Thread: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe Movie

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe Movie

Haven't read the books in a while, althogh they're definitely some of my all-time favorites. Watching the movie as we speak, though

Any idea about types for the movie characters?

Peter - ESFj
    Susan - ISFj
    Edmond - INTp
    Lucy - ENFj
    Witch - ESTp
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edmund is so INTp. This one INTp I knew at school would do whatever I told him to do after I told him that I was a queen who lived between two hills. That's pretty much all you have to do to convince an INTp. Something about the hills fixates them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't remember much about the movie sadly Except that I liked it. I have to refresh my memory.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gilligan i think you've pegged the types, actually. i love the chronicles of narnia. i read them again and again as a child and just finished reading the series to my older daughter.

the movie was true to the book, although in the movie the scene where they are running over the river of ice, i don't think that happened in the book. the only scene i had a little trouble swallowing was the coronation scene, it was a little bit kiddish or something.

they are all set up to run through the whole series now. my favorites as a child was the voyage of the dawn treader and the silver chair. but my new favorite is the magician's nephew.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, Im a bit reluctant to give up my idea of who the Pevensies are and my intepretation of narnia, but I find that I'm able to keep the two separate and entertain both at the same time. However, now that I've seen the movies, those characters are what will come to mind when I think of the story, at least until I read the book again.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about types, but my favorite is The Horse and His Boy.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    I don't know about types, but my favorite is The Horse and His Boy.
    People who criticize CS Lewis say that The Horse and His Boy is racist. I am not sure i agree. What do you like about this one?

ILE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, now that I think about it, the "two hills" that Jadice lives between are actually a metaphor for her breasts (or sexuality), and at Edmund's age, the much-expressed disdain for the opposite sex is really just a defense mechanism, design to keep those difficult feelings at bay while he matures. However, children of that age frequently display a queer transfixion with the opposite gender. That's why Edmund couldn't resist.

Yeah.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

havent read any of these books in at least about seven years.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or perhaps Edmumd is a metaphor for discojoe! hahaha

ILE

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze8
    People who criticize CS Lewis say that The Horse and His Boy is racist. I am not sure i agree. What do you like about this one?
    ??? I've never heard that one before.

I liked the horses. I liked the animals. The book also has a little different feel from the rest, a different story, with heroes from Narnia (as opposed to our world), and a different setting. Plus, a lot of my favorite CS Lewis analogies come from that book. Like, where Aslan is walking beside Shasta in the dark. Or the conversation the two of them have where Aslan tells Shasta that it's his story that he needs to be concerned about, not Aravis'.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I see, I liked the horses too and how Shasta learns to ride. And then because he is taught to ride by Bree, he ends up being a great rider when he gets to Narnia.

You are right, Aslan teaches some direct lessons to both Aravis and Shasta, this is different than his broader lessons in other stories. Shasta is a great symbol for someone who is sort of downtrodden who realizes his strength picks himself up and becomes a prince. Aravis a haughty type who gets taken down a peg or two and learns to respect others especially Shasta. Sort of a lesson to the aggressor or something. What a great tale for all these reaons.

The people who think the book is racist say that CS Lewis portrays the Calormenes as sort of dark and evil compared to the light skinned Narnians. Like I say not sure I agree.

ILE

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I see. I didn't get any racist vibes from the book, and I'm usually pretty good at picking things like that up. Besides, wasn't Aravis a Calormen? From what I remember, she (and all the other Calormen individuals) was portrayed as a human with a different cultural background. What made the culture bad wasn't the skin color but how they treated people and fought with Narnia. But, I don't know. *shrug* I guess you could make a case for it, just like you could for anything. But that didn't even occur to me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't see any racism either, but once pointed out, I could sort of see why someone might feel that way. But I didn't take it that way.

The Magician's Nephew was kind of a cool read when I read it to my daughter. Previously it had been my least favorite after the Last Battle. In the Last Battle I felt sad.

ILE