View Poll Results: type of Stephen King?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

0 0%
  • SLE (ESTp)

1 11.11%
  • IEI (INFp)

2 22.22%
  • EIE (ENFj)

0 0%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

6 66.67%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stephen King

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Can you give me an example of an LII?
    Nope.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    I'm far too impatient. The writing is drawn out, another point for high Ni.
    Hm, I perceived it as more factual and dry but there we go, subjective views
    that's the same reason my IEI bf isn't a fan. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

some quotes from him on writing:

“So where do the ideas—the salable ideas—come from? They come from my nightmares. Not the night-time variety, as a rule, but the ones that hide just beyond the doorway that separates the conscious from the unconscious.”

“At parties, people usually approach the writer of horror fiction with a mixture of wonder and trepidation. … Most of us, you see, look and seem (and ARE) perfectly ordinary. We don’t drown houseguests in the bathtub, torture the children, or sacrifice the cat at midnight inside of a pentagram. There are no locked closets or screams from the cellar. Robert Bloch, author of Psycho, looks like a moderately successful used car salesman. Ray Bradbury bears an uncomfortable resemblance to Charles M. Shulz, creator of Peanuts.”

“When your story is ready for rewrite, cut it to the bone. Get rid of every ounce of excess fat. This is going to hurt; revising a story down to the bare essentials is always a little like murdering children, but it must be done.”

“Making people believe the unbelievable is no trick; it’s work. … Belief and reader absorption come in the details: An overturned tricycle in the gutter of an abandoned neighborhood can stand for everything. Or a broken billboard. Or weeds growing in the cracks of a library’s steps. Of course, none of this means a lot without characters the reader cares about (and sometimes characters—‘bad guys’—the reader is rooting against).”

“The writer must have a good imagination to begin with, but the imagination has to be muscular, which means it must be exercised in a disciplined way, day in and day out, by writing, failing, succeeding and revising.”

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.”

“Writers must be fair and remember even bad guys (most of them, anyway) see themselves as good—they are the heroes of their own lives. Giving them a fair chance as characters can create some interesting shades of gray—and shades of gray are also a part of life.”

"I have no particular spiritual insights, but I think every writer who does this on a daily basis has a ‘back channel’ to the subconscious that can be accessed pretty easily. Mine is wide and deep. I never write with an ax to grind, but I sense strongly that this world is a thin place indeed, simply a veil over a brighter and more amazing truth. To me, every ant, cloud and star seems to proclaim that there is more to existence than we know. I suppose that sounds like naturism and pantheism, and to some degree it is, but I also believe in a power greater than myself. If I die and that turns out to be wrong, there’s this advantage: I’ll never know.”

"Who gave you the idea I hate most of the film adaptations? There are at least eight really good ones, and the only one I can remember hating was [Stanley] Kubrick’s cold adaptation of The Shining; spending three hours watching an ant farm would be more emotionally uplifting.” (lol @Cassandra)

"There’s no outline, nothing like that. That freezes it, it takes what should be a liquid, plastic, malleable thing to me and turns it into something else. Hey, to me it’s the difference between going to a canvas and painting a picture and going out and buying a Craftsmaster paint-by-the-numbers kit.”

“The worst advice? ‘Don’t listen to the critics.’ I think that you really ought to listen to the critics, because sometimes they’re telling you something is broken that you can fix."

"There's nothing really very magical about it. … I think the best trick is experience.”

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    I'm far too impatient. The writing is drawn out, another point for high Ni.
    Hm, I perceived it as more factual and dry but there we go, subjective views
    Could be in TiNe not Ni. Which hits your impatience.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    some quotes from him on writing:

“So where do the ideas—the salable ideas—come from? They come from my nightmares. Not the night-time variety, as a rule, but the ones that hide just beyond the doorway that separates the conscious from the unconscious.”

“At parties, people usually approach the writer of horror fiction with a mixture of wonder and trepidation. … Most of us, you see, look and seem (and ARE) perfectly ordinary. We don’t drown houseguests in the bathtub, torture the children, or sacrifice the cat at midnight inside of a pentagram. There are no locked closets or screams from the cellar. Robert Bloch, author of Psycho, looks like a moderately successful used car salesman. Ray Bradbury bears an uncomfortable resemblance to Charles M. Shulz, creator of Peanuts.”

“When your story is ready for rewrite, cut it to the bone. Get rid of every ounce of excess fat. This is going to hurt; revising a story down to the bare essentials is always a little like murdering children, but it must be done.”

“Making people believe the unbelievable is no trick; it’s work. … Belief and reader absorption come in the details: An overturned tricycle in the gutter of an abandoned neighborhood can stand for everything. Or a broken billboard. Or weeds growing in the cracks of a library’s steps. Of course, none of this means a lot without characters the reader cares about (and sometimes characters—‘bad guys’—the reader is rooting against).”

“The writer must have a good imagination to begin with, but the imagination has to be muscular, which means it must be exercised in a disciplined way, day in and day out, by writing, failing, succeeding and revising.”

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.”

“Writers must be fair and remember even bad guys (most of them, anyway) see themselves as good—they are the heroes of their own lives. Giving them a fair chance as characters can create some interesting shades of gray—and shades of gray are also a part of life.”

"I have no particular spiritual insights, but I think every writer who does this on a daily basis has a ‘back channel’ to the subconscious that can be accessed pretty easily. Mine is wide and deep. I never write with an ax to grind, but I sense strongly that this world is a thin place indeed, simply a veil over a brighter and more amazing truth. To me, every ant, cloud and star seems to proclaim that there is more to existence than we know. I suppose that sounds like naturism and pantheism, and to some degree it is, but I also believe in a power greater than myself. If I die and that turns out to be wrong, there’s this advantage: I’ll never know.”

