

Situation modification strategies would be Si, but attentional deployment strategies is more Fe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Truman would invite the media into his whitehouse bedroom. He started the West Wing I think and media conferences, as they werent a thing yet?

Anywho, I like the way he sounds, very magnetic and I enjoy that kind of magnetism. Sorry Im not commandering your thread. cary on.
    lol. a man was so retarded.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-45821932

National news is generally about "big" issues that affect everyone as a community - which you could say is Fe. But they also punctuate it with close-up stories about individuals that have more of an Fi appeal: usually something heartwrenching that will get you to sympathize with the subject. The above story is a good example of this.