Thread: Confusing article

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Confusing article

I have no idea if this has been answered by anyone. But, this article - http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/10/1/11.html talks about something called Socionics, and I'm wondering if it is at all related to Socionics the theory of information processing and personality type, the thing that brings us all here. The content of the article has a lot of similarities, but doesn't seem like it's based off the same Socionics I know.

I'm trying to formulate a research proposal for my sociology class and I want to write about the practical applications of Socionics. But, I can only use sociology research journal articles as sources.

Thanks.
    Last edited by gonermysticism; 01-07-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, this is totally separate from the Socionics we know.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah. Looks like an academic bullshit article.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to find who the "German National research foundation" is and what the "Socionics priority program" is. It was mention in the abstract, and i found thishttps://www.researchgate.net/publica..._and_Potential
    at the researchgate website and you find quotations from many articles including from the jasss article. They use the word agents and agency alot and they reference mbti.

For example:
    "... It became the entry point for a number of other schemas for personality that centre on personality differences between individuals. They include the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI) schema and its close relative Socionics linking Jung's conceptualisations with those of Freud and Kepinski ( Müller, Malsch & Schulz-Schaeffer, 1998). Other schemas include the Five Factor Method ( Cattel, 1945), often referred to as FFM or the Big Five. ..."

Tbh im not sure what much of this is, some german founded research stuff but it looks serious and it could be related to this Socionics. idk.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were to create a social AI maybe you would want it to be rooted in socionics, or maybe at the 1980s they did not know about socionics in germany/america and so they just took the same name. It seem to be a long shot so I do not think they are that closely related.

Here is the background part in the article:

"Research in Socionics began around 1980 when American computer scientists coming from the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI) turned to distributed problem solving and collaborative intelligence and became involved with sociologists who on their part wanted to understand and explain the social and organizational impacts of computation. At that time sociological studies on artificial social systems and social simulation deploying techniques from Distributed Artificial Intelligence (DAI) on one hand, and DAI research importing sociological conceptions into agent-oriented software engineering on the other, was still in its infancy.[1] In the early 1990s the new research field, which so far had hardly been noticed by mainstream AI and sociology, began to make progress, and with the awareness growing that DAI had a "problem of society construction" (Müller 1993), Gasser's dictum was eventually acknowledged that "current AI is largely a-social, and because of this, it has been inadequate in dealing with much human behaviour and many aspects of intelligence" (Gasser 1991: 108). As a consequence, at the end of the 1990s a wave of research activities was initiated."

This is kind of cool, maybe some cool info among these articles https://www.researchgate.net/search?q=socionics