"Who gave you the idea I hate most of the film adaptations? There are at least eight really good ones, and the only one I can remember hating was [Stanley] Kubrick’s cold adaptation of The Shining; spending three hours watching an ant farm would be more emotionally uplifting.” (lol @Cassandra)

"There’s no outline, nothing like that. That freezes it, it takes what should be a liquid, plastic, malleable thing to me and turns it into something else. Hey, to me it’s the difference between going to a canvas and painting a picture and going out and buying a Craftsmaster paint-by-the-numbers kit.”

“The worst advice? ‘Don’t listen to the critics.’ I think that you really ought to listen to the critics, because sometimes they’re telling you something is broken that you can fix."

"There's nothing really very magical about it. … I think the best trick is experience.”
    Are these resonating with you as activator?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Are these resonating with you as activator?
    *shrug*

I find what he says to be interesting, easy to understand, and not antithetical to my worldview in any way. "resonating as an activator" is too specific for me to answer.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    *shrug*

I find what he says to be interesting, easy to understand, and not antithetical to my worldview in any way. "resonating as an activator" is too specific for me to answer.
    Fair enough it was a dumb question anyway.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Fair enough it was a dumb question anyway.
    lol aw. I will say he seems a bit flowery imo for an ILI, and it can be *slightly* offputting (people approaching him at parties w/ trepidation lmao)
    its not a big deal to me, but there is something imperfect(?) there.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm going to make a somewhat unorthodox typing: SLE

Just compare his mannerisms to Donald Trump.

Looks like a SLE math professor that lectured some courses. (His practice group exercises were pretty much guaranteed SLE stuff. )
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely Delta, leaning EII

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stephen King

sorry I didnt realize there was another thread open on him!
    Last edited by ooo; 01-12-2018 at 11:02 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI - Creative
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI-Te is pretty obvious even just from the non-fiction he’s wrote (like his how-to book on writing that I read in a class where he gave away a lot of his personality).
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Without Warning View Post
    ILI-Te is pretty obvious
    Ahshaha yeah true, they come with the pervy glasses included tho... well he def has the ILI look

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's too bad, because he is LII-Ti as they come.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

King's twitter is on fire. Sure JK Rowling has better clapbacks but I would not mess with him at all cost.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

calls for a book where some random singer and some random president get killed by some random author's mean spirits.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think of him as ILI. I wish I could post this whole excerpt from one of his books that I read last fall, that is so awesome and pretty Ni from Salems Lot, but I'd have to dig for it and it's like a whole awesome chapter.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asteria View Post
    I just think of him as ILI. I wish I could post this whole excerpt from one of his books that I read last fall, that is so awesome and pretty Ni from Salems Lot, but I'd have to dig for it and it's like a whole awesome chapter.
    share please if u ever find it again : ) i must admit ive only just read 'skeletons', which is a series of short novels and it didnt impress me too much. im not a fan of those spooky themes tbh and the narratives ive found often kind of banal... but maybe that was because of the short novel "style"

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stephen King - INTJ - Robespierre

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

King is an example of the many creative types who do not fit well within specific socionics types. Jungian wise, he seems very Ni over any other function. He is very much an introvert. IxI is very likely.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably ILI would be best for him. Since I know celebrities like reading their pages, shout-out to Victor Gulenko's Cognitive Styles since Stephen King seems like he could get some good inspiration from that, between it being a torture manual and it talking about how dialectical-algorithmic types can develop psychic or shamanic powers if they're properly traumatized. Everything from cognitive styles feels taken from a Stephen King novel, including making most types seem psychotic so everyone has to be typed LSI or EIE, less often ILI or IEI. My typing of Stephen King as ILI is more that that seems to be a common type for creative people and it seems to fit in this case, though there are even Ej creative people, Stephen King doesn't seem like one to me. L > F seems very right, though. I ignore quadra values and duality along with ignoring things like cognitive styles and activation/benefit rings from model G that make most types seem psychotic. Maybe most people are psychotic, that seems likely enough to me, but in that case Gulenko flatters them by waiving Sturgeon's Law for them and giving them types that were considered really rare in most other models of socionics. And in any case, ILI seems like one of the types that's less psychotic in model A, model G, and most of socionics in general, so there are no aspersions being cast on Stephen King by me typing him that. Stephen King is cool to me no matter how many creative writing degree pyramid scheme snobs think he's terrible. They just don't like that he writes about the weirdos and they're a bunch of normies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI is on the monaaay

Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he could be an Fe valuer or at least a tinge of Fe is visible on his public face. Extroverted stances, typical blocky extroverted vibe. Ni with some little hints of that Ne (I notice the latter bec it is mentally repulsive). I can't place his face anywhere else other than Ej though. He even reminds me of my grandmother (EIE), my super close childhood friend (Fe base), an entrepreneur/engineer (LIE) and Keith Raniere lol. He's just more academic looking like he's gonna stare at you when you mention something wrong and be like "well actually" but would also risk putting a lot of effort on someone to be helpful. Idk I can't see any angle that he vibes ILI, he doesn't look Ip even with N sub. There is just a difference between Ni lead and Ni creative. The latter looks like they constantly use mind-altering drugs, the Ni leads don't look like that but rather they appear to be the embodiment of drugs already. That was in jest but if you know you know. Why is their dual Se anyway? And nope not saying it's because Se leads love drugs but well, the internal spills to the external world anyway. He looks like he is a workaholic and would overdose on something just to be productive. I wonder if he could be that weird LIE I'm looking for. If he's not LIE I think EIE.
    Last edited by one; 11-20-2023 at 08:47 AM.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve changed my mind since 2018. I now think he is a Fe type. Prob EIE. He seems too extroverted to be IEI imo
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12